I'm sorry you are dealing with frustrating people. It really sounds like they say they do VBACs to get more patients, but then they make it nearly impossible for you to actually have a VBAC with their policies, ie, you can only have a VBAC if, either you go into labor on your own before 39.5 weeks, or if an induction with AROM is successful at 39.5 weeks, otherwise it's repeat c/s for you--IMO, that is not a pro-VBAC way of operating. You are right about the number of spontaneous labors before vs. after 40 weeks. This is from Shelia Kitzinger's The Complete Book of Pregnancy and ChildbirthThat sounds to me like a lot more women go into labor after 40 weeks than before. Are you sure about the time of conception? Perhaps you could convince them that your EDD is off? Although there is a statistically higher rate of some complications after 40 weeks, it doesn't apply to pregnancies that are dated 40 weeks that are actually 38 or 39 weeks. And some babies actually need to be in a little longer. If I were you, I would rather be closely monitored and wait for either an indication to induce or do a RCS or for spontaneous labor. You are not being selfish, I believe that there are more risks to inducing or doing a c/s than to letting your pregnancy go past 39.5 weeks. And to me, the dr. does sound like a whack job.Studies show that only 5 percent of babies arrive on [the EDD]. If you look at the 95 babies out of 100 who do not put in an appearance on the "correct" date, you find that 3 out of 10 babies come before the EDD, and 7 out of 10 come after it
I just noticed you are from AZ too. Not sure if you are familiar with the Tucson area but this is at TMC. Supposedly a great hospital for delivering babies and I must admit that my tour of L&D was awesome! It's just dealing with these perinatologists, there is also supposed to be about 10 doctors in that group? I've only seen two and this last one was terrible! I should probably have went to an OB in Tucson that a midwife I spoke to had suggested. I've decided to go to this appointment at 39.5 weeks but will definitely not make any AROM or C/S plans unless they let me go to 41 weeks, then we can discuss it. I'm kinda hoping to go into labor before that though... I will be walking, walking, walking this week! I am pretty certain with my conception date as I was keeping pretty close track with NFP for over a year and knew the moment after DTD we had made this baby!
Sarah - as for the doula, it is something I would love to have had. I had made this decision for VBAC about 23ish weeks into the pregnancy and the cost would be $1000. I just dont have that kind of money right now but will definitely be thinking of something like that for the next time. So it is just my mom and John, they very much know this is what I want and I am hoping they will be the great support that I need to do this!
that doctor sounds crazy. I really hope things work out for you and you get your VBAC.
Well from my very first appointment till I decided to do a 180 on my medical care today was the day set for RCS. I just had to share that as much as I am getting more and more anxious to meet this little man the closer my due date approaches, I would gladly wait another month to avoid a planned surgery to take him. I am so glad that I made this decision and feel like I truly made the safest decision for us. Im not going to lie that I lately I have been getting anxiety about the potentially dangerous outcomes of the VBAC. its just if i was in that 2% to develop that chorioamnionitis than I could very easily be in that low percentage for uterine rupture? But then I am confident in my health and really REALLY want this natural birth! Ive read so many inspiring success stories and honestly believe I could be one of those ladies too, but the unknown scares me and I feel so wishy washy! But there is no going back, not that I would want to.
I think it's wonderful how you've done your research and found what's best for you and your baby. I know you'll succeed!! You have the drive to do it and you can!! I'm not even near your situation but know that even though this will be my 4th NCB I'm even getting anxity that this will be the one I remember as the worst! So far I don't have one that was the worst they were all different in their own ways, wonderful and I was very excited with each outcome. But you're not alone in feeling anxity. I look up to you for doing what you feel is best and not just give in to drs. You are amazing!
I'm glad you're pushing off talk of induction and rcs until 41 weeks, that gives you more time for your body to do something on it's own. I think you made the right decision to go for a VBAC. I think that you have less of a chance of two rare things (chorioamnionitis and uterine rupture) both happening to you.
I am so happy for you! I remember the beginning days on the April board and you wanting a RCS. I believe that you will be happy with the decision that you have made. It really is a beautiful thing to be in control of your body. I hope that it goes the way you have planned.
Ericka~Mommy to David, Paul and Adam
I've dilligently followed your lodge and am so excited for you. As condescending and arrogant as this sounds, as well as a bit goofy from a complete "stranger," I'm so proud of you for sticking to your guns. You have one of the more uphill battles for achieving the VBAC and you are staying so strong and determined. Yay for you!!!!!
Any signs labor might be around the corner?