I'm so glad this doc is on the same page, that has to be such a relief! And that's good that you didn't break anything, maybe the popping sound you heard was from the sudden altitude change. I broke a toe or two when I was about 34 weeks along with Tiven, no idea how I did it either, but I must have been a sorry sight, a hugely pregnant woman on crutches.
I'm not normally a fan of membrane sweeping before at least 41 weeks, but in a VBAC situation I think if you're dilated enough to do it at 39 weeks, you might as well try. That way if it doesn't work, and you're still pregnant at 40 weeks, you can try it again along with other things, and then try it again at 41 weeks before you start getting the pressure to schedule a RCS.
David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!
I'm glad to hear that you like the new OB and she is supportive of your VBAC!
The stripping membranes can be a minimally invasive (as minimally invasive as having someone's hand up your whoha is ) way to get labor going. I've heard there is a slight risk it can accidentally rupture your membranes, which could be bad, but I've never actually heard of that happening in any of the stories I've read.
As far as the doula situation goes, I've decided against it. We just don't have $500 to spend right now, even if we paid $20/mo, especially with me not working after the baby's here. So I went to www.birthingnaturally.org and printed off a bunch of stuff for dh. He's going to really suck though. He tries not to make eye contact during labor because it freaks him out that I'm in so much pain. I'm going to also ask my sister to be "on-call" so she can be there to help me through it, and I think that the nurses will help a lot. They've got a pretty good nurse-patient ratio.
You have to make the decision that's right for you, and finances are a factor in that. Your DH can be your "guardian of the birth place" and your sister will your support, as well as the nurses. If you happen to get a nurse you don't like, you can have your DH go to the head nurse and request a different one.
How did I totally miss that you have a lodge here?
I'm glad your doctor is so supportive -- that'll make your chances of having a successful VBAC and a good birth experience so much better! I also considered hiring a doula until I saw the cost. I'd much rather trust myself and DH to get through things okay on our own and have the extra money to spend on the baby!
I agree with Spacers that I would hold off on the membrane sweep. I just like to let things happen naturally when they're ready. But if there was any talk of induction, I would definitely start with a membrane sweep before anything else. Let us know what you decide -- I can't wait to hear how your VBAC goes!
I'm glad that your new Ob is going well for you.
Tiff + Bobby 8/22/04
Hi there! Just catching up.
If I were you, I'd postpone the sweep as long as you can. Your doc is right that it won't do anythind if your body is not ready so it's best to wait until you're on the verge or even in early labour. It separates the BOW from the side of the uterus, causing some irritation to the cervix and therefore can stimulate labour... but because of the nature of the procedure, it works best the first time it's done. So in your shoes (and I've been there! haha) I would wait until the last gunfire to give it a try (ie when they really start pushing a c-section well after your EDD).
DD - Nov/06, DS - Sept/08, DS - Mar/11
I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. This new doc actually will induce VBAC patients versus going straight to c-section, and I'm thrilled with that. She is up on all the latest studies and everything, and said that many docs are scared off by the risk of rupture because lots of times the patients aren't good candidates for VBAC.
I'll have to ask her at what point she'll be inclined to try induction. If she's going to want to do it at 40 weeks, I'll have the sweep Thursday. If she gives me some more time, I may wait.
I was offered a sweep 2 days before my EDD with Isaac, and I declined. I was already 3cm and 85%, and I did NOT want to go into labor until 2 days later. As I left his office the ob said "she's going to leave here now and be in labor" , to which I replyed something along the lines of I'll see you Friday....guess who was right! I'd go with my gut at the moment on that issue to be honest, I think you'll know if it's right or not.
How are things?
DD - Nov/06, DS - Sept/08, DS - Mar/11