36 Week Appointment

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 07/09/11
Posts: 798
36 Week Appointment

I had my 36 week appointment this morning...

I had the GBS swab done and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be - with swabbing both ends and all! haha I'm assuming I'll get the results next week. Even though it's looking like a c-section, the doctor wanted to do the swab, anyway; but, didn't do an internal.

The baby's heart beat, my blood pressure, weight gain, etc. is all still really good; so, no concerns there! The baby is still so high up that it is hard to breathe at times, though. The only thing that's worrying me now is this pending c-section... I guess the doctor will consult an OB who will do the surgery and I have to have an appointment with them to discuss, etc. and then I'll get the c-section date. The doctor keeps saying that it will likely be booked for a week before my due date. If this is the case, they're cutting it quite close in terms of booking the consultation, etc. Does anyone have any experience with an elective c-section and how all this works? I definitely want to have the c-section booked in case this baby decides not to flip; however, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to delivery vaginally! It makes me feel a little better that they'll do an ultrasound before the c-section just to ensure that the baby hasn't flipped before they do an unnecessary surgery!

I can't believe my appointments are now down to once every week and that I could be holding my baby in three weeks! Yikes!

momW's picture
Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 5634

Feel free to ignore me as this is the natural childbirther in me coming out to say something. But have you talked to your dr about the benefits of waiting for labor to start to do a c/s if bubs is still breech at that point? I realize not everyone is comfortable vaginally delivering a breech baby nor does everyone have access to a qualified breech attendant but there are so many benefits to waiting until labor to start on its own to do a c/s for breech. I just cringe at 39 week c/s's for breech births especially for FTM's, as you really don't know how long the LO needs to finish baking. When left completely alone a FTM's average gestation is 41+3 weeks and labor for a FTM is not as lickety split as the movies would have you believe so there's plenty of time for either a)baby to flip or b)to do a c/s for a breech baby. It's just a thought Smile

Glad to hear everything went really well at your appt. Be sure to go to the spinningbabies.com website to get some awesome suggestions on how to get bubs in an optimal position for birth. Stay out of recliners. And also, I can't remember if you've said or not but do you have access to a chiro certified in the Webster technique? My BFF's 3rd baby was transverse and after seeing a chiro that specializes in the Webster technique 3 times her bub went to vertex and finally stayed put but it wasn't until she was just shy of 38 weeks that he finally did so.

Joined: 09/02/05
Posts: 994

:lurk:
Have you by chance looked into having your DR do an external version before consenting to the c-sec? I know several ladies that had it done, and although painful the version was successful and they were able to deliver vaginally.

Joined: 07/09/11
Posts: 798

I need to have the consult with the OB, first, and then I'm guessing we'll talk dates at that appointment. The doctor didn't say "we will book it for 39 weeks"... She just pointed out that it's normally what's done. I'm assuming I can negotiate this with the OB. I do understand that many women on this board are very pro natural childbirth (and maybe I'm just being naive as a FTM); but, I want to be prepared for what needs to happen and don't want to put any unnecessary risk on me or the baby. If the baby does remain breech, I am worried about going into labor on my own before the c-section date - my own mother had a horrible experience with this when pregnant with me and I don't want to see something like that happen. I would be thrilled beyond words if everything worked itself out and the baby was born naturally; however, I'm also remaining somewhat realistic.

In terms of the chiropractor, I'm not aware of any in the area; but, could look into it! What exactly is it?

I declined the ECV. I had posted in another thread that it was for personal reasons. It seems there is more risk associated with it than anything (and it's only effective less than 40% of the time); so, if this baby does not want to turn on his own without some form of external intervention then I'm fine with the c-section.

gardenbug's picture
Joined: 03/12/07
Posts: 2025

DEFINITELY look into a chiropractor! DD's has helped her not only for pre-baby and sports issues, but also worked on the very newborns themselves for latching difficulties and later for other problems such as ear infections. Such a godsend! It was in fact her midwife who recommended this very special chiropractor.

momW's picture
Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 5634

Go to this site to find a chiro that is certified and here to learn more about it Smile

It's all a very personal decision, I do understand that. Each decision you make has risks and they have to be weighed.

Joined: 11/17/06
Posts: 437

Hopefully the baby turns before time but I am glad that you are coming to terms with whatever happens. I wish I would have given myself more time to have accepted the possibility of c-section.

I cried all the way to the OR, I just felt like I had failed. It took me a long time afterwards to accept it. I would have loved for it to have turned out the natural way but it didn't for me. I'm just glad that you are doing what I didn't and accepting what might happen before hand!

Good luck!

Joined: 07/09/11
Posts: 798

"momW" wrote:

Go to this site to find a chiro that is certified and here to learn more about it Smile

Thanks!