by Sharon Jacobsen
Mums have always been curious about the sex of the child they are carrying. In the days before scans were available, women used all kinds of weird and wonderful methods of defining the sex of their child.
Here are a few Old Wives' Tales that I heard during my 26 months of pregnancy (no, I didn't have a very long pregnancy, I've got 3 kids). Remember though, that they are only for fun:
- If your left breast is bigger than the right during pregnancy, you're having a girl. If the right is bigger, it'll be a boy. If they are the same size, you're in for a surprise!
- If you get moody during pregnancy you are more likely to have a girl. This is because all women are moody, and when carrying a girl you become doubly so.
- If you carry the baby out front (others can’t see your pregnancy from behind) then you will have a boy. If others can tell that you are pregnant when looking at you from behind, then you will have a girl.
- Have the mum-to-be pick up a key. If she picks it up by the round end, it will be a boy. If she picks it up by the long end, it will be a girl. Should she pick it up at the middle, twins are on the way.
- If the mother's age at conception and the year of conception are both even or both odd, the baby is a girl. If one is even and one is odd, the baby is a boy.
- Ask the mum-to-be to pick a number. Match the number with the corresponding letter of the alphabet (A=1, B=2 etc). Then ask her to choose a name beginning with that letter. If she chooses a boys name, it will be a boy. If she chooses a girls name, it will be a girl.
- Hang a gold pendant (preferably one the mother wears often) over the palm of the mother’s hand. If the pendant moves in a circular motion, it will be a girl. If it swings back and forth, a boy is on the way.
- If the mum-to-be was the more aggressive partner when the baby was conceived, it will be a boy. If the father was the more aggressive, the baby will be a girl.
- If you suffer from acne during pregnancy, you will have a girl.
- What side does the mum-to-be lay on while she's resting? If she lies on her left, it's a boy; on her right, it's a girl.
- If young boys (pre-school age) show interest in you while you're pregnant, it will be a girl. If they ignore you, expect a boy.
- Ask the mum-to-be to show you her hands. If she shows them palms up, it's a girl; palms down, a boy.
- If you dream of girls, you will have a boy. If you dream of boys, you will have a girl.
Sharon Jacobsen is founder/administrator of FriendsYourWay.co.uk, a web service designed to help women meet other women for platonic friendships in their local area of the UK. Having grown up in East London, Sharon moved to Norway at the age of 19, where she remained until 1998. She now lives in Cheshire with her partner and two of her three children.
Copyright © Sharon Jacobsen. Permission to republish granted to Pregnancy.org, LLC.