by the Wiser Pregnancy team
• Why should I have amniocentesis?
• When should I have the procedure done?
• What are the risks to me and my baby of having amniocentesis?
• What are the risks of not having it?
• How is the procedure performed?
• What should I expect before, during and after the procedure?
• What are possible complications or side effects of the procedure?
• What information will the test give me?
• When will the results be available, and who will explain them?
• How accurate is this test?
• What are our next steps following the test, whether the results are normal or abnormal?
• What other tests might be needed? Are there any alternative tests to amniocentesis?
These questions are based on research published by publicly available and private medical information sources on the topic.
Copyright © Wiser Pregnancy. Permission to republish granted to Pregnancy.org, LLC.