Ugh. I don't even know where to start. This is probably going to ramble on a bit but I've got to get my thoughts out somewhere.
I'm not done being pregnant. My body isn't done being pregnant. I'm willing to refuse induction at 40wks as long as the NSTs/BPPs look good and my 'mommy instinct' is feeling good about everything. I'm not really worried about my care provider telling me he won't deliver me b/c he has to at least for 30 days. (I'm sure I won't go overdue 30 days. LOL) I know that walking into a hospital ups my chances of a c-sect. BUT I have no other options at this time. I know that walking into a hospital for an induction really ups my chances of a c-sect. thus the reason I'm ok with declining as long as everything look good. I guess my concern is this: Can a care provider refuse to do NSTs/BPPs and other 'regular' check up stuff if they have given you you're '30 day notice' to find another CP? I know they have to treat you if you walk in and you're already in labor BUT do they have to treat you if you refuse induction and you're not in labor? I guess that's really what I'm worried about. I know that being insulin dependent makes me at a higher risk for placenta failure. If that becomes a problem then obviously induction is needed. BUT I think that being induced with no warning signs is just as bad as walking in with a scheduled c-sect. ARGGG. This is so bittersweet. I'm NOT done being pregnant but I feel like I'm being forced into trying to go into labor on my own before 40wks or be faced with the real possibility that my OB is going to tell me to find another CP when I decline induction. Then I'll be left with not having proper care for my situation. I'm willing to do daily NSTs, (even though deep down I know that's really uncalled for), just to satisfy him as long as it will keep him from wanting to induce me without any real indications of a problem. Sigh. Anyone have any thoughts to help me figure this out?
I guess my concern is this: Can a care provider refuse to do NSTs/BPPs and other 'regular' check up stuff if they have given you you're '30 day notice' to find another CP? I know they have to treat you if you walk in and you're already in labor BUT do they have to treat you if you refuse induction and you're not in labor?
I have been following your story and wanted to comment on this.
You are correct, if you present to the hospital in labor they cannot refuse to treat you (that's an EMTALA violation with hefty federal fines for the hospital and docs).
A provider COULD refuse to order tests/monitoring (the hospital staff will not do it without an order from the provider), but it would be opening them up to more liability in my opinion. If something happened how could they respond to the fact that they refused to monitor you?
Your doc has to give you 30 days notice in order to drop you from the practice? Then they are responsible for caring for you for those 30 days.
Have you had this discussion with your doc? in your previous post your OB sounded fairly reasonable.
Some days he's super reasonable and some days he's power hungry. The last time we talked about an induction date it wasn't so pretty. However, now that things have calmed way down I could try to talk to him about it again. I'm just really worried that he's going to tell me to find a different CP and honestly, I can't find one near here that's as good as him. He's the best there is as far as letting me go as naturally as possible. Most other providers that I could have would just flat out tell me I had to induce at 39 wks and that they would not bother trying a Foley Cath. I guess I'm worried about losing the best I've got to be put in a worse situation. If that makes any sense?
Marjorie, I know you're really anxious and stressed about the possible induction and potential cascade of interventions, but if I were in your situation I'd try to focus my energy on the positive things in my control. The unknown is frightening but beyond a certain point you can't really effect change once you've already let your CP(s) know where you stand and what you will and will not consent to. If your baby looks fine it sounds like you can refuse the arbitrary induction. Spending additional time worrying about what ifs is only going to make the last few wks of your pregnancy miserable.
If it were me, I'd be taking lots of long walks, spending time on a birthing ball or simply squatting and doing other helpful positioning things (prenatal yoga poses or whatever), drinking RRL tea, having lots of sex, eating a clean diet, and doing everything in my power to have as healthy a pregnancy as I could.
If you don't have a health food or herb store near you, and don't want to spend for the Yogi or Traditional Medicinals tea ($5/box or so) I could mail you some red raspberry leaf (loose form) and you can make a tea out of it. I was planning to pick up some for myself tomorrow anyhow. Let me know (PM me.)
I totally 100% understand your feelings. I was there not too long ago!
Here is what I did in the days preceeding my spontaneous labor (to give you some ideas maybe?)
I did multiple fear releases with Hypnobabies. Letting go of my fears was a major role in helping my body relax and allow labor to begin.
I took EPO vaginally and orally daily. The night before labor, I took 1000mg orally and 2000mg vaginally.
I walked tons. But the night before labor began, I did squats and pushed a little bit during the squat every few minutes throughout the walk.
I saw a chiropractor the day before labor and had my sacrum adjusted.
I meditated and prayed (another way of allowing my body to just relax and accept whatever was to come).
I did all the techniques on spinningbabies.com to get baby into prime position (he was ROA at birth!)
About the induction, I know it's easier said than done, but try to put your energy in getting your body ready for labor and relaxing rather than tensing up about the what-ifs... tension and fear can really hold things up.
I'm sorry you're having so much stress over the situation. I don't know what the docs can and can't refuse to do. Has the CP already given you a 30 notice? If not, can you just play along for now but cancel the induction date when it gets closer. That way, even if they give you 30 days at that point, you'll still have plenty of time to have your baby. Take the nod-and-smile approach until you get closer and then tell him you refuse to be induced unless there are signs of a problem.
The other ladies are dead right about meditation, visualization, etc. If you are under stress, your baby is under stress. It will help calm you, calm your baby, and prepare both of you for labor.
Originally Posted by HopelessPoet
What is L6W?
L6W is a "last six weeks" vitamin that helps youru body gear up for labor. Here's a write-up I just copied from a website: For expectant mothers, the practiced Amish Herbalist, Elizabeth Schwartz, offers us this Formula for the assurance and reassurance of mothers-to-be. L.6W is used to ensure easy and quick delivery with a minimum of discomfort for mother and baby. This contribution to the herbal world of successful natural delivery and its practitioners, enriches not only the Amish Community but the larger community of all humanity as well. The object here is to take the L.6W daily during the last six weeks of pregnancy. Reproductive structures are nourished so they have the needed energy to work. With this Formula we also control bloating and its nausea by the inclusion of Angelica in the combination. The other members of this balanced herbal team are combined in such a manner as to orchestrate and rehearse the birth process, by preparing all systems to do their job as expected, when the time is here. COMBINATION: Blue Cohosh, Pennyroyal, Red Raspberry Leaf, Spikenard, Partridge Berry, Blue Vervain, Angelica.
I had a lot of cramping while I took the vitamin, but it was just my body gearing up for labor. I went 9 days past my EDD so it's pretty safe to say that it didn't make me go into labor early.