March 2010 birthdates and birth stories.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043
March 2010 birthdates and birth stories.


22 Kyle Thomas (33w) -- born at 6:48/ 5lb 1oz/ 17.75 inches to mummytobesoon/vy
25 Jake Walker (32w) -- born at 6:36 am to I'm_a_peper/Kim
29 Abigail "Abby" Jaicee (35w) born at 3lbs 5 oz/ 16.5 inches to MommytoAJ2 / Angie
30 Jacob (34w1d) -- born at 10:58 pm / 5lbs 7 oz to momemle/Emily
30 Elise (34w1d) -- born at 11:23 pm / 5lbs 2 oz to momemle/Emily
30 Weston James (34w6d) -- born at 5:19pm/ 4lbs 7oz/ 17 inches to Palmetto Mom/Jamie


8 Laydon (34w2d) -- born at 11:24am/3 lbs 7 oz/14.75 inches to hopefulT/Tamika
8 London (34w2ds) -- born at 11:24am/4 lbs 13 oz/16 inches to hopefulT/Tamika
8 Christopher "Cohen" (37w) -- born at 4:37pm/6lb 4oz/19inches to MommyCB/Charys
10 Samantha Dael Veenstra (36w5d) -- born at 10:54 am to MamaFuture/Jolene
15 Claire Juliet (37w5d) -- born at 8:51pm/5lbs 14oz/19 inches to Jocelyn29/Jocelyn
16 AnnaBella Marie (38w1D) -- born at 6:52am/6lbs 13oz/19 inches to KimMomof2/Kim
16 Mary Skye (37w6d) -- born at 6:00pm/7lbs 7oz/20 inches to Graceless/Liz
18 Gabriel Alex (37w) -- born at 1:16pm/7lbs8.5oz/20inches to Mommy2ndTime/Adria
19 [COLOR=Magenta]Marianne Frances[/COLOR] (40w) -- born at 8:16am/8lbs 15oz/20 inches to lmh101979/Lindsay
20 Cooper Nicholas (38w5d) -- born at 3:38 pm/7lbs7.8oz/21 inches to Jillie Bean/Jill
20 Aidan Joseph (38w3d) -- born at 6lbs 9oz/18 inches to Sweetart32/Tiff
21 Owen Michael (36w) -- born at 9:14am/6lbs 8oz/19 inches to JDBabyHopes/Jen
24 Brandon Evan (39w1d) -- born at 3:52 pm/8lbs 4oz/20.25inches to TaylorAna/Taylor
24 Brady Joseph (38w) -- born at 8:46pm/6lbs/18inches to 1st-time-mom/Erin
24 Brody Charles (38w) -- born at 8:47/6lbs 3oz/19inches to 1st-time-mom/Erin
26 Cody Dennis (39w 4d) -- born at 9:38am/9lbs 11oz/20inches to thrashej/Janice


1 Clara Lena (40w3d) -- born at 5:02am/7lbs 15oz/20inches to CanadianaSally/Sally
1 Bailey Scott (38w3d)-- born at 2:51am/6lbs 7 oz/19.3inches to palagi-fob/Leah
1 Emily Grace (38w) -- born at 5:54 pm/8lbs .5oz/21inches to rennea
2 Jamyson Randall (40w) -- born at 11:32 am / 8lbs 2 oz/19.5 inches to Cassiee93/Cassie
2 Anasia Jean (35w35d) -- born at 6:37pm/7lbs 11oz to kara1110/Kara
2 Kiernan Gray (39) -- born at 12:58 pm/8lbs 4oz/20.25 inches to Smashcc/Searcy
3 Gavin Thomas (39w3d) --born at 9:48pm/6lbs 13oz/20inches to whitney1/Whitney
3 Callie Mae (39w) -- born at 2:57 pm/8lbs 1oz/ 20.5 inches to Jen78/Jen
4 Brooklyn Rose (36w4d) -- born at 10:27pm/6lbs 15oz/20 inches to NYButterfly3.5/Alaina
4 Dylan Christopher(36w4d) -- born at 10:29pm/6lbs 5oz/19 inches to NYButterfly3.5/Alaina
5 Marley Jane (39w 1d) -- born at 3:02 pm/7lbs 2oz/19inches to B'smom/Jenny
6 Teio Tiatia Edward (39w5d) -- born at 1:47 am/7lbs 10oz/19 inches to MrsMangoBabe/Brittany
6 Ryan Jameson (38w1d) -- born at 6:35pm/6lbs 2.2oz/19.2 inches to cheryl929/Cheryl
8 Rowynn Cordelia (39w3d) -- born at 7:25am/7lbs 7oz/19.25 inches to irishgirl/Ann-Marie
8 Tristan Erich William (39w1d) -- born at 5:31 pm/7lbs 9oz/20.5 inches to Pryncesstini/Martina
8 Dean Edward (39w5d) -- born at 5:03/6lbs 1oz/19 inches to prattmommy/Charity
8 Travis Jackson -- born at 12:26pm/9lbs/20.5 inches to jackinola/Jackie
9 Emma Siku Angela (38w1d) -- born at 10:47am/6lbs 15.5oz/19inches to amanda_83/Amanda
9 Gustavo Anthony (39w) -- born at 11:03 am/7lbs 7oz/19.25 inches to AKmama/Mary
9 Calista Jeannie (39w) -- born at 5:55 pm/7lbs 3oz/ 20.25inches to lincs mom/Kelly
10 Delia Key (38w6d) -- born at 12:15/8lbs 8oz/19in to Babylurv/Chailynn
10 Harper Lee (40w6d) -- born at 2:19pm/7lbs 4oz/20.25inches to DrakesMommy/Sarah
11 Shelby Jacklyn (39w1d) -- born at 1:40am/7lbs 14oz/20.5 inches to emfritz00/Erin
11 Logan Roy (39w5d) -- born at 4:12 am/7lbs 14oz/19.7inches to ~KiwiMama~/Amber
11 Ruby Marie (37w 4d) -- born at 2:10 pm/6lbs 7oz/19 inches to mom2ct-furbaby/Shelley
15 Ava Allison (39w1d) -- born at 1:06pm/7lbs 9oz/19.5inches to Bcalkins/Brittany
15 Landon Jay (40w5d) -- born at 7:19pm/6lbs 13oz/19.75 inches to dentalsquared/Shannon
16 Jackson Drew (39w3d) -- born at 5:25am/7lbs 6oz/21 inches to Ladybugsteph/Stephanie
17 Chloe Grace (39w1d) -- born at 12:08 pm/6lbs 4oz/21.25inches to TeraBKnits/Tera
17 Gabrielle Francesca (40w2d) -- born at 12:05am/6lbs 12oz/20.5inches to susanjpt/Susan
18 Elliot James -- born at 11:35 am/8lbs 2oz/20.5inches to stuntmonkey/Jamie
19 Bram Edward Leonard Otesanek -- born at 8lbs 1 oz to dehlia/Karen
19 Adan David (39w) -- born at 7:30am/8lbs 11oz/21 inches to AdamsMomAgain/Melissa
19 Hudson Slade (39w6d)-- born at 7:25 am/9lbs 4oz/22inch3es to twinsplusone/Kelli
21 Michael Bentley ( ) -- born at 10:49 am/7lbs 5oz/19.5inches to Sarah210/Sarah
23 Ava Grace (41w2d) -- born at 6:00pm/8lbs 13oz/21.5inches to lablover1/Tori
23 Hallie June -- born at 4:33am/6 lbs 15 oz/19.75 inches to shygirl1977/Shyla
23 Zaiden Ryan Wesley (41w2d) -- born at 1:57 am/8lbs 4oz/20in born to HopefullySoon/Vicky
25 Nathaniel John -- born at 6:31/10lbs 1oz/21inches to SM1day/Shelia
29 Noah Nikolas (41w1d) -- born at 8:35pm/9lbs 5oz/22.5inches to Nickerbocker2/Nicole
31 Halloway Page Wilde -- born at 7:35pm/7.5lbs/19.5inches to kilahmaree/Kilah


1 Gage -- born at 8lbs 7oz/20inches to boysmom/Andi

March 2010 Siblings!

11/(18 or 19?) Marshall baby brother to Zaiden -- HopefullySoon/Vicki


Kilah -- due Aug 26th
irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Due March 12th
Born Jan 22nd at 648pm (33 weeks 0days)
5lbs 1oz
Length 17 3/4"
6hrs (roughly) labor

Story: (long)
Thursday night I noticed A LOT less movement from Kyle during the day that day- I mentioned it to Jeff and told him if I dont feel more tomorrow (Friday the 22nd), I was gonna call the doc.
Friday comes- feeling pretty good. Meet Jeff for lunch with Autumn. Enjoy a good lunch, Feeling crampy, but good. After Lunch I mention to jeff that the cramps were getting worse (about 130). I still hadnt felt much movement so I was gonna call the doc and see what she had to say. Called doc from my moms house, and she reccomended I go to Olds (the hospital in the small town I wanted to deliver in- NO NICU). and get a NST done. After waitng AN HOUR in the waiting room because they were too busy to hook me up to the monitor, I finally get in. The cramps are starting to shape somewhat of a pattern, but from my last labor, this was no where NEAR what it felt like. (think bad period cramps this time= vs SEVERE cripple you over pains last time). On the monitor, he wasnt moving much (which I was right about), but I was having A LOT of contractions. From 1 minute to 5 minutes appart, varying greatly. My sister was with me and got quite the kick out of being able to see when the contractions were comming, it was cute. They said they wanted to doc to come in and check me because they were getting concerned. My sister then texts Jeff and tells him he needs to come to the hospital in Olds.

They move me to the Labor and delivery room in Olds. My doctor shows up, completly out of breath, worried, and with my chart in hand. Jeff shows up. The staff at the hospital are slowly getting things set up for Kyle. I have VERY quick labors- 5hrs 2 minutes start to finish with my daughter. They dont want me delivering in Olds because he wasnt moving much and there could be things wrong requireing more care then Olds can provide. Doctor Onsongo checks me, she goes- "Violet, your a 6". I let out an "OH SH!T!". Theres no going back from a 6! I didnt even think they were real contractions let alone getting me from 2cm last week to 6cm!

Now things start moving FAST so details are a tad bit sketchy! Doctor Onsongo rushes to call Red Deer (the city to deliver at with a "Neonatal Special Care Unit"- same as ICU). She also arranges for an ambulance and another doctor to make the trip with me (45minutes by ambulance!!). They refuse to transfer me without the doctor because if I do deliver and he is premie a doc is better then a paramedic (agreed!). I also have to be checked, any further then 8cm at time of transfer its a no go- baby would be delivered in Olds and then flown to the city.
I call my mom at work and tell her to be here (Olds) 5 minutes ago Im at 6cm.
They load me up on Antibiotics since I never got the strep B testing. I also got ANOTHER shot of steroids for his lungs.
I then send my sister to walmart to grab me some disposable cameras! I didnt know I was in labor let alone have my camera or ANYTHING else with me!
She comes back, and gives Jeff the cameras. about 5 minutes later, paramedics and the other doctor show up! YAY!!
Get checked. Im at 6 still. even better safe to transfer!
I tell my sister to please wait for my mom (who doesnt have a cell phone) and when she gets here (Olds) tell her Ive been transfered and that she needs to get to Red Deer ASAP.
They transfer me to the stretcher, and OFF WE GO! Into the back of the ambulance. (Can I just add it is the creapiest feeling going from normal height to being lifted to transfer height!). Into the Ambulance, I warn them Im a very motion sick person and TO PLEASE give me something for nausia. I get gravol. It was so neat watching the cars behind us, the sirens and lights going... (it was after dark so I could see the reflections off the back doors)
About half way there, the contractions are now becommign REALLY painful, very intense, very hard to tollorate. Nothing is worse then getting a contraction AND HITTING BUMPS... EXCEPT FOR when we got into Red Deer and there were a few turns to make into the hospital. The quick slow down and then quick acceleration were almost to much to handle. The whole ride, Im on my side trying to find some comfort from the contractions I was having every 2 minutes appart.
Get into the L&D room in Red Deer and its HOT. They cranked the heat for the premie baby not expected to be able to control his body temp. get checked- Im at 8 and they break my buldging bag of water!
Meet ob doctor, my nurse- Patty, Pediatrition, and Ryan- a paramedic in training. (later find out he would rather learn in a safe and controlled enviroment then in the back of an ambulance, thus volunteering).
Everyone was fantastic! they explained to me how everything was gonna be set up for baby, how there was gonna be lots of people in the room etc etc. Ryan was exceptional at helping me remember to breath and try to focus. Jeff was outstanding, did anything I asked him to do and tried his best to comfort me.
My mom shows up about 30 minutes after I got to red deer (she showed up at 530pm). That was amazing. My mom KNOWS how to get me to focus, relax, ect ect. Tricks you only learn after 21 years of raising your child.
The contractions are INTENSE! I ask for an epidural (which I didnt really want, but at the time I just needed the pain to stop!), they tell me the anesthesiologist is in OR but theyd place an order. They asked me if Id like some Fentenol (SP?) to help. I greatfully accepted!
Well- I never got my Epidural! (heindsight Im glad!)
All of a sudden I got THRISTY. But I was nautious also, so I asked for some Ice. I could NOT keep laboring without something moistening my mouth- however, it did make me vomit.


I have to puke, but I am in so much pain I am trying to find ANY WAY to be comfortable. They checked me again. I had just a small lip. I get onto my hands and knees! SOME RELIEF YAY!!! But here I go pukin into the bed pan thingy they give you to puke in.... Well as Im sure all of you know, NOT pushing, goes right out the window with the force! So Im pukin, pushing, and leaking water all over the place!

They are getting really worried I was going to deliver in that position, they tell me I can push, but I need to get onto my back. OK, thats fine! but someone PLEASE wipe off my legs (they were so sticky and grose between having my water broken, the vomiting and squirting, it was really nasty!). I roll onto my back and I NEED TO PUSH NOW!!!!!!!! theres NO stopping this!

They quickly ask if its okay for Ryan to deliver with Obs help- SURE! I had an intern deliver unassisted with my daughter without choice, I have no problem with students that are being assisted by a doc!

I push, and half his head comes out. I quite litterally feel like Im about to push my butt out my butt hole! and Im yelling this to the staff. As I feel the first push let up, I DID NOT want to stop, so I was RIGHT on top of it immediately. And pushed a 2nd time. Out came his head. "STOP PUSHING" I hear through the middle of the 3rd push. It took all that I had but I managed to stop for a couple of seconds MAX. All I kept thinking was "If you dont stop, your going to split in 2 violet!".
Then I HAVE to push again, no more holding back! and BOOM out he came!

A beautiful little boy. They kept trying to get me to look at him- I couldnt, I was so scared something was wrong, but I am reassured now by everyone he was fine. I still couldnt get myself to do it at the time.

They hurried him to the warmer to be checked on etc etc fully expecting to have to intubate etc etc givin he was so premature.

They didnt have to! He is on room air. Breathing a little fast (68RPM they want 60 or fewer). He is maintaining his body temp beautifully. as soon as he slows his breathing down to the 60 or less, theyll try introducing whatever I can pump to him. I will also be allowed to try an nurse. I dont think hes going to have trouble with that! He roots like a champ! opens wide! I think itll be just fine They tried 15 times to get an IV in, and had to shave his head a bit (which is COVERED in hair btw! maybe there is truth to the myth of heartburn / acid refulx and hair), and then caved and did an Umbilical Line. Heres hopeing we can be rid of that dreadful thing soon! His cord was cut waay too short to support something such as this, but when its your only option, you go for it. Pediatrition is pretty sure my dates were off- maybe by one or two weeks.
They say we can bring him home as soon as he is a competant feeder. Could be a few days to a few weeks. So far, looking like maybe 2 week stay max as long as there are no complications.
I am discharged and at home- let me tell you, the worst feeling in the world is leaving your baby in the hospital.
I stoped at walmart to develop the 2 cameras we filled up.... 8 photos turned out! all of which were me in Labor and NONE of the delivery or right after birth. I will DEFFINATLY be writing to Kodak and throwing a fit! I am going to take my camera with me tomorrow when I see him (and hopefully get to try and feed him!), and I will get some pictures of my little man for you all to see. I am crushed the pictures didnt turn out. But, I can move forward and get some tomorrow I hope the last of the 3 cameras at least work.
Autumn was able to come and see him today, and when she held him she kissed him and says to me "Mommy, I love my baby brother!" Talk about tear jerking! Im sure if I wasnt still racing ahead of hormons I woulda balled like a baby! We got a few pictures of her, and I and Jeff holding Kyle (which we wernt able to do until 11am this morning). I truely hope those ones turn out! I will try and retake what pictures we can retake just to maybe get some peace of mind that all the really important once in a lifetime pictures are gone.

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Monday night, the 15th we got home from almost 2hrs of shopping and just starting to eat dinner I felt a contraction...This was completely normal so I dismissed it as false labor. Then 3 mins later another...This went on for about an hour so I decided to call the Dr. I was told to head on over to the hospital! One I got settled the nurse checked me (11:15pm), I was at 4 1/2 but could stretch to 6. She called my Dr to see if he could order my epi. The anesthesiologist came in and started. I don't think she did it correctly because I was feeling this strong most awful pain in my entire life! Sharp pains going down my left hip to my ankle and pain in my spine. I couldn't move or flinch because I had a long a.s.s needle in my back. She then told me I should feel tingles going down my legs..NO WOMAN I FEEL PAIN!!! Finally 20 mins later it was over! But wait!!! I can STILL feel contractions...OMG! The epi wasn't working... About 30 mins later my dr came in checked me and I didn't change so he broke my water. About 2 hrs went by and my contractions waeren't strong enough to change my cervix so my Dr ordered pitocin. So now not only am I feeling contractions but I get to experience pitocin contractions almost natural. I was crying and shaking in pain, at one point they got so bad I couldn't hear/understand what anyone was saying to me until the contrax was over. The nurse called the anesthesiologist back in and the offered to do the epi again. HELL no! So instead she was giving me fentanyl all night(it's a derivative of morphine)...Finally I got to rest some until 5am when the pain was THE WORST, I got another shot of that morphine stuff but it didn't help this time :eek: At 6:40 my Dr comes in and tells me when I feel a contrax push so he can check me...So on the next one I did as he said and I was a full 10 and Bella's head was in the birth canal. He told the nurses to get everything set up. By this time it was 6:45am, he told me I'll have the baby by 7! I didn't believe him, LOL. So the next contrax I pushed as hard as I could. The nurse told me to push, my dr said not to after I pushed. Then he said to push again...After 4 pushes and less than 10 mins later Bella's born! Turns out if I hadn't pushed I would not have torn. Both my dr and myself heard the nurse say push but she swears she said "don't push". Anyway, my dr was telling me how fast she came out, it hurt his stomach, lmao..Like getting a football slammed in his stomach,hahaha.

Apgars were 8 and 9!! Gestational age based on tests 39 weeks! Maybe my dates were wrong!!

If I missed anything I'll be sure to add Smile

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

"MommyCB" wrote:

Early Monday morning (the 8th) at 2:10am I couldn't sleep because I started feeling strong -what I thought to be- Braxton-Hicks contractions. I got up at 2:50am and started cleaning the house, because I felt these may be the "real" thing. they lasted exactly 10 minutes apart. I swept, mopped, did laundry, both bathrooms, etc. to pass the time and so that I would walk into a clean house if we ended up heading to the hospital. Smile LOL

At 4:00am they were still about 10 minutes apart, so I woke Scott up and told him that I was in early stages of labor. He asked if we should head out now and I told him I wanted to wait a while. By 5:00am they were about 7 minutes apart and getting stronger. So I woke him up, we dressed Kayson, loaded up the car, I took a shower, called my hospital to let them know we were headed there, called my co-workers to let them know I wouldn't be in, and hit the road at 6:30am.

We arrived at the hospital at 8:00am and they had me in a room to monitor the contrax by 8:17am. I was dialated to a 3cm when I got there, which I was happy about! Smile We then called my sister Sarah who lives 2 hours from San Angelo and let her know I was in labor. She was going to be there and take Kayson during the actual birth. (Thank heavens for her!!) She arrived about 10:30am and entertained Kayson for us.

waiting in the room

By this time I wasn't dialating anymore, but my contrax were 5-7 minutes apart. The nurse called my doc and she didn't want to start me on pitocin, because she wanted me to reach the "magic number of 37 weeks...which would be the next day...the 9th". She was still going by my original due date of March 2nd. (It turns out after Cohen was born that they assessed him and believe he was a 37 weeker after all, so March 2nd was the correct due date.) So my doc said to keep monitoring me and we'd start pitocin in the morning, if I didn't labor on my own throughout the night. I was kindof bummed because the pain was getting worse, but respected her decision and just prayed that I could do it naturally.

Around 1pm Scott, Sarah and Kayson went and grabbed something to eat. They got back around 2pm and I was feeling a lot more pain. The nurse checked and I was at 5 1/2 cm! (yay) So I knew I wouldn't have to have pitocin. Smile Around 3:30pm the pain was becoming unbearable. I asked for an took a little over an hour to finally get it. When I got the epi I was already at 8cm! By the time it was in I was at 8 1/2cm! It started going so quick from there. The nurse called my doc and she said to break my water and she would be on her way. When the nurse broke my water she asked scott to grab a leg and help me push. She was the BEST nurse and stayed with me through all of labor. She was as close to a labor coach as I could hope for! I pushed twice and his head was there. She said "stop pushing...we've got to wait for the doctor". When my doc arrived I pushed through 4 or 5 more contrax (which were at this point right on top of eachother) and out he came at 4:37pm! He started crying immediantly and they layed him on my chest as Scott cut the cord. He weighed 6lbs. 4 oz. We were both crying and praising the Lord. He was just perfect!

They cleaned him up and we called Sarah and Kayson in the room. Kayson was able to hold him when he was only about 5 minutes old. That was one of the best memories I'll ever have. He held him so tenderly. He scored 8 and 9 on his apgars and was sooo bright eyed. All the nurses commented on how alert he was. He took to the breast amazingly well and had no latch issues. I was worried with him being early that we'd have some issues, as Kayson took a while to get the hang of b'fing.

I had requested a tubal so they scheduled it for 8:30pm that night. (my doc had an emergency and she had to leave, so they couldn't do it right away) Because of this they were going to use the epi I already had and so I wasn't able to move to another room until after the tubal. I was in recovery until 10:30pm and was moved to our room around 11pm. I b'fed Cohen right away and when feeling started returning to my legs I took a nice long bath. With everything going on I didn't sleep at all that night. Sarah had to leave and head home, so we kept kayson at the hospital with us. The staff was wonderful!! They are so family orientated and made it special for Kayson.

Because Cohen was early they wanted to keep him one more day. They did an u/s on his heart and brain because we had some previous concerns. his doctor says so far everything looks perfect!! Another answered prayer!

Every nurse I had from start to finish were so kind and caring. The care was the best and I couldn't ask for a better delivery.

We were discharged around 3:30pm yesterday (the 10th). Cohen weighed 6 lbs. 0oz at discharge. It was wonderful being home as a family of 4 last night! A friend had left us dinner in the fridge, so we heated that up and had a very relaxing evening. I got some much needed sleep too. Wink

We have his first appt. tomorrow with his pediatrician to check for jaundice. My milk has come in and is pretty painful. Sad I started pumping to relieve the pressure, but holy moly my boobs are enormous. I don't even own a bra big enough. Sad Gotta go bra shopping tomorrow after Cohen's appt.


irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

"jocelyn29" wrote:

Hi everyone! I know that I haven't been a super-frequent poster this pregnancy, but having a toddler will do that for you! Anyway, like Sally posted, my new little baby is here!

I woke up on Monday morning at around 4:30am with some mild contractions I thought were just stomach pains from some greasy pizza the night before. By 6:30am, I woke up John and we started timing them. In the bathroom, there was some pinkish blood on the tp as well. I called the midwives when their office opened and they told me to drink a lot of water and walk...if it was false labor the contractions would stop, if it was real, they would speed up. I start packing my suitcase and Molly's stuff for when she would go stay with my parents.

So, I am freaking out at this point because I have NOTHING done for my long term sub. My due date was March 3rd, so I thought I'd have 2 more weeks to prepare. Plus, we were hit with a ridiculous double blizzard here in Maryland so I hadn't even been at work for a week. I called my principal and went to school (it was closed) to pull some stuff, make some copies and write about a billion notes. John and my daughter Molly came with me.

Around 11:30, I feel a small gush of fluid and I know it's the start of my water breaking. John starts freaking out, telling me to leave to call the doctor. I'm still writing emails and pulling files. Finally, I pause and call the midwives. They ask me to come in at 1:50pm to get checked. I put the finishing touches on what I can and leave.

At this point, the contractions are about 8 minutes apart and getting stronger. We get to the midwives office and my water REALLY breaks all over the floor, my feet, and the exam table. She checks me and I am 3 cm. Since it's not a huge hurry, we drop off Molly and go back home to get the bags we forgot. Also, it's snowing so traffic is a little crazy.

We get to the hospital at 4:30 and just start waiting. My contractions are getting stronger but by 6:30, I'm still at a 3 and 90% effaced. I'm really wanting an epi at this point, but I wait another hour because I don't want pitocin. The epi kicked in FINALLY and by 7:30, I'm at a 7 and they can feel the baby's head right on my cervix. At 8:30, they check me again and I'm at a 10 and the baby is RIGHT THERE!

One big push and she was out at 8:51pm. I watched this time with the mirror and it was amazing to see her come into the world! She weighed 5 lbs, 14 oz which was very easy on me, let me tell you! No episiotomy! I just happen to produce small babies (Molly was 5lbs, 8 oz)...the midwife told me that I should just keep having them...umm...let me get through this one first! Smile

If you got this far, thanks for reading! I'm thinking about all of you about to go into labor and those of you still waiting! Here are some pictures...

Just born


Claire and Molly

My family

At home


irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043
Graceless / Mary Skye

"Graceless" wrote:

Tuesday, February 16th started out as normal a day as any other. C and I woke up 11-ish and I got her dressed and made her breakfast, and I made an egg and cheese sandwich for myself. After we ate I vacuumed the apartment and turned her loose on her toys. My big plans for the day included going to Walmart for odds and ends so I could finally get my hospital bag together, so I putzed around with writing a list. After that I putzed around on the computer for a little while and C watched Elmo. I started a load of diapers.

Around 2:30 I went to the bathroom to pee and I had quite the shock. When I wiped there was blood. Lots of bright, red blood and even some clots. It looked like I was on day 2 or 3 of my period. My experience with C was a little slime and some blood-streaked mucous that I lost over a period of 4 days before contractions started. This was thin red frank blood, and there wasn't any mucous to it. And there was a lot. I put on a pad and began to panic. I called DH first and then I called the midwives. All I could think about was the car accident I was in a week and a half ago, and that I was having an abruption. I am not sure if it's even possible to have an abruption or a partial abruption a week and a half after but that is all that was in my head. Their nurse on the phone asked me questions: Was she moving? I had to stop and think. Yes, she had slowed down, but she was still moving. Was I having sharp abdominal pain? No, definitely not. I felt slightly achy, just like when I was on my period. Was it so heavy I was soaking a pad an hour? I went to the bathroom to check. No, I told the nurse it was moderate. She told me I needed to come in to be checked, but that I was okay to come there (a 45-minute drive) rather than the nearest hospital (about 15 minutes) unless things changed. I called DH back and told him he needed to leave work, and I put Elmo back in and took a quick shower. I called my step-mom to come get C and I packed a bag for her and a bag for me. By the time DH and my step-mom got there the dull, achy feeling had turned into cramps. I still wasn't sure they were contractions at the time, because they were not anything close to the crazy back labor I had with C... but looking back that was the start of them and so they started about 3 o'clock. I had to finish packing, and DH had to put C's carseat in my step-mom's car and get some things for himself, just in case. You know, all those things we thought we still had 2 weeks to do... We finally left at about 4 o'clock. The car ride was really uncomfortable, but I was expecting that. Contractions were about every 3-4 minutes and lasting a minute. I timed them with the clock in the car as best I could while DH drove. I changed positions a few times, put the air conditioning on in my face, and breathed through the contractions. In between we joked about having the baby on the highway. Traffic was rush hour, and the snow was covering the shoulder, so we got there about 5 pm. I had to check in and go to the L & D triage instead of the birth center, because of the bleeding that was where I was suppose to go and they were expecting me. I got there and gave a urine sample, got hooked up to the monitors, and the nurse got enough of a strip to tell that the baby's heartbeat was reassuring. She called the midwife and updated her and asked her if she wanted to come up since I was acting "pretty uncomfortable" (I was still panting and breathing through contractions.. maybe every 2-3 minutes now?) She finally checked me and I was at 7 centimeters! She called the nurse at the birth center and told her I was coming and called the midwife again. I was wheeled to the birth center at about 5:30.

I got on my hands and knees on the bed while the nurse checked me with the handheld doppler and filled the tub. Sitting upright or hands and knees positions were the most comfortable for me. That kept the pain out of my back. I got in the tub at 5:40 even though it was still only half full. Contractions were a lot more intense and I was moaning through them now, but still very bearable and nowhere near what they had been with C. Because of that, I was pretty sure the baby was in a good position. I started to feel a lot of pressure and the midwife got there and checked me and I was a 10. She broke my water and the pressure eased up. Pretty soon it was right back though and a whole lot worse. I wasn't really prepared for what crowning would feel like, and it wasn't at all what I expected. I had thought it would be easier than the contractions, but it wasn't at all. I felt like my insides were all being pushed out, and there was a lot of sharp burning, and no rest in between the contractions. I was very vocal at this point, saying I couldn't do it, and swearing and all. This was the worst part of the entire labor for me, including being stitched up afterward and feeling that too.. luckily it only lasted 3-4 contractions or so. In between I would reach down and feel our baby's head, I could feel it getting bigger and bigger and I could feel all of her hair. Then it felt like there was a pop and a gush and she was out, and the midwife put her on my chest and she cried, and it was over and it was so wonderful..

Mary Skye was born at 6 pm on the dot on 2-16-10.

She was 7 lbs. 7 oz. and 20 inches long, exactly the same as C! (but at 37 weeks, 6 days... C was 40 weeks, 3 days.)

From the first contractions to the birth my labor was 3 hours long.

I had one 2nd-degree tear.

The bleeding I was told was probably from my cervix thinning/effacing/dilating very quickly.


irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043
Sweetart32 / Aidan

"Sweetart32" wrote:

Thank you for the well wishes everyone. I finally have a chance to post. Hospital has no wifi so I had to wait for DH to bring my aircard, then I needed a free moment as we've had a bunch of visitors at the hospital. Fine by me. Better now than when I'm home.

Thursday evening I started having painless contractions. I really wasn't sure if it was real or not but I sure hoped it was doing something.They were infrequent but continued off and on through Friday. Friday morning I had an appt with my OB and found I had gone from hanging out at 2 as I've been to a solid 3 and 70% effaced. Scheduled an induction for Thurs. 2/25

I didn't think too much of being at 3. I walked around at 3 almost 4 for a week or more before being induced with DD. Saturday morning I woke up at 6:15 with painful contractions. Still didn't think this could be it so I decided to take a bath and time them. I've never been the greatest at timing contractions, but was a bit shocked that they seemed to be coming every 3-5 minutes.

After a half hour I decided to wake up DH and got ready to go to the hospital. Dropped DD off at Grandma's and we were on our way. At the hospital they took me to an observation room instead of a L&D suite. Things started hapenning quickly when the nurse checked me and found I was 7 almost 8 cm with a bulging bag of waters.

To say DH and I were shocked was a bit of an understatement. The first words out of my mouth were But I need an epi!! The nurse told me as long as my water didn't break I should be able to get the epi in time. If my water broke it would probably go too fast to even bother.

Labor wasn't that bad. So much better than labor with pitocin. With pitocin there was no break in contractions. Without it I was able to tolerate it much better before the epi. I got the epi within the hour but hung out at 8cm for a couple hours after the ob broke my water. They decided to start pitocin which was fine by me as I had the epi already. Baby's heartrate was good and within 45 minutes of the pitocin I was at 10.

4 or 5 pushes later the nurse told me to stop as she didn't want to deliver the baby and ran for the dr. Within 15 minutes of pushing out Aidan came. 6 hours total labor. Sooo much better an easier than DD's birth. Of course I'm sure it helped that he's almost 2lbs lighter than DD at birth.

He's such a good baby. Doesn't really cry, just sleeps. He is a bit of a pain to feed. Unless he's really hungry he just pushes everything out his mouth. Breast or bottle doesn't matter. I'd wait until he's hungry to feed but sometimes he could go for way too many hours. We're working on it though.

Aidan born 2/20/10. 6lbs, 9ozs 18ins. Here are a few pics:




irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Marianne Frances
8lb 15 oz
20 inches
2/19/10 8:16am
40 weeks exactly Smile

I think I’m the first planned c-section for “March” so this really won’t be that interesting, but I wanted to share some cool stuff that happened. The section was scheduled for 8:30 am on Friday. We had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am, not so much fun. We got there in plenty of time, registered in no time at all and I was given a ride up to L&D in a wheelchair. My DH and MIL were with me and we all got sent to the recovery/prep room. I got my super fashionable gown and they put the monitors on me and baby. Since all was well they only monitored for about half an hour, and then came the IV. The first nurse tried to put it in my wrist and had to dig pretty hard. I thought I was going to come unglued when she wouldn’t stop. She finally got it in and of course, the vein blew. The second nurse tried and I barely felt it. She got the IV about 4 inches up my arm away from my wrist which worked really well for me for nursing and stuff later. I got to walk into the operating theatre which made me really happy for some strange reason. This is the really cool part. There is a new kind of spinal block called Astromorph. It lasts for 24 hours. I got feeling back in my legs after about 4, but no pain for the whole first day. I had no pain pump or any other pain medication until the second day and all I had then was the naproxium (aleeve). This is my second section and I have to say it was amazing what a difference it made. I was itchy as hell, and didn’t want to take benedryl because I didn’t want to be sleepy. But the difference the spinal made was amazing! I could press on my stomach to help my uteru contract and it didn’t hurt AT ALL! Unbelievable! Anyway. They did the surgery and when they pulled her out my DH got to be the one to tell me it was a girl. I cried. They cleaned her up and her apgar was 7 and 9 because of her coloring. This was cleared up fairly quickly once she started breathing on her own. The nurses took Marianne to the nursery and DH went with her. I got put back together and sent to recovery for an hour. I really felt fine while I was in there it was so weird. DH came back and said that Marianne was getting cleaned up but her body temp was still a half a degree low and she couldn’t leave the nursery yet. By the time I was settled in my room she was finally ready to come out of the nursery. The nurse that brought her to me said all kinds of stuff but I truly wasn’t listening. All I could do was stare at the amazing little person in my arms. When she was finally done talking I asked if I could go ahead and nurse now. She said that would be great and everyone left so I could nurse. Marianne took to the breast right away and had a good 10 minute feeding. The whole time we were in the hospital Marianne nursed like a champ. Of course being as big as she was she would nurse a lot and then want to sleep for 4 or 5 hours. This has caused an issue with her bilirubin scores being a little high and we have had to have them checked since we left the hospital. I am hoping that her continued eating well will flush it from her system. We will find out tomorrow what her scores are. Other than that she is amazing, she is a great baby and we are so blessed to have her.

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Gavin Thomas: Born March 3 at 9:48 pm 6 lb 13 oz, 20 inches

Well I got to the hospital at 7:30 am. They did the Citotec at about 9:00. I was having regular contractions but they were not very painful. I was up walking the halls. Then the doctor came and broke my water at 2:30. At this point I was only a solid 3 cm. As soon as my water broke I started having painful contractions ever 1-2 minutes. It was crazy. By four I was moaning in pain and clutching Tom. I was only 4 cm and didn't want the epidural yet. They gave me Stadol and I calmed down immensely and was able to breathe through the contractions. At 5:30 I was a 6 and I got the epidural. It was heaven sent. I had no problems with it, the worse part was being in that position and having contractions. OW! So I laid there for awhile and I started getting the shakes really bad but they eventually went away. They checked me at one point and I was still only 6-7. At 9 the nurse was worried that my contractions had slowed as they were barely showing up on the monitor. I was sure I had hours and pitocin ahead of me. Well they checked me and I was complete and ready to push! Big surprise, turned out the monitor just wasn't picking it up cuz I was on my side. I started pushing which was so weird b/c I couldn't feel anything down there. I could sort of feel the contractions. Anyway I guess I was doing it as he came out at 9:48. He looked so tiny but he was 6 lb 13 oz and 20 in, he was beautiful and his Apgars were 8 and 9. I did have a small episiotomy w/ no extension. The nurses and hospital experience was amazing.
He is eating great and is such an awesome baby!

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

On February 22nd at 39 weeks I awoke around 3am to strong contractions. After a few hours we decided to make the trip to Labour & Delivery... contractions were 5 minutes apart and I started to get bloody show. Once hooked up to the monitor my contractions started to get farther apart and even though I was 4cm's dialated they decided to send me home. I continued to get bad contractions and a lot of bloody show over the next three days. I had never experienced prodromal labour before so this was very frustrating to say the least!

The following Sunday, two days after my due date I decided to try the pineapple trick of eating an entire fresh pineapple to bring on labour. So I drove to the grocery store and picked out a big one! Chris cut it up for me and I ate the entire thing... it was delicious! Later that night around 11pm I felt the first contraction... it wasn't very painful but it got my attention. Chris was getting ready for bed and I said to him... "you might want to reconsider going to sleep" which we both kinda shrugged off as I had been having so many contractions on and off we had no idea what was going on anymore. After about an hour of contractions ranging 7 minutes apart we decided to start using the Contraction Master online.

Around 1am the contractions started to get more intense and I wanted to spend time on the bed and toilet... but they were still erratic and we didn't want to make the trip to the hospital just to get sent home again! By 2am I started to get the shakes and bloody show, contractions were still a bit erratic, sometimes 5 minutes apart, sometimes 8-10 minutes apart but lasting for a minute and starting to hurt. We had the laptop on the bed and Chris timed all of them with the Contraction Master but all I remember most of that time at home is going from the toilet to the bed with our room lit up blue from the laptop!

By 2:45am we thought it might be wise to make the trip in, I was in pain and the bloody show was getting worse... plus it's a 45 minute drive to the hospital! Chris called his mom to come over and watch the boys and we headed out. During the car ride the pain really intensified and I remember them coming every 5 minutes and digging my nails into the car door! I couldn't be quiet anymore, as much as I tried the pain was just too intense, such a deep stabbing pain around my cervix and into my back.

We got to the hospital at 3:30am and had one contraction in the hallway on the way up to Labour & Delivery. I was taken to triage right away and they checked me and I was still 4cm's! I was having trouble with my breathing during the contractions and the nurse had to help me to focus on breathing through them. They took my blood right away and started to work at getting my IV in as I was GBS +++ Two nurses and two blown veins later, a third nurse came in to try and suddenly my contractions were back to back and I was in agony!!! The nurse decided to check me again and 45 minutes after I arrived I was now 6cm's dialated. I felt my water break and really started to panic and completely lose all control with my breathing. The pain was now completely unbearable! The nurse suddenly wanted me to get up and get to a labour room and I found the walk to the room really difficult as I felt tremendous pressure between my legs and my waters leaking. I got to the labour room about 4:30am and the doctor was called from home... suddenly there were lots of nurses in the room and I was moaning really loud while hunched over the bed. I was in so much pain I couldn't even get onto the bed. It was at this point I realized I was not going to get an epidural as I still hadn't had a IV line and an hour of antibiotics (you have to have this first before you get the epidural). I did not want a natural drug free birth like my first and remembering the pain of that delivery was almost too much to bear (my last two were epidurals).

Suddenly I hear all the nurses telling me not to push, I could not fathom why they were telling me this! I guess by the noise I was making they new baby was coming fast. I got on the bed and was checked to be an 8, a few minutes later I was a 9. By this time I was screaming out in pain, the contractions were back to back and I felt like I was seriously going to die. They gave me the gas to breathe and I told Chris to get the camera which was still in our car. The nurse said to him "you might miss the delivery" and he looked at me and I said "go!!" There was no way I was going to have the baby that fast I thought to myself, I've only been here an hour! Someone stabbed an IV into my left arm which I never felt with the contractions and suddenly it seemed Chris was back. I was 10cm's by the time Chris returned and the urge to push hit like something I've never felt before. It was intense, like I had no control over my body.... almost like when you throw up, your body is going to do it whether you want to control it or not. By this time I started hyperventilating and was clutching onto the gas and breathing so hard I suddenly felt all pain drift off. I could hear everyone yelling my name and feel my eyes roll into the back of my head but I was in never never land. All I remember was really bright lights and people yelling my name but I couldn't answer them, everything felt numb, my lips were frozen, I couldn't answer them. They took the gas off me and as I came too the doctor was there and told them "no more gas for her!" Chris said it was really scary when I passed out and everyone stopped what they were doing and looked concerned. But then, in an instant that freight train of pain was back and everyone was telling me to pull back my legs and push. There wasn't even time to break down the bed. Chris was by my head and I had four nurses holding my legs helping me and coaching me. The pain was indescribably bad!! I was screaming and moaning to everyone that I couldn't do it, I didn't want to do it, it hurt too bed, it stung too bad, please give me the gas... begging in it's most pathetic form. Chris said I kept apologizing in between and that it was somewhat comical. I gave 4 hard pushes and felt every inch of her rotate out... the stinging pain was absolutely unreal but as soon as she popped out the pain vanished and I had a beautiful baby girl with lots of dark hair!! She was born at 5:02am, weighing 7lbs 15oz and was 20 inches long. We named her Clara Lena H******* after two great grandmother's on Chris's side.

A picture of her great grandmother Klara in 1912...

I was really in shock from it all and Chris stayed with her and held her while I delivered the placenta. They gave me a shot in the leg and the placenta came out about 5 minutes after she was born. I didn't have any rips/tears but my vagina was stinging for a good hour afterwards. The put the ice pads on me down there and it brought a lot of relief. I think for the first two hours I was pretty dazed and confused from everything that had happened but I was soooooo in love!! Everytime I looked over at Chris he was holding her and just staring so lovingly at her while mouthing "I love you..." to me. It was really the best moment of my entire life. Chris stayed with me for the first day but I sent him home later that night to take care of the boys since I was really feeling good. I stayed up the first night just staring at her, I just couldn't believe I had such a beautiful baby girl and everything went so well. I really had prepared myself for another csection, I really never thought I'd end up having two vbac's and painfree recoveries.

We went home the next day after she was born... and I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present! I turned 32 and brought my baby daughter home from the hospital on the same day. Nursing is going great, she's very content and rarely cries... she is even sleeping 5-7 hours stretches at night. Chris and I are very proud and feel very blessed that all went well and we have a beautiful thriving daughter.

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Matt and I left the house at 4:15 Friday morning, got to the hospital at 5:00. I had just enough time to walk by the nursery and give one of the nurses the blankets I'd made for the other babies there before I got called back into my room. I got my gown on and got into bed, then it took three different nurses to get my IV in. The first nurse tried it in both my hands, it didn't take. The second nurse tried it in my right arm, it didn't take. The third and final nurse, Dorthy, came in and got it in first try. I like Dorthy! (LOL). I got a good anestesioligist this time that listened to me, I didn't have nearly as many problems. He got my spinal tap in with little trouble and only took him a few minutes. It hurt as usual but it was so quick I didn't mind. Just like both times before it took my spinal medication a bit longer than usual to get to working. They had me on the table and prepped long before I was ready to be cut. Doc Splane was sitting there pretty much staring at the wallpaper for a good three minutes, waiting for me to be ready before he could start my c-section. He kept testing me those three minutes, wasn't ready. About five minutes later than usual, he got started, I didn't feel a thing. And as normal for me, I was feeling sick while on the table, got something in my IV to calm my stomach and the rest was a breeze. Adan David Bradshaw came out screaming at the top of his lungs at 7:30am, Friday, March the 19th, weighing in at 8lbs 11oz, he was the biggest baby in the whole hospital the whole time we were there. The next to the largest baby was only eight pounds. Adan has got jet black hair and deep dark blue eyes. By far this was my easiest c-section to go though. But afterwards, while in my recovery room, the worst to recover from. The second they got Adan out I started with some very severe cramping and uterus contractions. They were awful. They kept asking me on a scale to 1-10 how bad the pain was from it, I kept having to tell them, "A good solid 9," for the first two days. Each time the nurse had to rub my stomach to get my uterus to shrink, we weren't on good terms, lol. I made the nurse cry I was in enough pain from it. The poor nurse kept chanting, "Sorry, sorry, sorry," to me like it was some montra, she felt horrible for having to do it and I can't say I liked it much either. My stomach felt like a lead brick for days. It's just now starting to soften up a hair. I had to do an absolute TON of walking while in the hospital. Once the uterine cramps were gone, gas set in. I'm still having to walk often to keep it moving out of my system and keep the pain down. They were having to give me moraphine shots regularly in my IV for the pain on top of my pain killers. That made me itch to high heaven so I had to take benadryl to calm the itching so I could nap.

I started giving Adan a bottle pretty much the second he arrived. They gave me my pump to use in my room and I still haven't gotten anything out but for a few drops of colostrum now and then. We try nursing every once and awhile, but like his brother, he's no patience for it unless there's something there to eat. He's a very good eater. From day one he drank one ounce. By day two he was taking a full two ounce bottle. He's only lost a few ounces. Now that we have him home his weight is still good at 8lbs and 5oz. His billy rubens are wonderful, no sign what so ever of jaundace. He had his circumcision done this morning and is healing well from it though sleeping a lot today. Over all he's a very good baby and rarely cries unless there's something wrong. When he first wakes up he squeaks softly as if to say, "Anyone there? I'm hungry, hello!" He'll do that a few minutes and if you don't get him by the time he's worried he'll start screaming. Other than that he's quiet. He still gets the hiccups a lot.

The staff was wonderful and much appreciated. Most the time they kept me in good spirits and laughing. Even while on the table in the ER they were making jokes about "Auntie M," and her nurse "Dorthy." I'm feeling good for the most part. My medications make me very loopy headed, most the time I don't know if it's day or night or if I'm coming or going, but I can tolerate that if the pain is controlled. Adam absolutely is wonderful with his new baby brother, seems to just love him. His little face lights up each time we let him hold the baby and he's being surprisingly very gentle. He wants to be in the middle of it all. He tries to help feed Adan, is constantly reaching out to touch Adan's hands or toes and is very sweet about kissing his little brother's head or cheek.

No signs of PPD yet. I credit that to my wonderful husband who's been taking excellent care of us and letting me get as much rest as I need.

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

I'm pleased to announce that Jackson Drew arrived on Tuesday March 16th at 5:25am! He weighed 7lbs 6oz and was 21in long. From start to finish, my labor was only 7 hours! Such a drastic difference from my birth experience with Carson.

I couldn't be happier with how the whole thing went. On Monday I spent my last day as a mother of one getting things done before the baby got here. I went and got Carson his hair cut, and even was able to make 2 dinners to freeze with the help from my mom. Monday night, we put Carson to bed, and went downstairs to watch some TV. It had been a pretty long day for me with lots of walking, so I was pretty exhausted. I wound up falling asleep on the couch while Drew tinkered around on the computer.

I woke up at 10:30, and my pants were wet. Uh-oh. I thought that I might have peed my pants, but my mind immediately thought that my water might have broke. I said to Drew, "I think my water might have broke." I think he started to freak a bit. I got up and went to the bathroom. I did have to pee, so I still wasn’t sure that it really broke or if I peed my pants. That was until I wiped. Then I knew. At that point I started shaking and getting really nervous and scared.
Most of my stuff was packed in my hospital bag, so I didn’t have much to do in terms of getting ready to leave for the hospital. I first called Drew’s sister to have her come over and sit at the house until someone arrived to stay the night with Carson. Unfortunately, her boyfriend was working, and she would have had to wake up Emma to come over. So instead, we just called my mom and had her come over to the house. From the time my water broke to the time we left, it was a little over an hour. Not bad.

We got to the hospital at midnight. By the time we got checked in, I wasn’t checked until about 12:30. Two hours down! At that point, I was dilated to 2cm and I was about 70% effaced. Baby was at -2 station, so he hadn’t moved down yet. They left us alone after that for quite some time. The contractions started to get painful after a little while. By around 4am, they were getting a little intense. I decided that it was time to call the nurse and let them know I was about ready for that epidural.

They started wheeling the stuff in for the epidural, and I asked to be checked beforehand. I didn’t want to still be at 2cm, get the epidural and stall my labor. So one of the nurses came in, and checked me. She was a little newer and she said she thought I was about a 3. She had a different nurse (Joni – who was wonderful!) come in and check me, and she said I was at 4cm, 0 station, and about 90% effaced. Yay for progress!! So I discussed getting the epidural with her. I was still a little worried about getting it this soon. Joni said that they normally recommend a second time mom getting an epidural around 3 or 4, because labor tends to go quite fast after that point. So we started the process.
It took a good hour to get the doctor up to give the epidural, and go through all the procedure. The doctor was teaching a nurse to give the epidural, which made me a little nervous at the time. I didn’t necessarily want to be a guinea pig with something like this. I tried not to listen to anything that he was saying, which was kind of easy, because he was a bit of a “low talker.” I was starting to have some pretty painful contractions during this point. I remember I had to tell them to wait at one point, because I wasn’t sure I could hold still long enough for them to do what they needed to do. Drew was able to stay in the room this time, and the nurses just kept asking him if he was okay LOL! I think he stood with his face in the corner most of the time they were in there. So they got the epidural in, and gave me the test dose. All went well. They left for a bit then came back to give me the full dose. That was very nice! I started getting relief immediately.

At this point, Jackson’s heart rate started to drop a bit. The nurses had me turn over to one side for a little while. Then the other side. They finally left me in this position for a while. I think at one point, Jackson’s heart rate got down to about 95 or so. Needless to say, I was a little worried myself. The nurses told me that he was fine, and it was completely normal for the heart rate to drop like that at this point, and that they would let me know if they were worried. His heart rate pretty much stayed around 130 after that point.

After the epidural had plenty of time to take effect, a nurse came in to give me my catheter. She put the iodine on me, and I got a little worried again. I could feel what she was doing. I let her know that, and she assured me that sometimes you could feel what was going on, but not feel any pain. She was right. She had a bit of trouble giving me the catheter, so she called Joni in. They were able to put it in, and I felt no pain. Whew!
So all in all it took about 2 hours to get the epidural. It was time to be checked again. Joni checked me and said I was at 5cm, and progressing nicely. One of the nurses said that I was going to deliver before 6am. Of course, I didn’t believe her. My last labor was too long. There was no way I was going to deliver that soon! So everyone left, and it was time to kick back and relax. Drew started to fall asleep in the chair, and I had my eyes closed while I was laying on my side in bed. The epidural was working great, and I could still move my toes. That doctor was a great teacher!

About 15 minutes after everyone left, I suddenly felt a ton of pressure and felt some more fluid leak out. It hadn’t been that long, but I felt like I needed to call the nurses in to check me again. I felt a little like I was going to bug them by doing that, but really felt I needed to. So Joni came in, checked me and said I was 10cm and ready to push! Yikes! 15 minutes before that I was only at 5!!

They called my doctor and had him come on down to the hospital. They told me not to push until he got there. There wasn’t much I could do, because with every contraction, I felt Jackson move further and further down. I couldn’t guarantee that I wouldn’t do anything before the doctor got there. He was actually pretty fast getting to the hospital. Once he got there, they got me all prepared to push. I gave a few test pushes, and was doing a great job. The doctor got all suited up, and asked Drew if he wanted to deliver the baby. I could tell that he didn’t really want to do it, so I told him that he would definitely want to cut the cord. Drew stood at the foot of the bed this time while I pushed. They told me to just push when I felt pressure. I told the doctor that I didn’t want an episiotomy, so he told me that when the baby started to crown, not to push, and he would take care of it. So, when that point came, the doctor worked Jackson’s head out himself, and told Drew to come on over and put the baby up on my chest. When the head came all the way out, Drew stepped aside and told the doctor to do it himself. I guess the cord was wrapped around his neck, and the doctor had to cut the cord himself. He put Jackson on my chest, and he wasn’t really making much noise at all. He may have made one or two grunts, but he didn’t cry at all. He was actually pretty blue. They suctioned and wiped him off a bit, but Joni took him over to the warmer to stimulate him. He pretty much immediately started crying at that point, and the doctor tended to me.

I didn’t need any stitches at all, so the doctor didn’t stay long. The nurses took care of the rest. Once the doctor left, one of the nurses was getting a bit worried about me. I guess I started bleeding quite a bit and it didn’t want to stop. Joni came over and started massaging my belly, and told another nurse to get the doctor’s approval for some medicine for me. By the time the other nurse got back, Joni got everything under control, and I didn’t need anything for the bleeding. Phew!

Finally, I was able to hold Jackson! It felt so good to see that little guy for the first time! I nursed him, and he did a great job! Everyone left, and we were able to have some nice alone time. All in all, labor was 7 hours long. I really only felt like I labored for about 2 hours because it all went so fast. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience this time around.

My recovery has been miles better than it was with Carson. I wasn’t nearly as swollen, and I didn’t have as much pain afterwards. I’m almost a week out now, and feel pretty much back to normal. The epidural wore of very quickly, and I was able to get a shower in about 2 hours after Jackson was born. I wasn’t nearly as tired and exhausted as I was after Carson was born. I just felt so good for just having a baby. And to think I was so scared….

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Date of birth: 03/06/2010
first and middle name: Ryan Jameson
baby born at how many weeks and days - what the EDD was 38 weeks 1 day. EDD 03/19
time, weight, length: 6:35pm 6lbs 2.2oz, 19.2"
your screen name and name: cheryl929, cheryl

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Well, it took me 2 1/2 weeks, but I finally got all the details pieced together! Sorry for the length of this, but there's a lot of information here!


My 39 week appointment with the OB was at 2:30. She asked if I had any contractions, and I told her I had some, but nothing really measurable. They had been stronger than before but not coming with any consistency. She said that she was going to check my cervix, but not many people change much between weeks 38 and 39. I had been 1-2cm and 50% effaced at 38 weeks.

She did my exam and as she was checking, she gave me kind of a funny look and asked again if I had any contractions. I told her that the contractions I was having was nothing significant. She said she was surprised because based on her exam, I should be in labor. I was at 3cm and 75% effaced. She told us that if she had to guess, I was going to go into labor that night. MAYBE the next day, but she’d bet that night.

After leaving the doctor’s office, we called our parents and our doula to tell them not to make any plans for the evening. We got home and had some dinner, then Derrick had to stop in at work. He was scheduled to work the next day and wanted to get someone to cover his shift. While he was gone, I started having some contractions (around 5:00). I started timing them and they were about 10-12 minutes apart. After that continued for about an hour, I had my mom come down and hang out with me. We went into the nursery and I sat in the glider while she and my nephew played on the floor. I wasn’t timing the contractions, but I would guess they were about 5-6 minutes apart. Derrick got home shortly after I moved into the nursery. We went back into the living room because the contractions were getting stronger and more frequent, and started timing them again. They were about 3 minutes apart! I went up to go to the bathroom and thought that maybe my water had broke because I felt an extra little trickle. Derrick called the doctor to ask her. She said because I hadn’t continued to leak, it’s highly unlikely my water had broken. Derrick also told her my contractions had been about 3 minutes apart for the last half hour. This was a little after 7:00pm.

After another half an hour, we paged the doula. She called us around 8:00 and said she’d be on her way. She arrived around 8:30 (I think?). I was doing a good job changing positions and breathing through the contractions. She helped me remember to drink water and eat some snacks. She helped me change positions. Mostly, she was observing my patterns and how I was handling the contractions. At 10:05, she said it was time to go to the hospital. The contractions were getting very uncomfortable and definitely closer together. The car ride to the hospital was one of the most painful things I’ve ever had to go through in my life! Derrick was going about 80 on the freeway, with the doula and my parents trailing behind us.

We got to the hospital at 10:30. I know I signed forms, and there was a nurse at the counter but I honestly don’t really remember much of what happened from here on out. They got us into a room. Unfortunately, it wasn’t an actual birthing room. They were so busy that all the birthing rooms were occupied. So they converted a recovery room into a birthing room. All I remember is for about 15 minutes there was a lot of shuffling, bringing in equipment, bodies moving around. I was just getting through each contraction, completely ignoring everything around me.

When everything was finally settled, a nurse came to check me. She put on the blood pressure cuff, told me what they were going to do, told me I had to stay in the bed while they administered the antibiotics but after that, I could move about freely. I could also stay in my clothes if I wanted, and could eat and drink. I chose to stay in my clothes for most of the labor, and we brought water and snacks for me. The nurse examined me and I was at 7cm, 100% effaced, and baby was at -1 station. YAY!!! Antibiotics were administered at 11:05, and once those were started my parents, MIL/FIL were allowed into the room.

At 11:30, the antibiotics were done and my doctor came in to check me. I was at 8-9cm and the bag of waters were in tact. The doctor asked me if I wanted her to break the bag and I told her no. After she left, I moved into a more comfortable position (laboring on my back was EXCRUTIATING!!!).

Sidebar: It’s funny, I studied up on all the birthing positions and what is best for certain stages of labor… I only ended up using four positions. At home, I was kneeling on the floor leaning on the birthing ball, and sitting on the birthing ball with my hands on my knees. At the hospital, I sat on the birthing ball leaned on the foot of the bed, and kneeling on the bed leaning on the inclined back of the bed. My doula kept suggesting positions and I would be there in between contractions, but my body went right back to one of the four positions once the contraction started.

At 12:25, the doctor checked me again and my cervix was the same. Again, she asked if I wanted her to break my bag of waters. I thought about it for a second, and told her no. I honestly considered having her do it but I figured I was so close, it had to beak soon.

At 1:00am, my doula had me go to the bathroom. My husband came in with me. Before this, I had the slight urge to push and did little pushes during contractions. But in the bathroom, I had the HUGE urge to push, so I did. While I was in there, I also changed into the hospital gown. When I came out, I told my doula that I was really feeling the urge to push. She called in one of the nurses and told her.

At 1:32, I had a really strong contraction and a huge push. My water broke on that contraction. During the contraction after that, I yelled “She’s right there!” I swear this baby was going to come out right that second and I was paranoid that there wasn’t a doctor there. The doctor came in shortly after. I asked to push in the position I was in (kneeling on the bed and leaning against the back). The doctor said I would tear more in that position, and I needed to lay on my back. I told her I would lay on my side and she agreed to that. I don’t think I could’ve pushed on my back. The few times they made me lay that way was so painful.

At 1:40am, 8 minutes after my water broke, Shelby was born. She was 7lbs 14oz, and 20.5 in. One of the best things about her delivery was my FIL, who is deaf with a cochlear implant, could hear her cry. That was an amazing moment.

Me, DH and our doula (Becky)

The cord was too short to put her immediately on me, so they had Derrick cut the cord and gave her to me for skin-to-skin contact. The doctor sutured up the minor tear that I had, and the nurse told me that I could take as much time as I needed. They would do everything they needed to do after we had our initial bonding time. We did our first breastfeeding session (which went very well), and had some time with Derrick and I. The nurses came in about an hour later to asked if we were ready. I handed the baby over and the doula and I went into the bathroom to clean me up.

The doula left around 4am and Derrick and I finally had some time to sleep. I didn’t sleep much that day. I was discharged around 5PM that same day. I voluntarily left early with approval from the OB and pediatrician.

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

A little late but better than never I guess....

On March 8th I was expecting the call from the hospital to tell me that I was being induced. Instead, I was told that the team was denying me the induction but to come in and talk with the Doctor. I got there at 10am and I cried and cried and argued with her as to why I thought I should be induced. I was 38weeks exactly that day. The best she could offer was to strip my membranes and get my regular doctor to do it again that afternoon. So since it wasnt going to get any better than that, I agreed. She stripped them and home I went for a few hours before my scheduled prenatal appointment. At 2:15 I went to the appointment and again cried from the pain I was in and all the stress I was under. She stripped membranes as well and home I went. By 5pm I was having enough contractions that Ray and I decided to head up to the hospital to see what was up. I got all hooked up and they monitored me for the standard 20 minutes before telling me that I was only 1cm and 75% effaced. (I had been 3 cms earlier in the day) I was in early labor so go home. We opted to stay at Rays parents house with the kids just in case labor picked up during the night. Went to sleep around 11pm and woke frequently with painful contractions. I kept telling myself that since I was able to sleep through them, it wasnt time to go. Finally 6:30am I woke and nearly screamed from the pain, I walked as best I could to the living room and woke Ray up and told him that it really was time to go. So my poor hubby, with a cast on his right foot, drove us to the hospital. We got there and they wanted to hook me up again, I had a contraction and yelled at them to check me and call the anesthesiologist. They did, and I was 5cms with a bulging bag of waters. I was moved into the delivery suite and the epi lady was called. I seriously thought that I would miss my chance again because she was so slow getting there. An acquantaince of mine was in the next room in labor and was having a hell of a time with it. could keep hearing her screaming, swearing and crying. It was hard to listen to. Finally the epi lady got there and got all set up. She tried twice and couldnt get the stupid thing in! I was about ready to give up and tell her to go away when she said that she would try once more and if it did not take, she would have to give up. Well, it took! I finally got my epi after 3 deliveries without! And whoever invented that epidural deserves a medal! I was in heaven! I could feel everything just not the pain! Unfortunately my contractions slowed down after the epi and I needed to be put on another drug to get things going again. They set up the mirror for me and broke my water, I pushed for 24 minutes, very calmly I might add. It was all very mellow. I remember watching the delivery and at one point staring into the mirror and saying, This is F*&?%ed up! lol
I watched my daughter come into this world on March 9th at 10:47am with her cord around her neck and she was extremely blue. That was the scariest thing in the world. They got the cord off, and roughed her up a bit to get her crying and moving. It was horrible to see your baby crying and wanting to stop it, but needing her to cry to know she is alive. My heart broke. BUT...she ended up scoring 9 on her apgars. When they finally weighed her she was 6lbs 15.5 ozs. I had only wanted Ray and I in the room but my birth mother was working on the next floor and got transferred to obs to be there that day. I was a little put off since she seemed very pushy and very adament about being there but as soon as Emma was born, she took off. PLUS I had asked very clearly that everyone just stay away for the first day and give us some bonding time. My birth mom ignored that request and told my sister to come up anyways!! I wasnt thinking or else I would have told the nurse not to let anyone in. So the room ended up filled with family by the end of the day, I guess it wasnt too bad. The following day I got in for my tubal and the same epi lady offered me the choice of a spinal or general. I chose general and then her and the nurse decided to do a spinal. UGH! So whatever, I went along with it until they started the cut then I started panicking, so they ended up knocking me out anyways.

Emma is such a great little girl, she is very tiny and is just starting to grow into newborn clothes. I am so glad I got a bunch of premmie clothes from a lady in town! Oh and she is super red so her oldest brother Jaylon has nicknamed her Lil Radish. Pics to come this week

Forgot to add that at her 2 week checkup, the doctor noticed that she has a hernia on her bellybutton and that little dimple right above her buttcrack goes almost back to her spine so she has to see a doctor for her one month and if it isnt getting any better she will need an ultrasound to see whats going on there.

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Saturday evening (March 20th) I was having on and off contractions. That was nothing new, so I brushed it all off. As the night went on I noticed the pain in my back getting increasingly more unbearable and I noticed these contractions had a different feel to them. We tried to go to bed but I got no sleep. All night long they just got worse and worse and worse to the point where I was moaning and grabbing and gripping the railing on the bed just to get through them. I forget when, but at some point I decided this was definitely labor. Around 6 o'clock I figured I had waited it out enough. I told Mike we needed to go now. I called the doctor, came to my mom's and finished packing my bag, and we were on our way to the hospital.

We got there sometime between 8 and 8:30. I got hooked up to the monitors and triaged. At this point my contractions were steady every 3-5 and Mike's mom and my mom noticed his heart rate doing weird things during my contractions. We got moved from triage to a room very quickly because there was hardly anyone there. That's when it just all went downhill. The doctor came in and said since I had been in labor all night basically and my cervix hadn't changed much, and he had some minor heart decels, she wanted to speed things up (break my water, pitocin, etc.). I told her I needed a minute. I felt completely overwhelmed for some reason and I don't think I had completely come to grips with the fact that I was actually in labor and about to give birth. It seems like as soon as I asked for a minute to wrap my mind around what was going on, sh*t hit the fan and things went crazy.

I don't remember what was said or what happend but the next thing I know I had two nurses on my left, two on my right, and two at the bottom of the bed, and the doctor all crowding around me. Moving me from side to side. Next thing I know a catheter is being pushed up inside me (unsuccessfully I might add- it took two tries) while I'm on all fours and another nurse is wrist deep in me trying to move his head. One nurse is giving me oxygen and another is giving me a shot to stop my contractions. Another nurse is holding me and trying to calm me down as I'm crying and asking what are they doing and what's happening. (My mom and I were talking about how crazy and horrible the whole situation was. She started crying and told me about how one of the nurses just looked her dead in the eye in the middle of all the chaos and shook her head as if to say "This is NOT good.") The next thing I remember I'm in the operating room. My contractions had stopped allowing his heartrate to stablize. And I thank God up and down and up and down over and over they were able to stablize him because the anesthesiologist made us wait for what seemed like forever. The nurses and OB were PISSED. The anesthesiologist came in and tried the spinal twice without any success. Next I know they tell me that I'm open and I asked where the hell Michael was. Then he walks in and I feel SO much better.

Michael Bentley arrived at 10:49 am on March 21st. 7lbs 5oz and 19 1/2 inches long. Apgars 9 and 9. I didn't hear him cry at first, which I was waiting for. The first thing I heard was a squeek. I love his little squeeks. He's just perfect and worth it all. We had some issue with his blood sugar levels and they were considering putting him in the NICU for 24 hours. But I had an awesome nurse that worked with us all night long, feeding after feeding and testing after tesing to get his sugars up.

Milk drunk for the very first time lol

Going home!

irishgirl's picture
Joined: 04/10/07
Posts: 1043

Thursday, March 18 I had my last dr.'s appt. and my last NST. We got up early to go do the NST before my appt. because my dh had to work that afternoon. He made me pack bags for everyone and we had what we thought was a rehearsal for Monday when I was having my c-section. We only forgot a couple of things too! We dropped the boys off at my in-law's and went to the hospital. The nurses got me hooked up to the monitors and it seemed Hudson was sleeping again. I poked around on him and when he moved, we noticed that his heartbeat would go from 140 to 150 or 160, and then all the way down to 90. Craig and I had been through enough of these to know that wasn't normal. We were pretty worried. We were there for awhile and I had Craig call the dr. and tell them we were going to be late to our appt. Turns out, our appt. was scheduled for a different branch of his office, so there was going to be no way to get to it anyways. After another 30 minutes or so, the nurse called my dr. He said to go have a good lunch and then come back and see if that helped, and to go to his office when he got there and they would fit me it. We went to Wal-Mart to finish up our Easter shopping and then went to eat lunch. We got back to the hospital and Hudson was still not responding well. This time, my dr. came over to the hospital to see me. After checking everything out, he decided to admit me for 24 hours for observation to see if things would get better. I was so glad Craig had made us pack our bags!! They took me to a room and tried to get my IV going. The first nurse tried once in each hand, the second tried once in each wrist, and then they called the anesthesieologist. He gave me the option of inside my elbow or my thumb. He got it in my arm no problem!! I stayed on the monitors the rest of the afternoon evening and things were not improving for Husdon and I was starting to have contractions. Craig and I had both decided we did not want to wait for a c-section for Monday, no matter what. I didn't want to have to go through getting an IV again, either!! My dr. came that evening and he said we could wait and see how things go and possibly do a c-section Friday afternoon. I told him I didn't need to wait and see, I was ready. We scheduled the surgery for 7 am on Friday. (I was so glad my dr. was on call all weekend, so I wouldn't have another dr. checking on me!) Craig and I neither one got much sleep that night. They had given me 2 ambien about midnight and they just made me groggy for the next 8 hours. I was pretty nervous about having another c-section and worrying about Hudson being okay. The surgery went fine, the hardest part was as the wheeled me down to the OR I started shaking and shivering and couldn't control it. I don't know if I was really that cold, or if I was nervous about the spinal. No problems with the spinal or anything, and soon Hudson was here and fine. He had his cord wrapped around his neck 3 times and once around his shoulder/ torso. No wonder he was having trouble, he was all tied up! His apgars were 7 and 9. After my dr. was done fixing me up he went to check on Hudson, and came back to tell us he was 9 lbs. 4 oz.! The nurses got me ready for recovery and wheeled me out. I hung out in recovery for about an hour while Hudson was in the nursery getting all his stuff done. Then they took both of us back to our room and I finally got to hold him!! And soon after, his older brothers got to meet him for the first time. They were much more excited about the presents Hudson had brought them. A couple hours later I started throwing up. That so was not fun. I don't react to Morphine well. I had trouble keeping anything down until later that evening. It was hard because everytime I held Hudson, it seemed I got sick. And the Zofran they kept giving me just wasn't helping. At midnight they took out the catheter and I was able to get out of bed, which was great! This c-section was so much easier than the last one. It didn't hurt nearly as much as the first, and most of the time I forgot to ask for pain meds. The next day we had a crazy snowstorm, so it was very quiet in the hospital and it seemed like Craig, Hudson and I were in our own little cocoon since no one could come visit. We were one of 2 patients on the floor, so it was almost eerie at times, the silence. On Sunday, both Hudson and I were released to go home. I am so in love, and now dh and I are considering a 4th. We love babies!!

Topic locked