QOTD 10/16

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ash0110's picture
Joined: 03/22/07
Posts: 393
QOTD 10/16

Do you celebrate any traditional holidays in a unique way?

MamaP0610's picture
Joined: 10/16/11
Posts: 43

Hi, it's Kristine... mamakkfan04 lol! The only holiday that we do anything a little different is on Thanksgiving. I make turkey meat loaf instead of an actual turkey, because my family doesn't care for regular turkey meat.

a's girl's picture
Joined: 06/10/07
Posts: 1008

Not really. We are pretty boring actually. This year on Christmas Eve though we are going to start a fondue tradition! Fun!!! And now that Alison is getting older I am sure traditions will morph into new ones.

natesangel's picture
Joined: 07/26/08
Posts: 1419

nothing much here, we don't really do thanksgiving other than to have dh's dad over for some dinner (usually meatloaf or roast), since jade's arrival halloween has been a 'fly to family' event and we dress in a theme (last year was peter pan, this year is witchs with jade as the cat with her mouse bag!) i think the biggest change we've done is being more strict about keeping presents till the actual day! we are however going to continue my families tradition of one present on christmas eve.

kristi that sounds like a fun new tradition! i've always wanted a fondue set!

Kayla1981's picture
Joined: 01/04/07
Posts: 1529

"MamaP0610" wrote:

Hi, it's Kristine... mamakkfan04 lol! The only holiday that we do anything a little different is on Thanksgiving. I make turkey meat loaf instead of an actual turkey, because my family doesn't care for regular turkey meat.

Really? Just the thought of turkey and dressing makes me hungry. Smile

"a's girl" wrote:

Not really. We are pretty boring actually. This year on Christmas Eve though we are going to start a fondue tradition! Fun!!! And now that Alison is getting older I am sure traditions will morph into new ones.

I really need to try fondue. It always sounds so good!

We don't do anything too out of the ordinary. At Christmas we get together with my mom's side of the family and the cousins exchange gifts (they draw names) and the men and women do a sort of Chinese gift exchange. It is fun and can get pretty rowdy some years.

Thanks to my friend who lived in Spain for a short time, I've started the Spanish tradition of 12 grapes at midnight on New Year's Eve. You are supposed to stuff 12 grapes in your mouth at midnight and I was told you get a wish for each grape. My mouth is too small though so I usually only get about 8 in there! Biggrin

MamaP0610's picture
Joined: 10/16/11
Posts: 43

"Kayla1981" wrote:

Really? Just the thought of turkey and dressing makes me hungry. Smile

Yeah we are kinda funny ppl lol! I love everything else, but I just think that turkey is dry. I personally also don't eat gravy... only when I'm pregnant lol. My husband and I are the worst PA dutch ppl, we both HATE saurkrout... bleh! No on New Years Day I eat a tiny spoonful at the grandparents house, just to keep with the tradition of it being good luck for the new year.