whole wheat or multigrain tortillas
cans of beans - refried, black, red kidney
canned or fresh tomatoes
low or fat free already grated cheese
jalepeno or canned jalepenos
whatever fresh veggies are on sale or a sack of good salad mix
60% dark chocolate
2 burrito size wheat tortillas
1 12oz can of fat free refried beans
1 12oz can of black beans
1 12oz can of red kidney beans
1 12 can of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of onions
1 cup of fat free mexican blend cheese.
1lb of lean ground turkey
1. Brown turkey in a large size pot and drain.
2. Roast the jalapeno over an open flame, peel the skin, and chop (or laze out and open a can of jalepenos).
3. Add the chopped jalapeno, beans, onions, and tomatoes to the ground bean and blend well over a medium flame for 15 minutes.
4. Add cheese and remove from heat
5. Put 1 cup of mix in the middle of each burrito and fold with no open end
6. Place on a cookie sheet and bake on 350 for 15 minutes
Have with a salad or freshly steamed vegetable. If you're feeling really adventuresome, make baked asparagus as a side dish (Lightly oil washed asparagus, place on cookie sheet, season and bake about 12-15 minutes). I love to have iced water with a slice of lime to drink and a square of really dark chocolate for dessert.
Factoids and Other Stuff
Whole grain tortillas, beans, and vegetables equal fiber. Constipation can be a huge problem during pregnancy. Increasing fiber intake and staying hydrated are two great weapons available to combat. This meal offers both!