Definitely sounds like you're getting close! I can't wait!
Ryan and Rachael
Parents to Chase, Abby, Hunter, Rachel, Caleb, Hannah & Nate
~Remembering sweet baby Oliver, born to Heaven October 20, 2009, & keeping Carole in our prayers~
Yep, you're getting close! I can't wait to hear more!
Hey everyone...not feeling particularly close today but I think I'm dropping. I'm still getting twinges and pains. It always hurts to get out of bed in the middle of the night so I'm wondering if I'm actually waking up due to BH or other ctx.
I'm also feeling the baby move a lot less, but I know that's normal so I'm trying not to worry.
My 39wk appt is tomorrow at 11:40...I am thinking no internal check but if I mention the decreased movement they might hook me up for an NST, which might be interesting. I haven't had one this pregnancy--also haven't had an U/S since 21wks. Not that I've needed one, but you know, for curiosity's sake it might me nice to know if I'm contracting. What do you guys think?
Oh and one more question, TMI of course: so we try to DTD when we can but DH works nights so lots of times I'm alone when I go to bed. And I know that O can stimulate ctx and get things going, so sometimes I take matters into my own hands...SO...lately I've noticed that afterwards I'll get some achy low back pain along with the tummy tightening. Do you think the back pain could be an indication of *real* ctx?
morning all...just got out of the shower & am enjoying the peace of a quiet house before everyone is up. I'm still deciding whether to ask for an internal check at my appt this morning. I'd normally not even consider it but I'm so darned curious all of a sudden!
Anyhow I'll let you know what happens.
Great appt! I saw a MW I've only met once or twice, and she's a really good one--very easy gentle & warm manner, really listens, never breaks eye contact, gives thoughtful advice, etc.
When the nurse checked my weight and BP (normal), I told her the baby was moving a little less in the past wk and while I wasn't particularly worried, I thought I should mention it. She put me on the monitors right away, and of course baby immediately moved a ton and had all the appropriate accels/decels, ranging between 130 & 155bpm. No ctx. I admit it was nice to sit there with my feet up and listen to his/her HB. After 5min the MW came in and said that protocol dictated I had to stay on the monitor for 20min but she could already see that baby was doing perfectly. We chatted about my last birth and my main concerns: I want to go into labor on my own, I'm worried that I won't ripen, etc.
To aid in ripening, she suggested DTD and any intestinal irritant (castor oil though she didn't think it was the most pleasant option), lots of spicy foods, etc. I asked about EPO and she said yes, absolutely I should give it a try orally and inserted. I asked about the cohoshes and she said black, not blue, and to give that a shot as well. She also mentioned something that I'd have to get prescription-strength from a naturopath: caulo-something? I should've written it down but didn't know any naturopaths so I wasn't sure I'd be able to find one quickly enough anyhow.
Interestingly, she didn't recommend RRL. She said that women who take it seem to experience longer early labor--probably because they're noticing uterine activity sooner. I may or may not keep drinking it.
I asked if she could check baby's position thinking she'd do it externally but she took me into an exam room and did an internal, which was just as well--it made our previous discussion less academic since, surprise surprise, baby is still floating high! I said "still at -4?" and she said, "Oh, I'd call it -5." haha
She didn't mention my cervical status so I asked, "Am I still high, tight, closed, and firm?" She laughed and said, "Well, I wouldn't call you firm, I'd call you...moderate." But yes, no effacement or dilation. I can't say I'm surprised! She said that if the baby was lower and applying pressure then maybe I'd show a little dilation, and reminded me that dilation can occur while baby is high.
I asked about the induction deadline and brought up my fears about not progressing enough on my own, and how I may just be a person whose body wants to go 42wks. Hosp policy is to induce no sooner than 40+7 and not later than 40+10. She reminded me I can always dictate my own care, but then said, "you know, this isn't something we do, but it's something we could try: at 40+7 when you come in, we could give you a dose of miso and send you home and let you ripen for a few days...that way if you make it to 40+10 you'd at least have a head start w/ripening...or better yet, would just go into labor..." I thought that was an interesting idea and will ponder it. She said she'd tell the Birthing Pavilion that she suggested it to a patient so they know it might be requested, and that I should tell my next MW that I've researched it on my own and it's what I want. It's my (insurance company's) money, after all! I know how people here feel about miso (Cytotec) and I would probably request Cervidil instead like I did last time.
I also asked her about the heplock/pit for PPH. She said that if I decline the heplock I'd still automatically be given an IM injection of pit following birth (unless I refuse that too), but that of course IV delivery is much faster. Also, there's no way of knowing if my PPH was purely due to tired uterus, or if I'm a person who would be more likely to have one anyhow, so even if my next labor is fast & easy, they would rather be proactive. I see the reasoning and will probably just accept the heplock. It will ease my DH's mind, too.
I told her the baby still seems to be rotating (but staying head-down) and she said to do lots of leaning-forward positioning, hands and knees crawling around, etc, but that the baby's high station is a huge plus--he/she has tons of space to rotate.
So, all in all, a good appt, despite lack of any measurable progress. In a way I'm glad because I really do need another week. I'm going to call around about EPO & black cohosh and pick those up on my way home.