Do your children love chicken nuggets? We bet your baby bump does, too! Do you cringe when you think of the fat and calories?
Try our healthy chicken nuggets next time you're clamoring for fast food. The crispy coating reminds you of fast food, the spice blend makes them tastier and you all get a splurge that's good for you!
Nutritious Chicken Nuggets
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Makes 4 servings
• 1 pound boneless chicken breast or chicken tenders
• 1 1/3 cup whole grain cereal flakes (corn flakes, total, oat flakes), crushed
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1/2 cup drained pineapple
• 1/2 cup plain, fat-free yogurt
• 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
Preheat oven to 400°. Stir together crushed cereal and paprika. Cut chicken into 1-2" cubes. Dip each piece into egg and then into coating mixture. Arrange nuggets on a lined baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes and flip with tongs. Bake another 10 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
While the nuggets bake, make a dipping sauce by blending the pineapple and citrus juice. Add yogurt and stir. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Tip: Bake up a batch of sweet potato oven fries at the same time and serve with raw vegetable strips for a complete meal.
• Serving Size: About four nuggets
• 197 calories
• 3g fat
• 1g saturated fat
• 28g protein
• 12g carbohydrate
• 0.6g fiber
Copyright © Pregnancy.org.