"Gee Whiz" Lactation Facts
- Human milk has over 300 ingredients, including interferon, white blood cells, antibacterial and antiviral agents, while formula has only 40 ingredients.
- Human milk has been shown to kill cancer cells in a laboratory dish and has been used in oncology.
- The human breast "custom-makes" antibodies to fight whatever pathogen the infant is exposed to in the environment.
- Breast milk has been used to treat eye infections, ear infections, pimples, cold sores, and nail fungus and prevent infection in scrapes and scratches.
- In some parts of the world, donated organs are bathed in breast milk for the protective factors.
- There were 22 "significant" recalls of formula for potentially life-threatening situations.
- Human milk lactoferrin is patented for use in killing E. Coli in the meat packing industry.
- Donor milk is being used to treat malabsorption and short-gut syndromes, renal failure, inborn errors of metabolism, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, immunodeficiency diseases, burn cases, cardiac problems, and infectious diseases such as intractable diarrhea, gastroenteritis, infantile botulism, sepsis, pneumonia, and hemorrhagic conjuctivitis in both children and adults.
- Adoptive moms, grandmothers, and yes, even men (!) have been able to lactate for an infant.
This handout may be copied and distributed without further permission, on the condition that it is not used in any context in which the WHO code on the marketing of breastmilk substitutes is violated.
Copyright © Pregnancy.org