Lions and Lambs Arrivals and Birth Stories!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Lions and Lambs Arrivals and Birth Stories!!

  1. #1
    Posting Addict marymoonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Lions and Lambs Arrivals and Birth Stories!!

    Now that our first baby has arrived, let's start up the arrivals and birth stories thread!

    As your Lions and Lambs arrive, post date/time/name/weight/length here to be included in the arrival list!! Also please share your birth story!

    January 24

    Rachel (Blessedwith4)
    Karolynn Faith
    4 pounds 15 ounces, 19 inches


    January 30

    Jade (jaders)
    Claire Victoria
    7 pounds 4 ounces, 18 inches


    February 14

    Lizi (lilybet)
    Jasper Christopher David
    8 pounds 12 ounces


    February 21

    Angela (Angela724)
    Ian Joseph Drake
    8 pounds 6 ounces, 22 inches


    February 23

    Lindsy (capricity)
    Riley Laine
    6 pounds 3 ounces, 18.5 inches


    Shruti (alusmom)
    Rehan Jay
    8 pounds 0 ounces, 21 inches


    February 24

    Christina (christinacc)
    Christian Joshua
    6 pounds 3 ounces


    February 25

    Allie (Allie01979)
    William Brian
    6 pounds 15 ounces


    February 28

    Renee (Fingers Crossed in FL)
    Cole Mason
    8 pounds 6 ounces, 21 inches


    Brittany (Mommy2007)
    Joseph Robert
    8 pounds 13 ounces, 21.5 inches


    Mary (marymoonu)
    Calvin Michael
    6 pounds 8 ounces, 18 inches


    March 1

    Ashleigh (ashleigheg12)
    Cailyn Ruth
    7 pounds 3 ounces, 21 inches


    March 3

    Laurie (led082607)
    Charlotte Jean
    9 pounds 9 ounces, 20 inches


    Brianne (GoodEyeSniper)
    Emmett Jude
    8 pounds 4 ounces, 20.5 inches


    March 4

    Callie (callie2)
    Harper Claire
    5 pounds 15 ounces, 18.1 inches


    March 10

    Philly (aidansxmommy)
    Nolan Parker
    6 pounds 14 ounces, 19 inches


    March 14

    Angela (Anngie60)
    Kieran Thomas
    6 pounds 14 ounces


    Layne (middle name TBD)

    6 pounds 2 ounces


    March 16

    Manda (mandora)
    Selene Katherine Alice (aka "Lilu")
    7 pounds 15 ounces, 21 inches


    Lisa (girlnamedlisa)
    Colton Emanuel
    8 pounds 2 ounces, 19.5 inches


    March 18

    Amy (asteuck)
    Lauren Kay
    9 pounds 2 ounces, 21 inches


    Erica (peach74)
    6 pounds 11 ounces


    Lisa (kerowyn)
    Thomas Oliver
    7 pounds 9 ounces, 20.5 inches


    March 20

    Amber (Amber_daisy)
    Quinn Oliver
    9 pounds 3 ounces, 52 cm


    March 22

    Jodi (Snapplebear09)
    Riley Amelia
    7 pounds 8 ounces, 21.5 inches


    Jules (kiwi_babe)
    ~~~It's Twins!!~~~
    Tessa Fleur - 8lb 2oz, 52cm at 3:13pm
    Sophie Violet - 6lb 5oz, 50cm at 3:21pm


    Hannah Josette
    7 pounds 4 ounces, 19.5 inches


    Rebecca (rmacburn)
    8 pounds 6 ounces


    March 23

    Meg (Maggies Mom)
    Piper Morley
    8 pounds 6 ounces, 20 inches


    March 26

    Donna (dn2011)
    Makena Leilani Adelle
    5 pounds 14 ounces, 20 inches


    March 28

    Lauren (La123)
    Oliver Finn
    10 pounds 6 ounces
    Last edited by marymoonu; 04-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.

  2. #2
    Volunteer Community Host Allie01979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Ontario, Canada

    Default Karolynn Faith's Birth story ~ Rachel (Blessedwith4)

    Karolynn Faith's story

    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith4 View Post
    Sunday January 23rd at 8:00pm I went into the hospital to start the induction. I dont remember what it is called but they started out with a tiny pill they put behind my cervix, and after all night of that every 3-4 hours I was having some very mild contractions and was dilated to about a 2 1/2 by around noon on Monday. They did one more of those and the next time they checked me I was at 3 so the midwife came in and broke my water and started pitocin. It took about an hour after that but I started to feel the contractions regularly and getting stronger. I had the epidural before they got seriously painful, but for some reason it didn't numb my right side as well as my left. I didn't mind at all actually cause my right side felt "asleep" and I was able to get a break from the contractions and sit and talk with my husband for a few hours. I ate some ice and noticed the numbness in my right side wearing off as the contractions got stronger. The nurse came in and checked me and I was about a 6-7 and I told her about the epidural and she had me lay at an angle to try and get the meds to go to my other side. She asked me on a scale of one to ten what my pain was and I said it was like a 5-6. She checked me and got this look on her face and I knew she was concerned. She looked at me and said my baby had her hand sticking out and was holding on to her finger! She went to tell my Dr and I swear the second she left my pain went from 5-6 to 10! I could feel my baby moving down into the birth canal and the contractions were so intense and non stop! My left leg was competely numb but the rest of my body was totally UNnumb so I kept trying to get into a comfortable position but I could not move my leg at all. The nurse came back and my dh told her what happened and all I could think about was pushing! I had the epidural with my daughter before this birth and it worked perfectly, my two kids before her were completely natural (one was a planned home birth) this was my most medicated birth and it was by FAR the most pain I have ever felt in my life. I have never felt like I couldn't handle it, or think past it but this time I felt seriously like I just couldn't take it. I was begging the nurse to get the dr when she finally walked in! She put my legs up and pulled the handles on the bed out for me to hold on to, and in one push my little Karolynn Faith appeared. She was so beautiful and pink and after about 10 seconds she even started crying. She was 4lbs 15oz and 19" long, born 6 weeks premature. She was tiny, pink, and perfect. The nurse brought her to me for a good 10 minutes before they took her into the NICU and she just sat there with her eyes open looking at me. My dh got to go with them into the NICU and said all the nurses couldn't believe how well she was doing. She didn't need any breathing tubes and sucked down a bottle all on her own. It has been emotionally hard on me, as I knew it would. Spending the night in a hospital bed alone, without my little baby was really hard. And leaving the hospital without her was even harder, but I am so unbelievably relieved and thankful that she is so strong and healthy. One of the nurses from the NICU goes to our church and so everyone in the NICU knew about my story and why little Karrie was going in there. It was so special for me to know she was already loved and so well cared for, but its not the same as being able to do it myself. Karrie got to come home at what would have been 35 weeks gestation age, which the nurse told me she had never seen. She was warmly welcomed by her siblings and is doing so so well. Thanks to everyone who was praying for us and following my blog.


  3. #3
    Prolific Poster jaders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Claire Victoria's Birth Story... (xp)

    Claire Victoria
    (DH's little velociraptor and my sweet eclair)
    January 30, 2011 at 6:45am
    18" long and 7lbs 4oz

    Her birth story really began Friday (January 28th), when I noticed bloody show and had mild cramps all day. Saturday (January 29th) I had more of the same, but no definite signs of progress, so we ran some errands, visited the in-laws, and talked them into watching the bunny for us. (Thank goodness!) DH and I headed home to get some rest, and I made a nest of pillows and blankets on the couch in a vain attempt to get comfortable.

    (And took one last belly pic that afternoon!)

    Sunday (January 30th) around 4:30 am, I was awakened by a sharp, stabbing pain in the cervix. I think I actually tried to leap off the couch (didn't work obviously) so I could hop around and swear (it really hurt), when I felt/heard that tell-tale pop. Yup, labor started with my water breaking *again*.

    I think I must have had a lot of fluid, because there was a gush on the couch, a gush on the floor, a gush on the way to the bathroom, a puddle on the bathroom floor, and another gush into the toilet. At least it was clear.

    I woke DH up to deal with the mess, make a light breakfast (I was *not* going to go to the hospital with an empty stomach, then not be allowed to eat again), and otherwise get us ready to go. I got a quick rinse-off in the shower and fresh clothes, then we were ready to head in.

    (I had wanted to have as natural a hospital birth as possible, but with her being so early, my water definitely breaking, and contractions starting, we decided not to wait it out at home. DH had a bad feeling and wanted to go in - glad I listened.)

    My contractions started very soon after my water broke (YAY for starting on my own this time!) and went from low cramps to painful and every 2-3 minutes almost immediately. They hurt much more than I thought they would - it actually felt just like the pitocin ones except that I had a short break in-between to refocus. It was amazing to moan and rock through them...I felt like I was really working with my body and not against it like last time.

    By the time we were actually at the hospital, I'd been having the contractions like that for about an hour. Then things got a little crazy with the initial assessment... The nurse took my information and went to check my cervix, then yelped, 'Holy ****, that's a foot!'. (She was so surprised, she actually forgot to check for dilation and had to do it again...6cm, with foot.)

    (That changed things - with a pre-term, footling-breech baby and broken water, a vaginal delivery was out and they started prepping me for a c-section. I was really proud of myself for getting that far on my own, though. I was making excellent progress (6cm after one hour of hard contractions), and had she been head down, I think I could have had a totally natural vaginal delivery.)

    It was awful waiting for the doctor, though. After a few more really painful contractions, I started feeling pushy. They didn't check my cervix again, but didn't seem to doubt that I could have finished dilating that quickly. I was a little disappointed about needing the c-section, but I'm glad to know my body *can* and *did* do what it was supposed to. Claire just had other ideas, apparently.

    Things were moving extremely fast then (though not nearly fast enough from my point of view), and they were getting me to the OR while the doc was speeding to the hospital. I was getting the spinal while she scrubbed (I don't think she even got into her scrubs, just gowned over her clothes), they fetched DH, and Claire was out at 6:45am.

    After that, the mood really relaxed and the team started joking with each other, with me (I was appreciating them now that I was numb and knew Claire was okay), and with DH. Apparently he was sneaking peeks behind the drape while they patched me back together and made a few cracks about my internal organs. They were awesome, and took great care of me and Claire.

    (Brand new, meeting her big sister...and look at all that hair!)

    Claire did give us a few scares, though, and was transferred to Children's Hospital for additional testing. So far, she's passed everything with flying colors (just had some low blood sugars and a touch of jaundice), and was known as the 'feisty baby' in the NICU.

    We're all home now and doing well - getting into a routine, working out the kinks of breastfeeding and toddler-wrangling, getting acquainted and really enjoying ourselves.

    (Three weeks old, and modeling the hat I knit for her.)
    Last edited by jaders; 02-22-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Wife to Jason 11.21.07
    Mum to an angel 5.16.08
    Our big Ellsabunny 8.8.09
    And the wee Eclair 1.30.11

  4. #4
    Posting Addict marymoonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Ian's Birth Story ~ Angela (Angela724)

    Ian's Birth Story ~ Angela (Angela724)

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela724 View Post
    **This is taken from my journal...and in case you wonder: Keith is my husband, Kessin and Rowyn are my older kids and Kylie is my 9 year old sister that was there.

    At my appointment on Thursday Feb 17,2011, I was told that I was 3cm and that the baby was very low. I became excited, thinking I would go into labor in the next day or two. I was only 38 wks along but had been having lots of contractions and pressure. My guess at the due date was Feb 19th and Keith’s was Feb 21st. Nothing happened over the next two days. I began looking into natural ways to progress labor and came across something that said Mexican and Chinese food can help. Keith and the kids love Chinese food so on Sunday about 1pm we ate at the Chinese Buffet. I immediately developed diarrhea (joy,joy) on the way home. I also stopped and picked up some castor oil. I thought I would try that and see what happens. Once we got home, I took a tablespoon of castor oil mixed in orange juice. This was about 4pm. I started feeling very sleepy and laid on the couch while the kids played and keith went to work. I noticed some contractions at about 6pm but didn’t pay attention because they were like the ones I had been having for weeks. Around 8pm I took another tablespoon of castor oil. I never got sick with diarrhea and cramping like I read it would do. The contractions started to come every 10 minutes though. Nothing painful, just lots of pressure. By 10pm, they were about every 7 minutes and by 11pm they were coming every 5 minutes so I called Keith at work and told him to come home. The kids had been in bed since 8pm and were sound asleep. While I waited for him to drive home from Mt. Vernon (45 minute drive), I began to get all my bags gathered up and got the kids some clothes picked out. I called my mom (I had warned her around 8pm that I might be close) and told her what was going on. She said she would call my aunt and they would meet us at the hospital (they live about 25 minutes away). Once Keith got home, we woke the kids up. By this time, the contractions were about 4 minutes apart and picking up intensity. I was still able to talk through them but had to sit down until they passed.
    We arrived at the hospital ER at 12:15am. A nurse wheeled me upstairs to labor and delivery. Once there, we realized I was the only patient there! A nurse checked me and I was already 4, almost 5cm dilated. She moved us into the birthing suite and got my IV ready. I was given two bags of saline while we waited for the doctor. It was originally supposed to be just one bag, but keith thought the doctor wanted to wait for a bit so they gave me a second bag, which they ran very slowly through. He may or may not have been right! Time gets fuzzy here, but I think it was around 2am that the dr came, broke my water, said I was 5cm, and I could have an epidural. The pain of the contractions was still not bad at all and I was able to talk through them. I didn’t have Pitocin and was surprised at how easy contractions are without it. With my other two labors I was given pit right away and the contractions were awful.
    Getting the epidural was HORRIBLE. My left side was not numbing and the anesthetist told me he had use three times the normal amount of numbing agent. Everytime he tried to put the needle in, I felt the worst pain shoot down my left side. At one point, I almost yelled “just forget the epidural!” Once it was in though, I felt fine. My blood pressure started to drop as did baby’s heartrate so I was given oxygen, which helped both. In the meantime, Kessin and Rowyn were wide awake, running around the waiting room with my aunt and sister Kylie. Keith and my mom stayed with me, taking turns checking on the kids.
    At about 5am, I was fully dilated and told I could start pushing. The problem was, my contractions had almost completely stopped. They were only coming 15-20 mins apart and I couldn’t feel anything when it was time to push. I pushed for about an hour and a half without much progress. I was given a small amount of pictocin to try to make them pick back up. Keith, my mom and I were all about falling asleep in between in each contraction! I remember laying there, legs spread in the stirrups, thinking, “I could fall asleep like this!” Finally, at around 6:30-ish, the nurse turned my epi almost all the way down. I could feel where to push! We just had to wait for another contraction. One push and he was crowning, but the OB was nowhere to be found! His cell phone was ringing busy and the nurse told me to hold the baby in. It was damn near impossible because he was trying to push himself out! After 5 minutes of this, the nurse moved her hand and out popped the baby! A minute later, the OB ran in. He was too late!
    At 6:55am, Ian Joseph Drake was born. He was laid on my stomach but then whisked over to the warmer to get checked out. He was given oxygen because he was blue, but pinked up right away. His poor face was covered in a huge bruise from being held in while we waited for the OB.
    Keith and my mom were both mad about the OB not being there and the nurse making me stop pushing. They heard the other nurse tell her not to deliver the baby yet because the OB likes to get credit for the delivery and he would be mad she didn’t wait. I was fine with everything because the baby was healthy. He is doing well and weighed in at 8lbs 6oz and 22in long, even with being nearly 2 weeks early! Keith was right on when he guessed the birth date! Ian had a lot of mucus in his stomach so he was grumbling quite a bit at first, but has stopped.
    He has a head full of reddish blonde hair and reminds me so much of Rowyn when she was born. Overall, the labor and delivery were very easy, even easier than my first two. I didn’t get any stitches or tears and was able to get up and walk around about 2 hours after birth.

    We were sent home with a bili-blanket because his jaundice level was just over 13 and it was still that yesterday. We will check it tomorrow morning. He looks like a little glowworm in it!

    Now some pics (I just realized that we didn't get any pics of DH and I with him!)

    8lbs 6oz 22in long

    Ian and I

    Daddy, Rowyn, and Ian

    Kessin, Rowyn, and Ian (they just adore him!)

    Ian laying on his bili-blanket, still looking jaundiced

  5. #5
    Posting Addict marymoonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Rehan's Birth Story ~ Shruti (alusmom)

    Rehan's Birth Story ~ Shruti (alusmom)

    Quote Originally Posted by alusmom View Post
    Went in for my OB appointment on Wednesday 02/23 at 9:30. She checked my cervix and I was 4 cm. She asked me to repeat the 24 hour urine test (SO not fun!). DH and I were walking over to the lab to pick up the can for the urine test. On our way over I felt a trickle. Rushed to the bathroom.....I wasn't sure if it was my water or just pee . Emptied my bladder and walked over to the lab. I felt more stuff trickle and told DH that something was weird. So we walked back to my OB. She checked and confirmed it was my water breaking. Somehow, I imagined water breaking to be the huge gush of water (thats what they show in the movies anyway lol). So DH and I rushed home, I ate a quick lunch and we drove over to the hospital. Got there by noon. They waited for my contractions to pick up, but since it wasn't progressing, they decided to put me on some pitocin at 4PM to prevent infection since my water had already broken. The contractions started getting intense and I took the epidural at 7 PM. I was 7 cm at 8 PM and fully dilated at 10:45 PM. I started pushing at 10:55.....4 pushes and 10 minutes later, I had my beautiful boy.....Rehan Jay was born at 11:05 PM....8 Lbs and 21 inches in height. He latched immediately and nursing has been wonderful! It is so much easier the second time around .
    Got back home today and am enjoying my little baby. Thank you all for the ELVs.....sure did help
    Goin off to catch up on all your posts now ......

  6. #6
    Posting Addict marymoonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Jasper's Birth Story ~ Lizi (lilybet)

    Jasper's Birth Story ~ Lizi (lilybet)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lilybet View Post
    Hey ladies - I've not been able to log in for weeks for some unknown reason so you're all a bit out of the loop on us.

    My SPD and hip complications got so bad after hitting 30 weeks that I ended up first on crutches then, when I couldn't even get around my own home on those because of the pain, I was in a wheelchair; my midwife finally referred me to a consultant (telling me that mine was the worst case of SPD she'd seen in over 30 years in the job) and the consultant said she wouldn't let me birth naturally because of the damage it could do to my pelvis (I had months of physio after Roman to repair the damage his birth had done and my aunt broke her pelvis birthing naturally with the same condition I have) so I was booked for a c-section on Valentines day, at 37+5.

    I was taken into hospital the week before to be monitered and given higher levels of pain relief and to get rest before the baby arrived as I'd been unable to sleep with the pain for weeks and was slowly losing the plot! That few days in hospital was absolute heaven - I was given a private room on the labour ward and because I'm friends with so many of the midwives, from my role running the local community breastfeeding support group, they were popping in and out all the time for chats and reassurance and Alex and Roman visited twice a day, it was just lovely.

    On Monday 14th (Valentines baby, hurrah!) Alex arrived nice and early and I was gowned up and shaved ( ) ready for the big op and then at around lunchtime we were wheeled through to theatre and set up all ready. 45 minutes later the surgeon arrived !!! (it was shift change just after the op was due to start and the one who was there when I went into the theatre didn't want to start the op because she wanted her lunch break and the one who was outside the room argueing with her didn't want to start his shift early just so she could get a sandwich - that was the gist of what we heard through the doors!) in the end they bickered so long that she went for her break because his shift had started and once he was in the room he was hugely professional and I don't think he realised we'd been able to hear them - but the nurses in the theatre were most unimpressed!

    The c-section was really straightforward - not at all what I expected and I was upset that they wouldn't let me watch, but Alex watched everything and gave me all the details afterwards - I won't say too much here in case some of you are squeemish or having your own section but it's a weird feeling, not at all painful in any way but odd, but it's so quick and efficient and baboom, there's your baby! People say it's like they're washing dishes in side you but it's not like that - Alex said that it was more like they were trying to dress a furious jaguar inside me and that's much more accurate! Baby was furious at the whole thing and kicking like crazy throughout! Also odd, they don't pull baby out the opening, they push from the top of your bump to get the head out then pull the shoulders - really weird feeling!

    At 13.36 baby Jasper Christopher David arrived weighing a very hefty 8lb12oz (not bad for a preterm!) and was shouting his head off right away. Alex got to go over to cut the cord and was almost immediately handed Jasper, and he brought him over and because he couldn't put him on my chest he pressed our faces together. What felt like seconds later I was stitched up and being wheeled back to my room with my baby in my arms, it was just amazing.

    Later that same day, once my anaesthetic had worn off, I stood up on my own, no crutches, and walked to the bathroom by myself. I hadn't been able to do that for well over a month. It was the best feeling ever, standing, walking, holding my baby. The best.

    I've tried to upload lots of pics but not many have worked but here's one of Jasper at a week old being scrumptious. He's very similar to Roman at the same age but there are so many differences. Being a Mummy to two is amazing and magical and so far nowhere near as hard as people kept telling me it was going to be. I am ridiculously happy, and healing really well. My hips are still sore and I'm going to need months of physio again and can't walk long distances because they still click and grind a bit - but compared to before it's great - and the c-section wound doesn't bother me at all now, less than two weeks later, and I'm completely painkiller free.

  7. #7
    Posting Addict marymoonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Cole's Birth Story ~ Renee (Fingers Crossed in FL)

    Cole's Birth Story ~ Renee (Fingers Crossed in FL)

    Cole Mason

    Thanks everyone for your well wishes! Here is the basic birth story and initial pics. I just weaned myself off the narcotics so for the first time today I don't feel I am living in a fog. Me? I am doing pretty good. I have been bleeding quite a fact when I was walking around the room a bit straightening up earlier this afternoon I looked down at the ground and saw a trail of 10-12 penny-size spots of blood on the floor. Oops...I am multitasking when I shouldn't be. I grabbed one of the hospital's absorbant sheets and mopped up right before DD and DH showed up to meet Cole and have dinner together. Nothing like freaking your older child out by leaving a trail of blood on the ground.

    So here is the birth story. I got about 1 1/2 hours of sleep the night before we went in for the delivery. Between my jitters and DH's snores a full night's sleep just wasn't meant to be. We left home on time at 4:30 AM and I convinced DH to drive to the hospital in our convertible with the top down. It was 74 degrees even at that early in the heaven! We checked into Labor & Delivery at 5:30 AM and got settled fairly quickly. The midwife confirmed Cole still was vertex (head down). He was kicking around quite a bit while we waited for the stream of nurses and doctors to flow past us. I had an IV inserted, two blood draws, a round of antibiotics, two bags of fluid, and anti-nausea medication and a ton of paperwork to sign before we made it into the OR. Of all things they had a class of med students in attendance for the delivery. A little intimidating but I was alright with it. In all there were 13 people in the operating room for the delivery, not including DH or myself. The spinal was relatively painless; the doctor did an awesome job. The only nervewrecking time for me was when they were pressing down on the top of my uterus, up by my sternum to help push Cole down and out. What a strange suffocating feeling that was!

    The doctor told DH to look over the fabric partition...I could hear them say look at the big head - we have a football player. Then he was being held up for me to see above the partition at 7:29 AM. He was blue-y at first but he quickly changed to a healthy pink as they began to clean him up. He received an Apgar of 9/9, weighed 8 lbs 6 oz, and measuring 21 inches in length. He came out screaming like a small baby jaguar but still had some fluid in his lungs that they had to suction out. (One of the bad things about having a baby via C is they don't get the fluid naturally squeezed out of their lungs that vaginal birth babies do.) They took a photo of the three of us together, let me see him for about 5 minutes, and then had DH follow to the nursery for more vitals, vitamin K shot, etc. They skipped the eye goo on him - yeah! While they were finishing up on me in the OR for 45 minutes, DH did kangaroo care with Cole and told me later that it was such an amazing bonding experience with his son. He-man bawling the whole time.

    I asked to see my placenta and cord because I didn't the first time. It was in great condition and no sign of aging at all. I could have gone another week or so but I am glad I pulled the plug when I did. My recovery was really smooth- no shakes like I had last time. My OB put in two pain killer tubes around my incision site so I am super comfortable. I also got medication to prevent adhesions and get to wear a belly binder right away. (It feels GREAT!!) The only complaint I have is a TON of itching which is aside effect of the anethesia. I am opting to not take any meds for it and hope it will pass on its own within today. I don't want anything to pass onto breast milk. Which brings me to latching - he is interested! Yeah! He has had four meconium poops so far but we are still waiting for a wet diaper. I don't think we will get one today as I just don't have any meconium or milk yet. Yet here I am breastfeeding on demand.

    Cole is a sweet tempered boy. If he gets cold or hungry he lets you know by starting a little goat-like cry with a quivering bottom lip. Too cute. I had DH google the bottom lip action for newborns and it said it is common for newborns to do when they have underdeveloped central nervous systems. So now I feel bad as he may have wanted to cook for another week? It is so hard to be a new mom and not beat yourself up for something or another, ya know?

    I am waiting for our pediatrician to show tomorrow AM. All indications show he is super healthy which I am so grateful for. One of my biggest concerns was that he would have some type of gene abnormality due to my superr old eggs. This isn't the case. He is a totally normal, healthy little boy. Without getting too holy roller on anyone I just want to say God is Great. We have been totally blessed.

    He has dark brown hair and slate gray eyes. I am hoping for brown hair and brown eyes but we shall see. We love him so much! If you have made it this far into our story, thanks!

  8. #8
    Posting Addict marymoonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Calvin's Birth Story ~ Mary (marymoonu)

    Calvin's Birth Story ~ Mary (marymoonu)

    Calvin Michael's Birth Story
    February 28th, 2011 - 7:39PM
    Weight: 6 Pounds 8.4 Ounces
    Length: 18 Inches
    Head circumference: 13.25 Inches

    L&D Nurses:

    PP Nurses:
    Linda (another one)

    Monday, February 28th, 2011 at 9am was my OB appointment for 37 weeks, 5 days. My blood pressure was great for the third week in a row after being high or borderline high at all of my prenatal appointments. The doctor had been talking about inducing at 37 weeks based on the BP's, but decided that it probably wasn't necessary afterall. He informed me that he would be out of town the following week and that we could induce before then if I wanted to, or wait for natural labor and potentially have one of the partners deliver the baby. That was all under the assumption that my fluid levels were still okay. We had been keeping an eye on them because they were borderline low. That day, he did an ultrasound himself and found the fluid was too low. Two of the four pockets of fluid were totally empty and one measured 3.8cm. The fourth he said technically should be considered empty also, but he might be able to count a small amount of fluid there. Regardless, it wasn't enough to put me into the "safe zone" because my fluid only measured 4cm, tops. They induce under 5. He told us we were going to be meeting our baby that day and to head to the hospital.

    I hadn't eaten anything yet that day and I knew they wouldn't let me eat, so we stopped at Chick-Fil-A for a breakfast sandwich. I didn't feel hungry, but needed my strength.
    Tom dropped me off at the hospital while he and Sean went home to gather some bags, do some last minute cleaning, and wait for the grandparents to come watch Sean.
    I went up to L&D and got checked in, then waited several grueling minutes alone in the waiting room until they were ready to take me to my room.

    By 11am, we were getting started. I had already changed into my gown and gotten into bed to be checked out on the monitor. They had to have a good tracing of the baby on the monitor before they could begin my induction. I was group B strep positive, and my first IV of clindamycin (antibiotic) was started for that at 11am. My cervix wasn't favorable. It was only 1-2cm and was still posterior and pretty thick, so we had to begin with cervical ripening. This was started at 11:15am. They used a foley catheter which was placed in my cervix and inflated, along with low level pictocin (started at 11:20am) to help things along. It made me feel crampy and I found it uncomfortable because part of it hung outside of my body. I couldn't wait to be done with it because it made going to the bathroom difficult.

    Then night before, I had been awake all night with nausea and that morning I had battled diarrhea multiple times. When they offered me phenergan for nausea, I jumped on it because I wanted to feel as good as possible for the delivery and the upset stomach was miserable. At this point, my belly was feeling pretty crampy from the foley.

    At 2:30pm, the foley finally came out and I was overjoyed to be done with it. My cervix was 3-4cm, but baby was still high at -2 station. The nurse went to find out whether the doctor wanted to crank the pitocin, break my water, or both. The doctor decided on both. The midwife who was working at the hospital that day came to break my water. I had met her before in the midst of all my NST's and she was nice. At 3pm, my water was broken. It was horribly painful because my cervix was still so high and a bit posterior. I had to really breathe through the pain.

    After my water was broken, the contractions became a lot more intense. I was still handling them really well and was able to tell Tom exactly what I needed. He helped by rubbing my back and applying pressure to my tailbone region. Although I was doing really well with the labor, I got scared and finally asked for the epidural.

    At 5pm, nurse anesthetist Joe came to place the epidural. He and nurse Donna were really awesome during this time. The contractions were pretty intense and I was breathing through them. They both told me repeatedly how great I was doing. I really was doing well and I questioned why I was even getting the epidural, but I was just scared of the pain.
    At 5:30pm, I was 5cm dilated and 80% effaced. My blood pressures started to really dip. They got as low as 80's/40's. It scared me, but I felt fine throughout. Nurse Donna and nurse anesthetist Joe were keeping an eye on me. This epidural was way different than the one with Sean. I wasn't in pain at all, but I could still feel contractions and other sensations like touch. With Sean, I was so numb I couldn't feel anything at all and couldn't move my legs at all. This time, I could still move my legs somewhat.

    At 6:20pm, I was still 5cm and baby's heart began decelerating. I was scared at this point. Scared for the safety of the baby and scared that I would need a c-section.
    His heart rate decelerated every time I had a contraction. The weird part is, mine did too.
    Our heart rates were really mimicking each other. The baby and I were one for that moment, for just one last time.

    The nurse told me that the reason for the heart decelerations could be that the baby was decending and his head was being compressed by the birth canal. She checked me again at 6:40pm and I had progressed to 6cm and 90% effaced. I was happy to see some progress and also happy that the nurse gave me a possible non-scary explanation for the heart decelerations.

    At 7:15pm, I had progressed to 10cm and +1 station. The nurse didn't expect me to move that fast and called Dr. K. She said he gave an overly dramatic "OH NOOOO!" on the phone, afraid he would miss the birth because he likes to be called at 7cm. It took him 10 or 15 minutes to get there, and he rushed in talking about all the traffic violations he made on the way there. I found it very humorous because I just figured he was used to that sort of thing happening, but he was all flustered. Nurse Angela later told me that after the birth, he told her all about how he had such a bad day and I started it all that morning with my low fluid, haha!

    As soon as he was ready, I was told I could push with the next contraction. I pushed twice through that contraction and the baby moved down pretty far, so they told me. I couldn't see anything in the mirror yet. I was told to try to push four times through the next contraction. I made it through about three and a half pushes before I tuckered out. But the baby's head had crowned and was almost all the way out. It was apparent that we were going to have a baby with the next contraction. But of course the next contraction took FOREVER to come! We waited and waited, and then finally it began! I pushed twice and we had a baby!

    Calvin Michael was placed immediately on my chest at 7:39pm on February 28th, 2011.
    I had always remembered being in a totally different world when Sean was born because I pushed for longer, bled a lot, and was just exhausted. I have trouble remembering his first cry, so I wanted to savor this one. Calvin came out looking purple. I knew it was normal until he started crying, but it still made me nervous. It was no time before he started to cry and I just held him and took it all in. I laughed because as soon as he was on my chest, he started peeing on me! The nurse came to me and asked if she could take Calvin to be weighed, measured, and assessed. I thought it seemed quick in comparison to my delivery with Sean, where I got to hold him for a long time before he was taken away. The nurse told me they normally leave baby with mom while the doctor finishes up, but that I hadn't torn a bit, so he had nothing else to do. No stitches! I was overjoyed and in disbelief at the time to have no tears, but I'm even happier about it now because my recovery has been SO much easier. She took Calvin to the warmer for his assessment and Tom went with her to watch and take pictures. I watched from my bed and fell in love. I couldn't believe how tiny he was.

    I loved the actual delivery because it just felt so low-key and casual. There were only three people in the room other than me, Tom, and Calvin. Dr. K., nurse Donna, and nurse Angela were the only other people there. It just felt so calm, quiet, laid-back. It was perfect for me. I almost didn't even have nurse Donna there. She was actually supposed to be off for the day at 7pm, but I think they were short-staffed due to a call-off and she stayed extra for the birth. I appreciated her staying because I'd had her as my nurse all day and felt comfortable with her.

    Once everyone had cleared the room and we were doing well, it was just the three of us and nurse Angela in there. She told me that if Calvin started acting hungry, to let her know because she'd help me get him to nurse. I had told her about the latching problems with Sean, and so I was nervous for a repeat. To my surprise, he latched on immediately with no problem and we've been going strong ever since. The nurses in the post-partum department were amazed by what a good nurser he was. He wanted to eat every hour, but that was fine with me. I just wanted to nurture my baby the way my body was made to do! I'm so overjoyed to have this experience this time after pumping for so long for Sean.
    I would do it again in a heartbeat to feed my baby the food that is best for him, but I love the additional bonding time that I get. It's something special for just the two of us!

    Tom and the nurses kept asking when I wanted to invite the rest of the family in. I hesitated to do it and kept putting it off. I loved the bonding time with just the three of us. It was perfect and I wasn't in a hurry to end it. Sometime around 9pm, we finally asked the rest of the family to come in. My parents were the only ones there at the moment because Tom's parents were watching Sean at our house. My mom and dad were in love and amazed by how tiny Calvin was compared to Sean. Tom had thought his mom was in the waiting room also because he hadn't heard her say earlier that she was leaving to go be with Sean. So at this point, his parents didn't even know he was born yet.
    Finally my parents left to come stay with Sean so that Tom's parents could come meet the new baby. His mom had already left for the hospital, so Tom's dad was alone with Sean.
    When my parents got to my house, my mom stayed with Sean and my dad came back to the hospital with Tom's dad. I was surprised and happy to see my dad show up at the door again with Tom's dad. His face was happy just like a kid at Christmas!

    I am so in love! Sean has been curious and excited about the new baby, and I can't wait to watch their relationship grow!

    With Mommy:

    With Daddy:

    DH says it looks like he's kissing his biceps, LOL:

    Meeting his big brother for the first time:
    Last edited by marymoonu; 03-09-2011 at 09:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Posting Addict marymoonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Charlotte's Birth Story ~ Laurie (led082607)

    Charlotte's Birth Story ~ Laurie (led082607)

    Charlotte Jean
    March 3, 2011
    9lbs 9oz
    20 inches

    I was laying in bed asleep when I was awoken by a popping sound at 2:30am. It was a familiar sound. I was sure my water just broke, but nothing was coming out. I stood up and still nothing happened, so I figured it was just the baby moving. I started walking to the bathroom and that’s when I felt the gush. I was now certain that my water had broken. I woke Tyler up and we started calling people. I called my mom and my sister. He called his mom. I knew my midwife was on vacation this week, so I called the answering service and was told who was on call. It was a new doctor and I had never heard of her before. She called me back shortly after. She had a thick German accent, and to be honest, it scared me from the beginning. She just sounded like she was going to do things differently than I wanted. I wanted a drug-free/intervention-free birth just like my other two. I wanted my body to do what it was supposed to do and progress on its own without being pushed or pressured to do anything. She recommended that I head to the hospital because with this being my third, she thought things would progress quickly and the baby would come faster than my other two.

    I ended up taking a shower since contractions hadn’t picked up much yet. I paced around the house for a bit making sure everything was all set. Tyler’s father ended up coming over to watch the kids, who were still in bed, and we left for the hospital around 4:30am. When we got to the hospital and were being checked in and brought to my room, I was asked what kind of labor I was looking for. I told the nurse and she warned me that the on call dr did things differently and was very strict. She likes her patients to labor in bed only and not get up. She also doesn’t like her patients drinking anything at all, which included water and ice chips. I almost started crying. I didn’t want my birth to be ruined by a dr with different beliefs than me. I was then told that the shift change was coming up in about 3 hours and this dr would be leaving and a midwife would be coming in. It just so happens that this was the midwife that delivered Madelyn. I really liked her a lot, so I was really relieved. I only had to make it through 3 hours with the dr before Lucy, the midwife, would be in. I knew I could do it!

    Things were progressing slowly. I thought for sure that with this being my third child and being so close to my last, that labor would pick up quickly. I was wrong. Things were so slow. Contractions where not regular and they were very mild. I tried to get some sleep, which was hard. Then it was time for the shift change and Lucy came in! I was very excited and she was excited that she got to deliver another one of my babies since that rarely happens for her. My parents got there shortly after.
    Hours went by. I was stuck at 4cm for what seemed like forever. I was getting frustrated and upset. I started getting emotional and crying because I was so anxious to begin with and it just seemed like all this time, so much was building up and I didn’t know what to do. I sat on the birth ball, I stood up, I laid down and tried to get some sleep, I sat up in bed. I didn’t really do a ton of walking because I was tied to my bed for the first three hours and I was just so tired at that point. There isn’t a whole lot of area to walk around here since it’s a small hospital, but I walked around my room as much as I could.
    My water continued leaking , but the baby’s head was sealing part of the amniotic sac so Lucy decided to break that bit of water. I had a lot more amniotic fluid leaking out and I thought for sure that things would pick up, but they were still slow. Still stuck at 4cm. I was STARVING. They told me that I couldn’t eat anything, but I could drink anything I wanted or have a popsicle. I hadn’t eaten since dinner the night before and my stomach was grumbling so much. I felt like my hunger pangs were competing with my contractions!

    Finally, things started to pick up and I was progressing. I knew at this point, it wouldn’t be long before my least favorite part, the pushing stage. I was at about 8cm-9cm when my sister came to visit. I told her that she could stay while I delivered the baby If she wanted. This was the first time that she would watch me deliver a baby. My mother, mother-in-law and Tyler were all there for the birth as well, just as they had been for my other two. I started getting emotional again and crying. Just the anticipation of having another baby and everything I had gone through during the day.

    I started to feel really pushy. I knew it wasn’t going to be long. I was asked if it was ok if some of the student nurses watched the delivery. At that point, I didn’t care. When it was time to start pushing, I think there were somewhere around 10 or 11 people in the hospital room watching. I can honestly say it didn’t bother me one bit. I was in my own world. I was ready to push. I started pushing, but I didn’t feel right. I didn’t feel like she was ready, even though I was feeling the urge to push very strongly. I pushed a few times, but then stopped and let my body move the baby down on its own. I had to really focus and breathe through these contractions because I really felt like I needed to push, but I wanted to let her move down on her own a bit. Finally, I felt ready and started to push. Charlotte’s head was out within 1-2 pushes. After her head was out, Lucy told me to push slowly because Charlotte’s shoulders were stuck. The next thing I knew, I was laying flat on the bed and nurses were holding up my legs and pushing on my stomach to get the baby out. Lucy’s hands felt like they were up in my vagina trying to get the baby out. It was such intense pain. It was scary, but she finally came out in another couple of pushes. She was turning blue and not crying, so they put her on my chest for only a minute before taking her to the warmer. She was only at the warmer for a couple of minutes before she started crying and turning pink, so they brought her back over to me. She was perfect! Nothing was wrong with her; she just got a little stuck because of her size.

    After she was born, I held her for a while. She nursed great from the start and has been since. When I was finally ready to get up and walk around and shower, one of the nurses wanted to feel my uterus first and check my bleeding. When she pushed on my uterus, a lot of blood came out. She was pushing and kneading on my uterus so hard and it was excruciating. I wanted to cry. They called Lucy back in and Lucy literally shoved her entire hand up my uterus and started pulling out blood clots. She told me that they were worried about post-partum hemorrhaging. She then told me about these pills that help stop the bleeding and help firm up the uterus. The only thing is that these pills need to be inserted up the rectum. There were five pills and she described having to put them in like a roll of Sweet Tarts. Just lovely. That was super painful as well. After that, I had nurses constantly poking and prodding and squeezing my uterus. It was so painful, but finally my uterus started to cooperate and firmed up and the bleeding lessened.
    Since then, everything has been fine. This was my longest labor, which lasted 13 hours. I know it could be a lot worse, but I was hoping It would be shorter than my other two! Tyler brought the kids to visit last night. Parker was so excited to finally meet Charlotte. He kept asking questions about her and wanting to hold her and touch her. It was cute. Madelyn was interested, but really didn’t know what was going on. Charlotte is doing great and they are releasing us today. We need to wait until she is 24 hours old to get another test and we should be able to leave. I can’t wait. I’m a little sad because there were so many people here visiting yesterday when I was in labor, but no visitors yet today. People have to work, Tyler’s at home with the kids. It’s just a little sad. I’ll be home soon though. I can’t wait.

    Now to share some pictures.

    Trying the birth ball

    Brand new!

    Back to mommy

    Parker meeting his sister for the first time. He loves her so much already!

    My beautiful baby girl

  10. #10
    Volunteer Community Host Allie01979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Ontario, Canada

    Default William's Birthstory ~Allie01979~

    William's Birthstory

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie01979 View Post
    William Brian
    February 25, 2011 @ 12:15am
    6lbs 15ozs

    I'm just getting a chance now to get on here, we got home from the hospital today and it's been a whirwind of guests and a sick toddler. Bill is holding the newbie and i'm holding a beer WOOT.

    So as you all know, I had my weekly NST/BPP/blood draw on Thursday. Well of course I waited a good 6 hours and the OB checked me and said I was super soft and 2cms, very favourable for induction, she gave me the choice to have the baby Thursday or come back next week, I was going to say lets go for next week, but the OB also mentioned that because the tests went so well she didn't want to tempt fate and have something go wrong in the next week which she had seen before, so I made the decision to say ok, lets go for it. At my BPP the baby was estimated at 7lbs 7ozs, I know they can be off but I felt he was a good size and wasn't concerned about a too small baby. I called Bill and asked him if he was ready to have a baby, the smart a$$ said only if we could get the hockey game in the labour room, so I agreed (I love me some hockey).

    Bill ran a few errands and I got the cervadil (sp?) put in. The cramping started pretty early, they monitored me for an hour and them I was set free to walk on the labour. The cervadil was pretty bad I have to say, I wasn't expecting it but the cramping and pressure on the cervix was almost unbearable, I asked about an Epi and was told I wasn't even in labour yet. So I got in the jacuzzi tub and fell asleep for 2 hours, Bill came in between periods (yes we got the hockey game lol) and refilled the tub for me. around 11:30 they got me out of the tub to check me and said I was at a 3-4 and decided to break my water to get things started (STARTED????) that's when it all went fast, as soon as she broke my water the contractions started big time, I cried for the epi, thank goodness the epi god was in surgery and couldn't get there for a while. The contractions were crazy, one on top of the other, I tried to keep my tones low but as I progressed I could feel my tones get higher pitched and less controlled. My secondary midwife was there and excellent at keeping me grounded. My body started pushing and I was told to stop, (suuure, tell my body that) they checked me and I was at an 8, this is about 35 minutes after my water broke. The anesthesiologist got there and they checked me again and said I was full and ready to push, they said if I still wanted it I could, I said no, get this kid out, my body was involuntarily pushing and I could feel him dropping into the birth canal. A few good pushes and he was out. So 45 minutes of actual labour although I had quite a few hours of pain.

    He was super waxy and super perfect, his apgars were 8/9 as he was a bit floppy at birth and required a little bit of oxygen, but nursed like a champ right from the get go. Bill and I agreed on William (after Bill of course, or as my mom jokes, Prince William lol) and Brian after my mom's DH who has been an amazing grandfather to Aidan and put up with my teenage BS when I was younger lol) I'm still getting used to his name as we know it wasn't my first choice, but I know before long I won't be able to imagine him as anything but a William.

    Bill and I were talking today and he informed me that my midwife was the one who stalled the epi for me, I'm so so so happy she did, I have to tell you that the recovery is night and day between an epi birth and a non epi birth, I didn't tear in either and this one I was up and walking around right away, I feel great, With Aidan I had so many issues with my knees and girlie bits from the long pushing phase. It hurt like hell but I couldn't be happier with how it turned out in the end. I didn't get my home water birth, but I did, at least get the drug free aspect of it that I wanted. Of course the staff was, as always, absolutely amazing. The nurse that was there to assist in Aidan's delivery was there for the first part of Williams before the shift change as well as an old high school aquaintance, it was so nice to have them there.

    So without further ado, here he is, William Brian, The pics are big as I'm only cutting and pasting from FB

    (Oh and I'm screwed tonight as I haven't been able to keep the boy awake for any significant amount of time since 2pm, it's now 10pm, at least I've been able to get him to nurse YIKES)

    waxy boy

    meeting mommy from the outside

    meeting his big sister and brother

    peanut with cheeks

    WOOT a dimple

    OK off to finish my beer and get to bed in time for the boy to wake up and start a good cluster feed for the night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions