Sweetheart Arrivals and Birthstories
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Sweetheart Arrivals and Birthstories

  1. #1
    Mega Poster Clarkton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Sweetheart Arrivals and Birthstories

    Welcome to the world February 2011 Sweethearts!!

    I'll update this thread with our arrivals names, birth dates and stats. I'll try to keep up with the arrival announcements as they are posted but please PM me if I miss your arrival.

    Also please add your birth stories as a post on this thread. No comments in this thread please, turn off your siggy and don't forget:


    Dec. 29th
    Danielle's (daniellec.parker)
    Alaina Claire born at 6:04 pm, 5 lbs 9 oz and 18” &
    Aiden James born at 6:05 pm, 5 lbs 6 oz and 19”


    Jan. 24th
    Karen's (captainswife)
    Brandon Isaiah Vincent born at 6:22 am, 7 lbs 2 oz

    Jenna's (jleo22)
    Adeline Rose born at 1:29 pm, 6 lbs 5 oz and 19.5"

    Laura's (lola2010)
    Bennett born at 11:43 pm, 6 lbs 9 oz and 19.25"

    Jan. 25th
    Cassey's (casseyny)
    Anthony born at 12:54 am, 5 lbs 8.5 oz and 18.75"

    Jan. 27th
    Brandy's (stargalaxys23)
    Bentley James born at 9:19 am, 9 lbs 4.5 oz

    Jan. 30th
    Laura's (laurameadows)
    Elijah born at ?, 6 lbs 2 oz and 20 1/8"

    Jan. 31st
    Rae's (raekrasko)
    Lucas born at 12:09 am, 9 lbs 5 oz

    Kourtney's (KourtneyLavy)
    Miyah born at 10:36 pm, 6 lbs &
    Jaylen born at 10:38 pm, 6 lbs 8 oz


    Feb. 1st
    Janae's (mommy.nae)
    Delcan born at 1:23 am, 8 lbs 6 oz and 20"

    Feb. 2nd
    Brandie's (BigRed79)
    Claire Cathryn born at 6:35 pm, 9 lbs 13 oz and 22"

    Feb. 3rd
    Lynn's (Clarkton)
    Ryne James born at 6:09 am, 7 lbs 4 oz and 21.5"

    Christina's (lynettea76l)
    Scarlett Christine born at ?, 8 lbs 13 oz and 21.5"

    Feb. 4th
    Rochelle's (Charliesmommy)
    Elena Margaret born at 2:11 pm, 6 lbs and 19"

    Brandy's (ryzbat512)
    Chase Thomas born at 5:59 pm, 8 lbs 8 oz and 20.5"

    Feb. 5th
    Grace LaNette born at 1:03 pm, 7 lbs and 20"

    Cassi's (Soren11golf)
    Addisen Ann born at 2:29 pm, 8 lbs 10 oz and 21.5"

    Feb. 9th
    Jenny's (scubaj43)
    Canon Clay born at 3:32 am, 8 lbs 5 oz and 20.5"

    Melissa's (kramsgirl)
    Sawyer Cole born at 10:03 am, 8 lbs 6 oz and 20"

    Feb. 11th
    Sarah's (Shummel)
    Teresa Joy born at 10:27 am, 7 lbs 6 oz and 20"

    Dusti's (newtomom)
    Clara Lynn born at 4:32 pm, 8 lbs 2 oz and 20.5"

    Feb. 13th
    Adina's (dinzy)
    Saphira Nava born at 3:04 am, 8 lbs 14 oz

    Feb. 14th
    Jenni's (gypsy86)
    William Joseph Jr. born at 6:36 am, 8 lbs 11 oz and 20"

    Melissa's (Melissa1223)
    Jackson Henry born at 1 ish pm, 9 lbs 2 oz and 21.5"

    Michelle's (MichelleBell)
    Sheldon Patrick born at 5:08 pm, 5 lbs 11 oz and 19.75"

    Feb. 16th
    Noah Alexander born at 8:19 am, 7 lbs 5 oz and 19"

    Kimberly's (MILFbound)
    Baby Boy born at 1:30 pm, 10 lbs 13 oz and 21.5"

    Feb. 17th
    Erika's (m3773a)
    Evelyn Reese born at 7:26 am, 7 lbs 10 oz and 20"

    Abby's (loveemom)
    Cidney Simms born at 11:45 pm, 6 lbs 14 oz and 19"

    Feb. 18th
    David Mikel born at 2:37 am, 6 lbs 13 oz and 18"

    Feb. 20th
    Lauren's (LaurenE)
    Malia Claire born at 6:20 am, 7 lbs 2 oz

    Feb. 21th
    Betsy's (pnkin)
    Emma Mae born at 6:12 am, 6 lbs 8 oz and 19.75"

    Feb. 24th
    Kat's (tigrrlily8 )
    Gwendalyn Terese born at 1:24 am, 7 lbs 10 oz and 20"

    Rachel's (momto3toB)
    Hazel Sarah born at 6:13 am, 8 lbs 1 oz and 21"

    Joanna's (woelfelyojo6)
    Eloise Elizabeth born at 10:04 pm, 7 lbs 6 oz and 20"

    Feb. 25th
    Deanna's (dreamer1980)
    Ireland McDonough born at 7:03 pm, 8 lbs 1 oz

    Feb. 28th
    Mary's (marymoonu)
    Calvin Michael born at 7:39 pm, 6 lbs 8 oz and 18"


    March 1st
    Ashleigh's (ashleigheg12)
    Cailyn Ruth born at 8:58 am, 7 lbs 3 oz and 21"

    March 2nd
    Gillian's (momagainsoon)
    Lauryn Rose born at 1:25 pm, 8 lbs 7 oz and 19.5"

    March 3rd
    1st time mummy's
    Jack James Chesley Leslie born at 7:02 am, 7 lbs 8 oz and 20"
    Last edited by Clarkton; 03-16-2011 at 02:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Mega Poster daniellec.parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009


    We started counting contractions the evening of Wed Dec 22. After talking to my OB I took a warm bath to help, and continued to monitor frequency and intensity. I fell asleep at some point, but woke up later on unable to fall back asleep. I was awake and on the computer for several hrs before returning to bed. Once I got resettled in the bed, the contractions became even more frequent—from about one every 20 min to one every 5 min or so. (Just as a reminder, I had been given the first of two steroid shots for the babies’ lungs that morning…) Dr. Stella tells me to go to straight to L&D.

    There they hooked me up to monitors, gave me the 2nd steroid shot, and started me on magnesium to slow the contractions down. As it turns out they had increased in frequency to one every 2-3 min. By around 11 I was still having contractions every 5 min or so. However, I hadn’t dilated at all. They increased my dosage of mag, and the waiting game continued. I was told that once we reached 34 weeks that they would no longer attempt to prevent labor. So after that initial 24 hrs to give the 2nd steroid shot a chance to do some good, we were waiting for the contractions to pick back up and for me to reach a dilation of 3 cm.

    There were several times when we thought that I was going to get to go home. Contractions would pick up for a while, but ease back off after a few hrs—never saw any progression. Then on Saturday I started to have problems breathing, and my oxygen levels were falling down to around 90. On Sunday they did a chest x-ray and found out I had pneumonia.. fun!

    Late Monday, early Tues my blood pressure started to rise and my swelling got really bad. After 24 hrs of collecting my urine for a protein test, I was diagnosed with pre-e on Wed morning and the c-sec was scheduled for that evening at 5:30. Ultrasounds had shown that Alaina was still breech, so I wouldn’t have been able to attempt a vaginal birth anyway... So I had aprox 6.5 hrs to prepare myself the rest of the way for surgery and the arrival of our little ones.

    I won’t go into too many details… but let’s suffice it to say that one the anesthesiologists (there were 2) wasn’t a very nice guy and made me cry when I went back to get the spinal block. They had to try several times, but were having problems because I couldn’t arch my back enough—the belly was too much in the way. Not very pleasant at all, let me tell you. But once DH got into the room, I was feeling better.

    Alaina was born at 6:04 pm and Aiden at 6:05, on Wednesday December 29, 2010 at 34 weeks, 5 days. DH cut both cords. I remember shaking so bad, but being so happy to hear them both crying for the first time. The anesthesiologist that was rather rude earlier redeemed himself a bit by being the one to take the pictures of us with the babies. He was the one doing the directing of where to place the babies and everything. So that was nice. I got to touch Alaina and give her a kiss before they were taken to the nursery. (At the time I thought it was Aiden because of what the guy was saying… But pictures tell a different story.) DH asked me if I wanted him to stay with me or to go to the nursery with the babies. I told him that I’d be fine and that I would rather he go (to be there for their weighing and everything). Alaina was 5 lbs 9 oz and 18” long. Aiden was 5 lbs 6 oz and 19” long.

    I’m really not sure how much time passed, but before too long my little group of friends and family that had been waiting were in the recovery room with me. Heath brought in Alaina and laid her down on the bed next to me, and then went back to get Aiden. Everyone was telling me how good of a daddy Heath was already being. He kept jumping back and forth between the two while in the nursery – not wanting to spend too much time with one and not the other. He even put Aiden’s first diaper on – so they were all impressed.

    Family and friends stayed around for about 30 min, and then it was time for me to try and breast feed. Being that they were premies, I didn’t get to do skin to skin right away because they wanted to make sure their body temps stayed up… It was a challenge to get them both to latch to say the least. The swaddles got in the way – especially with how badly I was still shaking.

    They kept the babies in the nursery for the first night and day, bringing them down the hall to us when it was time to feed them. They were healthy from the beginning and never showed any signs of underdevelopment/weakness. I somehow managed to feed them enough for them to have wet diapers and all, even though I felt like they weren’t getting anything during our nursing sessions those first few days. By Saturday my milk had come in, and I had to ask for a breast pump… Glad to know that my body was able to provide my two beautiful babies with everything they both needed after having arrived so early.

    I have to say that it wasn’t easy at all those first few days at the hospital. I was still fighting the pneumonia and pre-e, on top of dealing with recovery from the c-sec and all. I couldn’t get comfortable in the beds, so no rest for me. I’m still fighting high blood pressure and MAJOR swelling. I’m very sore and V-E-R-Y tired. I think I’ve had less than 10 hrs of sleep the past 3 days… I find myself falling asleep sitting up.

    Getting pictures onto the computer and typing this birth story has been challenging. But I’ve been dying to share it all with you ladies. It’s been a ride to be sure. But it’s all been worth it. I love these two little sweethearts more than I could possibly have dreamed! Now I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of all of the other sweethearts and getting to know them as well!

    And now for the pictures!

    Here's my very last belly pic. One of my best friends took it about an hr before they were born. Notice it's no longer round, but square.

    At Weigh in:

    First Family Photo:

    In the nursery:

    Mommy and Babies: (The first was taken about an hr after birth with Alaina. The 2nd is me with Aiden on day 3.)

    A picture of the 2 of them together in one "bed":

    Going Home (Day 4):

    Close-ups: (Alaina is first)

    Day 6:
    Last edited by daniellec.parker; 01-15-2011 at 08:37 PM.

  3. #3
    Super Poster lola2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    BC, Canada


    Sorry about the length. I have a writing problem lol.

    I went to my 38 week (and 2 days) appointment on Monday January 24. Much to my doctors surprise I was still pregnant. She checked my blood pressure, baby’s heartbeat, and my belly size. Everything looked great. She asked if I wanted her to do another membrane sweep. I said sure why not. She hadn’t done very much when she paused and said, “Whoops, I think I just broke your water.” My water broke all over the exam table, and went everywhere. She rechecked baby’s heartbeat and he was still doing great. She told me that my cervix was about 3-4 still, same as last week.

    I asked the doctor what do I do now. She asked about my GBS status and I didn’t know, so she checked my chart and it was positive. I was sent across the street to the hospital for monitoring and to get the antibiotics started. This all happened around 11am.

    When I got to the hospital, they didn’t have any rooms available for me yet, so I went and sat in the little lounge, and watched TV, trying to move as little as possible. I didn’t trust the pad to hold much leakage. I got into a room and into a bed by 12:45. I was hooked up to the monitors. I had some contractions pick up, but they were still super weak. I was then started on the antibiotics. Once that dose was done, the nurse locked my IV, disconnected me, and told me to stay on the floor. Back to the lounge I went to pace and watch some TV.

    DH came up to the hospital about 2:30 after tying up some loose ends at work. Then we started doing laps around the floor to try and get things going. I also tried to have a nap. I had my second round of antibiotics in there too. Contractions still weren’t picking up.

    The nurses changed shifts at 7:30pm and my new nurse came into the room. She told me that the OB on call was getting a little worried about lack of progress and being GBS positive. She said that the OB wanted to call my doctor and discuss inducing labor. I was upset, asked some questions, and waited to hear what my doctor said. I really didn’t want to be induced as I have heard nothing good about oxytocin and the level of pain. I was really hoping to deliver as natural as possible, and I was scared that my dreams of that were going to be shattered.

    At 9pm, the nurse came in to start the induction at the lowest level. Instantly the contractions got stronger on the monitor, but I wasn’t feeling them. My nurse suggested walking around, or lying on my left side. I tried walking, got nothing, and then tried lying down on my left side. WHAM!! Contractions hit me and they were intense right away. That was 9:15. At 9:30, the nurse came in to turn up the level of oxytocin. I felt like in needed to pee, and with some help from DH, I made it to the bathroom. The contractions were so intense, and on top of each other. I was sitting on the toilet crying so DH got the nurse. They got me back to bed and my nurse started running the bath for me. DH was amazing reminding me to breath, and trying to keep me focused.

    Once in the bath, a bit of the edge was taken off, but the contractions were still intense. My nurse called my doctor to come in. I managed to get into a position I could labor in where I could rest in between contractions. Baby was putting so much pressure down there I had to be tilted to one side. I was able to go into a sleep like state between contractions. But I was able to hear my baby’s heartbeat on the monitor and whenever it picked up, I knew the contraction was coming. I yelled “No!” a lot during contractions while trying to blow them away.

    My doctor convinced me to get out of the bath. I could hear her whispering to the nurse that she thought I was ready to push. I thought she was full of it and was going to cave and ask for an epidural. I couldn’t handle the pain anymore. Once on the bed, I looked at the clock, and it was 11:15. My doctor then said, I could push if I wanted to. I didn’t believe her. So she checked me. I asked again if I was really ready to push and she said yes. I still didn’t feel ready to push though.

    Finally my doctor and the nurse convinced me to try pushing. It took 2 pushes to bring him down. My doctor was freaking out getting the nurse to put new gloves on her hands. One more push to get the head out, panting to let the doctor get the cord off of his neck, and one more push to get baby out.

    Bennett was born Monday, January 24, 2011 at 11:43pm, only 2.5 hours from first nasty contraction to my son on my chest. He weighed 6lbs 9oz, and was 19.25 inches long with a full head of dark hair. He was perfect. I did it all without pain relief. I’m still shocked myself about that.

    About 30 minutes after he was born, I started getting some nasty cramps and started shaking. The nurse checked me, pushed on my belly/uterus and out came a bunch of clots that I was told probably equalled the size of the placenta. They got everything under control and I have been okay since then. Kind of scary at the time though.

    He is a really good baby so far. He only lost 3.25% of his body weight on discharge. He is nursing like a champ and sleeps pretty good too. 3-5 hour stretches. His fussy time right now is between 11pm and 3am. He LOVES being held. He prefers to sleep in my arms/beside me.

    And now, the pictures!

    Meeting Daddy

    After his bath

    Going home

    At home

  4. #4
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010


    My water broke at 12:30 am on Monday January 24th. I hadn't gotten much sleep because my family was celebrating the Packer win until about 10pm Sunday night. I woke up DH and he kind of freaked out on me lol. He started throwing up and looked like a ghost! I think it was just so unexpected for him and he was really scared. So, I had to hold it together and pat him on the back and tell him it'd all be ok

    I called my MIL because I had planned on having her here for the birth. She was so thrilled and got in her car right away. We stayed at my house for 3 hours and the contractions started getting more intense and closer together. Once we got to the hospital the had me lay down so they could monitor the contractions and that made them space out and almost stop Once they finally were done monitoring me the took me to my birthing room. I started walking around and that got the contractions in gear again! At about 6 am they were coming so strong, WAY stronger than I remembered with DD. It was all pretty focused in my back too, which I mentioned to the nurse. She suggested I go on all fours because the baby might be "sunny side up" (meaning face up instead of face down which causes back labor). I did this and it kind of helped, but I was barely breathing through contractions at this point. I thought for sure I was at a 7 or 8. I wanted to do this labor without an epidural (got one with DD at 6cm) so I told myself I definitely could get through it if I was to a 7 or 8.

    I was at 4 and a half cm. I have never felt more defeated in my life! So, I caved. I called the nurse in and had them get me ready for an epidural. Everything was going fine and the doctor was finishing threading my catheter. I could feel the medicine start to work on one side of my body and was eagerly anticipating total relief. After about 3 more really painful contractions I realized it wasn't working on my right side. I told the nurse and she said to lay on my right side to try to get the medicine to pool there. I did and it still wasn't working plus the baby's heart rate kept dropping dangerously low with each contraction. They had me lay flat on my back because it was the only way to keep the baby's heart rate up. This made the contractions about 100000 times worse and the epidural still wasn't working on the right side! I was crying and trying to breath through them. The nurse didn't believe that it wasn't working...she said it was just pressure I was feeling Umm...lady, you have NO idea what you are talking about. I know what pressure feels like and this is NOT just pressure. Ugh, she drove me nuts! So, she upped my epidural dose (which I said I didn't want, I just wanted the anesthesiologist to come back in and fix the issue of it only working on one side) and that made my left leg go completely dead. I couldn't move it or feel it at all. It was kind of scary. About a half hour after that the anesthesiologist came in and because the baby had dropped further down into my pelvis they could give me this other medicine through my epidural. And guess what...IT WORKED!! *cue the hallelujah's*

    Phew, so now I am pain free and feeling great. I'm at 9 cm and almost ready to start pushing! I got to see my daughter and that really geared me up to push this LO out! All of a sudden we keep hearing this beep go off. Finally the nurse checked it and she said "Oh, I think the battery is dying on your epidural machine". Uh, what? Well fix it then! After she said that she said she didn't really know how to fix it and went to get someone to help. I was beginning to realize a dull pain coming back on my right side. Sure enough, the epidural machine stopped working. She came back and thought she had fixed it, but it never did work again. So, now I'm ready to push because I'm in so much pain and the contractions are rolling over me, just making me miserable. The nurse told me I couldn't push until the doctor got there, and she wasn't going to be there for another hour. WHAT!?!?! That was all I was thinking. I was so mad that she was dictating when I could and couldn't push. So I started kind of pushing with each contraction...just enough to relieve some pain. FINALLY the doctor was getting ready to come and the nurse told me it was ok to start pushing. Half hour later my baby girl was born! She did turn out to be face up which was the cause for my intense contractions and back pain. She also had the cord wrapped around her neck TWICE (hence the heart rate dropping after each contraction). She was a tiny peanut, only 6 lbs 5 oz.

    We got home last night and everything seemed to be going well...a little too well lol. She is sleeping all the time and I can barely get her to eat. I know it sounds like a miracle, but it made me so nervous because she wasn't eating anything and she was actually turning more yellow. So the doc had us come in today and her billirubin (sp?) levels were high enough to warrant her being on a billi blanket. We had a Home Health United person come by our house to set it up and show us how to use it. She looks like a little glow worm! It's an inconvenience, but I'm glad we caught it early and it should hopefully clear up in a couple days! Now I'm just trying to wrap my head around having two beautiful girls and what's in store for us in the coming years!! It's wonderful having her here and not being pregnant anymore

    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

    Adeline Rose. Born at 1:29 pm on 1/24/11. 6 lbs 5 oz. 19 1/2 in.

    Meeting her big sister for the first time.

    First family photo.

  5. #5
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Sacramento, CA


    Baby Lucas!
    1/31/11, 12:09am
    9 lbs 5 oz, 21 inches

    Here's the story: All day Saturday I had very heavy brown discharge, but wasn't too concerned, then Sunday I woke up and when I wiped it was bright red, so I called the Dr's office and the on call provider said to go to L&D. By the time I got there it was about 11 am and the red was pretty much gone, and they checked me and I was at a 3. They wanted to see if anything would happen if I walked around for an hour so DH took DD to go get some lunch and I got to walking. About an hour later they checked me again and I was at a 5 so they admitted me. They hooked me to the monitor for about 45 minutes, then I went for another walk, when they checked me after I was at a 'stretchy' 6. By this point the contractions were picking up, but were still bearable.

    My OB came and broke my water to get things going, and immediately the contractions picked up in intensity, but I was still able to breathe through them. They checked again an hour later and I was at a 7 so I went for another walk. By this point DD had gone to a friends house and DH was back at the hospital with me. We walked for about 45 and the contractions were bad enough to have to stop and breathe through. But then I stalled at a 7 for about 2 hours, so they started the pitocin, and because of that I also asked for an epidural, the contractions were really getting to be too strong. That made things fly and and by 1145 pm I was at a 10 ready to push. Lucas was born at 1209am on the 31st, 1 day before my due date! Weighed 9 pounds 5 ounces and is 21 inches long, everyone in the delivery room was shocked, both by his size and by the fact that I did not tear or need any stitches. He nursed right away and was doing really well, then Last night I noticed he was breathing a little heavy. That's when they found the small fluid pocket in his lungs. Not a big deal, they said he'll reabsorb it, but want to monitor him and give him antitbiotics to keep it from getting an infection. Hopefully we'll be going home tomorrow.

    Now pictures!! My mom came and took a million so here's a few of them:
    With his big sis Lola

    Our first family pic, and of course I'm looking for a poop, this kid is a pooping machine!

    Me, DD, and Lucas

  6. #6
    Supporter kramsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008


    The quick stats:
    Sawyer Cole was born on Wed Feb 9 at 10:03 am. -- 8lbs 6ozs & 20 inches long.


    3 days old:

    Birth Story:

    On Monday evening I had pretty mild contractions for a couple hours and was convinced something would be happening by morning. Of course, nothing happened. Tuesday evening I only had a couple contractions all evening. Went to bed at 10:30 and woke up at midnight with contractions. They were 5 minutes apart and painful enough that I knew there was no more sleeping. Called the hospital at 1:15am and the nurse said I should probably stay at home for a while. At 2:00 we called MIL to come stay with DD. By the time she got here at 2:30 I couldn't walk or talk through contractions. So we headed for the hospital. At 3:00 I was 2cm & 50% effaced. Walked around for the next hour. At 4:00 i was 4cm. Got the epidural at 5:30. My blood pressure dropped and I got very light headed... they put something in my IV and I didn't have trouble with it after that. At 7am I was 6cm. At 8 Dr broke my water. I was 7cm 90% and -1 station at that point. At 9:51 I started pushing and at 10:03 Sawyer was born. He's been doing great! Seemed to be having some tummy troubles last night but is nursing better again today.

  7. #7
    Mega Poster Clarkton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008


    Ryne James
    born at 6:09 am Thursday morning, 2/3/11
    weighing 7 lbs 4 oz and 21.5"

    Some events of the week leading up to his birth:
    They did the GBS swab and doctor said I was dilated to 1.5 cm at my last check-up a week earlier. I had lots of uterus tightening and lower back cramping the rest of the afternoon after that check-up. I guess things were irritated from the doctor's check even though it didn't hurt. I ended up leaving work a little early to go home and rest. Starting that Monday I was noticing lots more BH's and some lower back cramps from time to time that felt like light contractions. These occured throughout the day just sitting at my desk working, especially toward the end of the day. This was my last week of work and I was trying to finish a project so I worked until 6:30 to 7:30 each night. I really didn't think much of this activity though b/c there were quite a few ladies on here describing much more intense contractions that would occur daily and then stop so I figured mine wasn't anywhere near as intense and could go on like that for weeks. So, Wednesday was the same BH's and lower back ache as it had been. I got home from work around 7 and did the usual eat dinner and get DS bathed and in bed. It was right at 10:45 when I was able to get in bed and as I laid down and rolled over I felt a little gush.

    It wasn't much but I was pretty sure my water just broke. I got up and went to the potty...after a few more minutes moving around with more leaking I woke up DH and told him what was going on. I didn't want to go to the hospital yet b/c I wasn't having any contractions and I wanted to labor naturally. I was afraid they'd want to give me something to get labor going if I went in. I debated on even calling my doc's office but wanted to let them know in case I did end up progressing quickly. After talking to the on-call doc the nurse told me it was ok if I stayed home and waited for things to get going. I was to go to the hospital if labor started but if morning came with no progress I was to go to the docs office around 9 am.

    I had a lower back ache but no contractions yet. I went ahead and packed a hospital bag and around 1 DS woke up fussing. He usually comes and crawls in bed with us at some point during the night but it's usually closer to morning. I was starting to have some mild contractions around this time but thought I should try to get some rest so I laid down with DS. It wasn't 20 min. before I decided I was too uncomfy to lay down so I got up and got in the shower. Things were picking up quickly now...by the time I was done in the shower (maybe 30 min.) I told DH we better go to the hospital. I had realized at this point baby had dropped pretty low. The knot that had been under my ribs for weeks was now at my belly button. I was having to keep moving to work through the contractions now. I was having all back labor again but what worked to cope when I was in labor with DS did not feel good with this one. I found that pacing was the best thing to do so having to get in the car at this point wasn't very comfortable. Contractions were coming about every 2.5 to 3 minutes on the way to the hospital. We got there around 3:15 am and I was shown up to labor and delivery while DH parked. Now began the battle for me to be up and moving while the staff kept wanting me to lay still in bed so they could poke on me and listen to the baby. They immediately wanted to get an IV started so they could take blood / run tests. They checked me in triage and said I was at 3 cm. After they got me into a room I asked if I could get in the shower to see if it helped my lower back pain through contractions. The nurse talked me into laying in bed for just 20 minutes so they could monitor the baby. A few minutes into the monitoring she tells me the on-call doc wants me to have the antibiotics since I'm not 37 weeks yet regardless of the GBS results. This is going to take an hour she says. I realize they are never going to let me up and I'm not getting in the shower.

    So I continued to labor in the bed on my left side. It was the most comfortable position for me. At the time I got in the bed it was becoming more difficult to deal with the contractions by walking it off. I coped through the rest of labor with vocalizing through contractions and really concentrating on relaxing. I noticed if I didn't really try to relax I would arch my back and tense my shoulders which made it more painful. So I focused on not doing those 2 things and every now and then it felt like my body was pushing during a contraction...I guess this was just baby continuing to move down. I mostly kept my eyes closed during all this and just rested between contractions and before long it was time to push.

    The resident who had come in and introduced herself earlier was the one to attend the birth. I started pushing as I felt like it and some contractions I just took a break and tried to let things stretch. I jokingly asked during one of these rests if I could get my epidural now...I thought pushing was much more painful this time than I remember with DS. Of course, he was 2.5 lbs smaller so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know exactly how long pushing lasted but it couldn't have been more than 30 minutes. Not counting the ones where I rested I think I only pushed during like 5 contractions. As he was crowning they asked DH if he wanted to cut the cord. I don't remember who announced it but someone said it's a boy! I was like no way...totally had a girl feeling but nope he's definitely a boy. He cried just a little when he was first born and his apgars were 8 and 9. I still tore...they said 2nd degree which was the same as with DS1 but this time it was to the back instead of the front. I really have found recovery from that to be much easier this time around.

    My doc dropped by my room a few hours after birth and was like "what happened?" I said I told you I go fast, lol. I went from 6 cm to baby born in less than an hour with DS and I expected this one would go quickly at the end too. He said they had called the on-call doc (his partner) right before 6 am telling her I was at 7 cm and then next thing she hears is baby has arrived. It didn't really bother me either way...I like my doctor but for delivery I just really needed someone to catch the baby.

    We didn't try to nurse right away. I spent about an hour in the delivery room before they moved us. DS was in the room the whole time but they had him over to the side doing all their measurements and checks. DH spent most of this time over by Ryne.

    I was actually ok with this as I was exhausted. But I did get to hold him some too.

    DS1 came to meet his little brother that afternoon. He seemed very excited to have a little brother and wanted to hold him right away.

    Going home the next day...please overlook that I look terrible in this picture

  8. #8
    Mega Poster Shummel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    A Sunny City


    Teresa Joy "Rese" born February 11, 2011 at 10:27am. 39w 2d. 7lb 6oz 20in.

    I had been having regular contractions on and off since about 36 weeks - so was never sure if I was going to know when it was "the real thing". Thursday night, Feb 10, I went to my sister's for dinner. While I was there, her DH brought me a decaf chocolate coconut latte - yumm! I'm wondering if that's what did it?? I left my sister's house around 7:30p and was having some pretty strong contrax. I was feeling like maybe I shouldn't be driving! DH was at church and I was contemplating calling him to come home - I had one really strong contraction and decided to go ahead and call.

    I got home around 8p and DH met me there. I ran DS a bath and started bouncing on my birth ball while DH and I watched American Idol. We watched the whole show and at 9p I started feeling "better" and figured I'd better try to sleep. I put DS to bed and I laid down on the couch next to DH to get some rest while we watched another show - not sure what it was. A little after 9:30p I felt a small gush of fluid. I jumped up off the couch and said "I think my water just broke!" I ran to the bathroom and didn't have any more fluid coming out but my underwear was soaked.

    I called the afterhours number at the midwifery center and left a message and texted my sister and mom to let them know something was up. Because of my GBS + status the mw had me come right in.

    We dropped DS off at a friend's house and headed into the midwifery center. On the way there my contrax started getting a lot stronger and my water fully broke the rest of the way! I was SOAKED!! My sister was there when we arrived. She grabbed a wheelchair and got me up to our room while DH parked the car and grabbed all of our stuff.

    The mw checked me and I was 2 - 3cm and 80% - 90% effaced. She said to do whatever I could to rest because it looked like I would be laboring over night and would need my strength. I tried to lay down on the queen bed in the room but I couldn't get comfortable. I sat in the rocking chair and closed my eyes. I had my "Beautiful Exchange" Hillsong CD playing in the room and they had the jacuzzi tub filled and rippling. It was really peaceful. My DH, mom, and sister all decided to sleep in the bed instead

    At about 3a I was having a harder time relaxing. I went into the lobby (right outside my door) where my SIL and her friend were hanging out. We sat there for a couple of hours talking with my mw and my nurse. SIL timed contrax through that time. They stayed about exactly 3 min apart. More water gushed out at every contraction and they were getting more painful. Around 6a I decided I wanted to walk a bit but I couldn't walk through the contrax - I went back in my room and leaned on DH rocking my hips and moaning through contrax.

    An hour later DH wanted me to be checked. I was nervous to be checked because I knew the contrax just weren't close enough together to have done much - but DH was anxious for me to be able to get in the tub - he was hoping that would relieve some of the pain. I declined the check - Mw suggested I get in the shower. I sat on the birthing ball leaning over a shelf with the water pouring down my back. Contrax were much more manageable but also slowing down.

    My nurse Megan came in and said she was leaving and Erica would be taking over. I cried! I begged her to take me with her! Haha! She said she would come back to check on me that night and meet my baby girl (she did - she was so awesome!) DH asked mw to check my cervix hoping the crying was a good sign. At 8a I was only 4cm.

    Mw got me out of the shower since water seemed to be slowing down contrax. I leaned on DH some more and then decided to try the shower again. Even if it slowed things down again, I could at least get some relief - I actually dozed off a couple of times in there.

    I got out and was crying sitting on the toilet when mw asked me what I wanted to do. I kept saying I was so tired and I just wanted to sleep. She asked what she could do for me. She asked if I was saying I wanted an epi (I think she was trying to gauge where I was at mentally) - I said of course not. She asked if I wanted some benedryl to help get the edge off and maybe I could sleep - she also offered getting out the breastpump. I didn't want anything - I just wanted the baby to come. I was nervous any type of intervention could slow things down more. I stood some more leaning on DH.

    At about 10a DH asked for another check which I agreed to. I was 6 cm. Mw said baby and I were both "flat" and asked the nurse to get me a fluid bag - she thought that might help me progress. I had been drinking but really just small sips here and there. I already had the heplock in for the antibiotics so the fluids came quickly and I decided to focus on that mentally - pretending the bag of saline was actually medication Mw was happy with the 6cm tho and said things should move more quickly now that I had gotten past the 5 cm mark - boy was she right!

    Mw had me lean over the birthing ball in the bed on my hands and knees - suddenly the pain was getting really intense really fast! I was letting out small screams while everyone was rubbing me in different areas trying to get me to relax. I couldn't hold still I had to move! Nurse quickly moved me to sitting on the ball leaning over the bed. That was no good either. I felt myself pushing! I was freaked out because I had literally just been checked and I was only a 6! I was saying that I couldn't relax that I needed help - I was so scared because my body literally took over and I couldn't control anything. When I said that I couldn't stop pushing and it was burning my SIL quickly ran out to grab the mw.

    She ran in and ordered me onto the bed for a check - I told her I didn't want to be checked! I assumed I was still a 6 and just didn't want to hear that again. I kept saying I couldn't do it anymore... She insisted that she check me immediately! I laid down and she said - of course you can't do it anymore - her head is almost out! Just push out your baby! I begged to get in the tub (they had been waiting for me to be 7cm to allow it - bummer!) and she said there wasn't time I just needed to push!

    Pushing was the most incredibly intense, amazing feeling in the whole world! As soon as I knew it was ok to be pushing I felt completely back in control. Everytime I had a contraction, my body pushed little Rese down a little more. No one told me how to push or when - I just did what felt natural. Everyone was giving me the play by play of what was going on, telling me when they saw her head and saying that she had hair! It was so exciting to hear the "news" from that end and kept me excited and focused on meeting my little girl.

    Once her head was all the way out her shoulders got stuck. My family later said that the mw had been pulling gently on her head but she just wasn't coming. Not sure how long it was exactly but mw looked me in the eye and said, "I need you to stop whining and push your baby the rest of the way out". I was freaked out by the look in her eyes - I said "But I'm not having a contraction right now." and she said "I don't care". I was like - yikes! I pushed with all my might and she popped the rest of the way out! With a nice little tear Oh well!

    Rese was immediately put on my chest while mw asked for some novocain to get me stitched up. Rese just wanted to sleep but she was turning purple and then blue - she was literally the color of the girl violet on Willy Wonka when she eats the blueberry pie gum! I said something about how blue she was - mw picked her up and rubbed her vigorously until she started full on screaming. She was pink pink pink after that! At some point the placenta came out, I got stitched up (that was crazy painful!), and the cord was cut.

    Rese started nursing at 11:15am - only 45 minutes old. I started trying within 15 min of birth and it took her about 30 to get what was going on - but when she finally latched right and started sucking it was like heaven for me! I got the full bonding experience that I never got with DS. I felt so complete - so in love - so happy! I wasn't tired anymore for sure!

    At around noon a nursery nurse came in and asked if we wanted to have her weighed yet. I told her I wasn't ready to give her up just yet - I asked if she could just hang out for a few min. She was cool with that - Rese had pooped on my stomach and it was getting all over the blankets - so she just helped clean up around and changed out the blankets and stuck a diaper on her while I was holding her.

    Finally I was ready to let them check her out. They took her right beside my bed and weighed and measured her. They asked if it was ok to give her the vitamin K shot and eye ointment now - I had already agreed to both. I said yes - they did that and then gave her right back to me.

    Later I let them come back and help DH give her a bath in the room. They put her in a little footie pj outfit I brought for her - all fresh and clean and pink

    Here are some pix:

    She is an absolute angel! She loves to snuggle and only cries when she's cold. We are co-sleeping right now which is amazing. Saw the dr. for her 4 day check up yesterday and has already gained back her birthweight! yahoo! My milk came in two nights ago - I'm still a little engorged but it's not been as painful this time as with DS - thank God!!

    Big brother is so good. The first time he held her he had tears streaming down his face. I asked him why he was crying and he said it was because he just loved her so much! He told me this morning that she is our baby, we are going to keep her forever, and no bad guys will ever get her.
    Sarah and Dave, married April 8, 2000
    DS David Anthony July 14, 2005
    DD Teresa Joy "Rese" February 11, 2011

    My February Space

  9. #9
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Northen Michigan

    Default Claire's Birth Story


    I woke up at 3am on Wednesday Feb 2 with some very random but noticeable contractions. At that moment I knew this was going to be the day (I was 40w that day). The BH I had been feeling for weeks were all in my stomach, well now they had started up in my back. I had back labor with all three kids.

    So I went to the couch and tried resting while watching TV. I noticed it was freezing in the house so I checked the thermostat and the house was only 55 degrees! Darn furnace died in the night. Around 5am I started timing the contractions and they were 5-10min apart. At 5:15am I get a call saying that DD wasn't going to have school due to the huge snowstorm that hit the country. So the kids got up around 7am and I went and woke DH up so that he could figure out what to do with the furnace before we had to leave for the hospital. I also called my mom at that time to come and get the kids before the weather/roads got much worse. By 8:30am mom had come to get the kids and the furnace guy was on his way. That is when I finally packed my hospital bag. LOL I also called my Doc's office to cancel my appt that was scheduled for later that day and of course to give him a heads up.

    After the furnace guy left (cost us $650 ) around 9am I sat back down to time the contractions they were spacing out some 7-12 minutes. DH was starting to hover and stress me out so I suggested he go to work and get some things done (his office is 3 minutes away) and I would call him later. When things really stared spacing out I was worried about the labor stopping so I headed downstairs and walked on the treadmill. I took a magazine to read and walked 1.5 miles in 45 minutes. The frequency, and strength definitely picked up after that. I was around noon so I made myself some lunch and kept timing contractions while watching my soap opera.

    Around 2pm DH came home and the contractions were coming every 3-5 minutes and lasting 1 minute. Around 3:30pm the contractions were starting to come about every 2min with the back and hip pain becoming MUCH stronger. So we left for the hospital (3 blocks away) and I was hooked up to the monitors by 4pm.

    At my appointment 5 days earlier I was 3-4 cm and 75% effaced. When they checked me at the hosp. I was 5-6, 100%, with a bulging bag of water. It makes sense now why the contractions got so strong so quick at home, I was heading into transitional phase of labor. As soon as I found out I was only 5-6 I asked for an epidural. Of course it was 1.5 hours before the anesthesiologist came and after 2 tries and 30 minutes the epidural was finally in. By now it's 6pm (2 hours since arriving). Something interesting was when I told epi guy the last time the epi was spotty. He said because of my tall height (6'0") he would give me extra drugs? Ever heard of that?

    Doc came in minutes after the epidural and I was in total moaning phase at that point. I was so freaked out because I was in MORE pain after getting the epidural then before it. So as Doc is washing his hands and I'm moaning like crazy, he says, "sounds like she is complete." WHAT?! It's only been a few hours and the epidural isn't working yet. I can't be complete. Well sure enough I was complete and -1 station. at that time Doc broke my water and then told me that once I get "the urge" let him know. Apparently sitting in the "epidural position" helps some women move quickly is what the nurse and Doc said. So about 15-20 minutes later I still wasn't having the urge but he checked me again DD2 was nearly crowning! Guess the epi was working after all. So with one push her head came and with another push Claire came into the world at 6:35pm on 2/2/11. I was hoping for another red head like myself and DD1 but she has a thick head of black like DS.

    She was the first baby I was able to have her on my chest right after birth. What a surreal experience that was. She was 9lb13oz and 22" long. Surprisingly I only ended up with two stitches. With DS, who was 1 pound smaller, delivered over six contractions, but I torn FAR worse with him. This has been my best recovery hands down.


  10. #10
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    In the mitten!


    William Joseph S. Junior, 2-14-11, 8lb 11 oz, 20 inches 6:36 AM

    hopefully my laptop battery won't die and i'll get plenty of time before Bubba wants me. he's been sleeping all day, i wake him up to feed him!

    So .... after 5 days of false starts.... and then some.... i'm tired, i'm sore, and i'm miserable. my dedication to no intervention NCB was wavering and i was not happy with myself. so i did what i could, try every natural method of induction available. At a little after 9 the night of the 13th, after we spent all day getting the car fixed i got DH to DTD. that got some stuff started. tried to nurse DD to sleep but she was thrown off by a late catnap!

    So DD ran around terrorizing the house while i bounced on my ball and timed contractions. at 11:30 i finally got DD to lay down, nursed her, which totally kicked up the intensity even more, and woke DH up. or tried to. he woke up after half an hour and 3 tries on my part. but once he was up i called the hospital, and the awesome OB who i only got to see once 3 weeks ago was on call! the receptionist asked which Dr i usually saw... and i said i just wanted to talk to her, the on call one. first clue that this would go well.

    so it took us a whole 5 minutes to get to the hospital, got checked in and sent up, and i totally forgot to ask for a room with a good tub, but its ok, they all have jetted jacuzis anyway! so i got a great nurse, she checked me and thought i was at a good 7, but i'm telling you, my cervix was hard to reach! contractions spaced out slightly because of alll the changes, so we walked laps to kick it up again. wasn't working. so i bounced on the ball. that DID work, but after a few more shifts because my hips kinda got stuck in that position, labor started to slow down and stall.

    So the OB came in and asked what i wanted to do, and i asked her to break my water, i didn't want to go through it for any longer, and i didnt want to come back in 2 days and i was just so DONE. I had started thinking of the risks of going overdue- meconium, distress, baby growing even bigger...... so we went with it 4:40 AM. 10 minutes later i had a WICKED contraction finally, shuffled and whined through about an hour of laps in the hall, then i was like freaking out. the nurse offered to fill the tub and i begged her to- so she had me go through a couple on the toilet, which was VERY difficult for me, but she was afraid of my labor stalling, and so was i, so we waited until i was borderline gonna freak out before i got into the tub. Only made it through about 6 contractions, the first ones felt SOOO much better, but then they got really intense again and i was just trying to smash DH's hand and the nurse was GREAT, kept telling me to blow the contraction away, which i did, and i kept visiualizing myself blowing angrily at birthday candles- and it didnt even make me laugh.

    so i got out of the tub after maybe 20 minutes, thinking maybe it was time to push. and IT WAS! the OB came and checked me, i had made it to all 4's on the bed, and they asked if i wanted to be like that, and i said it was as far as i had made it! So i rolled onto one side, and i told the OB the pain was all in my back and hips, so she checked again to see which way the baby was and he was almost OP.... not straight, but kinda at an angle, so she asked me to push and she tried to turn the baby. not really a pleasant feeling, but i don't think her hand made a difference really, if anything the turning totaly helped. After a few minutes she said to try another position, we went to kneeling and leaning over the bed, then squatting which was great! as long as i was pushing i felt so much better.

    they kept telling me to curl into a c shape, focus on pushing the baby around the corner, and it was great visualization for me. (with DD i remember the OB telling me "you have to get the baby around your tailbone" and then he stepped back, left me on my back in the bed and walked away. DH liked this OB MUCH better) DH was telling me how great i was doing, i was thinking of asking for the mirror because i thought i'd like to see my slow progress, assuming that it would take a while, even if it wasnt 2 hrs. Well, after a total of about 20 minutes pushing... DH, who was tired, hungry, hot, and standing with his knees locked says "i need to get out of here" the nurses thought he was going to pass out and told him to sit down, but he walked out the door and got a cold drink. and right then the baby started to crown! i had no idea i had moved him that far that fast! so one nurse RUNS out the door to get DH, he came right back in, and i delivered baby's head, they kept encouraging me to keep pushing, which i did because i totally never felt like the contraction stopped, i'd pant, take a deep breath and then push again as much as i could.

    the OB tried to very gently to ease the shoulders out one at a time- i just kept pushing for all i was worth- and then out came BUBBA! DH didnt even bother announcing it, he just screamed YES! LOL! i saw the junk though, and i was like... WTF am i supposed to do with a boy? but i hugged him and it was great they totally let me keep him skin to skin, the OB waited until the cord stopped pulsing, then DH cut it, and she showed us the placenta and stuff.

    then she had to stitch up my 2nd degree tear which was right along my scar from DD, which i figured was damn lucky considering that his head was almost an inch bigger around and he's got huge shoulders! he looks so skinny, i would have bet he weighed less than DD, but he had 3 oz on her!

    I did have a little PPH issue, i sat up to go use the restroom about an hr after he was born and FLOODED the bed, the nurse weouldnt let me up, my uterus really seemed to be contracting well, but i massaged it myself to help while she cleaned up a little, then after a few minutes went and got some cytotec, which gave me wicked cramps for HOURS, but it helped. doing much better now, bleeding is totally under control.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions