I'm sorry, Jenn. I know this doc "says" she is all for your VBAC-- but nothing about her suggests to me that she is. I probably do sound like a suscipicious homebirthing nutjob....but I can't wrap my head around her strategy of care.
Why even bother with a late u/s when they are wrong? Even the ACOG doesn't rec induction or c-section for suspected "big baby"......so why waste the time/energy on doing the u/s? Why insist on the 40 week c-section? There is no data to suggest that cut-off.....
I dunno. I think if you really want this VBAC, then you need to find your bubble of peace and retreat into it. You need to surround yourself with only positive stories and outcomes and words....and people. And this OB is not helping IMO.
More ((HUGS)) I wish you were seeing my MW. She could lift you up
DD 8.03, DD 6.05, DS 3.07, DD 5.09, and DS arrived 6.17.12
I just really, REALLY want to reiterate - that just because I have a scheduled c-section does NOT mean I am NOT dedicated to this VBAC. That's something that just kills me every single time to read.
I DO want it. I've prayed for it every day - but as I said, because of the experience I had with Ayden, there are certain risks I'm not willing to take.
I don't put much stock into the u/s - and you know what, after thinking about it, I don't think she will either. I don't think she's seen the results yet and odds are she'll see them tomorrow right before the membrane strip and will most likely say she wished that I wouldn't have gone to that place - the girl couldn't get good measurements at all, I mean one leg measured 39 weeks - the other measured 36 and she kept saying "she's too bundled up in here, I can't measure her" - so you know what, whatever. I don't care if she's 8 or 9 lbs, or what, I'm still going to try and my doctor is most likely not going to stop that. I was pretty concerned about her fluid level because she does not move but maybe a few times per day at this point - so that was the reason I allowed the u/s, otherwise, I actually would have turned it down. I too find that size thing pointless.
I've done all I can to this point, I've taken all the advice and been nutritionally sound this pregnancy - I've been doing what I can to make sure my body will "work" with me - but if it doesn't and my child comes out safe through c-section, I will be slightly disappointed obviously because I did work so hard to be able to experience natural birth - but having her that way doesn't make me any less of a person.
I've decided to keep the scheduled c-section the way it is and not fight it off - it doesn't make it that I'm any less dedicated to the idea at all of having a VBAC - like I said, there are just certain bridges I don't want to cross again and I think in the end, if the VBAC is meant to be, it will happen beforehand. If it doesn't, it doesn't, and I will still have a healthy baby in my arms anyway. I learned after how upset I got yesterday that it's just about the best way I can see any of this.
Huge (((HUGS))) hun, I know how you feel. While I didn't have the VBAC on my shoulders I was hanging between an out of hospital birth and a hospital birth until the day DS was due! I did just what your talking about and I trusted that God had our best intrest in mind, I had done EVERYTHING possible to have my out of hospital birth, but in the end I ended up there anyway. Honestly it was really hard for me to do, and I feel like I could cry right now just typeing about it. I think the thing that gives me peace is just to trust that it was supposed to happen the way it did. I had another natural birth and was well taken care of. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to let you now that I know how you feel, and I think your a great mama! Your baby is going to come into this world the way that's best for you and her. Try and relax and believe that, I know that once I really gave it all up I went into labor....6 days earlier then my last pregnancy mind you I'll be praying for you!
I'm very sorry to hear that the exam showed no progress.
I do believe that you are dedicated to VBAC. It's your doctor I'm concerned about. (And I think everyone else is meaning to say the same thing) I know you like your doctor, but it just seems to me that sticking to a policy of "no VBAC after 40 weeks" is not in your and your baby's best interest. I completely understand, after an experience like yours with Ayden's birth, why you would want to do everything you could to avoid that and have the least risky birth available to you. While being induced when your body is not ready does increase your risk, giving it more time and going past your due date does not, and I'm sure your guess about the baby's size is MUCH more accurate than that stupid u/s (research actually indicates that ultrasounds are least accurate, followed by provider measurement guesses, and the most accurate is the mother's own guess). I'm sure your doctor will ignore the 8lbs12oz nonsense, so really, there is no reason not to give you more time, IMO.
But even if you end up with a c/s, as long as you are able to avoid being put to sleep again, you will have achieved a better birth experience than last time, and that will be a success for you.
Please don't feel like we're attacking you. We're not accusing you of not being dedicated to a vbac... it's just that when we see fellow members getting upset and distraught over a healthcare professional's advice and opinions, we're going to try to give advice and let you know that there are other options out there. It's just our way of showing you support and telling you that you're right to trust your own instints.
I'll have my fingers crossed that baby shows very soon for you.
DD - Nov/06, DS - Sept/08, DS - Mar/11
I understand the concern about my doctor - I certainly don't think she's the best thing since Tampons, trust me...but I'm happIER with her than I was with the doctor that put me through Ayden's birth ... ignorance, I tell you.
The good thing is that I've spent the past 2 hours on the toilet (my poor son, he's on his second round of Toy Story Part II, DH can't get home from work either, not until 5, the one day I could REALLY use it) - I've got major...poops...sorry...and I'm having pretty consistent contractions and when I have them, I pee myself (it's pee, not my water, trust me, I wish it was my water!) - I mean it's pretty intense at the moment and the cramps in between back and front are pretty bad too.
I'm so freaking tired - I told DH to please come home as soon as he could because my poor child is stuck in front of the TV and I have no power to interact with him at this point. I don't know what's going on - but I'm hoping it's a sign that maybe my body is progressing, and maybe stripping me tomorrow WILL do me some good...I know I at least have that.
Thank you for all of your support, it is truly, truly helpful - I think in the end I'm not giving up so to speak by not pushing the c-section back, but basically giving myself a plan - I feel like with everything in limbo it's stressing me out more - now I know what I'm dealing with.
Like I said, she's not going to push me for a c-section because some stupid ultrasound said my child is probably a pound bigger than I believe she is at this point ... I think she'll just give me fair medical warning, and that's fine, I'm just not going to sit there and believe her.
The poops and the cramping and the consistent contractions are good signs. If/When you can manage to get off the toilet, try getting on your hands & knees for a while. The back cramping could indicate that baby is in a posterior position, and that will make labor longer & more difficult. Being on all fours will let gravity help baby turn.
David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!
Emptying your bowels and needing to pee a lot is a good sign! I hope the contractions keep coming!
Harmony, JM, A, & M Our preschool-at-home blog
6w5d on 6/19/07 hb of 107 bpm 10/1/07. Lost at 7w6d