by the Wiser Pregnancy team
• Why do you recommend an NST?
• How much does an NST cost? How much of the cost is typically covered by my insurance or HMO?
• What are the advantages of having one? What are the disadvantages or limitations of the test?
• Can you tell me how the procedure is done? Who does it? How long will it take?
• Do I need to do anything special to prepare for the test?
• What information will the test give us?
• When will the results be available and who will explain them?
• What might it mean if my results are not normal (nonreactive)?
• What are our next steps after the test, whether I have normal or abnormal results?
• What further testing might I need if we get back nonreactive results?
• Is this a one-time test, or do you recommend regular NSTs? If I should have another NST, when should I have it done? Why?
• Are there any alternative tests to give me the same information? What are the pros and cons of the other tests?
These questions are based on research published by publicly available and private medical information sources on the topic.
Copyright © Wiser Pregnancy. Permission to republish granted to Pregnancy.org, LLC.