BBB 29

1147 posts / 0 new
Last post
toothy35's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 02/20/06
Posts: 4578

"EmilyC3" wrote:

I have been watching waaaaay too much Say Yes to the Dress.....I had a dream last night I was having a wedding and I got a Panina dress. That is so not me, lol. I have absolutely no popular designer brand clothes. Unless you count Old Navy Wink

LOL.........i've never watched it either......and my local mall just closed down the other famous designer you speak of........old navy!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: how could they do that??????????

msmama........hope the meds kick in fast..........

kristimcw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/03/07
Posts: 1914

"msmama" wrote:

Didn't read back.

Gonna stuff our faces quick before taking the kid to school.

Went to the doc and he gave me Zithromax (abs): Take 2 pills the first day then 1 pill every day for the next 4 days.

Does that mean 2 at the same time or just 2 sometime today?

Didn't think to ask the doc or the pharmacist.

usually on the "z pack" you take two at the same time, as a double dose and then just one pill for the next 4 days.

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

Em, you would look drop dead gorgeous in a Panina. I think you should totally get one. Wink

Em, that z-pac should make you feel like new very quickly.

Abs is talking up a storm. Totally NOT what this house is used to, and I know it's totally normal and she is right on schedule, but it's still a jaw dropper for us. LOL

Jumarse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/27/07
Posts: 5219

"toothy35" wrote:

LOL.........i've never watched it either......and my local mall just closed down the other famous designer you speak of........old navy!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: how could they do that??????????

msmama........hope the meds kick in fast..........

ROFL

That's awesome Mel!!! I remember way back you talked about Abs babbling and it just being so incredible, and that's where we're at now, it's so amazing to hear!! Oh and meant to comment earlier on the wake up time. Jax goes to bed at 7:30, right? Would he take to 7pm and get up a little earlier or do you think that would have no effect?

kristimcw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/03/07
Posts: 1914

I guess you could say I was being vain working out before standing up in front of the church in my itty bitty dress...LOL....and I dont care. I havent felt good about my self for so long, I am doing the working out for me......of course DH says he is having trouble keeping his hands off me.....:rolleyes: and then I am cruising the Alaskan Seas in July, so more motivation to be all smoking hot. (insert smilie with a cartoon character doing cartwheels and jumping up and down....) that is how I feel about getting away!!!!!!!

I just cant wait for my DVD....six pack in six weeks by jillian........I have until May 19 (wedding on 21st) to get my arms looking good and I have until July 6 to get in swim suit condition. I am not even shopping for cruise clothes until about mid June..........

shefrn1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/28/07
Posts: 4148

"msmama" wrote:

Didn't read back.

Gonna stuff our faces quick before taking the kid to school.

Went to the doc and he gave me Zithromax (abs): Take 2 pills the first day then 1 pill every day for the next 4 days.

Does that mean 2 at the same time or just 2 sometime today?

Didn't think to ask the doc or the pharmacist.

take 2 at the same time..but after i quoted you i realized that everyone else answered you already...lol....:)

"luangwa" wrote:

Em, you would look drop dead gorgeous in a Panina. I think you should totally get one. Wink

Em, that z-pac should make you feel like new very quickly.

Abs is talking up a storm. Totally NOT what this house is used to, and I know it's totally normal and she is right on schedule, but it's still a jaw dropper for us. LOL

Yahoo

"luangwa" wrote:

My mother's family. Her brother died of a massive heart attack the day before his 40th b-day. Her father died in his early 50s after several heart attacks. My mom had a triple bypass at the age of 52, it was supposed to be a quad, but when they got in, they had to replace a heart valve and restructure part of her heart wall due to many 'smaller' heart attacks that she had over a period of 2 weeks. She then was on coumadin to control the artificial valve, had a stroke like 7 years later then she died at 67 from Multiple Myloma, which I'm convinced is from taking rat poisoning every day for 15 years.

they actually don't use it to control the valve...it's so that the valve doesn't form clots because it was probably a mechanical valve which you body identifies as a 'foreign object' and it tries to fight it by sending platelets there...so the coumadin thins the blood so that doesn't happen......they have actually recently developed a different med in place of coumadin but at the present moment they are only using it for atrialfibrillation ...not for valves yet!!!!

forget what else...sorry ...gotta go read again

toothy35's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 02/20/06
Posts: 4578

mel............that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! it is shocking.... YAY abs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shefrn1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/28/07
Posts: 4148

i now remember some of whatelse i wanted to say!!!

someone said something about heart disease and genetics and abusing the body!!!

we see it ALL.THE.TIME at work.....the big use 500 pound smoker comes in with chestpain and shortness of breath and their cath is totally fine no disease...then the lil skinny avid runner with a heartrate in the 40's comes in without any symptoms but had changes in an EKG on a physical gets cathed and has 3VD and needs bypass......alot to do with genetics...don't get me wrong...we also see it the otherway around too but alot of it..more than you realize is genetics!!!!

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

Peg, I knew all the detes about the valve, it was just easier to type it the way I said it. But, probably not good for those that didn't know, because it sounded like I gave bogus info. ROFL

I'm going to be the skinny minny 40 something that needs the triple bypass. Sad

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

"Jumarse" wrote:

ROFL

That's awesome Mel!!! I remember way back you talked about Abs babbling and it just being so incredible, and that's where we're at now, it's so amazing to hear!! Oh and meant to comment earlier on the wake up time. Jax goes to bed at 7:30, right? Would he take to 7pm and get up a little earlier or do you think that would have no effect?

I know it's just crazy isn't it? Just you wait. She is waving and saying Ba Ba Ba at the same time. She claps and says YAAAAY. I walk in the room or get in her field of vision after being gone for a second and she will see me and say Hiiiiiiiiiii. She'll drop something and say uh-oh. When Rick comes in the door from work, she crawls to him saying da da da da da. It's freaking incredibly amazing to us. LOL

shefrn1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/28/07
Posts: 4148

"luangwa" wrote:

Peg, I knew all the detes about the valve, it was just easier to type it the way I said it. But, probably not good for those that didn't know, because it sounded like I gave bogus info. ROFL

I'm going to be the skinny minny 40 something that needs the triple bypass. Sad

me too.....i'm not a total skinn minny though but i'm not huge either...but it's in my genetics that i will prolly need bypass too....my mom had it when she was 69 and her dad died of a heartattack in his 60's too i think...may have been 70's

Jumarse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/27/07
Posts: 5219

Hey Peg I just thought of Steve's new job, how's it going????

Mel, not that any parent isn't excited to hear talking, but from one parent to another where a speech delay was involved with a child, knowing your other child(ren) aren't going down the same path is wonderful! I think it's been said before, but it's like WOW, so THIS is how it's supposed to happen, lol!!!

RoxieBlue's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/29/07
Posts: 443

hello hello hello!

nothing exciting to report. I never ended up getting that family pic when we were at the wedding in Rhode Island 2 weeks ago- I was so freaking pissed. I didn't even get any pics at all except this and then since she was not cooperating I just gave up.

RoxieBlue's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/29/07
Posts: 443

I updated me avi neener neener!

shefrn1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/28/07
Posts: 4148

his new job is going great...but he's super tired and cranky....things have not been pretty here when i get home from work...he's working overtimed and he needs to just suck it up cause that's what he wanted!!! when we go away it's gonna be much deserved and much needed that's for sure!!

you should have seen the condition of this place when i got home last night...he made the kids spaghetti (no sauce) and i walked in the door it was ALLOVER the kitchen...he had them upstairs giving them a bath and was miserable!!!!

so yea...i just took them grocery shopping which isn't too bad since he usually goes to the produce place but i did all the produce shopping today too at the shoprite

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

[CODE][/CODE]

"Jumarse" wrote:

Hey Peg I just thought of Steve's new job, how's it going????

Mel, not that any parent isn't excited to hear talking, but from one parent to another where a speech delay was involved with a child, knowing your other child(ren) aren't going down the same path is wonderful! I think it's been said before, but it's like WOW, so THIS is how it's supposed to happen, lol!!!

Yes, Julie Exactly!!!! Not to mention, that for Rick, it has been an eye opener. I think he very much regrets blowing off my concerns when Jax was a baby. He has said more than once that if Abs had been first, he would have recognized that there WAS something more than just a 'little off' with Jaxon. Even now, with Jax 'trying' to say more, there was a period of time that Rick went back to his old mind set of 'he's just a late talker'. Then we had my bff's daughter here for an evening. She is a year younger than Jax and he again admitted that maybe 'Jax just isn't a late talker'. I had to point out that unless you are in the room when he says something, you can't understand him. He talks to Jax every morning on the phone, and unless I interpret, he has no idea what was said, and the boy says the exact same thing to him every morning. Why is it so hard for men to 'accept' a 'disabilty'? Ooops sorry got off on a tangent.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 01/17/07
Posts: 508

"luangwa" wrote:

Peg, I knew all the detes about the valve, it was just easier to type it the way I said it. But, probably not good for those that didn't know, because it sounded like I gave bogus info. ROFL

I'm going to be the skinny minny 40 something that needs the triple bypass. Sad

Add me to the list.. I am afraid of what happens is they don't catch it before its too late though. Scary thought. I have had the complete cardiac workup too, but I am still worried that they missed something. There is only so much they can catch on echo stress tests, ekgs and blood work, you know? Without actually cathing you.. Which, I am sure would not be done unless I was having symptoms.

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

Oh, I, without a doubt know, that if I had a cath done today, I'd probably be going in for a stent placement or 2.

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

Just smile and wave Boys, Smile and wave.

I think we'll watch madagascar when jax gets up from his nap. I need to vacuum and mop. My house needs to be cleaned by Sat. We are going out on a double date and the babysitting is being done here.

StateChick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/22/07
Posts: 3629

I have done nothing today. I am unbelievably tired and Cadence has done nothing but try my patience at every given opportunity.

Guess I'll try to go make a quick spaghetti sauce while Wade is sleeping!

YooperGirl8's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 10/24/08
Posts: 1095

Two days and there is absolutly no way I can catch up. I tried.

School has been eerie the past two days. Yesterday, we had crisis centers for each grade level, the kids wore pink and yellow (her two favorite colors), brough roses and made put them around the tree in front. Today I had 30 kids on my team out to attend the funeral. Eighth grade was deserted. It's just soooo sad.

PaulaJoFSU's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/12/07
Posts: 4019

:(, how awful Sad ugh I can't even imagine

PaulaJoFSU's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/12/07
Posts: 4019

worst mother award coming at me! Sad

I am tired, Landon is REALLY tired. Together we are LOTS of fun. So we read books in my bed for like EVER tonight, and I am just so irritable with everything because he is tired.. and well...you get the picture...

fast forward to him in bed. everything was an issue. Finally I pulled the covers out from under him and he goes flying backwards off the bed and cracks his head on the hard wood floor Sad

ugh. i got laughter before I finally tucked him in but how ridiculous of me to lose my temper like that. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

guilty. major guilt.

off to do my workout to blow off some steam because I obviously need to. Craptastic mother

kristimcw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/03/07
Posts: 1914

"StateChick" wrote:

I have done nothing today. I am unbelievably tired and Cadence has done nothing but try my patience at every given opportunity.

Guess I'll try to go make a quick spaghetti sauce while Wade is sleeping!

I dont know why when you are tired, the kids 'sense' it and try to be as bad and not listen as much as possible......

Hope you get some rest soon!!

how was the sauce?

StateChick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/22/07
Posts: 3629

Ugh, 4 hours later and I am finally sitting down again. :rolleyes:

Spaghetti was pretty good. Sauce was a little thin. Do yall use tomato paste? I do sometimes and sometimes I don't, but some of the diced tomatoes I used tonight were a different store brand and they were really watery.

Anyway, PAULA, try not to feel too guilty...I was right there with you tonight. I don't REMEMBER the last time we had both girls in bed before 8:00pm, but I just couldn't handle any more tonight.

A few things Cadence did today:
*dumped out the bowl of cereal that dh fixed her onto the floor (before I got up, but I had to clean up, of course)
*fixed her another bowl and a cup of milk, that she spilled everywhere
*starter poop in her panties two times...WHY?! Ugh
*colored with her crayons all over the kitchen counter

I though of Tracy...at least it didn't fly all over the room!

Deb, so sorry about that student at your school. Sad How's Grace been?

kristimcw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/03/07
Posts: 1914

"YooperGirl8" wrote:

Two days and there is absolutly no way I can catch up. I tried.

School has been eerie the past two days. Yesterday, we had crisis centers for each grade level, the kids wore pink and yellow (her two favorite colors), brough roses and made put them around the tree in front. Today I had 30 kids on my team out to attend the funeral. Eighth grade was deserted. It's just soooo sad.

We had a student pass away two years ago....fourth grade. And even the anniversary is hard for the kids still. It is so sad.

Jumarse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/27/07
Posts: 5219

Didn't catch up much because my dad is here, but just wanted to say again how crappy that is Deb. Sad

And Mel it's not just men....how many people said he'll talk when he's ready, he's just a late talker, he just doesn't have much to say, he'll talk in no time, etc etc etc. It's just hard fir people to say something is WRONG. But, the good thing is things are getting fixed!

Sorry for all the hard days. Sad

Peg I hear ya on the men and work thing. Hopefully the vaca will make things alllllll better!

Peej don't beat yourself up. I hope you both get rest tonite!!

Candace, Wade still okay? And yep I use tomato paste!!

K that's what I remember and what was on this page!!

Jumarse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 02/27/07
Posts: 5219

Oh yeah loved the pic Rox!

chefkel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 08/06/07
Posts: 2190

*gasp* Owen ate broccoli!

I did bowtie pasta in the philly cooking creme (italian one) and added frozen chopped broccoli.. he ate it all!

*gasp*

PaulaJoFSU's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/12/07
Posts: 4019

Julie, how long is your dad there for!!!! He running any marathons anytime soon? super grandpa!

Candace, hope everyone is in bed for you too! :bigarmhug:

just vented to myself about nothing and deleted it. Felt better to write it. lol man this pis$ poor mood needs to stop!

OHHH, and to add to it. LOL. my mother today says to me. Paula maybe you shuoldn't talk about drinking wine on facebook. If marc ever wants to try to take landon he could say you think alot. first of all mom, I don't even have him on fb, second.. if I did I would need to drink more

i need a drink wow

PaulaJoFSU's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/12/07
Posts: 4019

promise to be in a better mood tomorrow.

deleting this random blah blah blah

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

Deb, when I was in Jr High, 7 and 8 grades, 2 kids died. It was devestating. One was killed in a car accident and the other died of an un-dx heart murmur. My heart goes out to your students. That is so sad.

Peej, Been there done that. I have the 'best' temper. Sorry momma!!!!

Kelly, wow, brocolli? Change it to green beans for us and I can see why you are left speechless. LOL

Pulling an all nighter, more than likely. We have some serious volatile storms heading our way. Last report was 24 tornadoes with this system.

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

Peej, fight the urge to stick him in bed with you. You need a good nights sleep.

toothy35's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 02/20/06
Posts: 4578

((((((((HUGS DEB)))))))))))) heartbreaking......when i was in 8th grade....we all lost one of our friends to a drunk driver.....she was walking to the local sub shop after school and got hit and dragged 125 feet......the guy was sooo drunk he didn't know he had hit anything.....it still is upsetting....i remember her like it just happened....so very sorry for you and your students......

peej......sorry for the rough night......hope you guys can get some sleep.....

kelly..woohoooooooo for brocolli!!!!!!! that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! it took almost 5 yrs for lucy to actually like mashed potatoes........she's not thrilled, but will eat them now!!!!!!! it pays to keep trying!!!!!!!!!!

mel........stay safe girl!!!!!!!!! good grief that sounds scary!!!!!!!!!

ruth......i can't remember if i said that your boys are growing amazing!!!!!! such big boys healthy boys and awesome that the pedi reassured you that you made the right decision for brians helmet!!!!!!!!! yayyyyyyyyy........that is awesome.........

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/09/06
Posts: 3264

Before I forget, HEY MEL!!!!!! (got your attention yet? lol) Do you still make your own yogurt? Would you mind telling me how you do it or directing me to a website that will help me? I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems like introducing as many probiotic/acidopholus/good stuff for the gut is really helpful for people. This one woman swears by eating home-made yogurt every day.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/09/06
Posts: 3264

"trying4#2inMD" wrote:

ETA: My dad passed away at the age of 49 from a stroke. He had a million other risk factors for heart disease though (besides the high cholesterol). He smoked about two packs a day, had high blood pressure, kidney disease, you name it. So making it to 49 was sort of a miracle for him.

Makes me realize that if you abuse your body you are going to pay for it eventually. (not that I have to tell anyone that Smile )

Wow, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! And sorry about your dad, too. Sad

"luangwa" wrote:

Crazy night lady. Do you really think that one day we will look back on all this and be sad that it's over?
Oh and Jax and Abs have both flucuated on the percentile charts, but maintained a curve with their own growth. That is totally normal for 'mostly' breastfed infants. If you take that stupid (meaningless) percentile chart you would think nothing of his stats, because he has grown in length and weight. Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense - and maybe that's why my pedi didn't say anything about it other than that they're both growing great. He's very laid back, too.

As far as looking back and being sad that it's over... yes and no. There are already things I miss so much about Noelle's infancy that I'm sad it's over - but at the same time, it's nice to be able to interact with her a little more and play games with her, etc. I love that she's getting more independent. I also didn't mind getting up with her in the middle of the night, either, especially because it was just once and she was sttn pretty consistently by 6 months. The boys are NOWHERE NEAR that. oy. I'm NOT going to miss losing so.much.sleep!!!!!

And here's something else to ponder if you start getting all sentimental on me. lol I ran into a friend at the park a few weeks ago and she always asks me if I'm getting any sleep. I made some comment about how those days of getting woken up are long gone for her, because her kids are 9 and 12. Apparently not. Her daughter has been dealing with a lot of anxiety and has been having trouble sleeping - so it's not unusual for her to wake her mother up at 4am... and my friend already struggles with insomnia, so she said that some days she feels just as sleep-deprived as she did as a new mother. How bout them apples? :eek: At least now our kids' needs are pretty basic. Imagine in a few years we might have to actually TALK and come up with profound and helpful things to say at 2am. Yikes. This parenting thing is NO JOKE.

"luangwa" wrote:

To the bolded. Honestly, I think a lot of it is in the genetics, I've known many people that have totally abused their body and never paid for it. My father's family is filled with a bunch of men who have smoked multiple packs a day for 65+ years and drink booze on a daily basis for almost as long and all have lived into their 80s.

I read Lance Armstrong's auto-biography several years ago, and remember him saying that he didn't think that attitude had much to do with whether or not people recovered from cancer - that he saw people recover who didn't care if they lived or died, and also saw people with really positive attitudes and fought hard all the way to the end. That said, I think a super healthy lifestyle can do a lot to overcome genetics... but yeah, it doesn't seem very fair. My 'step'grandfather lived into his late 80s and never ever took care of himself.

Oh, and stay safe in those storms. Wow, that's a lot of tornadoes!!

"PaulaJoFSU" wrote:

I am almost completely booked with sub jobs in May besides Monday of next week Yahoo Not including 5 days I will be home in the yoop for a wedding and to visit wed-tues but STILLL :yahoo:!!!!!!! I just checked the calendar and I have like 3 openings, which I hope I can fill!

I am in the office today, working with some gifted reading groups, and what not...but I have to do phones from 1:30-2:30 to cover a lunch...I AM MORE NERVOUS ABOUT THAT THAN ANYTHING ROFL

ok back to work I go Smile

Yahoo Awesome!!!! And get some sleep, girl! Being exhausted makes anyone cranky and short-tempered.

"kristimcw" wrote:

I guess you could say I was being vain working out before standing up in front of the church in my itty bitty dress...LOL....and I dont care. I havent felt good about my self for so long, I am doing the working out for me......of course DH says he is having trouble keeping his hands off me.....:rolleyes: and then I am cruising the Alaskan Seas in July, so more motivation to be all smoking hot. (insert smilie with a cartoon character doing cartwheels and jumping up and down....) that is how I feel about getting away!!!!!!!

I just cant wait for my DVD....six pack in six weeks by jillian........I have until May 19 (wedding on 21st) to get my arms looking good and I have until July 6 to get in swim suit condition. I am not even shopping for cruise clothes until about mid June..........

WTG, Kristi!!!!

"YooperGirl8" wrote:

Two days and there is absolutly no way I can catch up. I tried.

School has been eerie the past two days. Yesterday, we had crisis centers for each grade level, the kids wore pink and yellow (her two favorite colors), brough roses and made put them around the tree in front. Today I had 30 kids on my team out to attend the funeral. Eighth grade was deserted. It's just soooo sad.

That is so sad. Sad

"toothy35" wrote:

ruth......i can't remember if i said that your boys are growing amazing!!!!!! such big boys healthy boys and awesome that the pedi reassured you that you made the right decision for brians helmet!!!!!!!!! yayyyyyyyyy........that is awesome.........

Thank you! Biggrin

Ok, so this makes no sense to me. Why is it that twins are MORE than twice the work???? Yesterday morning was sooooooo pleasant and easy because I didn't even attempt to synchronize the boys' naps and just let them sleep when they wanted. When this happens, they always immediately take opposite schedules and absolutely refuse to sleep at the same time. So I just had one boy with me all the time. It was so easy just taking care of two kids! I really don't get why adding one more kid to the group makes things so crazy and overwhelming sometimes. It's just weird.

soooooooooooo tired. still up because i promised dh a little action. lol but he was just on the treadmill and who am i to stop him from exercising?

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

Hey Ruth, It's SUPER easy. Do you have a crock pot that the crock part is removable? This is the easiest way, unless you want to invest in a yogurt maker.

Heat 1/2 gal milk to 120 degrees. Add up to 20% of powdered milk, I do about 1 1/2 cups. (basically the up to 20% means that the powdered milk shouldn't exceed 20% of the liquid milk) Continue to heat until 160 degrees and maintain that temp for 1 minute. Poor into your crock pot container and let cool to 120-125 degrees. Then add 1/2 cup of a really good plain yogurt. A greek style yogirt works really well, the key is to get a brand that has not only a high bacteria count, but a good variety of bacteria. I get good results with the organic brands like Stonyfield etc. Youwant to stir in some of the cooked milk into your yogurt to thin it and then add that to the crock of milk. You want to make sure the yogurt doesn't stay lumpy when you add it to the milk, so it is necessary to thin it first. KWIM? Cover with plastic wrap, then wrap the crock with a beach towel and place in one of those hot/cold insulated bags. Leave on the counter for about 12 hours. It is important to not disturb it once it is all wrapped. Don't even peak at what is going on. After 12 hours, you should have yogurt, then just store in the fridge in an airtight container. It has about a month's shelf life. Homemade yogurt is not as thick as store bought. You can thicken it by using a product called Nutra Thick. It does not change the probiotic value or the taste, just thickens it.

alexsbabymomma's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/05/07
Posts: 1084

PJ lots of hugs your way!! I know what it feels like to lose your temper and the guilt that ensues. Don't beat yourself up over it, it happens to everyone! Landon knows mommy loves him and he has the best mommy ever!! Hope tomorrow is a much brighter day :bigarmhug:

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/29/08
Posts: 1096

How'd you fare in the storms last night, Mel?

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

Hey Em, we made it through. WOw, all it did, all night long, was thunder and lighting and pour rain. Thankfully the part of the storm that was causing all the tornados was north of us. This same system is still just sitting over us popping off thunder. It is a super slow moving system. We'll get a break for a couple of hours and then another really weird cell is behind it. So, more threat of nastiness later today.

DH doesn't want me to send Jax to school. For some reason he's settled himself into an irrational worrywart mood. Doesn't matter that all the weather pros are saying that other than flooding, the severe threat is over, as far as tornados go, until later when this next cell sweeps through.

shefrn1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/28/07
Posts: 4148

morning ladies!!!!

glad you made it through the storms Mel....so what did you decide to do with jax today??? are you sending him or not????

PJ... :bighugs: I bet he will barely remember it!!!!

Ruth.....yea...I don't think we'll (any of us) will get a full nights sleep for atleast the next 18 years if not longer :rolleyes: glad you had a peasent morning yesterday...hopefully you have another this morning!!!

luangwa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 06/29/07
Posts: 8898

He's staying home, it's not worth the headache of dealing with DH over the issue. :rolleyes:

ROFL Jax is sitting on the opposite loveseat talking to himself. He can't remember the term, 'racecar diver', so he just called himself a 'super fast car boy' ROFL

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/09/06
Posts: 3264

"luangwa" wrote:

Hey Ruth, It's SUPER easy. Do you have a crock pot that the crock part is removable? This is the easiest way, unless you want to invest in a yogurt maker.

Heat 1/2 gal milk to 120 degrees. Add up to 20% of powdered milk, I do about 1 1/2 cups. (basically the up to 20% means that the powdered milk shouldn't exceed 20% of the liquid milk) Continue to heat until 160 degrees and maintain that temp for 1 minute. Poor into your crock pot container and let cool to 120-125 degrees. Then add 1/2 cup of a really good plain yogurt. A greek style yogirt works really well, the key is to get a brand that has not only a high bacteria count, but a good variety of bacteria. I get good results with the organic brands like Stonyfield etc. Youwant to stir in some of the cooked milk into your yogurt to thin it and then add that to the crock of milk. You want to make sure the yogurt doesn't stay lumpy when you add it to the milk, so it is necessary to thin it first. KWIM? Cover with plastic wrap, then wrap the crock with a beach towel and place in one of those hot/cold insulated bags. Leave on the counter for about 12 hours. It is important to not disturb it once it is all wrapped. Don't even peak at what is going on. After 12 hours, you should have yogurt, then just store in the fridge in an airtight container. It has about a month's shelf life. Homemade yogurt is not as thick as store bought. You can thicken it by using a product called Nutra Thick. It does not change the probiotic value or the taste, just thickens it.

that sounds easy enough... two questions: is there some kind of substitute i could use for the insulated bag? or can i transfer it to another container and then put it in the bag? i'm pretty sure our crock pot wouldn't fit inside our biggest bag. second, what kind of therm are you using? i have a meat therm and a candy therm. i'm thinking it might be easier to use the candy therm because it won't matter if it gets dropped in. lol but the meat therm is digital and the candy therm isn't.

i'm excited to try this! i remember when you guys were talking about it a while back and it just seemed like too much effort at the time, but my DH is intrigued by this idea, so he's all for it - and he normally doesn't much care for yogurt. lol

rain in the forecast today? what a shock. :roll: this has been the crappiest spring for weather!

StateChick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/22/07
Posts: 3629

No way I am up to making homemade yogurt! Heck, I'm not even making Wade's baby food. That I need to start giving to him SOON. He is 6mths old today...where does the time go!? ;( Did I mention he screamed all night...I'm thinking doctor today. Ugh.

I am so exhausted.

Mel, glad you weathered the first round of storms...hope this next band doesn't produce anything dangerous. And "super fast car boy".... ROFL

Karrie5's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 05/29/08
Posts: 2993

:bigarmhug: Paula. We all lose our temper sometimes. I hope you both got a good night sleep last night.

Mel, so glad the storms weren't too bad. And lol at super fast car boy! ROFL

Ruth, I'm glad you had a pleasant morning yesterday.

Debbie, :bigarmhug: So sad.

Candace, you'll be proud of me. Smile I made some delicous pie last night.

shefrn1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/28/07
Posts: 4148

oh yea...i forgot!!

Deb :bighugs: that is sooo sad...I couldn't even imagine!!!

StateChick's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/22/07
Posts: 3629

KARRIE, I am proud of you!!!!!

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/09/06
Posts: 3264

ROFL super fast car boy. Awesome!

Candace, this year is flying by, isn't it?!?! Happy 6 months to Wade!! I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but it really is SOOOOOOOO easy to make baby food. I'm not a great cook and really don't even like to, but even my meager skills can handle baby food. lol I'm glad the boys like mine, too, because I don't even want to think about the cost of feeding two of them commercial food - it's so expensive!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think of the Dr. Seuss book, One Fish, Two Fish... when they see references to Peg's Nook? lol "But a Nook can't read so a Nook can't cook. SO... what good to a Nook is a hook cook book?" Biggrin

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/09/06
Posts: 3264

I know it's been nearly a month, but I just really really don't want to update Noelle's ticker. Still trying to wrap my mind around the number 3, can't even handle THINKING about 4. :eek:

shefrn1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/28/07
Posts: 4148

"gottharf" wrote:

ROFL super fast car boy. Awesome!

Candace, this year is flying by, isn't it?!?! Happy 6 months to Wade!! I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but it really is SOOOOOOOO easy to make baby food. I'm not a great cook and really don't even like to, but even my meager skills can handle baby food. lol I'm glad the boys like mine, too, because I don't even want to think about the cost of feeding two of them commercial food - it's so expensive!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think of the Dr. Seuss book, One Fish, Two Fish... when they see references to Peg's Nook? lol "But a Nook can't read so a Nook can't cook. SO... what good to a Nook is a hook cook book?" Biggrin

ROFL

I'll have to get that one for the nook ROFL

we never got into that one here but we have certainly read our share of 'fox in sox' over and over and over and over and over Smile

and super fast car boy ROFL that's great!!!!

and mel...yea...glad you kept him home...easier to deal with the kid than the hubby that's for sure Wink

Pages

Topic locked