by Julie Snyder
The delicious side dishes for a fancy feast don't have to take you hours to whip up.
Buy a bag of French-style green beans, and you're halfway to this side dish. Microwave them right before serving.
Dress them up in their dish and serve -- they'll never know you didn't slave over a hot stove!
Prep time: 5 minutes | Total time: 10 minutes | Yield: 6 to 8 servings
• 16-ounce package frozen, French-style green beans
• 2 tablespoons water
• drizzle of olive oil or melted butter
• Mrs. Dash salt-free herb blends OR
• 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded OR
• 1/4 cup slivered or slice almonds OR
• 1/2 red pepper, sliced and sautéed in oil OR
• 1/2 onion, sliced and caramelized in butter or oil
Place the green beans in a casserole dish with the water. Cover and microwave on high until crisp-tender, stirring once, about 7 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare your topping. When the beans are tender, but crisp, drizzle with the butter or oil and sprinkle with one or more toppings.
The same quick trick works with a variety of vegetables -- squash, spaghetti squash, Brussels sprouts, spinach, cauliflower and broccoli. Fiber-packed and full of flavor, these vegetable side dish recipes will round out any dinner and don't take long to make.
What your favorite go-to recipe when you need a quick and easy vegetable dish?
Photo courtesy of iStockphoto.