Bf help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bf help

  1. #1
    Posting Addict crazy j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,522

    Default Bf help

    So far, little girl has been a frequent nurser and a cat napper and has been difficult to get down for a nap. Well, when DH has her, she takes great naps and goes to sleep easy and peacefully and easily goes a reasonable time between feedings. I think the obvious difference here is that she's getting nice and full from the bottle but not the breast. When I feed her, then try to nap her after a while, she's hungry again, then, after a short nap, she wakes up hungry still. Any advice for getting her to take better meals from me?
    Joan
    -----------------------



    7lbs 7.7oz at birth / 7lbs 3oz at discharge
    7lbs 6oz at 2 weeks
    11lbs 3oz at 2 months
    13lbs 6oz at 4 months

  2. #2
    Posting Addict sandraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,995

    Default



    Do you feel like your milk supply is OK?
    Another thing would be trying to make sure she gets more hind milk and less fore milk. The hind milk is fattier and more filling. Make sure she's draining one breast completely before moving on to the next - or - (my kids only nursed 1 side per feeding) try to hand express some fore milk before letting her nurse, so that she doesn't fill up on the less filling milk.
    Sandra & Chris ~ June 10, 2005
    Ella Marie ~ July 17, 2007
    Eli Jeremy ~ February 9, 2009
    Emerson Blake ~ November 26, 2011
    Ethan Maverick ~ June 7, 2013




  3. #3
    Community Host eliann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    I have been having the same issue the past couple of days. My right boob (the one with the good nipple) just isn't producing as much milk as my left boob (the nip I'm using the shield on). I read to always offer the boob with the lowest supply first, to trigger it to produce more. but he is still hungry when he is done and so I offer the left. But he gets full before emptying the left, so I think he is getting a bunch of fore milk which is making the duration between feeds much shorter. He naps for like 20 min sometimes and wakes up screaming his head off.

    BF is full of mysteries. Are you taking anything to boost your supply? How many bottles does she take now? Maybe skip a botttle feeding to increase supply because pumps aren't as effective as babies??

    I really have no idea. I'm new to this. This stuff is so hard. Hugs!
    elizabeth & justin 10/29/2011
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

  4. #4
    Posting Addict crazy j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eliann View Post
    I have been having the same issue the past couple of days. My right boob (the one with the good nipple) just isn't producing as much milk as my left boob (the nip I'm using the shield on). I read to always offer the boob with the lowest supply first, to trigger it to produce more. but he is still hungry when he is done and so I offer the left. But he gets full before emptying the left, so I think he is getting a bunch of fore milk which is making the duration between feeds much shorter. He naps for like 20 min sometimes and wakes up screaming his head off.

    BF is full of mysteries. Are you taking anything to boost your supply? How many bottles does she take now? Maybe skip a botttle feeding to increase supply because pumps aren't as effective as babies??

    I really have no idea. I'm new to this. This stuff is so hard. Hugs!
    She gets bottles when I'm at work. I think it's just that breastfeeding is a lot harder than bottle drinking so she tires out on the boob. Today, I just fed her again before her naps and she was fine. I think this is just one of those things I just need to wait out. She'll get more efficient as she gets older.
    Joan
    -----------------------



    7lbs 7.7oz at birth / 7lbs 3oz at discharge
    7lbs 6oz at 2 weeks
    11lbs 3oz at 2 months
    13lbs 6oz at 4 months

  5. #5
    Posting Addict tori729's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of the Mason Dixon Line
    Posts
    10,608

    Default

    I think you're right; it will always be quicker to feed her a bottle. A couple things you can do is switch nursing to keep her awake and breast compressions to speed up the flow - nurse until she is not swallowing, do compressions; when she is falling asleep again take her off and burp her and switch. Or if you're afraid she's not getting the fatty stuff put her back on the same breast.
    If you're not sure how to tell whether she is actually eating, Dr Jack Newman has some great videos to show it. Breastfeeding Videos
    VICKI & Tim 6/17/06
    DS Micaiah 2/14/08
    DD Noel 3/3/10
    DS Judah 4/10/13




  6. #6
    Posting Addict crazy j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tori729 View Post
    I think you're right; it will always be quicker to feed her a bottle. A couple things you can do is switch nursing to keep her awake and breast compressions to speed up the flow - nurse until she is not swallowing, do compressions; when she is falling asleep again take her off and burp her and switch. Or if you're afraid she's not getting the fatty stuff put her back on the same breast.
    If you're not sure how to tell whether she is actually eating, Dr Jack Newman has some great videos to show it. Breastfeeding Videos
    Yeah, I do a lot of that. She gets really irritated and impatient when the flow slows down. Lazy girl!! lol. Honestly, I think I'd rather feed her more often then spend an hour at each feeding doing a million tricks to get her to take more food in. Does that make sense? BTW, her poops are healthy, so I know she's getting enough hindmilk.
    Joan
    -----------------------



    7lbs 7.7oz at birth / 7lbs 3oz at discharge
    7lbs 6oz at 2 weeks
    11lbs 3oz at 2 months
    13lbs 6oz at 4 months

  7. #7
    Posting Addict tori729's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of the Mason Dixon Line
    Posts
    10,608

    Default

    Yep totally understand. That is what my LC told me when I saw her and did I really implement it? No, I'm too lazy. Plus, it hurts to latch him onto my one boob so I'd rather not have to do it more than once a feeding.
    So we will just have to get through our lazy nursers! All of mine have been really slow but around 6-8 weeks it got better. I think eventually they would get down to 15-20 min but I never had a 5 minute nurser. I think I just have super slow-flow nipples.
    VICKI & Tim 6/17/06
    DS Micaiah 2/14/08
    DD Noel 3/3/10
    DS Judah 4/10/13




  8. #8
    Posting Addict crazy j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tori729 View Post
    I think I just have super slow-flow nipples.
    haha ... I've had this thought too. I exclusively pumped with DS for 10 1/2 months, so I know I can produce enough milk and I know my milk can grow a baby. He didn't nurse though, so the flow of my milk was never an issue for me. With Emma, she eats like a champ for about 10 minutes, then gets super pi$$ed. It's rough when she's having a fussy evening because I need time before I'll have another letdown. I'm happy to keep her on and let her cluster feed, but when the flow gets slow, she's not having it!
    Joan
    -----------------------



    7lbs 7.7oz at birth / 7lbs 3oz at discharge
    7lbs 6oz at 2 weeks
    11lbs 3oz at 2 months
    13lbs 6oz at 4 months

  9. #9
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy j View Post
    haha ... I've had this thought too. I exclusively pumped with DS for 10 1/2 months, so I know I can produce enough milk and I know my milk can grow a baby. He didn't nurse though, so the flow of my milk was never an issue for me. With Emma, she eats like a champ for about 10 minutes, then gets super pi$$ed. It's rough when she's having a fussy evening because I need time before I'll have another letdown. I'm happy to keep her on and let her cluster feed, but when the flow gets slow, she's not having it!
    I'm totally with you. I'm perfectly fine to let Reid just stay on my boob and cluster feed in the evenings, but it drives me nuts when he gets too impatient and will fuss at the breast because I'm not letting down fast enough to suit him. That's miserable, having a baby that wants to nurse but cries when you try.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  10. #10
    Posting Addict tori729's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of the Mason Dixon Line
    Posts
    10,608

    Default

    So we had this some today. I tried to feed him a bottle and he only ate 1.5 oz so I think he was just done. He's had a weird day today. He woke up and ended up not being hungry so right now he's sitting in the rocker outside happy as a clam!
    VICKI & Tim 6/17/06
    DS Micaiah 2/14/08
    DD Noel 3/3/10
    DS Judah 4/10/13




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions