by Carles Cavazos Brito
Many moms-to-be find carbs have joined the "must-have" list. Others notice beans help calm the morning sickness. Do you need more fiber in your diet? Whole grain tortillas, beans, and vegetables help combat constipation. Our chimichanga recipe covers all these and adds a ground turkey protein boost!
Quick and Easy Chimichangas
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
• 8-inch whole-wheat or whole-grain tortillas
• 1 12-ounce can of fat free refried beans
• 1 12-ounce can of black beans, drained
• 1 12-ounce can of red kidney beans, drained
• 1 jalapeño or small can diced jalepeño, drained
• 1 12-ounce can of diced tomatoes
• 1/2 cup of onions
• 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
• 1 pound of lean ground turkey
Brown ground turkey in a large size pot and drain. Roast the jalapeño over an open flame, peel the skin, and chop (optional: use small can of jalepeños). Add the chopped jalapeño, beans, onions, and tomatoes to the ground turkey and cook over medium-low heat 15 minutes. Add cheese and remove from heat.
Place 3/4 cup of mix in the middle of each tortilla and fold with no open ends. Place on a cookie sheet and bake on 350 for 15 minutes. Great with salad or baked asparagus (lightly coat with olive oil, sprinkle of seasoning, spread on cookie sheet and baked about 12-15 minutes). Wrap leftovers in foil and pop in the freezer for a future meal.
Round out this healthy meal with salad and fresh fruit.
Copyright © Pregnancy.org.