Birth story #4:
Helaina was born at 2:04 pm on April 11, 2007, at 37 wks 1 day. She was 9 lbs 4 ozs. 20 1/2 inches long, Head, 14 1/2 inch, Chest, 14 1/4 inches.
I went to my Doc's appt at 10:15 am on Tuesday, April 10th for my 37th week checkup. BP was a little elevated and I still had notable edema. Weight gain was up only 1 lb.
32 wks - 34 cm
34 wks - 37 cm
35 wks - 38 cm (u/s showed baby weighing 7 lbs 6 ozs)
36 wks - 40 cm
37 wks - 42 cm
I was now measuring 6 wks ahead in fundal height. Doc was getting concerned about baby's weight. My first baby weighed 8 lbs 13 ozs and my second baby weighed 8 lbs 15 ozs, both were born on their EDD's. My third baby, born at 38 wks, weighed 7 lbs 12 ozs. So we knew that I make big babies
We discussed the pros and cons of inducing at 37 wks gestation and the concern about mature lungs. I had been having pelvic pain and every step was hurting now for several weeks. He checked my cervix and I was 1 cm, 50% effaced, and high.
We decided to induce that day. He had me check in the hospital at 5 pm so that he could meet me at 5:30 pm and put Cytotec near my cervix. Well he forgot he had a meeting at 5:30 pm and then he went out to dinner with his wife and kids. The OB nurses paged him around 7pm since he had not shown up yet
He showed up to the hospital at 7:45 pm and checked me and I was now at 2 cms. He inserted the Cytotec and joked and said that maybe we'd have a baby by midnight or around 2 or 3 am.
Contractions started about 8:30 pm and were coming at 3 mins. apart. The nurse checked me at 10 pm and said no change in cervix. She checked me at midnight and said that I was still 2 cms and about 75% effaced. She told me that she'd give me a Benadryl to help me sleep and would start me on pitocin by 6 am. I continued to have contractions all night and I got about 1 1/2 hours of sleep.
The Doc came in about 8 am and broke my water and checked and I was completely effaced and 3 cms and said maybe baby between 10 am and Noon. I was checked at Noon and I was 4 cms and they could feel the baby's head. The nurses said that once I hit 5 cms they expected me to go fast.
Finally around 1:30 pm, I started feeling lots of pressure and contractions every minute or so. They called the Doc back and they started letting me push about 1:50 pm. DH said that he heard the Doc whispering to the nurses. The Doc said that the baby head was stuck against the anterior lip of the cervix. They had me pushing with all I could. Finally her head cleared the cervix and she was born at 2:04 pm. I did not have any tears, just a few skid marks. The only pain meds I have was one shot of Stadol to take the edge off.
My DH, Grandmother, and Mother was in the room with me. Grandma later told me that the Doc was down on his knees trying to pull the baby out when she was stuck. She was a little bluish when she came out and had apgars of 7 & 9.
We stayed in the hospital for the standard 24 hours, but they offered a little longer if I wanted due to being 37 wks gestation. The Doc told me that he was glad that we induced when we did since she was getting so big. I probably would have ended up with a c/s if I went to much longer.
Doc holding up baby:
Mom with baby:
Mom with 3 daughters:
Last edited by Chrissy77g; 12-04-2008 at 07:26 PM.
I had my 36th week checkup on Tuesday. BP was good, lost 1 1/2 lbs, and I measured 40 cms. My total weight gain for this pregnancy now is 27 lbs. I am happy with that. I have exercised almost daily throughout this pregnancy. I still do a daily walk on the treadmill while my 20 month old is napping.
This pregnancy has went well for me and it is my last. Five kiddos is enough and I am not getting any younger.
34 week pics:
I need to take 36 week pics soon.
You look great! I enjoyed all of your birth stories, and it sounds like your not far from this birth! What is the plan this time around, if you don't mind me asking? Your appointment sounds good and your girls are super cute!
I might end up giving into induction around 38 weeks due to the size of the baby and also due to Christmas coming up soon.
I will not have an epidural, I never had one and I don't want one. I wouldn't want to risk it.
Last edited by Chrissy77g; 12-06-2008 at 02:42 PM.
After doing some major nesting today, I had a small glob of mucous. I am hoping to go sometime in the next 2 weeks.
Wow, I enjoyed reading your birth stories and can't wait for your next one. I hope you make it to labor in the next two weeks.
Tiff + Bobby 8/22/04