I know it's rather early to be tackling this topic already, but I've been thinking about it a lot. I had a c/s with DD for breech presentation and really would like to have a VBAC this time. My goal is an unmedicated hospital birth. I would be very interested in doing a birth center water birth if we had them here, but we don't. I would even be interested in a homebirth, but DH has completely vetoed that idea, and anything outside of the hospital would be out of pocket costs anyway, making it financially impossible.
Anyway, I worry about everything so I'm worried that if I don't get the epidural and then need an emergency c/s, will they have to put me under? Anyone have experience with this? How far have you let yourself go in thinking about all of this?
I think about it off and on. It freaks me out...I'll admit it. I try not to because I think about the ripping (I have a friend who had like 3rd degree rips or something where it ripped all the way to her butt! And she gave birth 2 weeks or so early!) and what if I don't get the epidural (which I definitely want!) and what if I have to get a c section or if I go WAAAAAAY past my due date...lol.
Actually I was lurking the January and Feb boards and saw how close they are and they're in the double digits, as are some of the March moms I believe. It kinda freaks me out how close I'm getting.
I think I'll feel better after he's in my arms and I can snuggle with him. DD1 is really anxious to meet her brother lol. She asked me a few weeks ago when I would have him and I told her not for a few months and she sighed and said "So a really long time." Ha ha.
I have things for him, like clothes, car seat, bed, carrier, stroller, etc but I dunno how mentally prepared I am.
Although I am looking forward to not feeling so huge anymore. I wish I could skip the whole birth part and just get to hold my little man in my arms. That would make things so much easier! Ha ha.
Katie and Tyler: 04/13/2010
Isabelle Elaine: 10/07/2005
Lorelei Evelyn: 11/01/2009
Desmond Jensen: 03/23/2012
Juno Ezra: 10/31/2013
I am and I'm not. Like I started my hypnobabies about 3 weeks ago and am aleady getting into that mindset. But I still don't have a place to give birth yet, or MW, and I'm not toally paniced about it yet.
With DS2 and having a VBAC with that birth, I was already thinking about the birth when I got my BFP. I was all I could think about and plan for for months. Kind of an obsession. Now that I've BTDT and restored my confidence I'm not so hung up on certain aspects of my upcoming birth but I am totally mentally preparing already as I am planning a unmedicated NCB.
I don't think there is any reason you would have to have already had an epi. in the event of needing an unplanned c/s. There would be no reason to put you under unless it was totally an emergency issue. I don't have experience with this aspect of c/s though so I'm not totally sure.
~Joy~ DS1-8/5/05, DS2-10/18/10 (VBAC#1), DS3- 4/11/12 (VBAC#2!)
for sure, I wish I could skip the birth part
for ds I went no drugs (planned however I was lucky in that once it got to the point where I actually wanted an epidural it was pretty much time. I tore PLUS and episitomy
There are many things I want to avoid this time around which is part of the reason I went with mw so hopefully it will go better
ds1 Evan ds2 Adam
I've been thinking about this birth ever since I found out I needed a c/s with my DS. I switched doctors and hospitals to ones that are VBAC friendly and have been researching ever since.
Anna- the first half of your post is basically my story as well. C/S due to breech, aiming for an unmedicated hospital birth.
I'm not concerned about needing an emergency c/s and not having an epidural. Unless it's a severe emergency, they would still have time to do a spinal or epidural. Even if you already have an epidural I think there are adjustments that need to be made before they can operate.
I'm trying not to think much about that possibility though. Think positive, right?
Joy, I guess I am in the same place now that you were with DS2 last time. I hope my outcome is as good as yours and Odin's.
I guess I just can't help thinking about it. I really felt robbed of the birth I 'should have had' with DD and really want it to work out this time, but I'm nervous about having a repeat c/s.
I wish I could do hypnobabies, but I've looked at some of the prices of the cd packages and there's no way I can justify the cost with our currently unemployed situation. The best I'd be able to do is work with the info I can find free online. Still, I am determined to try for an unmedicated VBAC.
I've been thinking about it some. I know what I would ultimately like to do when it comes to the birth, but I also realize things happen and I'm pretty much at peace, I guess, with any type of situation that might happen. My birth plan is just to try the natural way as long as I can go, if I need an epidural, fine, if not, great! My only stipulation that I'm going to be *crazy pregnant woman about* is that anyone that will be involved in my birth (husband, family, nurses, drs) needs to understand that I do not want to talk about an epidural, or how I'll regret not getting one, etc. etc. Hopefully ya'll kind of understand where I'm coming from. I'm a FTM, and I understand that I dont know all the in's and out's of what happens during pregnancy, but I have read up a lot, and have formed my own opinions and this (for now) is what I really want to do.
I've also been wanting to look into Hypnobabies, and I did notice too that it is a bit expensive. Can anyone give me more details on it and how it did or has been now helping you?
This!! I too am struggling with this feeling, and found a midwife and also a doula to help me achieve my goal. I have also been looking into the Hypnobabies, and downloaded the 2 free tracks from thier website. I am trying to set myself up for a positive experience. I know it sounds corny, but I want to be able to know "I did it!" without any interventions or medication.I guess I just can't help thinking about it. I really felt robbed of the birth I 'should have had' with DD and really want it to work out this time, but I'm nervous about having a repeat c/s.
Also, I saw some Hypnobabies on eBay, its a bit cheaper than from the Hypnobabies site.
I'm pretty laid back about the birth itself. Ironically, I'm looking forward to having a date to go in and have my repeat. I do keep having dreams that my water breaks while I'm at work though and the babe comes early.
I'm more worried about what we're going to do with DS when the time comes and his well being.
Visit my blog: Losing...
I am a natural worrier, and I am avoiding even thinking about it, so that I don't obsess. I know docs are going to try to force a repeat c-section, and I know this baby is already measuring massive size (just like his sisters before him), so I'm trying to wait until I decide exactly what I want to do, and how I want to approach the circumstances.