October Sweets Birthdates, Stats, and Birth Stories! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: October Sweets Birthdates, Stats, and Birth Stories!

  1. #31
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006


    We are adopting a little guy who was born in October. We brought him home from the hospital when he was 2 days old. So far he's healthy and doing great!

  2. #32


    Isabelle Anne
    October 25, 2008
    10:02 pm
    7lbs, 19 1/2 inches

    On Saturday I started having contractions around 1pm. They weren't too bad, just uncomfortable. They started getting closer together and by the time Bob got home from work at 5pm they were about 5-6 min apart. I tried to convince myself that I wasn't in labor, that if I went to the hospital they would stop and I'd just look silly, so we went to Fred Meyer to pick up a few things. After walking around the store a bit my contractions were about 4 min apart, but still not bad. Bob finally convinced me to at least call my doctor, who of course told me to come into the birth center.

    When I got there they confirmed that yes, I was having regular contractions close together and I was about a fingertip dilated. They called my dr, who decided to go ahead and perform the c-section that night since my contractions were just getting closer. So we started prepping for the c/s. They checked me again about an hour later and I was dilated 2 1/2 cm, so my contractions were definetly working!

    We went into the OR around 9:30. The spinal went in pretty easily and didn't hurt at all. I started getting a little nervous about everything, so I focused on breathing really slow and steady, which definetly helped. My dr. was also talking and making little jokes which really helped me relax.

    Isabelle was born at 10:02pm. When the dr. opened me up she found that Isabelle wasn't breech- she was transverse! She was lying sideways with her feet on the left side and her head bent up on the right side. With the way she was wedged in there she probably never would have been able to turn.

    As soon as they had her out they lifted her above the screen for me to see and she immedietly spit blood all over me lol.

    She is such a sweet little girl and has a head full of thick dark brown hair, she's so gorgeous! Nursing has been wonderful, she's a very hungry girl and has a great latch- she seemed to know what to do right away. She also loves her daddy so much, she calms down whenever she hears his voice and one of her favorite things to do is cuddle with him .She cried whenever one of the nurses changed her diaper at the hospital, but if Bob did it she would just stare at him quietly the whole time.

    My recovery is going well, I haven't needed too many pain meds. Getting up on Sunday and walking around really helped me feel better.

    Caleb is adjusting to his baby sister, at the hospital he just ignored her and focused his attention on more exciting things like the curtains and my juice .I'm sure he'll get used to her eventually, right now he just seems confused about who she is and why we brought her home with us.

  3. #33
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    San Diego, CA

    Default Gianna Sophia's birth story...

    So, here it is, finally! I went for antenatal testing on Friday the 24th at 1:00 pm. Luckily, Todd went with me. I was 40 weeks and 4 days. I thought everything was good, but as I got up to leave the nurse said she wanted to check with the Dr. on something and to wait in the waiting room. So she called me back after a few and said that they noticed a "D cell" (???) meaning that the baby's heart rate had dropped when I had a contraction and they wanted me to go to L & D right away to have some additional testing. She let me know that there was a possibility of induction so I asked if it was ok to stop at home and get my kids who would just be getting out of school. She said I could if I was quick. We stopped by the house, grabbed the kids and a few things and headed to the hospital.

    At the hospital, they looked at the record of my earlier testing and were sort of puzzled as to why I had been sent in, they didn’t really think there was a problem. So they started the testing and noticed that the baby's heart rate was high. They kept me hooked up to the monitors and didn't notice a change so I was admitted. They gave me an IV, hoping that this would lower her heart rate. We started talking about induction. I was hoping to have them break my water instead of pitocin. Unfortunately, when my midwife checked me she said I was still 3 cm and 50% effaced but the baby's head had moved up (!!) a bit from -1 to -3, so she said that they wouldn't risk a prolapsed cord by breaking my water. They made the decision to start the pitocin. I was disappointed because being induced meant that I couldn't deliver in the birth center and would have to be monitored constantly throughout the labor and delivery, but of course we wanted to do what was best for the baby. Ironically, just after they made the decision to induce, her heart rate dropped down to normal. Oh, well.

    We were told that the pitocin could take hours to start working so Todd drove the kids home. The nurse said that I would probably deliver sometime in the early morning; I didn't think it would take that long, but didn't say anything. They started the pitocin at about 6:45 pm. The nurse said I started having contractions right away that were 6 mins apart, but I didn't begin to feel them for about a half hour or so and then they were really mild. Todd got back to the hospital around 8, just when I was starting to feel real contractions. I remember saying then that if we were at home that was the point where I would consider myself in actual labor and would leave for the hospital. They started to get more painful and I asked to be checked around 8:30. I was 5 cm and 100% effaced. After she checked me and left, the contractions got really intense and were right on top of each other. I was freaking out a bit b/c I was only 5 cm and couldn't imagine dealing with that much pain for hours! A little before 9 I started screaming for the midwife and everyone started scrambling. I was sitting on the edge of the bed and my water broke. I knew it was happening very fast and the midwife told me to get into the bed. I was definitely losing it at that point, saying that I couldn't do it. She reassured me that there was so much pain b/c I was very near the end. I started to push on the next contraction, but held back a breathed through a bit so I wouldn't tear. With the next contraction I pushed out her head, took a few breaths and then delivered the rest of her. She was born at 9:09, a little more than an hour after I would have considered myself in "real" labor! She was 8 lbs, 12 oz and 21 1/2 inches long. Her apgars were 8 and 9.

    In retrospect, it's actually good that I was induced, because an hour and ten minutes would have been cutting it close to get to the hospital and I would have been freaking out in the car. I'm sorry that I didn't get to have the birth center experience and had to be hooked up to an IV, two monitors on my belly, one on my finger and a blood pressure cuff (!!!!) through the whole labor, but I am just so happy that she's here and healthy. I am really enjoying every minute because I know that this will be my last baby. She is just perfect!!

    Just born...
    Brand new

    With Daddy...

    With big brother...

    With Mommy and Daddy...


    Autumn (16)
    Devin (12)
    Gianna Sophia 10/24/08

    Gianna in Maui

  4. #34
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Pascagoula, MS


    Andrew Michael was born October 20th at 11:28am. He was 7lb 11 oz and 21 inches long.
    Amber Starr 9/8/97
    Allyia Nicole 5/28/03
    Andrew Micheal 10/20/2008

    Lilypie Maternity tickers

  5. #35
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Jul 2005


    We arrived at the hospital at 7.30am on Wednesday morning and got checked in etc. my OB arrived at 8.30am and decided to skip the prostin gels he had promised- I think as I was already in early labour he wanted to just get the show on the road. Needless to say I was kind of petrified at this stage as I was banking on the gels doing the trick. So he broke my waters and then the midwife started the Syntocin drip. Holy moly that stuff kicked things into high gear- and I was only on a tiny dose (3ml?). Contrax started coming hard and strong every 2 minutes. By 11am I was feeling really spaced out and sick. The midwife said I could get the epidural in an hour if I felt I needed it, but to give baba a bit more time to move down. DH was feeling quite helpless at this stage and I was just trying to get through each contraction. By 11.15am, I started vomiting. It seems thats how my body copes with pain, the same thing happened in labour with Ailbhe So when the midwife saw this she was happy enough to ring the anaesthetist!!! The joys of being in labour in office hours, epi was in by 12.45 and fully kicked in shortly after. By 3pm, I was fully dilated! We chilled out for another wee while as bab's head was still quite high. The epi was turned right down and I started to feel everything again. At 4.10pm I started pushing and the midwife called my OB at 4.40pm- his rooms are in his house across the road so he was straight over Baby was fairly slow to come out- probably due to my fear- but at 4.52pm RĂ*an Aindreas was born. He was blue so got whisked over to the warmer. He weighed 4170g or 9lbs3oz and was 53cm or 21 inches. No wonder he was causing me so many pains when he moved!!!! I had no stitches as I only had a graze- after my 7lber Ailbhe ripping me to bits last time so its true that the pudgier babies are easier to birth I think!!!
    I'm BFing and just waiting for my milk to come in now on day 3. My nips are killing me and letdown makes me shriek, hopefully it will be easier when the milk is in properly. He was 3840g on discharge so he didn't lose too much weight in hospital. RĂ*an is super placid so far, and Ailbhe is thrilled to bits with her brother!
    Oh, the only thing I will say as a second time mammy which is worse than the first time- holy afterbirth pains batman
    RĂ*an is pronounced Ree-an and is the Irish for Ryan, meaning little king so now we have a Diva and a King, aren't we lucky!!!!!
    Here's some piccies!

    Birth: 9lbs3oz, 53cm
    2 weeks: 9lbs
    4 weeks: 9lbs6oz
    6 weeks: 9lbs8oz, 57cm
    8 weeks: 9lbs11oz
    10 weeks: 9lbs15oz
    12 weeks: 10lbs2oz, 61cm
    16 weeks: 10lbs6oz
    17 weeks: 10lbs11oz
    18 weeks: 11lbs
    Last edited by gooler; 02-28-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Ailbhe, May 2006
    Rian, October 2008

  6. #36


    hi i havent been added. freya charlotte was born on oct 27th weighing 8lb 3oz

  7. #37
    Mega Poster Nataloves4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Portland, OR


    Last edited by Nataloves4; 08-23-2010 at 01:43 PM.

  8. #38
    Mega Poster heatherliz2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008


    Okay, so I am obviously posting this waaaaaay after the fact. Nearly two years after, to be exact.

    Two years ago today... September 25, 2008 was my due date. I had a doctor's appointment that day (which in my mind was adding insult to injury since I was obviously still pregnant and sooooooo ready to have this baby). There was no change from the week before. I was 1cm dilated, 75% effaced, and the baby was very low, at -1 station. I was so frustrated that I was no closer to having this baby that I went out to the car and bawled my eyes out.

    I really wanted to avoid induction, c-section, etc. I really, really wanted to have a natural birth. I had practiced relaxation techniques, I had a doula, etc. But the doctor I was with at the time (and most doctors in this area) would only let me go one week past my due date. So the whole week between my due date and my induction date, I did everything I could possibly think of to get labor going. Nothing. Maybe one contraction. Maybe.

    So, at 11:00pm on Wednesday, October 1 2008 we arrived at the hospital so that my induction could begin at midnight. We were pretty nervous, being first time parents and all. We got checked in, got to our room, everyone was very kind and helpful, and by midnight or a little after they had inserted whatever they used to ripen my cervix (I forget what it was... cytotec, maybe?). They told us to get some rest. My husband (after complaining about how uncomfortable the pull-out chair was) went to sleep. I couldn't sleep, so I lay there listening to my ipod. The cytotec did start some contractions, although for my entire labor they had a very difficult time picking up my contractions on the monitor. My father in law (who is an OB) thought this was odd because he with my body build it should have been easy, but that was what happened, so what can you do?

    At some point in the wee hours of the morning I heard a terrifying sound. The sound of my daughter's heart rate (on the monitor) dropped suddenly and drastically. My nurse came in immediately and started checking things out. I couldn't get my husband to wake up, and it was just really scary. My nurse called my doctor, who suggested that the nurse reach up inside and tickle the top of the baby's head (may I just insert that this was possibly the most painful part of the entire childbirth experience). That did the trick and her heart rate returned to normal. But now I was freaked out, and very frustrated that I couldn't get my husband to wake up and to grasp the seriousness of the situation. So at that point I had him call our doula (who is also a family friend) and let her know that it was time for her to come. She would have come to the hospital with us in the first place, but I had told her she might as well get some sleep and wait for labor to actually start. I think she arrived at about 5am, but I'm not totally clear on that.

    Unfortunately, maybe around 6am? Not sure on the time, but there was a staff change, and I got a new nurse. She was the only person that I didn't care for during my hospital stay. Everyone else was beyond wonderful. Anyway, she started me on pitocin. I was nervous about this since we had the decel scare a few hours earlier, but she dismissed my concerns. Everything continued just fine for a while, although the contractions were definitely more intense. The pitocin caused me to have tetanic contractions (one continuous contraction instead of a rise and fall), so that was less than fun to do with no pain meds, but I was handling things okay, and sitting on the birthing ball helped.

    I think it was around 8:30 or 9am my doctor came in and broke my water. The contractions (or should I say contraction, since I was having one continuous one?) became very intense. For the next several hours, I was in a lot of pain, and we had several more instances of the baby's heart rate dropping. The would roll me from side to side, give me oxygen, pump me full of IV fluid, etc. to help her, and each time it came back up, so they allowed me to continue laboring. At one point, they all ran into the room saying that we had to go to a c-section immediately, but then her heart rate came back up and they said everything was okay to continue. Looking back, that should have been my clue to opt out and go for a c-section, but hindsight is 20/20. At some point during this time the nurse that I didn't like was called in to help with a c-section (it was a VERY busy day in L&D), so I got a new nurse who I liked much better. That was definitely a blessing!

    At about 1:30pm, still having tetanic contractions, I finally gave in and asked for epidural. I had been having one continuous contraction for about 8 hours at that point. About 20 minutes after getting my epidural, the baby's heart rate dropped again, very low. Nothing they did was helping to bring it back up, and it was terrifying. We were losing her. Apparently my blood pressure also dropped really low at this point (I have a tendency to low blood pressure and had been setting the alarm off on the machine every time it checked me and it wasn't a big deal, but husband said this time it got REALLY low and they were concerned). So they prepped me at lightning speed for an emergency c-section. They left my husband behind because he couldn't get the O/R gear on fast enough. I had about ten people around me (including the director of L&D) running my bed as fast they could to the O/R. An O/R team was running down from another floor to meet me because they already had a c-section in progress and we definitely could not wait for them to finish. It wasn't until I got into the O/R and the anesthesiologist started talking to me that I realized they were putting me under general and I wouldn't get to be awake for my daughter's birth. It also made me realize exactly how much of an emergency this c-section actually was.

    It was probably best that I only had about 30 seconds to panic about this before they knocked me out. My husband wasn't allowed to be in the room since they were putting me under general anesthesia. They had the baby out in about 30 seconds. Her 1 minute apgar score was a 2. But praise God, they got her "jump-started" (as my doctor put it), and her five minute score was a 9. She was 100% fine after that. While they were sewing me up, they allowed my husband to come in and see the baby. He got to carry her to the nursery. Then he went outside to get some fresh air and completely lost it. He pulled himself together, called both of his parents (they're divorced), and then called my parents. He lost it again while he was on the phone with my mom and they cried together. He thought he was going to lose both me and the baby, and the relief of everyone being okay was too much to handle.

    So I woke up from the anesthesia and the only person in the room with me was the nurse (they wouldn't allow anyone else in until I was awake). I closed my eyes and when I opened them again my doula was with me. I asked where my husband was and she said he was getting some fresh air. He walked in and his face was GRAY. He looked awful. In fact, that was the first thing I said to him... kind of funny considering that I was the one who had been up for about 34 hours, gone through 13-ish hours of labor, and just had major surgery. He knelt down by my bed, put his head on my arm, and promptly lost it all over again. Poor guy! So in my groggy state I think I asked something like, "do I have a baby?" and my nurse immediately called the nursery for them to bring her to me.

    So about an hour/hour and a half after she was born I met my daughter, Caitrin Elizabeth. She was 7lbs 6oz and 20 inches, born at 1:54pm on October 2, 2008. And she was MAD that she had not yet been fed! The hospital staff were wonderful and very supportive of breastfeeding, so they hadn't given her formula because they knew I wanted to nurse her as soon as possible. She had a great latch, a very strong suck (ouch!) and did great right from the start. I was sore for a while at the beginning, but my milk came in quickly and she nursed great up until her first birthday, when she decided she was done and weaned herself.

    The word thankful doesn't even begin to explain my feelings concerning my daughter's birth. I am SO thankful that we were both okay. And I'm thankful that I healed well and quickly from the c-section. But just because I had a healthy baby, doesn't mean that her traumatic birth didn't effect me. I had post traumatic stress syndrome, in addition to the typical "baby blues." I had nightmares about hearing her heart rate drop for months afterward, and I had to mourn the loss of the birth experience I had wanted to have. I had never, in a million years, anticipated not being awake for my daughter's birth. I am still so sad to have missed that moment, even while I'm thankful that they were able to get her out alive and healthy.

    Even after two years, I get extremely emotional when I think about her birth and how it all happened. But mostly I'm just grateful that she's here and healthy, and that I'm here and healthy with her! Now we are planning to start trying for number 2 very soon, and I am hoping to have a natural VBAC. Although I really do like my OB, I have found a practice of nurse-midwives who will let you go two weeks late if need be, and I think I'm going to go with them for my second attempt. It is scary and exciting to think of going through this again. My prayer (aside from everyone being healthy) is that I will be able to be awake for the birth of my second child. We only plan on having two, so this will be my last chance to actually experience the birth of my child!
    Heather & Andy 6/8/02
    DD Catie 10/2/08
    DS Ronan 9/6/11


+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions