by Courtney Sullivan
Creamy pasta, chicken and a touch of warmth -- sure to comfort on those days you're not feeling your best.
While it may not be just like mom made it, the familiar fragrances and tastes will transport you "back home."
You can substitute long grain brown rice penne pasta for a gluten-free dish or soy cheese for dairy-free.
Cheesy Chicken Salsa Skillet
Makes four servings
Preparation time: 25 minutes
• 2 cups multigrain (or gluten-free) penne pasta, uncooked
• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 1/4 cups salsa
• 1 cup cauliflower cut into flowerettes
• 1 large green pepper, cut into short thin strips
• 1/4 cup sliced olives
• 1/2 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
• pepper grinder
• parsley for garnish
Cook the pasta as directed on package. While it's cooking, heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray (or your favorite olive oil) on medium-high heat. Add the chicken; cook for two minutes. Stir in the salsa, cauliflower, olives and peppers and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Drain pasta and add to the chicken mixture. Mix lightly. Sprinkle it with cheese and remove from heat; cover. Let stand 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Top with freshly ground pepper and garnish with parsley if desired.
• Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
• 395 calories (+10 calories for olive oil)
• 5g fat (+1g fat for olive oil)
• 2g saturated fat (+.2g for olive oil)
• 42g protein
• 49g carbohydrate
• 7.25g fiber
Copyright © Pregnancy.org.