Jotham was born after weeks of prodromal labor. I started contracting regularly, and dilating when I was just 32 weeks along. I went into "take it easy" "stay in baby" mode for the next 4 weeks, as I really didn't want a premature baby. Where we were living, that would mean going to another hospital, in another town, at least 2 hours away. Not something I wanted to do (well, premature is not something I'd want to do anytime, but it made it that much more unappealing) Added to this was a huge fiasco involving my ob, and a sudden urgent need to find a new caregiver.
When 36 weeks came along, I was given the all clear, though I still wanted him to stay in awhile longer. Dh was a full-time student, and he was having midterms all that week. That friday, I started contracting regularly yet again, but stronger, and we thought, "this is it." Alas it wasn't so, we went to bed and woke up with nothing in the morning.
For the next few days I really, tried to get things going again (you know, the whole natural list of things, walking lots, sex, rrl tea, pineapple, etc.) I really, really wanted to have the baby that week, as dh was now on spring break. It would just be so convenient to have him around for a whole week.
My little guy kept teasing me though, I kept getting contractions, regularly, timeable, and still nothing happened. After spring break was over, I still continued to contract, and I continued to try to get them to turn into something, with no results.
My mom flew in right at my 39 week mark to help out. I had really been hoping she'd be around after the baby, but instead we were walking around trying to get things going, lol. At my 39 wk 5 day apt, I was sooo tired of the prodromal labor, that I allowed my dr to strip my membranes. We then went for a nice walk, and when dh got home we had a little fun That night, dd 22 months, started running a fever, and I was finally in full blown labor. So at 2 in the morning, we decided since dd was having a hard time with me being home, but unable to take care of her, we'd go ahead to the hospital so mom could care for her without her seeing/hearing me. At that point my contractions were 3 min apart, and lasting 60-90 sec. We were worried about a snowstorm coming in, and also had no reason to believe that I'd be in labor for much longer.
Sure enough we got to the hospital and I was admitted. I was at 5 cm, with regular contractions, so I "should" be holding my baby in just a few hours. A few hours later... I was still at a 5. Some more hours later, still 5... and still contracting. In this time however, the contractions kept flipping back and forth from normal, to back labor, and then back again. I spent a lot of time on the birth ball, and in the shower, and walking around. My dr was in agreeance with me refusing an iv, unless it became necessary. Which was wonderful. She also was ok with my doing only intermittent monitoring of the baby/contractions.
Finally around 11 am, after I'd been in labor for 19 hours, we had a talk. My 1 regret for ds's birth, is that I let my dr talk me into letting her break my water. I was currently on a "good" run of contractions in my abdomen instead of back, and we thought that maybe if we broke the water he'd drop down and stay anterior.
As so often is the case the "plan" didn't work. I then proceeded to have back labor for the rest of the time I was in labor. Along with now being "on the clock" As time went on, I continued to stay at a 5. I used my hypnosis, but really had a hard time after awhile focusing on it, because of being tired, and also the extreme back labor. Around 3 or 4 pm, my dr came in and chatted with me. She herself was 4-5 months pg, and had been on call all night the night before. She had reached her limit of functioning without sleep, and needed to go home. She introduced me to her backup, also a family practice dr who I later found out was the backup to the homebirth midwife in the area. He was supportive as well of all my desires, and after she left we had a talk. I'd been contracting at that point for 24 hours, water broken for 6, and I was still at a 5. We talked for awhile, I expressed my desire to avoid pitocin, and we agreed that if there was no progress by 8 that evening, I'd agree to pitocin. I had another 4 hours to make any progress at all. I continued to labor through a shift change, and exchanged an angel of a nurse, for the nurse from hell. She wanted me to be monitored and not move around. And she had the nerve to tell me I wasn't contracting cause she couldn't pick it up on the monitor... woulda picked it up fine if she'd tried strapping it to my back instead of stomach... etc, etc, etc... At one point the u/s tech at the hospital showed up in my room because the nurse had called for her (without talking to me btw) because she was convinced that the baby was malpositioned. I put up with her antics for awhile, and then locked myself in the bathroom cause I couldn't take anymore. While in the bathroom in the shower, I began to have a breakdown. Told dh that I'd be pregnant forever, cause the baby just wasn't coming out, lol. In retrospect, I shoulda known then that I was in transition. He went for the nurse, and she checked me, and went to call the dr to ask for drugs without telling me where I was at. Not 5 min later, while she was still gone, I started to feel pushy. She came back and kept demanding that I roll over onto my back so she could monitor me while we waited for the dr. I kept refusing, liking my left side that I was on, and telling her if she wanted to monitor me that badly, she could move the whole deal around the bed and do it where I was, lol A little bit later, ds was crowning. Just in time, the dr walked into the room, assessed the fact he could see the head, and ordered the nurse to stop being a jerk and simply put stuff under me. That the baby was coming whether she liked it or not. 5 min later, ds was born, he literally turned from posterior to anterior, while he was coming out. He was born at precisely 8 o'clock, on march 19th, 2003. The same time I'd agreed to pitocin if I hadn't progressed. He came out with the cord wrapped around his neck a couple times, and was blue. I don't remember apgars, but he was administered oxygen for about 5 min in the room, before I was able to nurse him. I made it through with no cutting or tearing, and only had a couple of skid marks.
He was 8 lbs, 12 oz, and 19 1/2 in long.
Caleb's I'm going to cut/paste from the traumatic birth board. I can't go through it again right now....
Caleb was 7 lbs 8 oz, and 19 1/2 in long My kids seem to like 19 1/2, lol.
Caleb was supposed to be born around the middle of April. Jotham turned 2 on sat and then on monday morning I woke up sick. I was exactly 36 weeks according to my dates. I being the person I was, figured I had the flu and just decided to take it easy and try to get liquids into myself. After a couple of hours, a friend of mine called about something else, and could just hear that something was wrong. I told her I was sick and that my stomach was irritating my uterus and causing contractions so she volunteered to come take the kids off my hands. After spending most of the day laying around and unsuccessfully trying to keep liquids in, we headed to the hospital for some iv fluids. When we got there, we headed for l&d knowing that they would want to check me when they heard I'd been contracting. They checked a couple of things (checked to see if my water was intact) and my urine and hooked me up to the monitor. I told them really I just needed fluids and eventually the on call dr (mine was out of town) came in and gave me phenagran for the nausea and iv fluids. He wanted to give me terbutaline, but I was going against my grain to take the phenagran there was no way I was going to take the terbutaline. After a bag of fluids they released me and I headed home.
I continued to be sick all week long, and only managed to eat about 3-4 crackers and drank tons of liquid. The liquid stayed down, but the food was just not sitting right. Then on friday Mar 25, I woke up at 5 in the morning, contracting and with a very, very intense pain in my right side. Pain like I had NEVER experienced before in my life, it was constantly there, and the contractions were literally inconsequential in comparison. We called up friends and dropped the kids off and headed to the hospital. We were fairly certain that the baby was going to be born that day, and I knew without a doubt that something else was wrong too.
We got to the hospital, and I tried to tell them at the er that yes I was pg and in labor, but I needed someone to figure out what the other thing that was wrong was. They sent me up to l&d, where they once again checked my water, told me I was dehydrated, and hooked up an iv. By this point I was begging them to figure out why my side hurt soooo much, and also for pain meds. They asked me about contractions and I told them, and also told them that that wasn't what was bothering me. The constant pain was the problem.
Finally after enough complaining and pushing on my part, they ran a few tests. They drew blood, and took urine with a cath (because I couldn't pee, shoulda told them something) and did an u/s to look for kidney stones or gallbladder problems. Nothing showed up, but by then I had spiked a temperature, I was still in pain, and my contractions were making progress. The pain meds they originally had given me were doing squat, so they moved me from the "observation" room, to a l&d suite and then sent in the anesthesiologist for an epidural. I got the epidural and still didn't feel good, and tried to tell them that, but really they just weren't listening. 3 hours later, I was complete and started pushing. The baby's heartrate totally stopped and we were thrust into the emergency of get the baby out, or we're going to cut you open, sigh. I managed to get the baby out, though I couldn't feel anything, and fortunately without tearing too. The baby was wisked away to the cart, where they had to resucitate him. From there he went to the nicu because of low sats, and erratic breathing and heartrate. I sent dh with him, and I myself was stuck in the hopital room unable to move because of the stupid epidural. 2 hours later I tried to get up unsuccessfully, and I had to endure another hour. Finally 3 hours later, I managed to stand long enough to get into a wheelchair and was pushed to see my baby. I held him then for the first time, and we nursed. Then he went back into the bed, and I was sent back to my room and dh went home to get the kids and put them to bed.
I tried eating, but really couldn't eat more than a few bites still. Finally around 9 they brought me my baby because his breathing had settled into a pattern and his sats were high enough to take him off oxygen. I held him all night long, but still didn't feel real well. They gave me a lot of gasx, and motrin, and tylenol, and told me everything was normal. I continued to try to tell them otherwise, but honestly at that point, I was so tired of arguing with them that I just basically started to think whatever.
Sat I went home with the baby with 1 admonition from the dr. My biliruben level was high, so I should see my dr sometime in the near future. Well, true to form the baby developed Jaundice and I was busy dealing with that in addition to trying to feel better myself and establish a milk supply.
6 days later I woke up again with the same pain in my right side along with feeling like I couldn't breathe, having a numb left hand/arm, violent vomiting and for the 3rd time in a week and a half, we headed in to the hospital. After another fight at the er admit, they put me in an observation room and proceeded to do nothing. I was sitting there in pain, begging anyone that walked by for anything for the pain. Finally a nurse walked by at just the right moment and stopped to feel me. I was burning up and that finally convinced them to do something. They asked me to give them a urine sample and I reminded them that 1 of my symptoms was an inability to urinate. So they then proceeded to try 5 times to get a catheter in. Finally the 3rd nurse succeeded on her second (the 6th total) try. I told them my history of the previous week at the hospital and rather than running all the tests again, they opted to do a cat/mri? Scan. 5 min after the scan, the surgeon came in, introduced himself and announced that I had a burst appendix. 10 min later I was knocked out and rolled into the or. And thus began my 2 week ordeal in the hospital.
Hi! Shows how long I been off these boards, I didn't even know you were pregnant! Come visit the AP board again! Anyway so happy for you and I'll be follwoing your lodge!
Hi Cyn!! I'm around, just not a whole lot of time to post lately, so Il read the ap board, but only post if I feel like I have something more to add. I should have more time after the baby's here when I'm forced to sit and nurse, lol
Been an interesting day/night, but I'm still pg... I contracted regularly for most of yesterday, and right around dinner time, the baby's head hit a nerve in my leg, and made it so I couldn't stand/walk for a few hours, fortunately that went away during the night. Dh was convinced we'd be headed out in the middle of the night, but I told him I didn't think so, lol
I can't have him yet anyhow.... I still need to finish modifying my newborn diapers. I have 8 left that have been cut, but need sewn into prefitteds And this week is a busy week, with school performances, meetings, and plans.
Nancy, I loved reading about Jothams birth! I have a fear of all evil nurses. I hope I don't encounter one like that! I couldn't read Calebs birth because of the mere fact it was traumatic for you means it would be traumatic for me to read But I am so sorry for the pain that you still endure from it.
You are making prefitteds for your nb? Do you like those better than regular cotton fitteds (like KL0's) I've often wondered what the hype was about with prefitteds. Of course I've never even used a prefold. I only last week received my very first 3 GMD prefolds and snappi to try on my dd, to see if I will like it. But I haven't prepped them yet. We are still mainly a OS pocket household, though I do have some nice blueberry fitteds that I like. I'm hoping I like the prefolds too because they just seem to me to be more - sanitary I guess.
Leigh ~ I don't know if I'll like them better than normal fitteds, but I got the newborn sized prefolds for $.33 each... I can't justify the cost of normal fitteds, lol I'm converting them for about another .... $.10-.20?? each. This is the first time I've tried them though, I'm converting 1/2 of them more for dh's sake than mine, and I'm leaving the other half regular prefolds. We also have some contour dipes, and some os pockets, and some os fitteds to use.
My dh and his coworkers are cracking me up. They're convinced I have to have the baby today, lol. The kids are rooting for today also. I told dh last night though.. too many people are rooting for today, so there's no way he'll come today
I'm doing my best to prepare though for whenever it does happen. RRL tea, nettles, epo, hypnobabies scripts, etc. I figure when the time comes, it comes
dh ~ Jacob
dd ~ Ruth(11), ds ~ Jotham(9), ds ~ Caleb(7), ds ~ Evan (4), ds~ Ted (2)
Hi Nancy! I have enjoyed reading about you and your family. We have a few things in common...both married in 2000, both pg right away, both married in a temple, both have had several kids while DH in school/training, and both about to have another!
If baby wants to come today, at least it would mean a nice short labor!