Hugs, Mary! That is awful! What a stupid wench for lying and using scare tactics. I definetly would wait as long as possible before going to the hospital. You don't want that mentality when you are in labor. You can do do it!!!! I am proud of you for being so strong! You are very dedicated to having your VBAC. You are paving the way for other women to have VBACS.
Lots of love,
Mary, I'm so proud of you for standing your ground, both with your doctor and with your husband. A woman I know did VBAC at home UC in her bathtub, and I believe she was post dates and her son was HUGE. Do whatever you need to do. Screw the establishment.
As far as I can find, the only 'increased risk' of letting a VBAC baby go past dats is that they will be slightly bigger at birth which may or may not increase the chances of a uterine rupture. But even that concern is negligible, I think you are 100% right for standing your ground.
I also think that her BS simply frightened your hubby and that his own research will reassure him better than anything you could say.
I'm so sorry your doctor is a scalpel happy idiot! And that your dh wasn't more supportive of you- I guess he was maybe just scared by what the doctor said? Hopefully you will have your baby soon, in the way you want to give birth. Good luck to you!
Oh, my, I'm so sorry your doctor tried that on you. Hopefully once your dh sees that she is wrong, he will be able to support you better. I aggree with pp, I think you should keep that appt, just so the doctors stay off your back. It doesn't man you have to go. And maybe your sweet babe will decide to come out before then anyway, and your doc wasted all that effort to scare you and dh for nothing!
So proud of you Mary! I feel bad for you for your husband's reaction - but I really thing he thought he was working in the best interest of you and your baby. He wants you to be okay and everyone to be safe, and obviously your doctor got to him. You hang in there.
Oh Mary, my heart and hugs go out to you--I more recently started coming on this board so I had not heard your story before. I had a c-sec because of a failed induction (and of course which I was not induced now) and now dilated past 1 cm after 12 hrs of cervical pill and 12 hrs of pitocin and then baby had problems. Well, the part that is similar to yours is--when the staples were taken out of my incision a week later, it opened and had to re-stiched--5 wks past birth I had a horrible infection and was in the hospital for a week and took 3 hours of IVs at home for 2 weeks after that and my incision took 4 1/2 months to heal after many visits to a wound clinic--I share all of this to say reading your story of your first birth put me in tears.
My dh is also in his 3rd yr of med school and many times I just want him to be my husband just like you said.
That OB sucks, I cannot believe they won't let you schedule your c-sec for when you want. I got to a large practice in southern jersey and I was told in my attempt to have a VBAC, I can schedule my c-sec for whenever I want which I am aiming for 42 weeks. Is it about liability with yours? Is there something you can sign to say you understand the risks, since they don't--ugh, girl I am praying for you and am here for you.
Mommy to Max (8/23/05) and Gracie (6/22/07)
So sorry you are going through this...it sounds like you handled both your doc and your DH perfectly! What composure you showed by being able to question the doc's "information" and assert your knowledge! What a great response to your DH to "do his research!" You should be very proud of yourself!
Keeping fingers crossed that all goes your way!
Thank you so much for your kind words...this is why I love this bopard so much.....there is so much support. Well, to update my dh has been doing research and cannot find anything to what the doc had stated....DUH! So he feels a lot more comfortable about going to 42 weeks. I on the other hand am finally starting to feel miserable. I have so much pressure and pain down there. I really do hope that this baby comes sooner than later so that I don't have to deal with the doc's office much longer. I am starting to have menstrual like cramps and clear discharge btu am unsure if that would help my cervix to thin out or not. I don't have the slightest clue what a contraction feels like but am hoping the menstrual like cramping is something.
I am going to fight till the very end. The doc made it seem like they weren't willing to budge past 41 weeks but we will see about that. Your story gave me goose bumps...I am so sorry that yuo had to go through that. I really do feel your pain.
Well, I am hoping things will continue moving along and I will keep you guys updated.
I have to say that your story gives me so much hope and strength in my own choice! Im Attempting a vbac after 2 c/sections and Face all those "reasons" at my last appointment! I will be watching your lodge with great interest! Wishing you all the best and smooth and uneventful VBAC vibes!!!! Good On you for standing by your choice!!