*~*~*~Gingersnap Arrivals and Birth Stories~*~*~*
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: *~*~*~Gingersnap Arrivals and Birth Stories~*~*~*

  1. #1
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee

    Default *~*~*~Gingersnap Arrivals and Birth Stories~*~*~*

    Finally that time where our LOs start to become Earth side!!

    Marshall Reid Wyatt
    11/15 @?
    5lb 4oz, 18in

    Troy Robert
    11/17 @ 10:39am
    9lbs. 10oz., 20in.

    Nixon John Timothy
    11/20 @ 2:24pm
    6 lbs 13 oz 18 in

    Lana Kay
    11/22 @ 8:21am.
    6 pounds, 2 ounces and 19.25in

    Sophia Ann
    11/25 @ 11:04.
    7lbs 11oz and 21in

    Silas James
    11/25 @ ?
    7 lbs 6oz, 19 3/4 in.

    Camille Lorraine
    11/26 @4:17am
    7 lb, 2 oz, 20 in

    Avanelle Grace
    11/28 @9:17am
    7lb, 9.5oz; 21in

    Kayrael Emily Mabel
    11/29 @8:26am
    6lb, 14.4oz; 20 3/4in

    Ella Grace
    11/29 @?
    9lb, 6.4oz; 21.5in

    Payton Joy
    11/30 @?
    7lb, 8oz; 19.5in

    (Ryan's Mama)
    Austin Reid
    12/1 at 12:01pm
    8lb, 0oz., 18.5in.

    Tigh Scott
    12/3 at 4:15am
    5lbs, 15oz, 20.5in

    Bennett Daniel
    12/3 at 7:46pm
    7 lbs 14oz. 20in

    Olivia Susan
    12/5 @ 3:41pm.
    7lbs, 15oz, 20 in

    Brennan Lee
    12/6 @4:06 pm
    8lb 10.8oz, 20in

    Emma Jos├ęphine
    12/7 @ 1:50am
    7 lbs 12 oz, 19.7in

    Austin Bentley
    12/7 at 5:47pm
    8lbs 1oz, 20in

    (Jenny Bella)
    Arianna Lynn
    12/8 @ 4:48am.
    7 lbs 6 oz., 19.3 in

    Kendra Alexis
    12/8 @ 4:54pm.
    6lbs 8oz., ? in

    Kaitlyn Lori
    12/10 @ 1:45am
    5lbs, 14oz, 19in

    Dominic Richard
    12/10 at 12:22 pm
    8lbs,6.6 oz, 20 in

    Jeremiah Dean
    12/10 at 12:44pm
    7lbs 7oz, 20 1/4 in

    (westside girl)
    Bridget Josephine
    12/11 @ 10:16am.
    7lbs, 0oz, 18 1/4 in

    Nora Celeste
    12/12 @ 4:00am.
    6lbs, 14oz, 19 1/2 in

    (Carolyn B)
    Olivia Hollaway
    12/13 @ 11:21 am
    7lbs, 7oz, 19 in

    Amelia Jean
    12/13 @ 12:49 pm.
    8lb, 5oz, 21in

    Riley King
    12/14@ 7:56am
    6lb,12oz, 19 in

    Michael William
    12/15 @ 4:27am
    6lbs 4oz, ?in.

    Jonathan Bryce
    12/15 @ ?
    9lb, 10oz, 21.5in

    Ellie Jessica
    12/15 @ 6:35pm.
    6lb 3oz, ?in

    Daphne Rose
    12/16 @ 10:17am
    8lbs 6oz, 20.5 in

    Oliver Philip
    12/18 @ 10:21am
    7lb, 8.5oz, 21.5 in

    Daniel Starling
    12/18 @ 12:59pm
    9lb, 4oz, 20.75 in

    Benjamin Jeffrey
    12/18 @ 7:32pm
    6lbs 6oz 18 3/4 in

    Maxwell Warren
    12/18 @ ?
    8 lbs. 15 oz. 22 in

    (Lil Momma 1991)
    Stetson Allen
    12/21 @ 8:40 am
    7 lbs. 5 oz. 19 in

    Kara Zeal
    12/21 @ 11:30pm
    6 lbs 3oz. 18 in

    Rhys Garrett
    12/23 @1:32pm
    8 lbs 2 oz, 21in

    Julia Elizabeth
    12/23 @ 1:48PM
    8lbs, 2oz, 20.5in

    Ace Brennan
    12/23 @8:27 pm
    7 lbs 15 oz, 21in

    Lillian Agnes
    12/24 @ 11:12pm
    8lb7oz. ?in

    Gabriella Anne
    12/25 @ 11:04am
    6 lbs 7oz. 18.5 in

    Malachi Tate
    12/23 @6:07 pm
    10 lbs 5oz, 21.5in

    Riley Paige
    12/28 @ 1:51pm
    6lbs 12oz 20in

    Charlotte Amelia Lee (she also has a Korean name, Lee Hanbi)
    12/30 @ 3:46am
    8lbs 4.5oz. 21in

    Ronan Todd
    12/30 @10:16 am
    7lb 3oz, 18in

    Nolan Joesph Trimble
    1/1/11 @1:54am
    7lbs, 18.5 in

    Illyana Karenna
    1/3/11 @ 4:55am
    7lbs 10oz and 19in

    Skylar Evelyn
    1/3/11 @ 6:55a.m
    7lbs 3oz and 19in

    1/5/11 @ 12:10
    7lbs, 21in

    Jason Daniel
    1/6/11 @1:30pm
    7lbs, 1 oz 21 in
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 01-22-2011 at 09:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Lana's birth story
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesin'
    The story starts on Friday. I told DH that I didn't feel like it was going to be that much longer til the baby arrived. I had diarrhea for the past couple of days and that evening I had some pink CM when I wiped. I woke up that morning feeling...off - mild, period-like cramping and just kind of blah. Saturday and Sunday were business as usual with more of the same from Friday. On Sunday, I decided to get some Christmas shopping done, so I walked around for a few hours and got DS ready for bed. DH and I were joking that it was my first Sunday that I didn't have to get the 17P shot. I was happy to not have to get the shot and he was happy to not have to give it to me. We celebrated with a hot fudge sundae and then I started cleaning. (yes, nesting set in VERY late for me! ). Normally, I would have been in bed by 10pm knowing I had to get up and go to work the next morning, but that night, I just couldn't seem to settle. I finally went to bed around 11:30 and read for a while. Then I felt a little gush and sat there for a while, unsure. I didn't feel anything else, but got up to pee and when I was done, I felt another trickle. I When my water broke with DS, it was a gush - this wasn't, but I was pretty sure at that point that my water had broken. I woke up DH and got in the shower. We called a friend to come and stay at the house so we wouldn't have to wake up DS. I felt fine - no contractions, no pain. We headed in to the hospital and I started to worry. I knew that since I was attempting a VBAC, they would not give me pitocin to speed things along. It would be completely up to me and my body...and I wasn't sure I was in actual labor.

    We got to the hospital at about 12:30am - they confirmed that my water had broken and hooked me up to the monitors. I was contracting regularly every 3 minutes, but wasn't feeling any of them yet. The OB on call came in and checked me - I was only at 1cm. She was NOT a big VBAC supporter - when I told her I wanted a VBAC, she told me I could TRY, but went on to tell me all of the restrictions and limitations and basically said insinuated that they would "pull the plug" on the whole deal as soon as she thought it necessary. I stood my ground and told her I wanted to try. She said ok, but insisted on an immediate epidural - "just in case". I almost cried at that point. I was so frustrated to know that I was stuck with this non-supportive OB...and I knew that an epidural right then was the worst thing I could do. Being stuck in a bed at 1cm would not bode well. At that point, I started trying to convince myself that a healthy baby was the end goal...even if it meant a repeat c/s. When they got me up to a L&D room, I was introduced to my wonderful nurse. She was great! We talked about what I wanted with the VBAC and the OB's orders. She said..."that doesn't really make sense. If you get the epidural now, you'll be stuck in bed and that's not good this early on." I told her she read my mind! She called the OB and asked whether she would be ok with just having the epidural line put in without the medication - that way, I would be already set if something did go wrong, but that it gives me the chance to labor out of bed. The OB agreed, but said that she still wanted the internal fetal monitors put into place. That prevented me from walking the halls, but would allow me to walk around my room a little bit and to get on the birthing ball. I started feeling the contractions for real at about 1:30am. At around 2am, the OB came and put the fetal monitors in and checked me again and I was at 2cm. I got on the birthing ball and did not get off for the next 4 hours. It hit me around 5am that I hadn't been to sleep in nearly 24 hours. I kept trying to lay my head on the table in between contractions, but at 2 minutes apart, I wasn't getting much rest. The contractions were getting progressively worse, but I was able to breathe through them. They ended up in my back, which was hard but I found that if DH applied some counterpressure, it helped a lot. At around 6am, the OB came back in to check me and I was at 6cm. I was so relieved - part of me was worried that the past 4 hours of contractions were all for nothing and I would still be at a 2. You could tell the OB was shocked too - her entre tone changed. It was like she all of a sudden realized, hey - maybe she can do this. Maybe 30 minutes later, the contractions started coming one right after the other and I was having a hard time re-centering myself after one contraction to prepare for the next. I remember telling DH, I don't think I want to do this anymore. I finally broke down and asked for the epidural, which they did within 15 minutes. The shift change took place and the new nurse and mid-wife came in and introduced themselves - both were very supportive and I immediately liked them both. They were so excited that we didn't know the gender - apparently, they don't get to experience that very often and they were anticipating the result almost as much as DH and me. After the epidural took effect, the nurse came and inserted the catheder and checked me. She announced that I was 10cm, complete and ready to push. I was SHOCKED How in the world had I gone from 6cm to 10cm in an hour and a half? The MW came in and I started pushing. I pushed through 4 contractions and we had a baby. DH announced that it was a girl, which also shocked us. My gut feeling the whole time was that it was a girl, just b/c this pregnancy had been so much different, but all of the "evidence" pointed to it being a boy (heart rate in utero, what we thought was a slip-up by the u/s tech, and the fact that DH's family doesn't "make" boys - this is the first girl in several generations on his side.) But a girl is what we had! It went very well - I only had a small 1st degree tear. She did inhale some amniotic fluid on the way out so she had to suction her for the first couple of minutes, but she was fine.

    Lana Kay ***** was born at 8:21 am - less than 9 hours from the minute my water broke til she was here. She weighed 6 pounds 2 ounces and was 19 1/4 inches long.
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:35 AM.

  3. #3
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Avanelle's Birth Story:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyduncan
    So it all started with Saturday, I started having stronger contractions, they still were not coming very regular, but I was definitley noticing them more. I was playing on the computer, and figured I would go take a bath and see if that made the contractions either stronger or go away. The bath made the conractions space out a bit, so I decided to go to bed about 11pm

    I woke my usual times (once an hour, lol) to pee, and woke up to a strong contraction about 3. Once is was over I tried to go back to sleep, but there was no way that was going to happen, ironically dh woke up about 3:30 and had a hard time falling back asleep as well, so about 4 I decided I was going to get up and get a breakfast sandwich. we wake up and get some breakfast, I check my emails, and I notice the contractions start coming a lot closer together about 4:30 (which is where I decided, hey, I think I am actually in labor. lol)

    I ended up going in and going to the bathroom, pretty much cleared everything out, and when I was done decided I was definitely in labor and said ok, I think I need to call my mom. my mom ended up getting to our house about 5, so we got everything we needed to make the 30 minute drive to the hospital. dh made it in about 20 minutes. lol

    we got here about 5:45, and by the time we got upstairs (I walked, cause there was no way I was going to sit in the wheel chair, not to mention the fact that it was wet) and the nurse just kinda looked at me like she was wondering why I was here, since I was not scheduled to be here until Monday morning. They get me all settled into a room and the nurse checks me at about 6:15, and when you end up having a contraction in the middle of being checked.... OMG it is so painful!! She told me I was about 6 1/2-7 dilated, and that they would like to monitor baby for about 20 minutes. I said ok, as long as I could be standing up.

    my dr was on call on Saturday, and was still here this morning, so she came in to see how we were doing, and she checked me about 7:30, and said I was at maybe a 7 1/2. I was a little sad that it had been over an hour, and I had only gone 1 cm, since it felt like I should have been done by then, but I just reminded myself that every baby is different, and she would be here soon enough.

    my contractions ended up spacing out a bit, so that although they were still super strong, I had about 10-13 minutes between them, so I was dozing in between them. My dr went home, and the other dr on call started, and he came in and wanted to see how we were doing. He was a little concerned that my contractions were stalling, and asked me if I wanted him to break my water to get things going again. I said sure, cause I just wanted everything over. so he broke my water and that brought the contractions to about every 4 minutes, but like 3 times as intense.

    I had maybe 4 or 5 contractions and I told dh that he should go get the nurse, because I felt like I had a lot of pressure and I wanted to push. He went and got them, and they came in our room and the doc said that I could bare down a little if I wanted to. oh my goodness, it felt like heaven after having the super strong contractions!!! he said ok, try to stop for a minute, but there was no way that I could.

    The nurse had no time to get the end of the bed down, or anything, so she ended up sitting at the end of the bed, and was holding Avanelle's head (and slipped the cord away, as it was around her neck, but loosly)while one of the student nurses helped the dr get a gown on!! Avanelle Grace was born at 9:17 am and weighed in at 7 pounds 9.5 oz and is 21 inches long.

    dh is calling her our rocket baby, as he says from the time the doc said I could bare down to the time she was fully out was 20 seconds TOPS! lol. The first thing I thought when I first saw her was that she was so tiny (the smallest out of all 3 of my babies!!) but that she was beautiful.

    All of the nurses in the room (2 regular ones, and 2 students) told me that I made the whole experience look like a walk in the park (although I was in pain!!) just because I did it all with no pain meds, and just pushed her right out. However, I ended up hemorrhaging. they say that anything over 500cc's is considered a hemorrhage, and I lost about 1200cc's. so they gave me some pitocin in my IV lock, and a shot of something in the leg to stop it.

    She started nursing within 15-20 minutes and is a total champ, she is nursing great, and is already having more loose bowels instead of the wonderful tar poop babies start out with.
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:35 AM.

  4. #4
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Camille's Story:
    Quote Originally Posted by jooniper
    The story:
    My water broke at 4:15 pm on thanksgiving. I prepared some for the delivery, we ate our meager thanksgiving feast, then we waited anxiously for contractions to start before finally giving up and going to sleep around 11 pm. I woke up with contractions a few hours later and we called over the midwife and my "birth team" around 2 am.
    We chose to do a homebirth for various reasons. One, since we have no access to maternity coverage (though our regular insurance would cover complications if they arose), it was the cheapest way to go. But really, I believe that the hospital is somewhere you go when something is wrong... and there isn't anything medically wrong with a low-risk labor. I felt completely relaxed and in control and comfortable. I've spent years researching it and felt that it would be the safest and smartest route for us (fortunately, Kenny agreed without needing to be convinced). I may write a post another time with details around choosing a homebirth and why it isn't as risky or crazy as it sounds, but for now... on to our story.
    In attendance were my midwife Chris, her apprentice Danniele, and my friends Cristin (who acted as my doula) and Marissa (who lent her support and took pictures). Daniel was asleep upstairs the whole time (in the morning, he went to spend the day at my brother Kevin's- we are SO grateful he was somewhere we didn't have to worry about him).

    Chris took my temp and listened to baby's heartrate and everything looked healthy and normal. A huge part of a midwife's job is to foresee any problems so we can take appropriate steps (including heading to the hospital if necessary), but my pregnancy and labor were pretty straightforward.

    I got through the first contractions by leaning on the couch. In between, we chatted and laughed. I didn't have any internal exams after my water broke, so I can't tell you how quickly I progressed. Around 2:30 am I got into the birthing tub we had set up in our kitchen.

    The water felt wonderful and the tub was obviously designed with laboring women in mind. Things definitely got intense, I made lots of funny noises ("lalalalalala ooooooooooooo"), but never felt out of control. Around 4:05 am I felt the urge to push, and Camille was born into water at 4:17 am.

    She was SO quiet and sleepy when she came out. Apparently this is very typical of water births- it's a smoother transition for them- but she's been quiet and mellow ever since. She didn't want to nurse at first, she was too sleepy, but she latched really well about an hour later and seems to be a good nurser so long as she's awake enough for it.

    This labor was SO different than Daniel's. For one, the second my water broke I spent every possible minute on my hands and knees to make sure she got in the right position- she had been hanging out sunny side up and I did NOT want a back labor like I had with Daniel. It worked, and I didn't have that horrible back pressure the whole time. In between contractions I could regroup, something I didn't have the first time. I had a very minor tear, just 3 stitches- again, SO much better than Daniel's labor.
    This entire labor lasted for less time than I spent PUSHING with Daniel, and you can tell- I'm not nearly as physically exhausted and became a functioning human being much faster. Anyways, it's a GOOD kind of tired

    After I was stitched up (and while others cleaned up the kitchen), Camille and I took an herbal bath in the clean master bath which she seemed to really enjoy

    After a few hours, we realized that the grayish tinge around her mouth wasn't going away. She'd pink up while on the oxygen my midwife had brought, but then go gray again if we took it away. Midwife told us that cyanosis (gray-mouthed babies) can be a sign of heart issues, and we knew my midwife's O2 tank wouldn't last forever, so we decided to head to the hospital.

    I'm a little bummed that after such a successful homebirth we ended up paying the hospital money anyways, but I like to think we're living proof that homebirthers don't take unnecessary risks. Anyways I'm so glad I got to labor at home, our stay at the hospital only reminded me of some of the reasons we avoided delivering at the hospital.

    It was fun being the spectacle of the ER- they don't get new babies very often (that's a different department of the hospital) and all the staff were very curious- you'd see people leave their offices to come watch the "homebirth baby" come down the hall. Everyone was super nice, congratulatory and supportive, though we did have to explain to them that Yes, we HAD had thorough prenatal care, and Yes, we'd had an ultrasound and everything looked healthy. It was odd, because even without the oxygen mask her O2 saturation levels would be at a perfect 100%, but her lips were still gray. On paper she looked great!

    They did an xray, which led them to question the shape of her heart (NOT something we had wanted to hear), so they sent us up to the NICU and she got an echocardiogram.
    Now, technicians usually can't tell you ANYTHING while taking tests like that, but ours was a very friendly man who told me "heck, lady, you're brave enough to have a homebirth and now you're walking around like you weren't even pregnant, I will go ahead and tell you, everything looks 100% normal."
    Whew!!! Then they sent us on up to a nice suite in pediatrics where we spent the night under observation. By afternoon she was staying pink on her own.

    Daniel has been SO cute about his new sister. When he woke up yesterday morning at 5:30 am and came down to a house full of strange people, you can tell he was overwhelmed, but he was still very sweet and excited about his "baby -ter" (baby sister).

    Apparently yesterday morning he came down the stairs asking "baby -ter?", then when Kenny explained we were at the hospital he said "baby -ter lost? Lost baby"
    When I brought her home a few hours later, his first reaction was this:

    He's been all hugs, kisses, and pats since- perhaps a little TOO affectionate but oh-so-sweet. As far as interacting with kenny and I goes, he's very dramatic right now and obviously trying to figure out where he stands.
    We couldn't be happier with how the homebirth went or with our sweet new baby girl. She only woke up once last night to eat, but I suspect she hasn't really woken up to the world yet and it will be a different story in a few days.
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:35 AM.

  5. #5
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Nixon's Story:

    Quote Originally Posted by megsamomee
    Thursday I woke up feeling amazing. I wasn't tired, I felt refreshed, and I wasn't grumpy. I posted it on facebook, and got a ton of comments on how that's a sign of labor . My mom was leaving that night on a much needed trip with her best friend. She would only be two hours away, but I started getting a little nervous. I went and took a walk with Hayden, and came home. Andrew got home at 7:30pm, with a box of fluffy mail, we ate, and then Andrew and Hayden went to bed while I stayed up nesting. Contractions started at 8, and by 9 pm, I was in pain, and they were constant. I called my mom at 1am, woke her up, and told her to get her stuff together. I went in the bathroom and attempted to check myself but noticed a ton of bloody show, so I ran to call my midwife. Andrew and I packed the birth box and Hayden in the car, and showed up at my moms. My midwife Lisa checked me because I begged (I was excited to see how much I progressed without being in the hospital on pitocin.) She declared 4cm, and I got in the tub because I was uncomfortable. Andrew was downstairs with Hayden, and I was upset because my 18 year old sister decided she didn't want to be up that early, and wouldn't answer her phone to come watch Hay like we planned. My mom showed up about 3am. My contractions had slowed down a bit, and I tried to rest, and drank what felt like gallons of Gatorade. By 6am, contractions were 2cm apart, and I was full on laboring. The whole day was a blur. I remember getting in and out of the tub a bunch of times, laboring on the toilet, candles, starbuck runs, teaspoons of honey and bagels to keep my strength up, all while in major pain. I was completely dilated by 9pm, after 24 hours of labor, and my bag of water was bulging. I remember feeling for the first time, the weird feeling of spontaneous pushing. I didn't have to try, it was amazing and kind of yucky feeling at the same time. They broke my water in the tub with an amnicot right around 9:30. They thought maybe it was obstructing the head from coming down. I got to feel Nixons head, and after feeling the awfulness of 'transition' which felt like it had lasted hours, I got a surge of energy and felt that I was 'so close' to my goal. The blanket warmer was on, I watched as they set up the counter with bulb syringes, and oxygen and baby supplies. When I saw that, I was so overwhelmed with joy. They knew my baby would be there soon as well!

    After pushing in various positions for a couple hours, they felt to see where his head was. It was still in the same position, but they had a feeling his head was OP (sunny side up.) That pushing urge had gone away, and I didn't feel strong enough contractions to even force pushing. I was frustrated, and really tired, so I laid down to sleep. This was at midnight. Andrew laid with me, because there wasn't enough action for pictures anymore. I got two strong contractions the rest of the night, where I remember reaching over and grabbing Andrews hand for help. They were constantly checking Nixons heart tones, and he never had decelleration, (not even earlier during contractions.) He was a trooper. The next thing I know, it was 7am, everyone had gotten sleep, and I STILL wasn't contracting. I got up, had breakfast, my strength was back, and I was ready to try all the herbs and sidestepping and pumping to try and bring on contractions again. At 10 am, I wanted some time to labor by myself. I sat in my moms bathroom, and cried, prayed hard, and took some last pictures of my belly. This would be Nixons birthday. I would no longer be pregnant after today. I needed to go to the hospital and have them try to start things up again. I came downstairs, announced the plan ( my midwives had already suggested it an hour before) and called a couple hospitals trying to explain what was going on, and hoping someone could point me in the direction of a doctor that wouldn't stick me straight into a c section. Everyone thought I was insane, of course couldn't guarantee anything over the phone, and one hospital almost wanted to send an ambulance. We showed up to corona regional, my mom was to meet us there within the hour. My midwife had called ahead of time so it didn't look like 'midwife dumping.' they wheeled me in, hooked me up to what seemed like a million monitors and ivs, and I had an awful nurse. The doctor came in, I explained everything, and he was willing to do what he could to try for a vaginal birth. I signed the waiver for vacuum assistance (Hayden was vacuum assisted) and waited for my strong pitocin contractions to come. All of a sudden, the nurse starts yelling at me "Youre having a huge d-cell! Omg see, you need a c section, I can't believe this" and throws an oxygen mask on me, and calls the doctor in. I looked at Andrew and i rolled onto my left side. Position change worked right away. The decell was 85. I expected a lower number because of how freaked she was. I told her when she came back in, that a little decelleration during contractions is normal, and position change (they had me flat on my back of course) would help. She was mad that I was telling her how to do her job. The doctor comes in, looks at the decells, and wasn't extremely worried because it's "normal" sometimes. Hah!
    I never ended up getting those big painful pitocin contractions. They had to inform me of the contractions, because they weren't strong enough to feel, and pushing and two attempts of the vacuum didn't work. Nixon never came down from a +2 station. The doctor turned the light off, told me I needed a c section, and mumbled something about lunch in 30 min. I started crying so hard and I looked over at my husband and I've never seen him look that scared. He just grabbed my hand, the doctor tried to comfort me by asking what I was scared of and telling me that they would be sending me to pre op prep in 5 min. My mom didn't say a word the whole time. I don't think she could without falling apart. The crappy nurse says something about c sections being way safer than vaginal delivery in the first place, and how she's had 4 of them. How comforting...

    I went in, received my spinal from the nicest person I had met so far, they laid me down, brought Andrew in, I begged him to stay on the same side of the drape and not look, and I immediately went into full panic mode and started to shake badly. They gave me something in my iv to calm me down as they were pulling the baby out. When they brought him over to me, I couldn't even move my head to look at him for the first time. I was so drugged up, I couldn't look at my baby. The next thing I knew, we were in recovery, Andrew was holding Nixon, and 2 nurses and the anestesiologist were sitting quietly on computers. It was over, he was here and perfect, but I spent the next two hours crying hysterically. I've never been so traumatized, I felt bad for Nixon for having to have such a traumatic birth, and I wanted to see my mom but they said I couldn't for a couple hours. In the end, One thing kept me from completely losing it. His name is:

    Nixon John Timothy ******
    6lbs. 13 oz.
    18 inches long
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:35 AM.

  6. #6
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Sophia's Story:

    Quote Originally Posted by cindyanns
    If you’ll remember, on Monday 11/22 my doctor did a membrane sweep to try to move my progress along cause of all my complications during this pregnancy. I was 37 weeks and 1 day, but I asked her for it because I didn’t want to have a pitocin induced labor at 39 weeks like they had told me would be necessary. I wanted to go into labor naturally and be allowed to have the natural childbirth I have been planning for!

    My doctor has been very understanding and mindful of what I want during this pregnancy, so she did the sweep and was going to do another one the next Monday if it didn’t work. I went home and on Tuesday I drank my Raspberry Leaf Tea, DTD, and did some nipple stimulation. I was having increased cervical mucus and was pretty sure I lost my plug Tuesday night.

    Wednesday morning comes along. The morning is pretty uneventful. Richard helps me get into my compression socks and heads off to work. I eat some breakfast, watch 16 and Pregnant (I’m a reality show junkie ), and take my pain meds before my Mom gets there. She had been coming everyday to help me with my bedrest. I get up to take my dishes in the kitchen and go to the bathroom. When I went to sit down- What was that?? A gush! Ick. I figured it was probably like last time and some pee escaped. How embarrassing. Mom comes in right as I try to sit down again. ICK! Another one. Of course, she sees the look on my face and asks me what is wrong. I tell her about the gush and being the chronicly excited person that she is, she says, “Oh my god! Your water broke!! The baby’s coming, let’s go, let’s go!!” After I calm her down she agrees to wait with me a bit so we can see what the gushes do. I had gone to L&D for a water break false alarm before and didn’t want to do it again. Well, gushes just keep coming, even when I’m sitting and not doing anything. I agree to appease Mom (and myself as I’m even getting a little suspicious at this point) and we head off to L&D.

    Skip forward. We get to our Triage room and as I’m dressing down, WHOOSH!! No doubt about it, OMG, what the HECK, my water breaks and just keeps coming all over the floor. The nurse comes in and I keep apologizing like an idiot cause for those of you that has never felt their waters break, it feels like you’re peeing yourself and you just can’t stop it. I’m doing this all over the triage floor. In front of the nurse. Who is very sweet and keeps assuring me it happens all the time.

    I call my husband, we get checked into a room, and laboring begins! The doctor told me they wanted to start me on pitocin since my water broke and I asked if we could wait to see if we could let me labor naturally since that was a part of my plan. She agrees and I’m allowed free range to labor with little interruption. After receiving my plan, the hospital was incredibly respectful of our wishes for a natural birth and did everything they could to accommodate it. I was really impressed that all the nurses and doctors had appeared to have all read my plan carefully and updated each other with shift changes. They were so respectful, I learned later that they told my mom they absolutely refused to offer me pain medication when she was YELLING at them at the nurses station to do something because I explicitly put it in my plan that I would ask for it if I needed it. I wasn't too happy with my mom when I found out about this, but I was INCREDIBLY impressed with the hospital staff.

    Unfortunately, my body wasn’t wanting to cooperate as much as I’d hoped.

    They only initially checked my progress when I was admitted since they needed to verify my water had broken as it was. The hospital was pretty insistent on minimal checks afterwards to limit my risks of infection. When I checked in, I was about 2 cm dilated.

    About twenty-four hours into labor (after naps, walking, birthing ball, and various other laboring positions) my contractions were going from consistent to inconsistent, but progressively getting more painful, which the doctor and my doula found to be very reassuring that there was progress. Sophia was sunny-side up, so I was having some crazy back labor and I was becoming delirious from exhaustion and pain. They decided to check me at 24 hours because I had developed a fever indicating I had an infection.

    I was STILL at 2 cm dilated, but I was 80% effaced and -1 or 0 station.

    After this, I asked to have pain medication. I had hit the wall and needed sleep more than anything. The nurse (knowing my birth plan) tried to encourage me to walk around the hall first and see how I felt afterwards. At that point I’d been laboring on my side in bed for about an hour. I agreed to, but I still wanted the pain medication when I got back.

    They tried giving me something in my IV first and I labored for a couple hours with the pain medication. It definitely took off the edge, but they were only able to give 2 injections of it. Once the two were worn out and they told me they really should start the pitocin because of my infection, I decided I really needed the epidural.

    I felt like I was letting everyone down, but my husband, doula, and hospital staff were very supportive. All through the labor they told me I was laboring like a warrior and the nurse told me the staff were all back there rooting for me and my natural labor. When I decided to get the epidural, she said they were all really impressed by how long I went without it with the back labor and no one blamed me for needing a break. My husband said he had never been so impressed by another human being his whole life and he was "just in awe" of me. After the they put in the epidural, I felt confident in my decision.

    Once I had the epidural, of course they started the pitocin. However, I was finally able to relax and sleep. I was happy that they encouraged me to labor on my sides rather than on my back. My doula made sure that if I wanted to, I could also labor on my hands and knees since I could still move my legs just fine.

    Skip forward another 10 hours or so. My contractions are still coming irregularly, but they wanted to see if I’d made progress. They checked me and found I was 8cm dilated, 100% effaced, and 2 station! I was so happy I couldn’t begin to describe it! So they felt good about me laboring more with the antibiotics.

    Six hours later and I start to feel the need to push. The midwife and doctor on staff advised me to wait until I needed to push to the point of not being able to help it because they didn’t want to risk checking me again until I was really ready to push. Within the hour, I’m actually pushing involuntarily. They check me…

    I’m still 8cm dilated, 100% effaced, and 2 station.

    This is where things start to get a little scary for me. As time passed, they continued to allow me to labor without bringing up a c-section because of the gradual progress and they knew it was a last resort for me. By this time, my contractions were still irregular, the baby had made her first bowel movement, I still had a temp from an infection, and I was pushing involuntarily without being fully dilated.

    The doctor came in and said if I would like to I could still labor a couple more hours and we could see what happened, but that at that point a c-section might be the best option. I completely agreed. I didn’t want to chance laboring another 2 hours with everything that was going wrong with this labor. I opted for my last and final resort, what I‘d worked so hard this entire pregnancy to avoid: the c-section.

    Sophia Ann Grow was delivered via c-section at 11:04pm on Thanksgiving evening after 38 long and difficult hours. A very healthy little girl (9 apgar), 7 lbs 11 oz and 21 inches long.

    The first time I heard her cry was the most amazing moment of my entire life. She was given to my husband and I held my hand out to her. She grasped my finger with her tiny little hand and just stared at me without crying. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's so true: it was as if she was saying thank you, acknowledging who I was, and telling me she loved me already.

    Though things definitely didn’t go as planned, I feel good about all the decisions I made during delivery leading to a healthy baby and mother in the end. I’m healing well and I am so in love with my little girl.

    She is worth every moment of this eventful journey.
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.

  7. #7
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Tigh's Birth Story:
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinepea
    Tigh Scott's birth story

    The past couple days before the birth, I had grown exhausted and VERY uncomfortable. Tigh was low and ready to go, but with no sign of when. Still, I knew it was soon so moved up the start of my maternity leave a week. Thursday evening came along and I started having more intense menstrual cramping (little did I know that this pain was NOTHING compared to what I'd be feeling later that night). Well, they were very infrequent so when DH asked if he needed to stay home from his movie screening I said no and that I'd be fine. After he left I was quite exhausted and headed to bed early - I actually fell right asleep at 8:30. About 9:15 I wake up to use the bathroom and as I sit on the edge of the bed to get my barring before standing, I feel an intense amount of pressure followed by a gush of water. I rushed to the bathroom and my underwear was soaked with clear fluid mixed with a small trace of pink. The pressue I was feeling was very obviously not normal and so I called DH. Luckily he had just gotten out of the movie and was talking with friends outside the movie theater. All I said was that my water broke and I was in a lot of pain and he said that he'd be right there....and he was, must have been driving 90 mph. While I waited for DH, I called the OB and chatted with her for about 10-15 minutes to help ease the anxiety I was having.

    Once DH arrived, we grabbed our bags and left for L&D (OB called ahead). We were put in a triage room and when the doctor on duty went to swab for a water break test, she didn't even have to stick the swab halfway up before saying, "Yes, she is grossly ruptured" (not a pleasant discription IMO). Within 10 minutes we were sent to a L&D room and hooked up to monitors. I was checked in triage and was 3cm 100% effaced and I was having contractions every 2-5 minutes. I immediately asked for an epidural because the pain was unbearable (I give major props to you natural birth mommies!). It seemed to take forever for the epidural to come because I first had to have fluid and it took two sticks on each arm before a vein was found (ouch!). About 10 mins after the epidural was in, I was feeling great but baby's hb took a dive since my bp dropped quick. Four nurses were immediately in the room and rolling me from side to side. My contractions were about 1 min apart and so once baby was okay (all it took was turning me from side to side) they checked me and I was 6cm 100% effaced and +1 station!! That change was all in the matter of two hours (10pm-12am) - I was going fast. After the excitement, DH and I rested for two hours before a nurse came in saying the monitors were showing baby was trying to start his birthday. I had been feeling some pressure in the 15-20 mins before the nurse came in so I wasn't too surprised. She checked me and I was 10cm and ready to go! I was thrilled that pitocin did not have to be administered and that my body was doing exactly what it needed to do. I used a mirror which was AWESOME and the nurse kept complimenting me saying that my pushes were not first timer pushers. That only made it easier for me to stay focused and so an hour later I watched in the mirror as Tigh entered the world. He is healthy and tiny and lean and strong and I'm absolutely enamored by him.

    BFing will take some time to get used to but we got some good latches today and I'm ever so hopeful for tomorrow. DH is so helpful with changing the diapers and catering to my postpartum needs. I'm enjoying lots of discomfort from a very swollen vaginal area and hemmorhoids, but other than that I'm pretty positive. I've been enjoying my free room service in the recovery room, and I'm looking forward to a hot shower. If everything looks good, we will be home late Saturday or Sunday.

    I'm sure this could be ten times longer, but I'll spare you the minute by minute details. Thanks for all your support ladies!
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.

  8. #8
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Birth Story of Silas
    Quote Originally Posted by mama_to_peanut
    was born at 12:26 AM on Thanksgiving day!

    Little Silas James R****** weighed in at 7 lbs 6oz and is 19 3/4 in. long
    We arrived at L&D at 5:30 am on Wed morning thinking that I might be in early labor. I was having excruciating back pain and couldn't stop vomiting. They put me in a room right away and took my vitals. My BP was high, so the doctor ordered labs right away. The nurse checked me and I was still about 1 cm and my cervix was still pretty high. My labs came back and were not looking good. It turns out that I had developed HELLP Syndrome within the last week of my pregnancy
    . They decided to induce labor immediately because my blood pressure was so high and my liver enzymes were so bad. I was started on pitocin, magnesium, and "sugar water". The Pitocin started the contractions very nicely. They got them to be about 2-3 minutes apart and I wasn't even feeling them. The doctor came in and broke my water, and only then did my contractions start to hurt. They had already placed the epidural catheter earlier in the day since my platelet count was low and if it dropped any lower, they would not have been able to give me the epidural due to the risk of bleeding in the spine. I finally decided that I was ready to have them start the medication in the epidural. It took several boluses through the epidural catheter before I was completely numb. The Anesthesiologist thinks that this was because I am 6'3" and the medication had such a long way to travel. After the epidural finally kicked in, I was able to sleep for about an hour and a half. When I woke up, the doctor checked me and I was fully dialated. I can"t remember exactly, but I think I pushed for about an hour and a half and then baby Silas was born. They had the NICU team in the room since I was on the magnesium and they wanted to make sure that he wasn't having any trouble breathing. He was fine, but I had trouble with hemorrhaging and very low blood pressure (60/30) after the delivery. They finally got things under control and I was able to hold him.

    If ya"ll have gotten this far, thanks for reading and sorry for the delay in getting this posted! Through all the scary complications, I still wouldn't trade my birth experience for any thing in the world. I feel so blessed by God!
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.

  9. #9
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Austin's Story:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan's Mama
    I don't really have an exciting birth story since I had a scheduled c-section. Everything went as planned - I arrived at the hospital at 9:30AM on Wednesday, got prepped, and was wheeled in to the OR around 11:45AM. Austin was born at 12:01PM and was 8lbs, 18.5in. I was incredibly nervous about the c-section this time, even though I didn't have a bad experience at all with my first. I was just aprehensive because I knew exactly what would happen. I had a wonderful anesthesiologist that calmed me through the entire thing and told me exactly what was happening every step of the way. She even had my hubby stand up and watch Austin being born, told him what to take pictures of, etc. Austin was very healthy and got to come back to the recovery room with us, where I got to breastfeed him for the first time. We stayed in recovery for about an hour and a half and were then wheeled upstairs so that Austin could go to the nursery, get his bath, etc. The nurses actually wheeled my bed to the nursery and I got to watch him from the window (something I didn't get to do with Ryan). He was quickly brought to my room and we did skin-to-skin to warm him up for about an hour and a half. Pain has been soooo much better this time around. I accidentally ripped out my epidural on Thursday morning (it wasn't supposed to be removed until Friday) so I had to take something different for pain. I actually didn't need any pain meds past Friday morning and have just been taking tylenol. We are slowly adjusting to life with a newborn again. Lack of sleep is HARD. Ryan was incredibly excited to meet his baby brother and has wanted to hold him, sing to him, give him kisses, etc. I have noticed today that he seems more jealous and wants to be in the middle of everything. My hubby and I won parent of the year award tonight. After we tucked Ryan in for bed he called me back in to his room to let me know his belly was growling and he didn't know why.... probably because we never fed him dinner. Oops. Tomorrow is a new day. I stopped breastfeeding Ryan after 2 weeks because my milk never came in. I am hoping this time around is different, but we are on day 4 with no milk. I am breastfeeding, pumping after each feeding, taking More Milk Plus (fenugreek, etc.), and drinking the tea. I am not sure what more I can do?! We go to the pediatrician tomorrow for Austin's weight check. Hopefully he hasn't lost any more weight, but I am nervous. We left the hospital with him weighing 7lbs, 4 oz.
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.

  10. #10
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee


    Kayrael's Story:
    Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaX3
    Hi Everyone... Sorry I have been really absent. I check in every day and read everyones posts, but I'm usually on my phone when that happens. And trying to type a response or start a post can be a really big pain. And when I do check on the computer, I usually get to distracted by Joshua to write on anyones posts. And I have been really lazy/busy.

    I do mainly go on Facebook for those of you who have me on Facebook. It's easier to access on my phone

    First order of news is that Rob proposed to me on October 10th That was a big shocker but it was a very happy day We are hoping to get married on June 25th but still need to get the church booked and stuff like that. We are probably going to start major planning in January, because right now we are busy with a newborn and now christmas... so the plans are just going to have to wait.

    Second, we moved into Robs Dads house on November 1st, it's okay. I would love to have our own place by the time we get married But right now finances are tight and this is our best option to get caught up.

    And the best news of all Kayrael was born on Monday November 29th
    She weighed 6 pounds 14.4 oz and 20 3/4 inches long.. She is very long and skinny. Much smaller then I thought she was going to be. I was thinking she would be any were from 7.5 to 8 pounds. But that was not the case. The c-section went very well, except for the fact that I got sick on the operating table. Thank god Rob wasn't in there yet. lol. But they still had to use forceps just to get her out, just like they did with Joshua. After she was out they cleaned her up and they handed her right to me, I was the first person to hold her And then I passed her off to Rob and the guy who numbed me (sorry can't remember his title) took some pretty good pictures of us And after they wheeled me into the recovery room she was brought to me and instead of her being taken to the nursery they did her assessment right in the recovery room with me. So she really hasnt left my side from the minute she was born. Which is way different then it was with Joshua.

    Breastfeeding is going great! She latches on really well and my milk came in on day 2. So I'm pretty happy with how it's going But I do make an abundance of milk. I have to pump as well as feed her right now. If I pump until no more milk comes out, in one sitting I can pump about 10 or 11 ounces.. but usually I just pump to take the edge off, because it can get very very painful. But it's good because this way Rob can feed her a bottle every now and then and I have a frozen stash in the deep freeze if i ever have to be away from her.

    I was only in the hospital until wednesday which is great! Cause I thought I was going to be stuck in there till thursday. Rob stayed the night as well, which was a great help to me.

    The pain has been harder to deal with then I remember it being with Joshua, the staples were removed on friday, all 11 of them, and that has seemed to make a big difference. I haven't had to take any pain medication since Saturday morning, where as I was taking it every 4 hours.

    She eats a lot more then what I thought she would, and she really doesn't cry all that much. Only when she is cold or getting her diaper changed and even then it's more of a whimper type cry then an all out cry.

    When we left the hospital she weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces, and on friday she weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces.. so slowly she is gaining weight back. I hope that she has passed her birth weight when we go in for her appointment on Tuesday
    Last edited by TyrantOfTheWeek; 12-14-2010 at 08:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions