DD was an emergency C-section.
DS was a no drug all natural VBAC. I tried hypnobirthing with him. After I went through labor with him, I told everybody that I knew that if I ever have another baby, I will be having an epidural for sure!!!! With DS, things went so fast after she broke my water & I feel that I got totally out of control as the pain was so intense. Within minutes I think I went from 5 cm to 10cm then pushed for an hour. I ended up with an episiotomy & 3rd degree tear and am scared to death of this happening again.
It's amazing what time will do as you forget things. Now I'm thinking, it's just temporary, maybe I could do it drug free again. I was just talking to my mom the other day (she was a labor & delivery nurse for years) and she was telling me how I did great & if I thought I was out of control, then I've never actually seen out of control :) She thinks that I'll go fast again with this labor.
I'm sure my midwife will discourage me from an epidural. For my yearly check up last year, she was so excited to tell me that my hospital now does water births! I'll have to look into this more. I was extremely relaxed & comfortable in the tub with DS -- but while I was in there, things kind of stalled and that's when she broke my water & I got crazy!
We'll see what happens. I'll think about it more before I decide :)
DS1 was a c-section b/c he was breech. I had an ECV attempt, but it didn't work. The recovery was easy - about 6 days later I was out shopping for furniture.
DS2 was VBAC with no drugs except a bit of gas. I was in labour for just under 6 hours, and it was intense and regular from the start. I had a bit of tearing. I felt fantastic right after, but overdid it with the babywearing/standing too much and ended up with a lot of swelling and pain for a few weeks. Now I know better!
I am not sure what to do this time around. For sure it will be natural, but I am also toying with the idea of a home birth. I really love my Dr, though, and would have to find a MW. I suppose there's still time to decide :)
this posted turned out to be really long! sorry!!
DS1 was born in a hospital 10 minutes from our house in NJ. DH and I went to a Bradley class and I fully expected to give birth naturally as my mother had done 4 times (after me, I was a c/s - my mom did vbac before there was a term for it!) I did give birth without any drugs, but that was about the only natural thing about it. everything about being in the hospital felt unnatural, esp being told that I needed to have an epidural b/c I was scaring the other mothers! And oh yeah, the one where the dr came in after I ripped off the monitors again to ask me how she's going to know if I'm having a contraction with out it?! To which I answered, "THE WHOLE F-ING MATERNITY WARD KNOWS WHEN I'M HAVING A CONTRACTION!!" she didn't come back in after that!
So 2.5 years later, DD was born at home in the water with a wonderful midwife and an incredible doula (not to mention DH who unwittingly became my birth stool!)
Then we moved to Israel and I didn't know anyone and was unfamiliar with the system. I was 33 wks when we moved into the city we live in now. I hired a mw who was recommended but we didn't connect at all. In the end my labor would stop every time she came in the house b/c I didn't trust her. After the second time that happened, she said she didn't think I should give birth at home. After crying a lot I decided that since I no longer had a mw, I would go to the local hospital. I called her to tell her that we had agreed and we would go to the hospital. The next morning when my labor kicked in again, my mom (who had flown in to be with me) didn't think I'd make it to the hospital, so she called the mw, who thought I was forcing her into coming and attending my homebirth, so when I was 9cm and pushy - for absolutely no medical reason, she decided to transfer me to the hospital. I didn't have a doula at that birth - my biggest mistake. my son was born in the ambulance when it finally stopped at the hospital after 30 minutes of bumping around through the mountains. It was extremely traumatic.
When I found out I was pg again, I did a lot of research and met the few mw's (and one male dr) who do homebirths in my area. DS3 was born at home in water 4 minutes before sundown on friday (which means we couldn't contact our families for 25 hours!!) My mw, who is also an observant jew, had planned to stay with us instead of travelling home on the sabbath, so I also had a full 25 hours of post-partum support in my own home! It was an amazing and extremely healing experience for me.
That mw is no longer attending births outside her home city... but as a doula I've been to 2 births with the homebirth dr, who is a lovely man, very laid back and supportive. I think that might be my only choice for a home birth. But being that we might be moving right before I'm due, I'm not sure what I'm going to do or where I'm going to be.... a lot of things are up in the air this time... We'll see.
One thing I want to suggest to everyone here, no matter what your plan, have a doula with you! She doesn't need to be an actual certified doula that you have to pay for, or possibly a student doula doing her training, she can be a friend or family member that knows about birth and who can support you and advocate for you. My husband is amazing, and if you watched the video from DS3's birth (in my birth space) you can see how supportive he is. But having another woman there, who is not your medical provider, who is only present to support you and your partner in the birth process, is an indispensable asset! Even if you are planning a c/s! I recently went to a friend's c/s with her and her DH, even though I wasn't allowed in the OR (at this particular hospital) it ended up being very important for her that I was there. I was able to be with her before she went in, and afterwards I was with her while her DH went to the nursery with the baby. And later on, when she was ready, I was able to help her start nursing and I was able to ask the nurse for extra pads and a bunch of other things that weren't in the room, so she didn't have to... just food for thought... even though it's super early!
I don't think there are any doctors anywhere near me at ALL that will even consider a VBA2C. With that said, I'm at peace with a third c-section. It sucks, but what can you do?
With my first, I was induced at 41andsome weeks and the labor never progressed beyond 5 cm. After 24 hours of my water being broken, and my daughter's heart rate starting to go down, they wheeled me in for a c-section.
With my second, I developed sudden onset of severe pre-eclampsia at 34 weeks, and they had to take her out by c-section so I would get better quickly.
What about a home water birth Kelly? Henry was born at home and it was such a great experience, especially if you plan to do it naturally anyways, or another option is a birth center?
Originally Posted by sprintcarkelly
Yes, originally I wanted a home birth but my insurance doesn't cover it. We do have a birth center but there was just too much I wasn't comfortble with. There is hospital not too far away that does water births in their hospital but we don't belong to that hospital :(
Kelly, many MW's will work out a payment plan with you... it might be worth looking into... :-)
Amy, you are so strong and amazing! You have a lot of time, as long as you don't develop and complications this time around, start doing a little research about vbac in your area... you might end up being surprised. also, if you're not already connected to the ICAN network, you should check them out, they might be able to help you.
That's very encouraging, and thank you for your support. I will check out that network and see if maybe they are familiar with a doctor who would be willing to take me on for a VBA2C. By the time the baby is born, it will have been nearly 7 years since my last c-section, so I would think that would lessen the risk some, right? The only thing I am concerned about is that the doctor for my first pregnancy blamed my failed induction on the baby just being "too big" when that wasn't the problem at all. The problem was she had not dropped, my body was not ready for labor, and the broke my water immediately after starting the induction process, thus putting a time limit on my labor. As a first time mom, I had no clue that the choices they were making were going to affect my labor, and ultimately my future deliveries. It stinks!
Originally Posted by tanismom