Anybody planning on not finding out the gender?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427
Anybody planning on not finding out the gender?

I have been kind of tossing around the idea of not finding out the gender before Tiny Kid is born. DH wants to find out, and I kind of do too (I mean, of course I really want to know asap) but everyone that has done it says that the moment the baby is born and they finally say "It's a ......" is the best moment ever. But then, I think how if it's a girl, I would totally want to make a super girly nursery (I've got a 4 year old son, so I'm up to my eyeballs in super heros and pirates. I know everybody says that you can decorate the nursery after the kid is born, but if my experience with DS is any indication, once the baby is born you have zero energy for projects like that for about a year...lol

So, how about the rest of you? Planning on finding out? BTDT and got surprised? Thoughts?

Joined: 10/02/11
Posts: 1937

I never even thought about NOT finding out the gender. I even gave DH "the look" when we were talking about it one day. I said pure and simple I'm finding out. I want to be able to say I'm having a little girl or boy.

And I know you can buy gender neutral stuff, but I'd totally rather by gender specific stuff... especially if it's a girl.

Joined: 07/26/04
Posts: 1595

Yeah I have the patience of a flea!!! Totally finding out!!!

eliann's picture
Joined: 04/19/11
Posts: 2438

"Mari626" wrote:

Yeah I have the patience of a flea!!! Totally finding out!!!

This is me too. DH doesn't want to find out, but he asked "you might explode if you don't know, right?" My husband knows me well.

Joined: 08/09/12
Posts: 28

I didn't find out with my son. It was exciting! I figure that there are so few real surprises left in the world- why not let this be one of them! I don't think we are going to find out with this one either!

Joined: 08/15/12
Posts: 109

I am definitely finding out. IMHO that moment when you see your baby for the first time is so special anyway, so the gender surprise wouldn't do much more for me. I like to bond with the baby in utero and call them by their name. Plus, my son is dying for a baby sister and we'll need months to prepare him if it's not a girl! His preschool BFF got a baby sister last January and my son has asked for one every freakin day since.

tori729's picture
Joined: 07/23/07
Posts: 1743

We are probably NOT finding out this time around. We did, however, find out with both of our other kids. I am a planner and I really did want to know what I was having. But now that I have one of each, I have everything I need and if I need more after the baby is born, others can fill in the gaps. There are specific things I will probably still need (my infant car seat will be expired by then, maybe a new stroller, etc.) but they can be gender neutral.

Joined: 08/25/08
Posts: 8

I am thinking right now I will not find out. DH doesn't understand how I can do that, but I am up for the challenge Wink I think it is exciting when people do and picking names would be easier so I could change my mind.

Joined: 08/23/12
Posts: 1

Hi Alissa, if you're considering not finding out if it's a girl or boy, there's an online baby registry just for you. It's called NotFindingOut. All their items are paired into girl and boy counterparts. You can register for the items you want, you just don't know whether you'll receive the girl or boy version. Once your baby is born, the gender-specific gifts are shipped to you right away so you are equipped with gender-specific items. It's fun to have some gender neutral and some gender-specific goods when you're not finding out so this registry lets you do both! For baby showers, anyone who buys you an NFO gift will bring a wrapped Preview Card that shows the item purchased for you in both the girl and boy version so that you can see what they bought you but not have the surprise ruined. No one finds out what the baby is until it's born. VERY FUN!

OkieMommy04's picture
Joined: 07/03/10
Posts: 511

I would love for it to be a suprise, but I don't know that I can hold out! I am already am dying to get to 16 weeks so we can do our gender scan! lol DH is all about finding out because he's a fuddy duddy and doesn't get excited about stuff like that... And he's positive it's a boy. I'm still hoping there's the smallest chance for a girl but will be happy either way!

morel_baby's picture
Joined: 03/04/07
Posts: 194

"zareen1" wrote:

Hi Alissa, if you're considering not finding out if it's a girl or boy, there's an online baby registry just for you. It's called NotFindingOut. All their items are paired into girl and boy counterparts. You can register for the items you want, you just don't know whether you'll receive the girl or boy version. Once your baby is born, the gender-specific gifts are shipped to you right away so you are equipped with gender-specific items. It's fun to have some gender neutral and some gender-specific goods when you're not finding out so this registry lets you do both! For baby showers, anyone who buys you an NFO gift will bring a wrapped Preview Card that shows the item purchased for you in both the girl and boy version so that you can see what they bought you but not have the surprise ruined. No one finds out what the baby is until it's born. VERY FUN!

What a cool concept, but everything looks like it is double the price! Sad

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"morel_baby" wrote:

What a cool concept, but everything looks like it is double the price! Sad

Haha, yeah, that site looks pretty spendy. Cool concept, but I wouldn't want to ask any of my friends to spend $14 on one onesie. Blum 3

ILoveMyMiniMe's picture
Joined: 12/11/03
Posts: 2333

I just asked DH about this last night.. He asked me if it was any more expensive to find out. Lol I told him no, it wasn't.. they look when we get the profile US done. He said... well then it would make sense so we could plan for what we're going to have! Biggrin So I guess we are! Biggrin

Log in or register to post comments