Honestly, I'm really frustrated. People keep calling to see if there's any news, and of course, there hasn't been. My fil called this morning to see if anything was happening, and he and my mil are watching DD #1 when we go to the hospital, so what made him think that we wouldn't call him if something was going on?!?
The dr's office also called and said they have a spot open for an induction for tomorrow morning if we wanted that one instead of waiting till' Monday. My dr. is making me get induced Monday because she doesn't want her patients to go past 41 weeks. I know it's MY body, etc., but I just never thought I'd be making this decision. DD 1 was 3 days early, and everyone assumed that this baby would come early too.
My dr. is also not on call this weekend and so if they baby comes this weekend, then I'm stuck with someone else that I don't know and that doesn't know my birth plan and may or may not agree with it like my dr. does.
I am just stressed. I want my baby here so we can move on with life. I just feel like everything is on hold. But, I also don't want an induction just for convenience sake. Help!!!
Do you have an extra copy of your birth plan? I had a midwife and they kept it in my chart. It was great. I didn't even have to say anything it was just followed. If you don't decide to get induced then I would just give an extra copy to the nurse to follow.
It's in my file at the hospital, and I have an extra copy in my bag for the hospital.
Come out baby! come out! We've had several ladies have their babies right before the scheduled inductions. Don't give up hope yet!! I hope you can come to a good decision or that you don't have to make a decision and the LO decides to make an appearance. :bigarmhug:
I hope this is it for you soon!! I know you must be stressed. I was "scheduled" for an induction with my second (at 40 weeks!), but thankfully I went on my own a few days before. If I did get to induction day though (and everything was fine w/ baby), we were going to "forget" to show up. We had lots of sex, walking and spicy food and he finally came out on his own! I hope you are making some progress.
Well, we've been walking again. We'll DTD tonight. I'm trying to stay positive here, but it's getting frustrating!!!
Gosh sweetie, you're getting hit from all sides, aren't you? I can't believe how positive you're staying. I'm very proud of your persistance. I honestly would sit back, and try to relax this weekend and just save up all your energy for Monday's induction. If you go on your own, then great, but try to enjoy the time with DD and unplug the phone.
Ugh. I'm supposed to call the dr. today and let them know if I'm going to go in. I think at this point DH wants me to so that I don't risk not getting my own dr. as she's not on call this weekend. She told us to come in around 8 if we wanted, but DH hardly slept, so I know that 8's a no-go. DH has to go back to work on the 1st, so I really didn't want to wait till Monday cause then we'd only be home for like 2 days before he goes back to work. By work, he' a pilot, so he's out of town... I think it'd be a little different if he had a "regular" job and worked 8-5 or something, cause' at least then he'd be here at night to help put DD 1 to bed, etc. Why does this have to be so hard?
Jenny :bigarmhug: IMO, I would go for the induction. I set up an induction as my dd was a week and a half overdue and I was more relaxed knowing it was set day and I didnt have to stress about when she would come. Mind you, knowing that, I was so relaxed she decided to come on her own. I know its your body and your choice, its just a thought.
oh, Jenny, I feel your pain! My second was 10 days late and that was a nightmare. But we didn't talk induction until 42 weeks with my midwife practice so I wasn't in the same shoes. When's the last time you had a check? Just wondering how dilated you might be. You can take different forms of induction, and maybe avoid the full out Pitocin. But with your DH's schedule and the desire to have your own doctor, maybe an induction would be the most sane route but then you control the birth after that (as much as you can, if that makes sense)
thinking of you!
maybe if you go in they can induce you in another way besides pitocin, I wouldn't want to be by myself overnight with a baby that's a couple days old and a 2 year old either. If it makes you feel any better, I got through a pitocin induced birth with dd with no other drugs. Good Luck with whatever decision you make. (((HUGS)))
I think we have a plan! I'm thinking that if baby's not here by the ed of today, then we'll go in early tomorrow. Gwen, I was 4-5 cm and 50% effaced at my appt. on Monday, so I think I might have them break my bag of waters to see if that starts labor. That way I could still avoid pit. It depends on baby- she was still not engaged and I don't want to risk cord prolapse, so if she's not engaged, then I think we'll have to go pit. I'm eating lots of fresh pineapple right now and trying everything under the sun to get her to come on her own. I do feel a little more crampy today than usual, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Sounds like a plan! Sometimes it's just nice to have one, even if it isn't the one we really want, isn't it?
4-5cm is great!!!!! I wouldn't opt for the AROM but only because I don't like the "clock" that starts ticking from that point on. It really limits your other options because you're always focused on the timing of things rather than if they're doing any good. I think I'd opt for the Pit and see if some augmentation can get things going. But that's me.
And who's to say I wouldn't decide something else if I were actually facing this choice. It's easy to armchair quarterback, I know.
Big hugs. I can't imagine the stress this must be adding.
ETA: one more point about AROM and Pit. If AROM doesn't do the trick and you end up having to do Pit anyway, they'll likely be more painful and intense without the extra cushion of the bag of waters. Furthermore, LO doesn't have any cushion from the contrax either. And though I don't have any research to say definitively, I think a lot of decels and trips to the OR for emergency c/s could have been avoided by not doing the AROM until a last resort. Just my two pennies.
I think the water breaking would depend on your current dilation. I agree with the PP about the clock ticking, but I don't think you'd rush into it either, especially if the baby's head isn't low enough.
thinking about you!
Good point about the clock- and the cushion. I had thought about that part. Maybe we will just do pit and see what that does. Thanks so much for the support ladies- I really need it right now and haven't been getting from my IRL friends and family as much.
Good Luck Jenny! Hope you have a wonderful birth! Can't wait for pics and a story.
Big Hugs! Jenny!!!!:bigarmhug::bigarmhug::bigarmhug:
Just curious if your doing better today? Here's to hopeing your in labor:)
I have a feeling were going to be updated with exciting news! (i checked the activity of your account and it says you were last on yesterday at 11:something am, yes I am a stalker lol) I hope everything is going great and you have your little girl safe and sound!
Hey sweetie. Just checking to see what you've decided. I really do hope that you're holding a new precious baby soon! ELV for you today!
We're either going in to the dr. or the hospital to see what's going on. "Contractions" if that's what they are didn't wake me up last night, but I've had two in the past half hour or so. They're not really painful yet.
GL. I hope you get good news.
Saying a prayer for you.
ELV as well. Let's not forget those.
well, at least something's going on. Hope your holding your liitle girl soon.
Jenny, did you go in yet? Are you holding a beautiful baby yet?
Sending you ELV! I hope this is it for you!
Sending you lots of ELV!
I was lurking on the july board and found this!! http://www.pregnancy.org/bulletinboards/showthread.php?t=357636
Congrats Jenny I can't wait to read the story and see pictures. Is it another red head???
I just saw that too! Congrats and cant wait to hear the story. Hope all is well
Congrats on your new DD! WTTW!
Congratulations!! Welcome to the world Finley!
Welcome Finley!!! I am so excited to see pics! Congrats Jenny!!!
Can't wait to hear your story. Welcome to the world Finley!
Yay congrats! Welcome Finley! I can't wait to hear about the birth!
Hi everyone! We're home! I'm tired, and they think I've got a kidney infection so DH is on his way to get an antibiotic that the dr. called in for me. I'll post my birth story later and more about our homecoming.
BF'ing is the biggest challenge right now- I'm in excruciating pain for the first 1-2 minutes of each feed and then it gets better. My nipples are cracked and bleeding already. The lactation consultant wasn't at the hospital Friday afternoon or today, so I'm gonna call her Monday.
Anyway, most important is that we are here and Finley's healthy and happy.
Congrats! Can't wait to read your story, and see your pics! Rest up, and I hope your kidney infection is gone!!
Congrats Jenny! I had the same problem when I started BF. The lactation consultant totally fixed it. I didn't have enough of the aerola in her mouth and wasn't pulling her to me and was instead leaning into her. I hope you get help soon. I know it is a little toe curling those first few minutes.
Congratulations Jenny and welcome Finley!! Hope the BFing gets easier for you.
Ugh, stupid kidney infection, those are awful! I hope you feel better soon - nipples, kidneys and all! Seeing the LC may be a very good idea, I think. My bf-ing problems have somewhat resolved but if they hadn't that's the place I'd go. It's not worth it to continue on in pain for too long with breastfeeding, it just makes every feed more frustrating!
Birth Story of Finley Anne (finally July 25, 20088 lbs. 14 oz. 19 inches long14 inch head My doctor’s appointments had been going well all throughout the pregnancy, and this continued into the 9th month. I am always curious as to how much I am dialated and effaced so I got checked at every weekly appointment from 36 weeks on. I started at 1 cm and 30% effaced at 36 weeks, and by 40 weeks (which I never thought I’d see since DD 1 was early) I was 4-5 cm and 80% effaced and measuring 39 weeks. My doctor had me schedule an induction for that next Monday when I’d be 41 weeks, which I never planned on going to if it came to that. So, Friday the 25th came around, and still no baby, although I was having increasing back pain and some mild cramping that increased toward the days end and with activity. Tim and I decided to go ahead and go into the hospital that morning since I was having cramping and at least get things checked out since my doctor wasn’t on call over the weekend. I was afraid I’d have a doctor I’d never seen before, and my doctor and I had agreed on my birth plan with very little interventions so I wanted that to happen. I told the nurses that I was having “decreased fetal movement” and wasn’t sure if I was having contractions. The baby was moving fine, of course, but my doctor told me to say that so they’d take me seriously. I was assessed in triage, and was 6 cm dilated and having contractions every 5-6 minutes. The baby wasn’t very reactive, so they decided to keep me there and augment my labor. I was moved to a room and had an IV started and then pitocin was started around 10:30 am. The first setting did nothing, and so my nurse upped the dose once. This kicked things off and the pitocin dose was never upped again. I was glad for this as I wanted as natural of a process as I could get. The contractions were still in my back at this point, so I tried changing positions and using my birth ball to get the baby to move. I was sitting in a rocking chair and then two nurses came in and had me lie down in bed on my left side and put an oxygen mask on my face. This was about 11:30 or so and DH had gone to get lunch in the hospital cafeteria so I was all alone. The baby’s heartbeat had dropped into the 50’s and wasn’t coming back up. It stayed that way for about 3 minutes, and then finally came back up. We think that’s when the baby finally changed positions from posterior to anterior because after that episode I felt all of my contractions in the front like I did with my first labor. About 15 minutes later, I needed to go to the bathroom, and my nurse told me no because they wanted to keep the baby on the monitor even though she was doing fine at this point. I made the nurse call my doctor and my doctor and I talked on the phone and she was fine with me going to the bathroom and then staying out of bed as long as they could monitor the baby from the position I wanted. So, the rest of my labor I stood up and swayed back and forth through the contractions. I told the nurse around 12:50 or so that the doctor better be pretty close by because I was going to be ready to push soon and that things would go fast. My doctor got to the room about 1:00 and talked with me throughout the rest of my labor, letting me go through contractions as needed. DH let me lean on him which helped ease the pain. About 1:05 or so I felt the urge to push enough to get into the bed. My water still hadn’t broken, so the doctor checked me and said I had just a tiny lip of cervix left. I let her break my water so things would go faster and we saw meconium. I was disappointed that my baby wouldn’t be put on my stomach, but understood that she needed to be suctioned. I pushed for about 10-15 minutes and out came Finley! I could tell that she weighed more that her sister, who was 7 lbs 1 oz. The nurses took her and suctioned a lot of fluid out of her lungs while I had my one 2nd degree tear sewn up. DH held her first and then brought her to me after the placenta was delivered and we had our first breastfeeding session. All in all, I don’t know if I’d change anything about her birth, but DH and I are both all for a homebirth next time!
Well, now that I've finally gotten my birth story up, here are some pics:
In the delivery room after our first feeding:
Meeting Big Sister:
At home in her cloth:
What a positive birth story. I'm glad you got to avoid a full induction. Enjoy that baby.
Aaaww, my Amelia had that same onesie! brings back memories. She is so cute and chubby! What does big sister think of her?
And I cant believe you are already talking about next time!!
She's beautiful!!! I hope our daughter comes out all sweet and chubby like that! Congrats!
I love the pics!!! TFS your story!
Glad to hear you didnt have to have a full induction. She is absolutely beautiful, TFS!
What a nice story Jenny, and things did go pretty fast. I can't believe you were 6cm and not sure if you were in labor. She is beautiful!
so happy to finally read your story, I have been wanting to know all what happened. sounds like it went very smoothly - that's awesome that you were already 6cm when you got there. love the pictures, what a sweet baby girl. and seeing Peyton meet her is so cool.