As your pregnancy continues, it becomes more and more important for you and your partner to reduce and manage the old, the familiar and the new stresses in your lives.
These points may help you maintain your physical and mental well-being:
- Review and reinforce what you're learning about pregnancy -- in childbirth preparation classes, the books and articles you've read, and the videos you've watched.
- Identify and utilize available support services.
- Take time to communicate openly and frequently with each other.
- Investigate pregnancy stress-management methods; these are designed to teach pregnant couples how to reduce stress through active relaxation, a coping strategy to deal with the changes encountered during pregnancy. Specifics may include:
- Breathing awareness.
- Breathing and imagery.
- Relaxation exercise for body muscles, which is sometimes accompanied by imagery.
- Massage therapy
Reprinted with permission from Her Healthcare