by Caitlyn Stace
Imagine a seven-layer dip so easy to assemble that your chip or dipping tool dives into layers of guilt-free goodness!
Since your creation contains protein, dairy and veggies, you can serve this dip as a meal or have as a fulfilling and healthy snack!
We've decreased the guilt factor by substituting reduced-fat tortilla chips (homemade or store-bought), low or fat-free beans, cheese, yogurt, and plenty of fresh veggies. The end result contains less calories and sodium, but the same amount of "yum" factor.
Whether you call it Mexican dip, taco dip, bean layer dip, or Seven-Layer Dip, it's a winner at get-togethers, barbecues, parties and celebrations. We give this recipe "two-scoops" up!
No Guilt Seven-Layer Dip
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes | Yield: 16-20 servings
• 2 cans fat-free refried beans (or make your own)
• 3 medium-sized ripe avocados
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 1/2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
• 1 package taco seasoning mix
• 1 bunch green onions, chopped
• 3 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped
• 2 small cans pitted ripe sliced olives, drained
• 8 ounces grated 2% or fat-free sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/4 cup pickled jalepeño peppers, sliced
Spread the refried beans in a pie plate or other large, shallow dish. In a bowl, mash the avocados, lime juice and salt (if using) together. Spread on top of beans. Mix the Greek yogurt and taco seasoning. Spoon on top of the avocado. Layer with the tomatoes and onions. Top with the cheddar cheese and olives. Sprinkle with sliced jalepeño peppers. Serve with tortilla chips, pita bread or crackers.
You can make the dip a day ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to use.
We took a classic recipe and made it healthier without compromising the flavor or the appearance. You can browse our list we used to substitute for the "less healthy" ingredients:
- Substitute Plain Greek yogurt for sour cream (alternatively, use non-fat sour cream)
- Substitute non-fat refried beans for regular refried beans
- Substitute mashed avocados goodness for guacamole dip
- Substitute Reduced-fat or fat-free cheddar for regular cheddar
- Substitute Canned salsa Fresh tomatoes and onions for canned salsa
How do you like to make yours? Share in the comments!
Copyright © Pregnancy.org.