Birth Control

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
eliann's picture
Joined: 04/19/11
Posts: 2439
Birth Control

They brought this up on the May Board and I was curious what you ladies plan on doing for birth control after baby?

I'm pretty sure we will be using the withdrawal method. It worked for us for 5 years so I don't see why we wouldn't just go the cheapest route. I have also had a bad experience with bcp in the past and it makes me hesitant to get anything like an IUD because of the hormones.

Joined: 03/19/05
Posts: 338

We had my tubes tied during the C-section, so no worries about another pregnancy here.

We did NFP and condoms after Sam was born when we were trying to avoid. Since I was breastfeeding, I did not get my period for 14 months.

Krazy Kai77775's picture
Joined: 01/29/13
Posts: 236

"cristancanoe" wrote:

We had my tubes tied during the C-section, so no worries about another pregnancy here.

We did NFP and condoms after Sam was born when we were trying to avoid. Since I was breastfeeding, I did not get my period for 14 months.

So when you breastfeed, you don't get your period until your done breastfeeding?

Joined: 03/19/05
Posts: 338

"Krazy Kai77775" wrote:

So when you breastfeed, you don't get your period until your done breastfeeding?

That's not quite how it works. I actually nursed Sam until he was 19 months, period returned at 14 for me. Some ladies get their period right away, others don't.

It's called lactational amenorrhea. It's a kind of natural birth control, but not all women benefit. I am really hoping it works for me this time!

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Im with you, Elizabeth. I hate hormonal bc. We will most likely use condoms. In the past we have discussed DH getting snipped after we have two children, so I would be supportive if he decides to go that route so we can stop fooling around with condoms, but it's DH's body so it's 100% his decision when/if to do that. Weird to think that we're (most likely) done having babies!

eliann's picture
Joined: 04/19/11
Posts: 2439

"cristancanoe" wrote:

That's not quite how it works. I actually nursed Sam until he was 19 months, period returned at 14 for me. Some ladies get their period right away, others don't.

It's called lactational amenorrhea. It's a kind of natural birth control, but not all women benefit. I am really hoping it works for me this time!

I hope this is me too. Gosh I hate AF. I have totally forgotten about that witch and the evil cramps she brings.

AimeeS1911's picture
Joined: 02/01/12
Posts: 636

We got tubes tied also. I used condoms after DD and all was fine. I actually know two people that got pregnant while breast feeding even though AF hadn't returned

Joined: 03/10/09
Posts: 546

Since my DS was born in July of 2006, we have used either me being on birth control pills or just the pull out method and each worked very well for us. This time around though, we are done. I think we have decided that if I need a c-section I will have them tie my tubes while they are in there. If we can do a vaginal birth, DH will be getting snipped. If neither of those happen before we start back DTD after she is born I will ask for birth control pills at my 6 week check and will use those and the pull out method until either i've been on the pills long enough or DH gets snipped.

Krazy Kai77775's picture
Joined: 01/29/13
Posts: 236

Thank you Cristan. That makes sense Smile I like the idea of a natural birth control. Smile

Well as for me I want to have at least four more maybe even six more after this one. But I dont want to have another one right away. I want to have some time with brayden and learn how the whole raising a child and being a mommy thing goes. lol so we will prolly wait at least two years maybe three before having another one. As for birth control in the meantime. depending on how bad my period is , i might go on the pill. But if it's not so bad then condoms and pulling out will be fine Smile

eliann's picture
Joined: 04/19/11
Posts: 2439

"Krazy Kai77775" wrote:

Well as for me I want to have at least four more maybe even six more after this one.

Dirol That's awesome. I really wanted 3 kids my whole life, but DH is just not down for all that. And neither is our salary. Haha. When do you think you will try for your second? DH has been talking about a second lately....which is crazy, because he only wanted one. He keeps saying next year we will go for another. But I'm thinking I might like to wait 2 years.

Krazy Kai77775's picture
Joined: 01/29/13
Posts: 236

"eliann" wrote:

Dirol That's awesome. I really wanted 3 kids my whole life, but DH is just not down for all that. And neither is our salary. Haha. When do you think you will try for your second? DH has been talking about a second lately....which is crazy, because he only wanted one. He keeps saying next year we will go for another. But I'm thinking I might like to wait 2 years.

At first I started out with the idea of 12 kids (cheaper by the dozen) lol but I was trying to be realistic and so I went down to 5 or 7. I love big families and I have wanted to be a mommy my whole life. Our salary also isn't very agreeable with the idea of having 5 to 7 kids but we will work on that. lol I am honestly thinking of trying for our second one in about two or three years. I just want to really take in my first and learn how to do everything. I want to embrace the whole child raising experience so I was thinking two years would do, maybe three.Once I learn the whole motherly instincts, I will feel more comfortable and confident in raising more children Smile

tori729's picture
Joined: 07/23/07
Posts: 1743

I used the Mirena between my first two which was fine but I didnt love the lack of period thing, made me feel like I was messing with my body too much.
The next time I got fitted for a diaphragm and we used that (with spermicide) while I was bfing and nfp with condoms during ovulation when I got AF (not until I stopped BFing). It worked well for us for over two years! And for all three kids (eek did I just say three?) we got pregnant the first try so I know it was enough protection for us.
You can also get a Copper IUD (Paraguard) that doesnt have hormones but I've heard it can cause heavier periods.

As for kid spacing, I think 2-3 years is great! My first two are 2 years 2 weeks apart, then 3 years one month. If we have another, I'd probably go for more like 2 1/2 years.

OkieMommy04's picture
Joined: 07/03/10
Posts: 511

We always used the NFP method and it worked pretty well for us. I can't even force myself to take meds let alone put bc hormones in me. I was going to get a tubal while I had my csection but just couldn't do it. DH says he's done since we have four kiddos but he also said that before with the others. I've always wanted 10 kids which isn't realistic at all but I'd love to have one more if I can get dh to go for it. That probably won't be for a couple years though.