Chocolate bunnies, peeps, and jelly beans invasion?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
MissyJ's picture
Joined: 01/31/02
Posts: 3218
Chocolate bunnies, peeps, and jelly beans invasion?

Many of you are joining me in dealing with Easter basket aftermath. That blasted "grass" seems to be everywhere! Unfortunately, after multiple "egg hunts", baskets, and trips to grandma's we seem to have had a candy invasion here! At the rate that we dole it out, it feels like it would make it to *next* Valentine's day!! YIKES!

What's your strategy for all the extra candy in your house? I've tried offering to share with others only to be turned down... flat (and then some!) I know that there are ways that people torture Peeps and those hollow bunnies, but I think I have a secret fear of becoming Sid from Toy Story -- only with candied creatures. LOL Throwing it out in the trash seems like such a waste (after all there ARE children somewhere that must appreciate having gooey marshmallow sugar in 49 different colors all over their clothes, mouths, hands, and upholstery.)

Have a game plan for that pile of jelly beans calling your name? SHARE!!

mom2robbie's picture
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

Have you asked a nearby Woman's Shelter? I know the ones around here take candy at Halloween as the kids can't get out.

girlisrad's picture
Joined: 04/24/07
Posts: 1587

I let the kids eat it.It's only a few times a year....A few days of candy -induced insanity, then its over. If there is too much, DH will take some to work. Other than that, they are free to enjoy it.

Don't understand why people give their children candy then won't let them eat it.... kinda cruel.

MissyJ's picture
Joined: 01/31/02
Posts: 3218

Joee,

I generally am of the same mindset! This time even the kids appear to be overwhelmed. I definitely don't want to "help" as unfortunately for every peep that weighs less than an ounce I seem to convert to 10 lbs. (*very slight exaggeration LOL) The kids love the fun of participating in the hunts and getting goodie baskets, but I believe it is more the excitement than all they came away with this time. (Granted - trust that they do love treats... just not *this* much!)

Margaret, I'll try calling the women's shelter. I know that when we tried donating candy before to homeless shelters it needed to be unopened packages.

In the meantime:

girlisrad's picture
Joined: 04/24/07
Posts: 1587

"MissyJ" wrote:

Joee,

I generally am of the same mindset! This time even the kids appear to be overwhelmed. I definitely don't want to "help" as unfortunately for every peep that weighs less than an ounce I seem to convert to 10 lbs. (*very slight exaggeration LOL) The kids love the fun of participating in the hunts and getting goodie baskets, but I believe it is more the excitement than all they came away with this time. (Granted - trust that they do love treats... just not *this* much!)

Margaret, I'll try calling the women's shelter. I know that when we tried donating candy before to homeless shelters it needed to be unopened packages.

In the meantime:

BWAHAAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Hilarious!!!

And yes, I have 3 boxes of Chirps, all with 1 chirp missing on top of my fridge right now. I think I will plant them and see if they sprout.

Jules's picture
Joined: 10/03/01
Posts: 797

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it...but I send most of the sweets with dh to work and hope that someone else "needs" candy worse than me.

I do have an article scheduled for October on leftover Halloween candy and some stuff to do with it. I'll try to remember to share it that month.

Here's something I wonder about though...why do we buy into the idea that for a holiday to be fun for kids that it has to be loaded with unhealthy treats? This last month I've seen so many cute ideas but very few include anything you'd want to admit that you actually encouraged your toddler to eat.

girlisrad's picture
Joined: 04/24/07
Posts: 1587

"Jules" wrote:

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it...but I send most of the sweets with dh to work and hope that someone else "needs" candy worse than me.

I do have an article scheduled for October on leftover Halloween candy and some stuff to do with it. I'll try to remember to share it that month.

Here's something I wonder about though...why do we buy into the idea that for a holiday to be fun for kids that it has to be loaded with unhealthy treats? This last month I've seen so many cute ideas but very few include anything you'd want to admit that you actually encouraged your toddler to eat.

that's because as a parent? I spend 99% of my daily energy TRYING to encourage good habits! Fruit! Lets RUN! ABC's ANYONE???? Holidays are there for a reason, to celebrate! And celebration is a reasonable time to indulge. If you look at the history of celebration... and I do not mean any-one particular celebration in general....they are celebrated with food, and typically a food that enriches parts of a human that are not necessarily nutritionally necessary. MOST celebrations are about fertility!Mostly crops, but some human. It IS about enjoying bounty. In America, we have so lost focus on what was once a harvest tradition, because nearly every crop is readily available year round. Food is steeped in tradition and in my humble opinion, a very very real and necessary part of an celebration (fasting aside.)

batbird's picture
Joined: 08/29/06
Posts: 325

Usually I try for a 24/48 hour sugar high, then it is gone. That said, Robby has decided he doesn't like chocolate and peeps, and Liam only eats chocolate. For the candy, any left and not eaten, freeze and use for baby shower decorations. I say all this while stuffing myself with peeps!

MissyJ's picture
Joined: 01/31/02
Posts: 3218

"girlisrad" wrote:

that's because as a parent? I spend 99% of my daily energy TRYING to encourage good habits! Fruit! Lets RUN! ABC's ANYONE???? Holidays are there for a reason, to celebrate! And celebration is a reasonable time to indulge. If you look at the history of celebration... and I do not mean any-one particular celebration in general....they are celebrated with food, and typically a food that enriches parts of a human that are not necessarily nutritionally necessary. MOST celebrations are about fertility!Mostly crops, but some human. It IS about enjoying bounty. In America, we have so lost focus on what was once a harvest tradition, because nearly every crop is readily available year round. Food is steeped in tradition and in my humble opinion, a very very real and necessary part of an celebration (fasting aside.)

Excellent post Joee! TFS!

"batbird" wrote:

Usually I try for a 24/48 hour sugar high, then it is gone. That said, Robby has decided he doesn't like chocolate and peeps, and Liam only eats chocolate. For the candy, any left and not eaten, freeze and use for baby shower decorations. I say all this while stuffing myself with peeps!

Susan - the baby shower idea is great! I wonder... just how long do "peeps" last? LOL

Julie - to answer your question, I do search for things other than candy to include in egg hunts. I love Oriental Trading for that reason... but candy remains a part of it as 1)a special treat as Joee indicated -- typically reserved for major holidays... and 2)cost. Let's face it -- candy in bulk tends to be easier on the wallet than non-candied treats.

AshnBill's picture
Joined: 11/06/06
Posts: 5333

A friend of mine has the Switch Witch come on the night of Halloween, Easter, etc. The Switch Witch takes all of the candy, and replaces it with a toy while the kids are sleeping. I'm not sure, but I think the kids get to pick out 5 or so pieces of candy to keep before she comes.