October Sweets Birthdates, Stats, and Birth Stories! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: October Sweets Birthdates, Stats, and Birth Stories!

  1. #21
    Super Poster Brillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004


    First let me start by saying it is ok to hate me. I, as the nurse put it, am the poster child for delivery.

    So on Tues. October 7th, I was having contrax all day but nothing real consistant. I lost part of my plug that afternoon, so I did know labor was coming. About 2ish I started to time them and they came 4-6 min apart for about 1-1/2 hour ish. So called Dr and of course they sent me to labor and delivery. Once there they checked me and I was 5 cm and very stretchy. Baby was still very high. Since I have a history of fast labors I was ther to stay. It was now 4:45. At 5:15 Dr came in and broke my water, to get things moving since I was't having any real consistant contrax. Checked again I was 7-8 cm in only about 1/2 hr. She called Dr and told him he should come back to the hospital. At about 6:30 I was complete but baby was still really high, so she said "Lets try a few pushes and see if we can move this baby down some. So 1st contrax I moved her down a little bit, second contrax again she was moving but still no real progess, so 3rd I was in my second breath (push) and I am not kidding 1/2 head head came out....It was panic at that point because it was just the nurse in there, so she was STOP PUSHING......YOU HAVE TO STOP. I did, my hubby was like "just breath hun....find your spot on the ceiling and just breath" The dr came rushing in no scrubs nothing. at that point she literally came out completely on her own. It was crazy. It was 6:48!!! Yes only 1.5 hours after my water was broke. She is perfect no cone head or bruising of any kind, 8lbs 13oz, 21-1/2" long! She has dark hair, just like I was hoping (which I have never had with the others) We decided to name her Stevie Elizabeth! I am doing great come home today. I did deliver with No meds again! Yeah! I have only been on Ibuprofen since delivery, no real bad cramping or anything.

    Ayla '93 Hunter '97 McKenna '05 Stevie '08

  2. #22
    Super Poster cccheer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    San Luis Obispo, CA


    Peyton Elliot was born 10/19 at 5:03 pm, 8 lbs. 8 oz. and 19" long!

    Labor was hard, it started as awful back labor early Sunday morning at home, I was admitted around 11am, and he was born 6 hours later! Contractions were really tough; they were every 20 seconds and about a minute long the whole 6 hours of labor! Since it was all back labor I couldn't walk and labor, I couldn't bounce on the ball and labor, and I couldn't lie down, every position hurt! I finally go in the shower and had Matt rub my back while the hot water hit my belly and it made things a little more tolerable. One thing's for sure I would never have made it through the birth process alone, Matt and my mom were both with me the whole time, and they helped so much! I made it all the way to 9 cm w/o getting an epidural, but I felt like I was dying by then and I was screaming and crying and shaking and all in all a huge mess and didn’t think I’d be able to push. So, I decided to just go ahead and get some relief and got the epidural, and it did nothing! I still was able to feel all the pain! I guess I'm one of those"lucky" few that the epidural has no effect on. The anesthesiologist came in to check it and decided to just try putting in another epidural, but
    before he could begin to put it in (he was all prepped and seconds away from sticking another needle in my spine), I said "I need to push!" So the nurse checked me and said, "Cassie feel your baby's head", so I touched down there, and he was crowning! So no need for the 2nd epidural, but I was feeling ALL the pain! I pushed for about 45 minutes but I wasn’t stretching enough so I had to have an episiotomy! I could feel him cutting my skin; it was the worst feeling in the whole world! But finally, I pushed out my Peyton and the second they put his body onto mine I started bawling, mostly from relief of the pain but also because I couldn’t believe I’d actually birthed a child! I wish someone would have told me that labor would be the most awful thing I’d ever felt in my life, I really had no idea that it would feel the way it did! My birthing classes had me thinking I was all prepared with my soothing music, birthing ball, and Matt's massage techniques....pshh yeah right! If someone had even mentioned that I should relax, be quiet and listen to classical music I probably would have thrown a bed rail at them! lol However, the outcome, my beautiful baby boy (who looks just like his Daddy) was so worth it! I'm so in love with him! We are doing great at home so far, breastfeeding is a little tough because my little man just wants to sleep after 5 sucks! But we had his first ped. appt last weej and they said he is doing awesome and his weight is fine, it must be because my milk just came in last night and now I have two inflated rocks on my chest in place of my boobies Good luck to all you ladies waiting on ur babes! I SERIOUSLY think though that each woman who delivers vaginally should be considered a national hero and have a SUPERWOMAN award given to them
    DH-Matt, married 07/25/2009
    DS- Peyton Elliot, born 10/19/2008
    DS- Henry Patrick, born 07/15/2010

    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  3. #23
    Posting Addict sfitzgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Aiden David's Birth Story

    On Friday 10/24, I had a hard time sleeping. I was on Preg.org until about 2:30am then finally went to bed at 3am. At 4:30am I woke up with sharp pains that felt like poop pains. I got up to go to the bathroom which I did, then went back to bed. 5 minutes later, I was in pain again. I think at that point I went on preg.org again to see if this could be labor or just normal end of pregnancy symptoms. I laid down again until about 5am then all of a sudden my back was killing me!! I was in a lot of pain in my back and at this point I woke up DH. I asked him if he ever got poop pains in his back - of course he couldn't remember . We both decided that if this was truly labor, we would wait until 7am to call the doctor - I was afraid it could be false labor. I got a shower since I read that most of your posts and was told if it truly was labor, a shower or bath wouldn't stop the contractions. I got out of the shower, went online to contraction master and my contractions were 5 minutes apart for 30 secs.

    So 7am comes, I call the doctor, have another bathroom moment and doctor tells me to go to labor and delivery. DH packs loads car and away we go!!! Get to labor and delivery, they check my BP - it's high of course - I'm nervous as all heck!! I get checked out and I'm 4cm dialated They said that most 1st time moms don't dialate to 4cm on their own without needing drugs so I felt a little better - but I wonder if they were saying that to make me feel better How in the world did that happen. The MW from my doctor's office wanted to do blood work and was going to send me home until I couldn't take the pain because I was talking through all my contractions. Well, BP didn't go down - hello - labor here!! They decided to keep me and gave me Pitosin at around 10:45am to make my contractions shorter and longer to help the process along. Found out baby was posterior which is why my back was killing me. At 11:10, I couldn't take the pain. I felt like I was going to pass out and was sweating so I asked for my Epidoral. Got that around 11:30am, which was a wonder drug. I felt so much better. The MW came in and I was 5cm dialated. She decided to break my water and this is where everything went downhill.

    Once my water was broken, they found merconium in the fluid. They put the prong in his head to hear the HB and it dropped from 130 to 90. DH and I were freaking out. I was moving to the left side, moving to the right side, people were in and out of the room monitoring me. Finally they found out my left side is the side that the baby liked and his HR would go up. So for about an hour I was laying on my left side.

    Then the doctor that I wanted to deliver my baby came in!!!! I was thrilled!! He's very laid back which is what I needed. I found out on Saturday he came in on his day off - I thought that he just came from across the streed and left some patients to other doctors. He checked me out and I was 9 1/2 cm dialated and baby was ready to come out. I just laid around until about 1pm to wait to start pushing and get the rest of the way dialated and effaced. My mom and dad came in which I didn't want. Kicked them out in a nice way called the nurse and told her I felt like I needed to push. It was hurting to not push.

    MW and nurses come in. Nurse puts Neonatologist on call (because of merconium. They told me he might have to go to NICU) called the nursery staff to get ready to clean baby up. I start pushing and baby's HR goes down every time I push but goes up after I stop pushing. They get my favorite doctor in here to see how I'm doing. He said he was giving me another 1/2 hour then vacuum would need to be used. Push a little more, he comes back in, I can't push anymore because I'm tired because I was pushing for 30 minutes straight (I know I tired out easily). Favorite doctor puts the vacuum in and at 1:51pm Aiden David was born. He weighed 8lbs 15 ounces and was 22 inches long.

    DH didn't get to cut the umbilical cord because of the merconium (they didn't want him crying or breathing in the merconium). Of course he cried, DH cried, I was just worried that he still wasn't ok. They cleaned him up, favorite doctor stitched me up for about 45 minutes - yes 45 minutes. They didn't get a chance for an episiotomy because of the need to push and HB issue and my little man tore me really bad (the nursing staff in post partum are like - oh you are the one with the really bad tear). I got to hold my little man about an hour after he was born and I am so in love with him right now.

    Thank you for reading this long story. Here's pictures of my little man

    Here he is on Saturday morning before his circumcision

    Saturday night while watching the Phillies Game

    Here he is waiting to go home and get his carseat approved - I love this outfit on him
    Married Dave 6/17/00
    DS Aiden 10/24/08

  4. #24
    Supporter YoungMomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Connecticut, USA


    On Thursday (10/16) at my doctor's appointment I found out I was 60% effaced and 3.5 cm dilated.
    On Saturday night (10/18 ) around 10pm DH and I DTD to get contractions going because with DD it worked like a charm. Sure enough I started getting contractions 3 minutes apart. Although, I wasn't really in labor because when I'd sit and relax they'd slow down. So, we walked and walked and walked.
    Around 3am on 10/19 I got sick of walking and the contractions were uncomfortable so we left for the hospital, even though I knew I wasn't in labor.
    When I arrived at the hospital they put me on IV fluids and laid me down and my contractions stopped (I knew they would) but they checked me and I was 5cm dilated so they admitted me! Since I was GBS+ they wanted me on antibiotics for 4 hours before I delivered so they started them right away and told me they wouldn't even consider breaking my water until after the 4 hours, so around 8am. Since my contractions had completely stopped I took a nap.
    At 5:30 am they started me on a little pitocin just to get some contractions going again and at 6am I got up to pee and my water broke! I progressed very quickly after that (I knew I would my labor with DD was only 3 hours) and by 7am I was 10cm. I had to wait for the doctor to arrive to push, which I was not happy about!
    The doctor arrived at 7:20 am and took what felt like forever to put his scrubs on. Finally I was allowed to push! Four pushes later at 7:26am Aralyn arrived weighing in at 6lbs 10.4oz and she was 19 inches long. It was a very easy and very quick labor, I'm blessed.
    Since she was born before the 4 hours of antibiotics we had to spend an extra day at the hospital but Aralyn's healthy!

    Here's some pictures, sorry I'm too tired to post them directly here so please follow the link:


    Thanks for reading!
    *~Kim~* (21)

    My Family -
    DH -
    DD -
    DD -
    & 3 cats, 6 rats, 9 dwarf hamsters

  5. #25
    Prolific Poster rebgrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    AB, Canada


    Unfortunately for me, Things did not go as planned... I really wanted to avoid interventions if at all possible, but that is not the way things worked out! Things took about 28 hours from my water breaking to Leah being born, so my story is pretty long!

    I got up to go to the bathroom at 4am on oct 21. While I was sitting there, I felt a pop, and a big gush. I was a bit shocked, because I was convinced I would be over due! I am gbs+, so we went straight in to l&d to get started on the antibiotics. I wasn't having any real contractions, so they sent me home in between courses of antibiotics, and told me to come back for more every 4 hours. We were back and forth to the hospital until 4pm, and labour still hadn't started, So they admitted me then. At 6pm, they started the induction.At 1am, they checked me and said I was 2cm. I was 2cm at my last dr appt on Oct 14, so I had made NO progress in 7 hours. By this time, the contractions had been really bad for about 4 hours. I was getting no breaks in between, so it was like one really long one for hours and hours. I kept refusing pain relief, because I really wanted to go natural. The nurses decided to stop the pitocin to see if I would go on my own, and for awhile I did, but then it started to slow down. At this point, they told me that I would have to go back on the drip, and suggested that I get an epidural, since the pitocin was so hard on my body. When they told me that I might start dilating if I could relax and take a nap, I gave in and got the epidural. I went to sleep for about 2 hours, and woke up about 4:30am, when I started feeling contractions again. They got worse and worse, and even though they topped up my epidural, it really didn't make a difference and I could still feel everything. None of the nurses could figure out why it wasn't working anymore. However, I was at 6cm, so I had finally made some progress! The contractions kept coming hard and very fast, until I finally reached 10cm at 6:15am. The pushing was awful... I had only 4 hours of sleep in the last 24hrs, and felt like I had nothing left. while I was pushing, Leah's hr started dropping, and the dr was talking about getting out the vacuum, and they had to do an episiotomy to get her out. I felt the dr cutting, even though the nurses kept pushing the button on my epidural to give me more drugs. She was finally born at 8:23am on Oct 22 (her edd!), 8lbs, 3oz. She had the cord wrapped twice around her neck, but still managed to start screaming right away. I held her for a few minutes, but then they took her away because I started hemorraging. I was really out of it and didn't know what was going on, but dh said he was really scared because they kept calling for other drs, and he heard them mentioning a blood transfusion. The bleeding eventually stopped, and after I was stitched up, one of the nurses tried to help me to the shower, but I passed out, and a bunch of nurses came running in to put me back in bed. We were in the hospital for an extra day because of my blood loss. Things really didn't go the way I wanted them to, but I have my daughter, and she is big and healthy, so it all really worked out.
    Leah 10/22/08
    Sidney 07/26/11
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  6. #26
    Posting Addict Sarah-Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Buckinghamshire, England


    On Monday the 27th October I saw my midwife at around 4:15pm for a 4th sweep. I'd pretty much given up hope that it would work though as nothing seemed to be shifting this little baby at all and I had no signs, except for lots of bloody show, that she was on her way! My midwife wasn't feeling very well so she just did a quick stretch and sweep and then left to go home. About 15minutes after she left (around 5pm) I had my first contraction! After I'd had a couple contractions in a row I decided to start up contraction master and time them whilst I was on the phone to my Mum. At that point they were coming every 7-9minutes or so.

    I called Martin upstairs and told him I thought something might be beginning and after a few more contractions decided to move downstairs. At this point, despite knowing they were regular and painful and we needed help getting the kids to bed, his Mum decided to go down the pub with her boyfriend. I can't say I was impressed at all, but really I was beyond caring as I was trying to deal with a lot of negativity, stress and then the pain as well.

    Martin called my midwife at around 7:30pm to inform her I was having contractions every 7 minutes or so and she told him to start filling the birth pool and inform her when things got closer together or changed in some way. Martin's Mum went out shortly after and my Mum came over which was a blessed relief for many reasons which I won't go into right now! At this point I guessed I was in this for the long haul as things didn't seem very strong to me compared to my previous labours.

    At around 10:30pm my midwife called and asked how I was doing and when she heard the contractions were around 5 minutes apart and stronger she said she'd come and check me over.

    Up until this point I was mainly just chatting and joking with my Mum and Martin. I also remember that I kept changing positions just to make sure the contractions would still come as I wasn't entirely convinced I was in REAL labour!

    At 11pm my midwife arrived and bought all her gear in and started setting things up and getting ready and also told her back-up midwife that I was in labour and informed labour ward at the local hospital "just incase".

    At around 1:15am on the 28th October I was really tiring by this stage. The contractions weren't getting more frequent, infact they were pretty irregular between 5-10minutes apart and not particularly strong anymore. I decided I really needed to lie down on the sofa and at this point the contractions stopped pretty much altogether.

    At 2am it was apparent my contractions had stopped and weren't going to restart for awhile. I was really upset and frustrated and tired but my midwife insisted that this was labour and I was having what Ina May Gaskin (sp?) described as a "Rest and be thankful" period. She suggested we all try and get some sleep and wait for them to restart. Martin set up a bed for the midwife in one room, his Mum went to her bed, my Mum and I both slept on a sofa and Martin slept on the floor. I quickly fell asleep, only stirring when I had a contraction. To be honest, I don't really remember them really disturbing me much as I was just so tired I barely woke up for them.

    Just before 4am I woke up with a really nasty contraction and the urge to push. I thought maybe it'd been a one off so decided to wait for the next one. It came and was much, much worse. I realised at this point that the pain was too much and the urge too strong. Something was finally happening! I waited for one more contraction and at that point I couldn't deal with the pain of them any longer. I need to get in the birth pool!!! No if's, maybe's or but's... I went to the toilet before I decided to wake anyone up.

    At 3:55am Martin went and woke my midwife up and got his Mum up... By 4am I was in the pool and feeling much better! My midwife called her back-up to come over. At around 4:10am I was in so much pain I needed entonox to get through the worst part of the contractions. My contractions were still really irregular but by this stage I was fighting the urge to push and they were really hurting...

    At around 4:25am the second midwife arrived and at 4:30am my waters broke midway through a contraction. It felt really strange, they've never broken that far away from the birth before and it just felt like she gave a little kick and then a bit of water came out. There wasn't a huge gush like everyone always talks about...

    At 4:38am we woke Tristan, Jaeven and Raistlin up and told them to come down if they wanted too. They were sleepy but all got dressed and came down to watch the birth. By this time I was really fighting the contractions. It had dawned on me that I was going to have a baby soon, and that involved pushing her out and I decided I didn't want to do it anymore so was fighting against the contractions and refusing to push as best I could.

    At 5am I had one massive contraction and could fight it no longer. My body gave me no choice at all and she was coming whether I wanted her too or not! I was really dreading the pushing stage for some reason this time, but in reality I didn't have to push at all. She was coming whether I pushed or not. I even put my hand down to try and stop her as I felt very panicked all of a sudden and was freaking out slightly and all of a sudden her head was out! Oh my god the relief!!!!!!!

    At 5:02am her body was born into my hands too. It became apparent at this stage that the cord was fairly short and it was tightly wrapped around her neck and her body. It wasn't a problem as such, just I couldn't pull her out the water whilst she was all tangled up and it was tight enough to be difficult to unwrap her so at that point my midwife stepped in to give me a hand. It took me, Martin and my midwife to get the cord from around her neck and body and finally I got my first cuddle!!!!

    She is absolutely beautiful. I was so worried about having another big baby as Lacey-Rose had looked really strange at birth and for a few days afterwards but she's gorgeous and not at all bloated! I got some great photo's too of my labour, the birth, the placenta... I'm dead pleased with how the whole thing went!

    So the main stats as my midwife listed them are;

    Liberty-Hope born 28th October 2008 at 5:02am
    Weight was 9lbs 7oz
    Apgars were 9@1min, 10@5mins, 10@10mins

    Latent labour - 11 hours (from 5pm 27th Oct until 4am 28th Oct)
    1st stage - 1 hour
    2nd stage - 2 minutes
    3rd stage - 18 minutes

    Total active - 1 hour 20 mins
    Total was latent - 12 hours 20 mins

    On a seperate note it snowed the day she was born... It's so unusual for it to snow here in October that I can't help but think that's a good omen for her life!

    I'll add some of the less gory photo's in the next post!
    Last edited by Sarah-Jean; 10-29-2008 at 05:13 AM.

  7. #27
    Posting Addict Sarah-Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Buckinghamshire, England


    Me, midway through a contraction.

    Trying to untangle her cord so we could lift her out the water!

    First cuddle!

    The boys having a closer look.

    Me and my birth partners! Midwife, MIL, Tristan, Jaeven, Martin, Raistlin and my Mum!

    Just after I got out the pool.

    Me and the boys who were there for the birth!

    Raistlin's first cuddle!

  8. #28
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008


    I want to write something of a birth story, but my memories of the labor are quite fuzzy. I do remember pushing and her birth clearly at least. On 10/7/08, which was my due date, I started slowly leaking fluid around 5 p.m. I wasn't sure that my membranes had ruptured, because it was a very slow leak and I had gone in to L&D once before for leaking fluid which turned out to be nothing. I called my MW, who said I could either go in to L&D at that point or wait until morning to see if I'd go into labor on my own. I decided to go ahead in so that they could start the cervadil that night and take advantage of the extra time before I would need to deliver in order to avoid infection. We ate some dinner and went over to the hospital around 7 p.m. We arrived at L&D, and the rapid test for the amniotic fluid was negative. I felt so silly, especially since I'd been through that before already, but then the official lab test came back positive. I was pretty excited, since I knew then that I would be having the baby within the next 2 days.

    When I arrived at the hospital, I was only having the same BH contractions I'd been having for the previous couple of weeks, and I was a fingertip dilated. I hadn't been checked prior to that point. The nurse inserted the cervadil, and DH and I just hung out for a bit, reading and watching the candidates debate. Around 10 p.m., I started having stronger, more regular contractions. I tried to go to sleep around that time, but the contractions kept me awake. I got up and we walked the halls, I sat on a birth ball, and listened to some music. The contractions grew steadily closer together and stronger, and I was thinking that I was going into labor and would be able to avoid pitocin. In the early morning hours, the contractions were around 3-5 minutes apart and had gotten painful. At 5 a.m., it was time for me to get up and shower before they started the pitocin. Showering turned out to be very painful and difficult to manage during the contractions. When I got out of the shower, I felt shaky and my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. I was hopeful that I had progressed well over night.

    My MW came to the hospital at around 6 a.m. and checked me. I was only 1-2 cm dilated. I was so disappointed, because I thought I was much farther along. I was tired from being up all night, and I found the contractions then to be painful, and I couldn't imagine getting through much more painful ones later on. She started the pitocin then and said that I should eat some breakfast. At this point, my memory gets kind of hazy. Shortly after she left, I decided that I wanted some pain relief. I had been hoping to have a natural birth, but had been open to the idea of having an epidural if it seemed like a good idea at the time. I had a nubain shot around 7 a.m., which helped dull the pain of the contractions and allowed me to get a bit of rest. I also ate a few bites of breakfast, but didn't feel like more that that. At around 9:30 a.m., I started feeling very nauseous and shaky, and the pain of the contractions was intense once again. I was trying to breath through them, but it wasn't working for me. One of the OBs in my MW's practice stopped by to check on me, and after meeting him I immediately vomited. Nice way to great someone, right? He came back a bit later and checked me, and I was still only 2 c.m. Even though I was leaking fluid, there was still a lot intact, and so he broke what was left of my water. I was disappointed that I was still not progressing. I got sick another time, and the contractions became more painful for me. I decided around that time to get an epidural. I had a lot of trouble staying still during the procedure, but it wasn't actually too unpleasant, and went in quickly. The epidural worked really well, and I started feeling much better after a short time. I was then able to sleep, which was a relief after not sleeping much at all the night before. Around 11 a.m., the nurse checked me and I had progressed to 6-7 cm. I think the epidural helped me to relax and let the labor progress quickly. They called my MW, but the doctor had told her I wouldn't be needing her before 1:30 p.m., so it took her a while to arrive. When she got to the hospital at about 12:00 p.m., she checked me and I was complete. They turned the pitocin back up (they'd turned it down since I was progressing quickly and she wasn't there) and I was ready to push.

    I actually really liked pushing. It was hard work, but so rewarding. Even with the epidural, I could feel a lot of pressure from the baby moving down, and I still had the urge to push during contractions. I also had some measure of control over my legs, so I was able to move them into pushing positions. I pushed for a little over an hour. The atmosphere during the delivery was so warm and positive. My DH, my mom, MW, two nurses, and two nursing students were all there. I wound up needing a small episiotomy. My MW was concerned that without it, I might tear forward. The baby was facing the wrong way, and she turned during the last couple of pushes. We were surprised when her head came out that the cord was around her neck pretty tightly. Her heart rate had been accelerating during contractions rather than decelerating, so my MW didn't expect the cord being wrapped around her neck. It didn't cause any problem fortunately. After her head came out and the cord was cut (because it was around the neck), I pushed again and the rest of her body emerged.

    She scored 8 and 9 on her apgars. I got to hold her right away for a couple of minutes, and then the nurse took her to work on her for a bit while the placenta was delivered and I was sewed up. She nursed right away. After a while, she and my DH went to the nursery for her bath, and I stayed and recovered a bit from the epidural. We went to our postpartum room shortly thereafter. She roomed in and DH stayed over too.

    Although the labor didn't go as I was expecting, I feel really good about it and am just so happy that the baby and I are both healthy. I had been hoping to avoid having a lot of interventions, but wound up with cervadil, pitocin, antibiotics, IV fluids, nubain, an epidural, and an episiotomy. I'm glad I was flexible going in, because I think that given the situation they were all good decisions.

    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

    12/06, 04/11

  9. #29


    Keira Julianne
    October 21, 2008
    7 lbs. 14.5 oz
    21.5 inches long

    I was finally able to sit down and write out Keira's birth story. It is very long, but it was important for me to sort of get it all down on paper to have for her. So here goes.

    So it starts with me catching a cold on Saturday. I was taking Reina to a b-day party at Chuck E. Cheese and within the span of 3 hours I went from one little sneeze to full blown runny nose, sneezing and sore throat. Along with this I started to itch very badly all over my body. I found the itching weird and actually went to the Internet to look up itching in late pregnancy. Time and time again I have told myself to not look for medical advice on the internet because it only freaks you out, but there I was and what came up was info on something called Cholestasis. This is when the liver doesn’t process bile correctly and leads to itching and can lead to complication sin the pregnancy, including a higher risk of meconium in the amniotic fluid. To be safe I called Labor and Delivery and they said it sounded like an allergic reaction to something and to take Benedryl (Cholestasis tends to show itching only in the hands and feet). I took some and it relieved the itching for about an hour, then it came back. By bedtime that night, I was really sick and in terrible pain because of my throat and going crazy with the itching. I tried desperately to sleep, but managed only about 2 hours that night. I called L & D again at 2am to make sure this was not something more severe. They assured me it all sounded normal but that I could come in if I wanted to. I decided against it and tried to sleep, but to no avail.
    So I was dead tired Sunday and just miserable. I asked my mom to come and take Reina for the day so DH could finish working on her new room and so I could try to rest. I managed to take 2 separate naps of about 2 hours each, loaded up on fluids, and by about 4pm had managed to have the sore throat get much better. My mom and stepdad brought Reina back about 5pm.
    At 6:45pm, I started to feel some contractions, but didn’t get too excited, because I had had some on and off for weeks. After 20 minutes, they seemed fairly regular so I started timing them. Sure enough they were about 3-5 minutes apart lasting about 45 seconds. After 1 hour I called Labor and Delivery. They said to go ahead and come in. So DH and I got ready to go. My stepdad came back and got Reina (she was a little confused why she was going back to Grandma and Papa’s house when she had just came back from there – but she was such a little trooper and just went with the flow). My mom followed us to the hospital and we made it to L & D about 9:00pm. Labor continued in the car on the way there, but the contractions were not super intense and I could talk through them, so I wasn’t sure that this was really it.
    So they got me started with paperwork and then put me in an observation room to monitor me. The contractions were coming in 3-5 minute intervals, lasting about 45 seconds, but after a pelvic I was still only a fingertip or about 1cm dilated (which I had been the previous Monday at my doc’s appointment). So they were going to let me be monitored for 2 hours, take a urine sample and check again for any progress. So DH, my mom and I were in this tiny room and just talked and watched the monitors. Two hours passed and another pelvic check showed I wasn’t progressing. I had a few high blood pressure readings during the two hours, but nothing too alarming. So they were sending me home as soon as the urine test came back (the lab was having some issues with all tests that night).
    Well the lab came back positive for protein. At my previous appointment I had high BP readings and protein. So the doc came in and we discussed that it was looking like there were some borderline symptoms of pre-eclampsia and since I was already in pre-labor, it was her opinion that we try to do an induction and that my body would be favorable to one since I was already starting to labor on my own. Her concern was that pre-e can come on very quickly and that she wouldn’t feel comfortable sending me home. The drawback to all of this is that with pre-e and induction you must go on a medicine called magnesium sulfate, which helps to regulate the BP and prevent seizures and other effects of pre-e. The side effects are an onset of a flushed/hot feeling during the initial dose and then a general feeling of being sort of “out of it”. The other drawback is that you must stay on it for 24 hours after delivery and must stay on bedrest. DH, me and the doc discussed the options and the pros and cons, and decided to proceed with the induction.
    They moved me to an L&D room and at 4am, they inserted a Foley catheter in my cervix and inflated a saline filled balloon. This was to help jumpstart labor and to let my cervix “naturally” get to 3-4cm before starting Pitocin. It was a bit uncomfy and I had some contrax right away so I could feel it working, but after a few hours the contrax sort of died out. The nurse said the catheter would simply fall out when my cervix got to 3-4 cm. I also had blood drawn for some more tests. So the hours passed, I could still get up and use the bathroom and all in all I was just getting bored and wanted things to start. Keira’s heartrate was perfect through all of this. My BP was fluctuating, but never was too high. But one of the blood tests came back with some elevated numbers based on my liver function. The doc cam to talk to me and asked me questions about how I was feeling. I went over the entire weekend with her, the cold and the itching, and believe it or not, she said that along with the possibility of pre-e, the fact that I had itching as I described along with the blood test numbers, that I could very well have the condition of Chloestasis. So whether it be pre-e or this Cholestasis, the remedy is to simply deliver the baby – no need for emergency c-sec or anything, and the induction should proceed, but there was no doubt at this point that Keira needed to be born soon so these issues could all be resolved.
    At 4pm, the nurse tugged on the catheter and out it came. So this is when everything started moving. By 4:30pm I was hooked up to IV fluids and the Pitocin. It started working right away on the lowest setting of 2 and I stared contracting regularly and stronger, but completely manageable at that point. At 5:30pm, I was hooked up to the Magnesium, and while it was weird to go instantly hot (I assume its what a hot flash is like) it too was manageable. So I labored for a while, the nursed turned the Pitocin up to 4 after I slowed a bit, and then the contrax started coming in clusters. Because I have had a previous c-sec, they need to be careful and let the uterus contract not too quickly for fear of uterine rupture. So they went back down to 2 for a while and then up to 4.
    So for the next 3 hours or so I continued to labor with the contractions getting a bit more intense and them clustering which means they 3 to 4 contractions were coming virtually back to back. I breathed through them and was handling it all fairly well given I have virtually no sleep. Breathing had to be done only through my mouth since I was all stuffy from the cold. At about 8pm my water broke. I was in the middle of a contraction and felt a pop right in my pelvis, then about 30 seconds later another pop and then the waters released. At 9pm the contractions were stronger and I asked for some phentenol (sp?) to take the edge off. It did, for about 10 minutes and then the contractions started coming with a vengeance. At 10:15pm, they checked me for progress. I was only 4 ½, still 75% effaced and a +1. This was not what I wanted to hear. I just knew that I could not endure the contractions for several more hours. I was tired and in pain and I could tell they were only going to get more intense since I needed to progress some so I decided to ask for the epidural. The nurse anesthetist was called and was already on the L&D floor, so within 20 minutes he came and inserted the epi. He started explaining about how it worked and to push a button to add a dose if I felt I needed it, but honestly at this point I was a bit out of it, the contractions were intense and I just didn’t get most of what he was saying.
    I was lying gone my left side for the next 20 minutes (this puts us at about 11:30pm) and they were testing to see if the epi was working. The contractions were getting stronger and I could feel everything and I could feel things start to panic inside of me a bit. All I kept thinking is how many stories I had heard that the epi was like this amazing relief from the pain and I was upset that just wasn’t happening for me. It was only partially working, so they asked to move over to my right side. Every time I tried to roll over another contraction would come and pain would radiate down my right leg and I would have to stay on the left. They then called the anesthesiologist back to the room to try to adjust the catheter. By the time he arrived I was in horrible pain. He tried adjusting it while I was getting through a contraction. It was at this point I was almost certain that I would end up with a c-sec because I just couldn’t see my body handling this level of pain for much longer. As well as the fact the baby’s heartrate was starting to decelerate with each contraction. They were watching this very closely.
    Again they tried to get me on the left and then the largest contraction yet hit and I could feel the pain all the way through my bottom. I was telling the nurse this who immediately got on the phone to the doc. The doc was in the room within a minute had me roll on my back and did an internal. I was completely dilated, 100% effaced and –2 station. I had gone from 4 ½ to complete in a little over and hour and a half.
    Then the room was full of activity as the nurse broke down the bed and started talking me through pushing. My mom and DH were on either side of me helping. With every push I was making progress. They put me on oxygen and I focused on getting her out. I push for about 35 minutes and then the doc and student doctor came in as Keira was right there. They had me feel her head. They put the monitor on her head to watch her heartrate. For the next 15 minutes I continued to push her slowly down as the doc massaged my parts to get them to stretch. Then the internal monitor lost her heartrate, they were trying to reposition the external one and I could see the concern on the docs face. She looked right at me and said, “You will push with everything you have and will get her out on the next push.” My mom had stepped aside and the nurse was there holding my other leg. I pushed with all I had and I felt the doc literally take both of her hands and open me up to grab her head and pull and then told me to stop pushing. The cord was wrapped around her neck twice and the doc had that off in seconds and then I pushed and delivered the rest of her at 12:40am.
    She was immediately placed on my chest and started whimpering and gave a tiny little cry. No big roar but music to my ears none the less. The pediatrician then took her to check her because she was a little blue. Turns out she was perfect with AGPAR’s of 7 and then 9.
    I was utterly amazed I had done it. I delivered the placenta and got stitched up (2 second degree tears) all while watching them take care of Keira and get he cleaned up and into daddy’s arms. It was such a different experience from the c-sec and will probably be the single most amazing night of my life. We breastfed within the hour and she latched so well from the get go. We were moved to a Mother and baby room by 3am.
    The true downside to this whole thing was having to be hooked up to the magnesium for 24 hours after birth and be on bedrest. I was not allowed to eat or drink anything for the entire 24 hours. I was hooked up to IV fluids but I was so dry and cotton-mouthed from breathing through the contractions and the magnesium makes that worse that I didn’t think I would go 24 hours without a drink of water. So I was allowed about 2cc’s of water or ice by mouth every hour and they turned down the IV fluids to compensate. Man that was so hard!!!
    But in the end, all was well. I just feel like I was put a day behind by having to stay hooked up to that stuff for a full day, but better safe than sorry. The physical recovery has been a bit slower than I thought it would be. But I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything.
    I know this was long, but I really wanted to preserve all of it for later. Thanks for reading.

  10. #30


    October 31st, 2008 at 9:40 AM
    7 lbs 7.5 oz, 20.5 inches

    Birth story:

    Our beautiful baby girl was born on October 31, 2008 at 9:40 AM. She was 7 lbs 7.5 oz and 20.5 inches long. I only labored for about 7 and a half hours! The contractions that I thought were real labor contractions on the 27th actually petered out. At our appointment that Thursday, our midwife told us that I was right on the brink of labor, and about 3-4 cm dilated. We decided to not sweep my membranes, and that I would go back on Monday for a sweep if she wasn't here by then. Well, at 2 AM that Friday, I woke up because my contractions were really painful and about 11 minutes apart. I timed them for an hour and a half, and then when Tim woke up to check on the dogs (they were barking), I told him I was having really painful, strong contractions. I tried to sleep between them, but they were too intense at that point for me to keep lying in the bed. So I told Tim I wanted to get up, and he brought my birth ball upstairs. I sat on that, in our darkened bedroom and labored like that until it was time to go to the birth center! Tim stayed up with me the whole time, and we talked and read together (I used a small flashlight so I wouldn't have to turn on the lights). At some point, they started getting painful enough that I asked Tim to provide some counterpressure on my back and that was really helpful. We also took a shower at around 6:30 AM, and I just sat on my birth ball and let the hot water pour over my belly. I was in great spirits, and I felt like I would be ready to go to the birth center in about an hour, so Tim called his parents to let them know (his dad was going to come over to watch Nick). He also called the midwife, Judy, who told us that Lesley (our other midwife) was the one on call and would meet us at the birth center at about 7:45 AM. I kind of felt like that would be cutting it too close, although at that point logically I felt like I would have a much longer labor. It's so cool and strange how your body just knows when to go! Well, after getting everyone situated (Nick woke up at 7:30 AM), giving Tim's dad directions on what to do with Nick, getting the car loaded etc. we got to the birth center around 8:10 AM. Lesley was there waiting for us, and since we were the only couple there, I got to choose the pink room to labor in! Lesley checked me and I was at a 5.5 with a bulging bag of waters. I had to have some monitoring done, and it was SO painful to have to lie there in bed while my contractions were about every 4-5 minutes! Ow!!! Thankfully, we only had to have that done for about 20 minutes and then I was able to get in the tub. The contractions were soooo much more manageable under water! I started to feel them coming closer and closer, but no one thought I was progressing as fast as I was. I remember feeling like I wanted to just be left alone, so I asked Tim to not touch me or look at me during my contractions. When they came, I felt like I wanted to cry, but I would just lay my head on the side of the tub. I did this for about two or three contractions, and then I turned to Tim with my next one and just lunged at him! I hung my arms around his neck and he just instinctively knew I was past my "don't look at me or touch me" phase, and started doing his coaching again. I think I must have hit transition around this time because I felt tears coming down my face, and I said, "I don't know how much longer I can do this, baby." He held me and told me I was doing great, and I was going to be able to do it, and we would be meeting our little girl soon. My contractions at this point were right on top of each other, and it was so intense! I just remember feeling like, "Oh my God, how much longer?!" And then I also started to feel pushy. I told Lesley and Cheryl (the nurse), and Lesley said it was probably my bag of waters wanting to pop. Soon the pushy feeling got stronger and stronger, and I was pushing with every contraction! I had only been at the birthing center about 30-45 minutes at this time, so Lesley didn't realize that I was pushing. I was on my hands and knees in the tub, and I remember looking up at her and saying, "I'm going to need coaching on how to push." She said, "Okay", because she thought I was saying WHEN I push, not that I was pushing right then! But Tim asked, "Do you feel like you need to push?" And I said, "I AM pushing!" So Lesley checked me, and I was at an 8 cm and 0 station. She said, "You still have a little bit of cervix left", but immediately, I felt like I had to push again and I started to do it. So she had me get into the pushing position (my arms wrapped around Tim's legs, with my torso against his), and yep, I was complete! She coached me amazingly well, and Maya started to descend! I pushed for about 10-15 minutes, and I knew I was making progress because I could feel the intense pressure of her head! And suddenly, Lesley was saying, "Here she is!" And Tim said, "Oh my God, look baby, here she is!" I looked down, and there was a gorgeous little baby emerging from me, into the water! They picked her up and put her on my chest, and she just curled up against me, all pink and sweet. She didn't even cry, she was just so content to snuggle! I was laughing and crying, and they said, "Here's your beautiful baby girl!" And Tim was saying, "She's here! There she is!" And the nurse said she looked just like me. We held her like that for a while, and when the cord stopped pulsing, Lesley asked who wanted to cut the cord. Tim didn't want to, but I did! So I got to do that for her. After that, Tim and Maya went over to the couch to snuggle and warm up, and I got helped out of the tub to go deliver the placenta. Lesley checked me over, and I didn't even have one tear that required stitching! I had a laceration, but it was minor and they didn't do anything to it. Such a difference compared to Nick's birth where I had to be stitched up for an hour!

    The whole birth was about 7.5 hours from start to finish, with transition and hard labor only lasting a few minutes. If I had to write a birth story out for myself, envisioning the perfect birth, this is exactly how I would've written it. The whole experience struck me as so entirely peaceful, there is nothing I would change. We just murmured and whispered through my contractions - there was no yelling, no screaming, no loudness at all. I whimpered through some of the harder ones, and of course grunted through the pushing, but everything was just so calm and quiet with our music playing on the IPod. It was amazing in every way.

    Breastfeeding is challenging because Maya has a hard time latching, but the second time around I knew what to expect so we are working on it! I just keep in mind that it will get easier and easier as time goes on, and that there is a learning curve that we have to get used to - both of us. We have her first pediatrician appointment on Monday!

    Nick is adjusting to her well, although he is showing some signs of jealousy, especially because for the past two days he's been hanging out with his grandparents more than with us while we get adjusted to having her in the house. He also likes to go up to her and touch her and pull on her clothes, but doesn't like it when she squawks in her newborn way. I think he's going to be a great big brother once he gets used to her!
    I can't wait to see us all unfold as a family of four. It has been an amazing past two years, with two pregnancies so close together! Now life has truly begun for us all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions