Sweetheart Arrivals and Birthstories

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Clarkton's picture
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/07/08
Posts: 1972
Sweetheart Arrivals and Birthstories

Welcome to the world February 2011 Sweethearts!!

I'll update this thread with our arrivals names, birth dates and stats. I'll try to keep up with the arrival announcements as they are posted but please PM me if I miss your arrival.

Also please add your birth stories as a post on this thread. No comments in this thread please, turn off your siggy and don't forget:


Dec. 29th
Danielle's (daniellec.parker)
Alaina Claire born at 6:04 pm, 5 lbs 9 oz and 18” &
Aiden James born at 6:05 pm, 5 lbs 6 oz and 19”


Jan. 24th
Karen's (captainswife)
Brandon Isaiah Vincent born at 6:22 am, 7 lbs 2 oz

Jenna's (jleo22)
Adeline Rose born at 1:29 pm, 6 lbs 5 oz and 19.5"

Laura's (lola2010)
Bennett born at 11:43 pm, 6 lbs 9 oz and 19.25"

Jan. 25th
Cassey's (casseyny)
Anthony born at 12:54 am, 5 lbs 8.5 oz and 18.75"

Jan. 27th
Brandy's (stargalaxys23)
Bentley James born at 9:19 am, 9 lbs 4.5 oz

Jan. 30th
Laura's (laurameadows)
Elijah born at ?, 6 lbs 2 oz and 20 1/8"

Jan. 31st
Rae's (raekrasko)
Lucas born at 12:09 am, 9 lbs 5 oz

Kourtney's (KourtneyLavy)
Miyah born at 10:36 pm, 6 lbs &
Jaylen born at 10:38 pm, 6 lbs 8 oz


Feb. 1st
Janae's (mommy.nae)
Delcan born at 1:23 am, 8 lbs 6 oz and 20"

Feb. 2nd
Brandie's (BigRed79)
Claire Cathryn born at 6:35 pm, 9 lbs 13 oz and 22"

Feb. 3rd
Lynn's (Clarkton)
Ryne James born at 6:09 am, 7 lbs 4 oz and 21.5"

Christina's (lynettea76l)
Scarlett Christine born at ?, 8 lbs 13 oz and 21.5"

Feb. 4th
Rochelle's (Charliesmommy)
Elena Margaret born at 2:11 pm, 6 lbs and 19"

Brandy's (ryzbat512)
Chase Thomas born at 5:59 pm, 8 lbs 8 oz and 20.5"

Feb. 5th
Grace LaNette born at 1:03 pm, 7 lbs and 20"

Cassi's (Soren11golf)
Addisen Ann born at 2:29 pm, 8 lbs 10 oz and 21.5"

Feb. 9th
Jenny's (scubaj43)
Canon Clay born at 3:32 am, 8 lbs 5 oz and 20.5"

Melissa's (kramsgirl)
Sawyer Cole born at 10:03 am, 8 lbs 6 oz and 20"

Feb. 11th
Sarah's (Shummel)
Teresa Joy born at 10:27 am, 7 lbs 6 oz and 20"

Dusti's (newtomom)
Clara Lynn born at 4:32 pm, 8 lbs 2 oz and 20.5"

Feb. 13th
Adina's (dinzy)
Saphira Nava born at 3:04 am, 8 lbs 14 oz

Feb. 14th
Jenni's (gypsy86)
William Joseph Jr. born at 6:36 am, 8 lbs 11 oz and 20"

Melissa's (Melissa1223)
Jackson Henry born at 1 ish pm, 9 lbs 2 oz and 21.5"

Michelle's (MichelleBell)
Sheldon Patrick born at 5:08 pm, 5 lbs 11 oz and 19.75"

Feb. 16th
Noah Alexander born at 8:19 am, 7 lbs 5 oz and 19"

Kimberly's (MILFbound)
Baby Boy born at 1:30 pm, 10 lbs 13 oz and 21.5"

Feb. 17th
Erika's (m3773a)
Evelyn Reese born at 7:26 am, 7 lbs 10 oz and 20"

Abby's (loveemom)
Cidney Simms born at 11:45 pm, 6 lbs 14 oz and 19"

Feb. 18th
David Mikel born at 2:37 am, 6 lbs 13 oz and 18"

Feb. 20th
Lauren's (LaurenE)
Malia Claire born at 6:20 am, 7 lbs 2 oz

Feb. 21th
Betsy's (pnkin)
Emma Mae born at 6:12 am, 6 lbs 8 oz and 19.75"

Feb. 24th
Kat's (tigrrlily8 )
Gwendalyn Terese born at 1:24 am, 7 lbs 10 oz and 20"

Rachel's (momto3toB)
Hazel Sarah born at 6:13 am, 8 lbs 1 oz and 21"

Joanna's (woelfelyojo6)
Eloise Elizabeth born at 10:04 pm, 7 lbs 6 oz and 20"

Feb. 25th
Deanna's (dreamer1980)
Ireland McDonough born at 7:03 pm, 8 lbs 1 oz

Feb. 28th
Mary's (marymoonu)
Calvin Michael born at 7:39 pm, 6 lbs 8 oz and 18"


March 1st
Ashleigh's (ashleigheg12)
Cailyn Ruth born at 8:58 am, 7 lbs 3 oz and 21"

March 2nd
Gillian's (momagainsoon)
Lauryn Rose born at 1:25 pm, 8 lbs 7 oz and 19.5"

March 3rd
1st time mummy's
Jack James Chesley Leslie born at 7:02 am, 7 lbs 8 oz and 20"

daniellec.parker's picture
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 09/06/09
Posts: 895

We started counting contractions the evening of Wed Dec 22. After talking to my OB I took a warm bath to help, and continued to monitor frequency and intensity. I fell asleep at some point, but woke up later on unable to fall back asleep. I was awake and on the computer for several hrs before returning to bed. Once I got resettled in the bed, the contractions became even more frequent—from about one every 20 min to one every 5 min or so. (Just as a reminder, I had been given the first of two steroid shots for the babies’ lungs that morning…) Dr. Stella tells me to go to straight to L&D.

There they hooked me up to monitors, gave me the 2nd steroid shot, and started me on magnesium to slow the contractions down. As it turns out they had increased in frequency to one every 2-3 min. By around 11 I was still having contractions every 5 min or so. However, I hadn’t dilated at all. They increased my dosage of mag, and the waiting game continued. I was told that once we reached 34 weeks that they would no longer attempt to prevent labor. So after that initial 24 hrs to give the 2nd steroid shot a chance to do some good, we were waiting for the contractions to pick back up and for me to reach a dilation of 3 cm.

There were several times when we thought that I was going to get to go home. Contractions would pick up for a while, but ease back off after a few hrs—never saw any progression. Then on Saturday I started to have problems breathing, and my oxygen levels were falling down to around 90. On Sunday they did a chest x-ray and found out I had pneumonia.. fun!

Late Monday, early Tues my blood pressure started to rise and my swelling got really bad. After 24 hrs of collecting my urine for a protein test, I was diagnosed with pre-e on Wed morning and the c-sec was scheduled for that evening at 5:30. Ultrasounds had shown that Alaina was still breech, so I wouldn’t have been able to attempt a vaginal birth anyway... So I had aprox 6.5 hrs to prepare myself the rest of the way for surgery and the arrival of our little ones.

I won’t go into too many details… but let’s suffice it to say that one the anesthesiologists (there were 2) wasn’t a very nice guy and made me cry when I went back to get the spinal block. They had to try several times, but were having problems because I couldn’t arch my back enough—the belly was too much in the way. Not very pleasant at all, let me tell you. But once DH got into the room, I was feeling better.

Alaina was born at 6:04 pm and Aiden at 6:05, on Wednesday December 29, 2010 at 34 weeks, 5 days. DH cut both cords. I remember shaking so bad, but being so happy to hear them both crying for the first time. The anesthesiologist that was rather rude earlier redeemed himself a bit by being the one to take the pictures of us with the babies. He was the one doing the directing of where to place the babies and everything. So that was nice. I got to touch Alaina and give her a kiss before they were taken to the nursery. (At the time I thought it was Aiden because of what the guy was saying… But pictures tell a different story.) DH asked me if I wanted him to stay with me or to go to the nursery with the babies. I told him that I’d be fine and that I would rather he go (to be there for their weighing and everything). Alaina was 5 lbs 9 oz and 18” long. Aiden was 5 lbs 6 oz and 19” long.

I’m really not sure how much time passed, but before too long my little group of friends and family that had been waiting were in the recovery room with me. Heath brought in Alaina and laid her down on the bed next to me, and then went back to get Aiden. Everyone was telling me how good of a daddy Heath was already being. He kept jumping back and forth between the two while in the nursery – not wanting to spend too much time with one and not the other. He even put Aiden’s first diaper on – so they were all impressed.

Family and friends stayed around for about 30 min, and then it was time for me to try and breast feed. Being that they were premies, I didn’t get to do skin to skin right away because they wanted to make sure their body temps stayed up… It was a challenge to get them both to latch to say the least. The swaddles got in the way – especially with how badly I was still shaking.

They kept the babies in the nursery for the first night and day, bringing them down the hall to us when it was time to feed them. They were healthy from the beginning and never showed any signs of underdevelopment/weakness. I somehow managed to feed them enough for them to have wet diapers and all, even though I felt like they weren’t getting anything during our nursing sessions those first few days. By Saturday my milk had come in, and I had to ask for a breast pump… Glad to know that my body was able to provide my two beautiful babies with everything they both needed after having arrived so early.

I have to say that it wasn’t easy at all those first few days at the hospital. I was still fighting the pneumonia and pre-e, on top of dealing with recovery from the c-sec and all. I couldn’t get comfortable in the beds, so no rest for me. I’m still fighting high blood pressure and MAJOR swelling. I’m very sore and V-E-R-Y tired. I think I’ve had less than 10 hrs of sleep the past 3 days… I find myself falling asleep sitting up.

Getting pictures onto the computer and typing this birth story has been challenging. But I’ve been dying to share it all with you ladies. It’s been a ride to be sure. But it’s all been worth it. I love these two little sweethearts more than I could possibly have dreamed! Now I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of all of the other sweethearts and getting to know them as well!

And now for the pictures! Smile

Here's my very last belly pic. One of my best friends took it about an hr before they were born. Notice it's no longer round, but square. Smile

At Weigh in:

First Family Photo:

In the nursery:

Mommy and Babies: (The first was taken about an hr after birth with Alaina. The 2nd is me with Aiden on day 3.)

A picture of the 2 of them together in one "bed":

Going Home (Day 4):

Close-ups: (Alaina is first)

Day 6:

lola2010's picture
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 04/20/10
Posts: 128

Sorry about the length. I have a writing problem lol.

I went to my 38 week (and 2 days) appointment on Monday January 24. Much to my doctors surprise I was still pregnant. She checked my blood pressure, baby’s heartbeat, and my belly size. Everything looked great. She asked if I wanted her to do another membrane sweep. I said sure why not. She hadn’t done very much when she paused and said, “Whoops, I think I just broke your water.” My water broke all over the exam table, and went everywhere. She rechecked baby’s heartbeat and he was still doing great. She told me that my cervix was about 3-4 still, same as last week.

I asked the doctor what do I do now. She asked about my GBS status and I didn’t know, so she checked my chart and it was positive. I was sent across the street to the hospital for monitoring and to get the antibiotics started. This all happened around 11am.

When I got to the hospital, they didn’t have any rooms available for me yet, so I went and sat in the little lounge, and watched TV, trying to move as little as possible. I didn’t trust the pad to hold much leakage. I got into a room and into a bed by 12:45. I was hooked up to the monitors. I had some contractions pick up, but they were still super weak. I was then started on the antibiotics. Once that dose was done, the nurse locked my IV, disconnected me, and told me to stay on the floor. Back to the lounge I went to pace and watch some TV.

DH came up to the hospital about 2:30 after tying up some loose ends at work. Then we started doing laps around the floor to try and get things going. I also tried to have a nap. I had my second round of antibiotics in there too. Contractions still weren’t picking up.

The nurses changed shifts at 7:30pm and my new nurse came into the room. She told me that the OB on call was getting a little worried about lack of progress and being GBS positive. She said that the OB wanted to call my doctor and discuss inducing labor. I was upset, asked some questions, and waited to hear what my doctor said. I really didn’t want to be induced as I have heard nothing good about oxytocin and the level of pain. I was really hoping to deliver as natural as possible, and I was scared that my dreams of that were going to be shattered.

At 9pm, the nurse came in to start the induction at the lowest level. Instantly the contractions got stronger on the monitor, but I wasn’t feeling them. My nurse suggested walking around, or lying on my left side. I tried walking, got nothing, and then tried lying down on my left side. WHAM!! Contractions hit me and they were intense right away. That was 9:15. At 9:30, the nurse came in to turn up the level of oxytocin. I felt like in needed to pee, and with some help from DH, I made it to the bathroom. The contractions were so intense, and on top of each other. I was sitting on the toilet crying so DH got the nurse. They got me back to bed and my nurse started running the bath for me. DH was amazing reminding me to breath, and trying to keep me focused.

Once in the bath, a bit of the edge was taken off, but the contractions were still intense. My nurse called my doctor to come in. I managed to get into a position I could labor in where I could rest in between contractions. Baby was putting so much pressure down there I had to be tilted to one side. I was able to go into a sleep like state between contractions. But I was able to hear my baby’s heartbeat on the monitor and whenever it picked up, I knew the contraction was coming. I yelled “No!” a lot during contractions while trying to blow them away.

My doctor convinced me to get out of the bath. I could hear her whispering to the nurse that she thought I was ready to push. I thought she was full of it and was going to cave and ask for an epidural. I couldn’t handle the pain anymore. Once on the bed, I looked at the clock, and it was 11:15. My doctor then said, I could push if I wanted to. I didn’t believe her. So she checked me. I asked again if I was really ready to push and she said yes. I still didn’t feel ready to push though.

Finally my doctor and the nurse convinced me to try pushing. It took 2 pushes to bring him down. My doctor was freaking out getting the nurse to put new gloves on her hands. One more push to get the head out, panting to let the doctor get the cord off of his neck, and one more push to get baby out.

Bennett was born Monday, January 24, 2011 at 11:43pm, only 2.5 hours from first nasty contraction to my son on my chest. He weighed 6lbs 9oz, and was 19.25 inches long with a full head of dark hair. He was perfect. I did it all without pain relief. I’m still shocked myself about that.

About 30 minutes after he was born, I started getting some nasty cramps and started shaking. The nurse checked me, pushed on my belly/uterus and out came a bunch of clots that I was told probably equalled the size of the placenta. They got everything under control and I have been okay since then. Kind of scary at the time though.

He is a really good baby so far. He only lost 3.25% of his body weight on discharge. He is nursing like a champ and sleeps pretty good too. 3-5 hour stretches. His fussy time right now is between 11pm and 3am. He LOVES being held. He prefers to sleep in my arms/beside me.

And now, the pictures!

Meeting Daddy

After his bath

Going home

At home

Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 06/28/10
Posts: 11

My water broke at 12:30 am on Monday January 24th. I hadn't gotten much sleep because my family was celebrating the Packer win until about 10pm Sunday night. I woke up DH and he kind of freaked out on me lol. He started throwing up and looked like a ghost! I think it was just so unexpected for him and he was really scared. So, I had to hold it together and pat him on the back and tell him it'd all be ok :rolleyes:

I called my MIL because I had planned on having her here for the birth. She was so thrilled and got in her car right away. We stayed at my house for 3 hours and the contractions started getting more intense and closer together. Once we got to the hospital the had me lay down so they could monitor the contractions and that made them space out and almost stop Sad Once they finally were done monitoring me the took me to my birthing room. I started walking around and that got the contractions in gear again! At about 6 am they were coming so strong, WAY stronger than I remembered with DD. It was all pretty focused in my back too, which I mentioned to the nurse. She suggested I go on all fours because the baby might be "sunny side up" (meaning face up instead of face down which causes back labor). I did this and it kind of helped, but I was barely breathing through contractions at this point. I thought for sure I was at a 7 or 8. I wanted to do this labor without an epidural (got one with DD at 6cm) so I told myself I definitely could get through it if I was to a 7 or 8.

I was at 4 and a half cm. :eek: I have never felt more defeated in my life! So, I caved. I called the nurse in and had them get me ready for an epidural. Everything was going fine and the doctor was finishing threading my catheter. I could feel the medicine start to work on one side of my body and was eagerly anticipating total relief. After about 3 more really painful contractions I realized it wasn't working on my right side. I told the nurse and she said to lay on my right side to try to get the medicine to pool there. I did and it still wasn't working plus the baby's heart rate kept dropping dangerously low with each contraction. They had me lay flat on my back because it was the only way to keep the baby's heart rate up. This made the contractions about 100000 times worse and the epidural still wasn't working on the right side! I was crying and trying to breath through them. The nurse didn't believe that it wasn't working...she said it was just pressure I was feeling :rolleyes: Umm...lady, you have NO idea what you are talking about. I know what pressure feels like and this is NOT just pressure. Ugh, she drove me nuts! So, she upped my epidural dose (which I said I didn't want, I just wanted the anesthesiologist to come back in and fix the issue of it only working on one side) and that made my left leg go completely dead. I couldn't move it or feel it at all. It was kind of scary. About a half hour after that the anesthesiologist came in and because the baby had dropped further down into my pelvis they could give me this other medicine through my epidural. And guess what...IT WORKED!! Yahoo *cue the hallelujah's*

Phew, so now I am pain free and feeling great. I'm at 9 cm and almost ready to start pushing! I got to see my daughter and that really geared me up to push this LO out! All of a sudden we keep hearing this beep go off. Finally the nurse checked it and she said "Oh, I think the battery is dying on your epidural machine". Uh, what? Well fix it then! After she said that she said she didn't really know how to fix it and went to get someone to help. I was beginning to realize a dull pain coming back on my right side. Sure enough, the epidural machine stopped working. She came back and thought she had fixed it, but it never did work again. So, now I'm ready to push because I'm in so much pain and the contractions are rolling over me, just making me miserable. The nurse told me I couldn't push until the doctor got there, and she wasn't going to be there for another hour. :eek: WHAT!?!?! That was all I was thinking. I was so mad that she was dictating when I could and couldn't push. So I started kind of pushing with each contraction...just enough to relieve some pain. FINALLY the doctor was getting ready to come and the nurse told me it was ok to start pushing. Half hour later my baby girl was born! She did turn out to be face up which was the cause for my intense contractions and back pain. She also had the cord wrapped around her neck TWICE (hence the heart rate dropping after each contraction). She was a tiny peanut, only 6 lbs 5 oz.

We got home last night and everything seemed to be going well...a little too well lol. She is sleeping all the time and I can barely get her to eat. I know it sounds like a miracle, but it made me so nervous because she wasn't eating anything and she was actually turning more yellow. So the doc had us come in today and her billirubin (sp?) levels were high enough to warrant her being on a billi blanket. We had a Home Health United person come by our house to set it up and show us how to use it. She looks like a little glow worm! It's an inconvenience, but I'm glad we caught it early and it should hopefully clear up in a couple days! Now I'm just trying to wrap my head around having two beautiful girls and what's in store for us in the coming years!! It's wonderful having her here and not being pregnant anymore Blum 3


Adeline Rose. Born at 1:29 pm on 1/24/11. 6 lbs 5 oz. 19 1/2 in.

Meeting her big sister for the first time.

First family photo.

Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 08/18/06
Posts: 36

Baby Lucas!
1/31/11, 12:09am
9 lbs 5 oz, 21 inches

Here's the story: All day Saturday I had very heavy brown discharge, but wasn't too concerned, then Sunday I woke up and when I wiped it was bright red, so I called the Dr's office and the on call provider said to go to L&D. By the time I got there it was about 11 am and the red was pretty much gone, and they checked me and I was at a 3. They wanted to see if anything would happen if I walked around for an hour so DH took DD to go get some lunch and I got to walking. About an hour later they checked me again and I was at a 5 so they admitted me. They hooked me to the monitor for about 45 minutes, then I went for another walk, when they checked me after I was at a 'stretchy' 6. By this point the contractions were picking up, but were still bearable.

My OB came and broke my water to get things going, and immediately the contractions picked up in intensity, but I was still able to breathe through them. They checked again an hour later and I was at a 7 so I went for another walk. By this point DD had gone to a friends house and DH was back at the hospital with me. We walked for about 45 and the contractions were bad enough to have to stop and breathe through. But then I stalled at a 7 for about 2 hours, so they started the pitocin, and because of that I also asked for an epidural, the contractions were really getting to be too strong. That made things fly and and by 1145 pm I was at a 10 ready to push. Lucas was born at 1209am on the 31st, 1 day before my due date! Weighed 9 pounds 5 ounces and is 21 inches long, everyone in the delivery room was shocked, both by his size and by the fact that I did not tear or need any stitches. He nursed right away and was doing really well, then Last night I noticed he was breathing a little heavy. That's when they found the small fluid pocket in his lungs. Not a big deal, they said he'll reabsorb it, but want to monitor him and give him antitbiotics to keep it from getting an infection. Hopefully we'll be going home tomorrow.

Now pictures!! My mom came and took a million so here's a few of them:
With his big sis Lola

Our first family pic, and of course I'm looking for a poop, this kid is a pooping machine!

Me, DD, and Lucas

kramsgirl's picture
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 03/22/08
Posts: 81

The quick stats:
Sawyer Cole was born on Wed Feb 9 at 10:03 am. -- 8lbs 6ozs & 20 inches long.


3 days old:

Birth Story:

On Monday evening I had pretty mild contractions for a couple hours and was convinced something would be happening by morning. Of course, nothing happened. Tuesday evening I only had a couple contractions all evening. Went to bed at 10:30 and woke up at midnight with contractions. They were 5 minutes apart and painful enough that I knew there was no more sleeping. Called the hospital at 1:15am and the nurse said I should probably stay at home for a while. At 2:00 we called MIL to come stay with DD. By the time she got here at 2:30 I couldn't walk or talk through contractions. So we headed for the hospital. At 3:00 I was 2cm & 50% effaced. Walked around for the next hour. At 4:00 i was 4cm. Got the epidural at 5:30. My blood pressure dropped and I got very light headed... they put something in my IV and I didn't have trouble with it after that. At 7am I was 6cm. At 8 Dr broke my water. I was 7cm 90% and -1 station at that point. At 9:51 I started pushing and at 10:03 Sawyer was born. He's been doing great! Seemed to be having some tummy troubles last night but is nursing better again today.

Clarkton's picture
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/07/08
Posts: 1972

Ryne James
born at 6:09 am Thursday morning, 2/3/11
weighing 7 lbs 4 oz and 21.5"

Some events of the week leading up to his birth:
They did the GBS swab and doctor said I was dilated to 1.5 cm at my last check-up a week earlier. I had lots of uterus tightening and lower back cramping the rest of the afternoon after that check-up. I guess things were irritated from the doctor's check even though it didn't hurt. I ended up leaving work a little early to go home and rest. Starting that Monday I was noticing lots more BH's and some lower back cramps from time to time that felt like light contractions. These occured throughout the day just sitting at my desk working, especially toward the end of the day. This was my last week of work and I was trying to finish a project so I worked until 6:30 to 7:30 each night. I really didn't think much of this activity though b/c there were quite a few ladies on here describing much more intense contractions that would occur daily and then stop so I figured mine wasn't anywhere near as intense and could go on like that for weeks. So, Wednesday was the same BH's and lower back ache as it had been. I got home from work around 7 and did the usual eat dinner and get DS bathed and in bed. It was right at 10:45 when I was able to get in bed and as I laid down and rolled over I felt a little gush. :eek:

It wasn't much but I was pretty sure my water just broke. I got up and went to the potty...after a few more minutes moving around with more leaking I woke up DH and told him what was going on. I didn't want to go to the hospital yet b/c I wasn't having any contractions and I wanted to labor naturally. I was afraid they'd want to give me something to get labor going if I went in. I debated on even calling my doc's office but wanted to let them know in case I did end up progressing quickly. After talking to the on-call doc the nurse told me it was ok if I stayed home and waited for things to get going. I was to go to the hospital if labor started but if morning came with no progress I was to go to the docs office around 9 am.

I had a lower back ache but no contractions yet. I went ahead and packed a hospital bag and around 1 DS woke up fussing. He usually comes and crawls in bed with us at some point during the night but it's usually closer to morning. I was starting to have some mild contractions around this time but thought I should try to get some rest so I laid down with DS. It wasn't 20 min. before I decided I was too uncomfy to lay down so I got up and got in the shower. Things were picking up quickly now...by the time I was done in the shower (maybe 30 min.) I told DH we better go to the hospital. I had realized at this point baby had dropped pretty low. The knot that had been under my ribs for weeks was now at my belly button. I was having to keep moving to work through the contractions now. I was having all back labor again but what worked to cope when I was in labor with DS did not feel good with this one. I found that pacing was the best thing to do so having to get in the car at this point wasn't very comfortable. Contractions were coming about every 2.5 to 3 minutes on the way to the hospital. We got there around 3:15 am and I was shown up to labor and delivery while DH parked. Now began the battle for me to be up and moving while the staff kept wanting me to lay still in bed so they could poke on me and listen to the baby. They immediately wanted to get an IV started so they could take blood / run tests. They checked me in triage and said I was at 3 cm. After they got me into a room I asked if I could get in the shower to see if it helped my lower back pain through contractions. The nurse talked me into laying in bed for just 20 minutes so they could monitor the baby. A few minutes into the monitoring she tells me the on-call doc wants me to have the antibiotics since I'm not 37 weeks yet regardless of the GBS results. This is going to take an hour she says. I realize they are never going to let me up and I'm not getting in the shower.

So I continued to labor in the bed on my left side. It was the most comfortable position for me. At the time I got in the bed it was becoming more difficult to deal with the contractions by walking it off. I coped through the rest of labor with vocalizing through contractions and really concentrating on relaxing. I noticed if I didn't really try to relax I would arch my back and tense my shoulders which made it more painful. So I focused on not doing those 2 things and every now and then it felt like my body was pushing during a contraction...I guess this was just baby continuing to move down. I mostly kept my eyes closed during all this and just rested between contractions and before long it was time to push.

The resident who had come in and introduced herself earlier was the one to attend the birth. I started pushing as I felt like it and some contractions I just took a break and tried to let things stretch. I jokingly asked during one of these rests if I could get my epidural now...I thought pushing was much more painful this time than I remember with DS. Of course, he was 2.5 lbs smaller so maybe that had something to do with it. Wink I don't know exactly how long pushing lasted but it couldn't have been more than 30 minutes. Not counting the ones where I rested I think I only pushed during like 5 contractions. As he was crowning they asked DH if he wanted to cut the cord. I don't remember who announced it but someone said it's a boy! I was like no way...totally had a girl feeling but nope he's definitely a boy. He cried just a little when he was first born and his apgars were 8 and 9. I still tore...they said 2nd degree which was the same as with DS1 but this time it was to the back instead of the front. I really have found recovery from that to be much easier this time around.

My doc dropped by my room a few hours after birth and was like "what happened?" I said I told you I go fast, lol. I went from 6 cm to baby born in less than an hour with DS and I expected this one would go quickly at the end too. He said they had called the on-call doc (his partner) right before 6 am telling her I was at 7 cm and then next thing she hears is baby has arrived. It didn't really bother me either way...I like my doctor but for delivery I just really needed someone to catch the baby. Blum 3

We didn't try to nurse right away. I spent about an hour in the delivery room before they moved us. DS was in the room the whole time but they had him over to the side doing all their measurements and checks. DH spent most of this time over by Ryne.

I was actually ok with this as I was exhausted. But I did get to hold him some too.

DS1 came to meet his little brother that afternoon. He seemed very excited to have a little brother and wanted to hold him right away.

Going home the next day...please overlook that I look terrible in this picture

Shummel's picture
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 07/22/08
Posts: 104

Teresa Joy "Rese" born February 11, 2011 at 10:27am. 39w 2d. 7lb 6oz 20in.

I had been having regular contractions on and off since about 36 weeks - so was never sure if I was going to know when it was "the real thing". Thursday night, Feb 10, I went to my sister's for dinner. While I was there, her DH brought me a decaf chocolate coconut latte - yumm! I'm wondering if that's what did it?? I left my sister's house around 7:30p and was having some pretty strong contrax. I was feeling like maybe I shouldn't be driving! DH was at church and I was contemplating calling him to come home - I had one really strong contraction and decided to go ahead and call.

I got home around Mosking and DH met me there. I ran DS a bath and started bouncing on my birth ball while DH and I watched American Idol. We watched the whole show and at 9p I started feeling "better" and figured I'd better try to sleep. I put DS to bed and I laid down on the couch next to DH to get some rest while we watched another show - not sure what it was. A little after 9:30p I felt a small gush of fluid. I jumped up off the couch and said "I think my water just broke!" I ran to the bathroom and didn't have any more fluid coming out but my underwear was soaked.

I called the afterhours number at the midwifery center and left a message and texted my sister and mom to let them know something was up. Because of my GBS + status the mw had me come right in.

We dropped DS off at a friend's house and headed into the midwifery center. On the way there my contrax started getting a lot stronger and my water fully broke the rest of the way! I was SOAKED!! My sister was there when we arrived. She grabbed a wheelchair and got me up to our room while DH parked the car and grabbed all of our stuff.

The mw checked me and I was 2 - 3cm and 80% - 90% effaced. She said to do whatever I could to rest because it looked like I would be laboring over night and would need my strength. I tried to lay down on the queen bed in the room but I couldn't get comfortable. I sat in the rocking chair and closed my eyes. I had my "Beautiful Exchange" Hillsong CD playing in the room and they had the jacuzzi tub filled and rippling. It was really peaceful. My DH, mom, and sister all decided to sleep in the bed instead Smile

At about 3a I was having a harder time relaxing. I went into the lobby (right outside my door) where my SIL and her friend were hanging out. We sat there for a couple of hours talking with my mw and my nurse. SIL timed contrax through that time. They stayed about exactly 3 min apart. More water gushed out at every contraction and they were getting more painful. Around 6a I decided I wanted to walk a bit but I couldn't walk through the contrax - I went back in my room and leaned on DH rocking my hips and moaning through contrax.

An hour later DH wanted me to be checked. I was nervous to be checked because I knew the contrax just weren't close enough together to have done much - but DH was anxious for me to be able to get in the tub - he was hoping that would relieve some of the pain. I declined the check - Mw suggested I get in the shower. I sat on the birthing ball leaning over a shelf with the water pouring down my back. Contrax were much more manageable but also slowing down.

My nurse Megan came in and said she was leaving and Erica would be taking over. I cried! I begged her to take me with her! Haha! She said she would come back to check on me that night and meet my baby girl (she did - she was so awesome!) DH asked mw to check my cervix hoping the crying was a good sign. At 8a I was only 4cm.

Mw got me out of the shower since water seemed to be slowing down contrax. I leaned on DH some more and then decided to try the shower again. Even if it slowed things down again, I could at least get some relief - I actually dozed off a couple of times in there.

I got out and was crying sitting on the toilet when mw asked me what I wanted to do. I kept saying I was so tired and I just wanted to sleep. She asked what she could do for me. She asked if I was saying I wanted an epi (I think she was trying to gauge where I was at mentally) - I said of course not. She asked if I wanted some benedryl to help get the edge off and maybe I could sleep - she also offered getting out the breastpump. I didn't want anything - I just wanted the baby to come. I was nervous any type of intervention could slow things down more. I stood some more leaning on DH.

At about 10a DH asked for another check which I agreed to. I was 6 cm. Mw said baby and I were both "flat" and asked the nurse to get me a fluid bag - she thought that might help me progress. I had been drinking but really just small sips here and there. I already had the heplock in for the antibiotics so the fluids came quickly and I decided to focus on that mentally - pretending the bag of saline was actually medication Smile Mw was happy with the 6cm tho and said things should move more quickly now that I had gotten past the 5 cm mark - boy was she right!

Mw had me lean over the birthing ball in the bed on my hands and knees - suddenly the pain was getting really intense really fast! I was letting out small screams while everyone was rubbing me in different areas trying to get me to relax. I couldn't hold still I had to move! Nurse quickly moved me to sitting on the ball leaning over the bed. That was no good either. I felt myself pushing! I was freaked out because I had literally just been checked and I was only a 6! I was saying that I couldn't relax that I needed help - I was so scared because my body literally took over and I couldn't control anything. When I said that I couldn't stop pushing and it was burning my SIL quickly ran out to grab the mw.

She ran in and ordered me onto the bed for a check - I told her I didn't want to be checked! I assumed I was still a 6 and just didn't want to hear that again. I kept saying I couldn't do it anymore... She insisted that she check me immediately! I laid down and she said - of course you can't do it anymore - her head is almost out! Just push out your baby! I begged to get in the tub (they had been waiting for me to be 7cm to allow it - bummer!) and she said there wasn't time I just needed to push!

Pushing was the most incredibly intense, amazing feeling in the whole world! As soon as I knew it was ok to be pushing I felt completely back in control. Everytime I had a contraction, my body pushed little Rese down a little more. No one told me how to push or when - I just did what felt natural. Everyone was giving me the play by play of what was going on, telling me when they saw her head and saying that she had hair! It was so exciting to hear the "news" from that end and kept me excited and focused on meeting my little girl.

Once her head was all the way out her shoulders got stuck. My family later said that the mw had been pulling gently on her head but she just wasn't coming. Not sure how long it was exactly but mw looked me in the eye and said, "I need you to stop whining and push your baby the rest of the way out". I was freaked out by the look in her eyes - I said "But I'm not having a contraction right now." and she said "I don't care". I was like - yikes! I pushed with all my might and she popped the rest of the way out! With a nice little tear Sad Oh well!

Rese was immediately put on my chest while mw asked for some novocain to get me stitched up. Rese just wanted to sleep but she was turning purple and then blue - she was literally the color of the girl violet on Willy Wonka when she eats the blueberry pie gum! I said something about how blue she was - mw picked her up and rubbed her vigorously until she started full on screaming. She was pink pink pink after that! At some point the placenta came out, I got stitched up (that was crazy painful!), and the cord was cut.

Rese started nursing at 11:15am - only 45 minutes old. I started trying within 15 min of birth and it took her about 30 to get what was going on - but when she finally latched right and started sucking it was like heaven for me! :cloud9: I got the full bonding experience that I never got with DS. I felt so complete - so in love - so happy! I wasn't tired anymore for sure! Smile

At around noon a nursery nurse came in and asked if we wanted to have her weighed yet. I told her I wasn't ready to give her up just yet - I asked if she could just hang out for a few min. She was cool with that - Rese had pooped on my stomach and it was getting all over the blankets - so she just helped clean up around and changed out the blankets and stuck a diaper on her while I was holding her.

Finally I was ready to let them check her out. They took her right beside my bed and weighed and measured her. They asked if it was ok to give her the vitamin K shot and eye ointment now - I had already agreed to both. I said yes - they did that and then gave her right back to me.

Later I let them come back and help DH give her a bath in the room. They put her in a little footie pj outfit I brought for her - all fresh and clean and pink Smile

Here are some pix:

She is an absolute angel! She loves to snuggle and only cries when she's cold. We are co-sleeping right now which is amazing. Saw the dr. for her 4 day check up yesterday and has already gained back her birthweight! yahoo! My milk came in two nights ago - I'm still a little engorged but it's not been as painful this time as with DS - thank God!!

Big brother is so good. The first time he held her he had tears streaming down his face. I asked him why he was crying and he said it was because he just loved her so much! He told me this morning that she is our baby, we are going to keep her forever, and no bad guys will ever get her. Smile

Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 11/08/07
Posts: 115
Claire's Birth Story


I woke up at 3am on Wednesday Feb 2 with some very random but noticeable contractions. At that moment I knew this was going to be the day (I was 40w that day). The BH I had been feeling for weeks were all in my stomach, well now they had started up in my back. I had back labor with all three kids.

So I went to the couch and tried resting while watching TV. I noticed it was freezing in the house so I checked the thermostat and the house was only 55 degrees! Darn furnace died in the night. Around 5am I started timing the contractions and they were 5-10min apart. At 5:15am I get a call saying that DD wasn't going to have school due to the huge snowstorm that hit the country. So the kids got up around 7am and I went and woke DH up so that he could figure out what to do with the furnace before we had to leave for the hospital. I also called my mom at that time to come and get the kids before the weather/roads got much worse. By 8:30am mom had come to get the kids and the furnace guy was on his way. That is when I finally packed my hospital bag. LOL I also called my Doc's office to cancel my appt that was scheduled for later that day and of course to give him a heads up.

After the furnace guy left (cost us $650 ) around 9am I sat back down to time the contractions they were spacing out some 7-12 minutes. DH was starting to hover and stress me out so I suggested he go to work and get some things done (his office is 3 minutes away) and I would call him later. When things really stared spacing out I was worried about the labor stopping so I headed downstairs and walked on the treadmill. I took a magazine to read and walked 1.5 miles in 45 minutes. The frequency, and strength definitely picked up after that. I was around noon so I made myself some lunch and kept timing contractions while watching my soap opera.

Around 2pm DH came home and the contractions were coming every 3-5 minutes and lasting 1 minute. Around 3:30pm the contractions were starting to come about every 2min with the back and hip pain becoming MUCH stronger. So we left for the hospital (3 blocks away) and I was hooked up to the monitors by 4pm.

At my appointment 5 days earlier I was 3-4 cm and 75% effaced. When they checked me at the hosp. I was 5-6, 100%, with a bulging bag of water. It makes sense now why the contractions got so strong so quick at home, I was heading into transitional phase of labor. As soon as I found out I was only 5-6 I asked for an epidural. Of course it was 1.5 hours before the anesthesiologist came and after 2 tries and 30 minutes the epidural was finally in. By now it's 6pm (2 hours since arriving). Something interesting was when I told epi guy the last time the epi was spotty. He said because of my tall height (6'0") he would give me extra drugs? Ever heard of that?

Doc came in minutes after the epidural and I was in total moaning phase at that point. I was so freaked out because I was in MORE pain after getting the epidural then before it. So as Doc is washing his hands and I'm moaning like crazy, he says, "sounds like she is complete." WHAT?! It's only been a few hours and the epidural isn't working yet. I can't be complete. Well sure enough I was complete and -1 station. at that time Doc broke my water and then told me that once I get "the urge" let him know. Apparently sitting in the "epidural position" helps some women move quickly is what the nurse and Doc said. So about 15-20 minutes later I still wasn't having the urge but he checked me again DD2 was nearly crowning! Guess the epi was working after all. So with one push her head came and with another push Claire came into the world at 6:35pm on 2/2/11. I was hoping for another red head like myself and DD1 but she has a thick head of black like DS.

She was the first baby I was able to have her on my chest right after birth. What a surreal experience that was. She was 9lb13oz and 22" long. Surprisingly I only ended up with two stitches. With DS, who was 1 pound smaller, delivered over six contractions, but I torn FAR worse with him. This has been my best recovery hands down.


Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 11/23/07
Posts: 870

William Joseph S. Junior, 2-14-11, 8lb 11 oz, 20 inches 6:36 AM

hopefully my laptop battery won't die and i'll get plenty of time before Bubba wants me. he's been sleeping all day, i wake him up to feed him!

So .... after 5 days of false starts.... and then some.... i'm tired, i'm sore, and i'm miserable. my dedication to no intervention NCB was wavering and i was not happy with myself. so i did what i could, try every natural method of induction available. At a little after 9 the night of the 13th, after we spent all day getting the car fixed i got DH to DTD. that got some stuff started. tried to nurse DD to sleep but she was thrown off by a late catnap!

So DD ran around terrorizing the house while i bounced on my ball and timed contractions. at 11:30 i finally got DD to lay down, nursed her, which totally kicked up the intensity even more, and woke DH up. or tried to. he woke up after half an hour and 3 tries on my part. but once he was up i called the hospital, and the awesome OB who i only got to see once 3 weeks ago was on call! the receptionist asked which Dr i usually saw... and i said i just wanted to talk to her, the on call one. first clue that this would go well.

so it took us a whole 5 minutes to get to the hospital, got checked in and sent up, and i totally forgot to ask for a room with a good tub, but its ok, they all have jetted jacuzis anyway! so i got a great nurse, she checked me and thought i was at a good 7, but i'm telling you, my cervix was hard to reach! contractions spaced out slightly because of alll the changes, so we walked laps to kick it up again. wasn't working. so i bounced on the ball. that DID work, but after a few more shifts because my hips kinda got stuck in that position, labor started to slow down and stall.

So the OB came in and asked what i wanted to do, and i asked her to break my water, i didn't want to go through it for any longer, and i didnt want to come back in 2 days and i was just so DONE. I had started thinking of the risks of going overdue- meconium, distress, baby growing even bigger...... so we went with it 4:40 AM. 10 minutes later i had a WICKED contraction finally, shuffled and whined through about an hour of laps in the hall, then i was like freaking out. the nurse offered to fill the tub and i begged her to- so she had me go through a couple on the toilet, which was VERY difficult for me, but she was afraid of my labor stalling, and so was i, so we waited until i was borderline gonna freak out before i got into the tub. Only made it through about 6 contractions, the first ones felt SOOO much better, but then they got really intense again and i was just trying to smash DH's hand and the nurse was GREAT, kept telling me to blow the contraction away, which i did, and i kept visiualizing myself blowing angrily at birthday candles- and it didnt even make me laugh.

so i got out of the tub after maybe 20 minutes, thinking maybe it was time to push. and IT WAS! the OB came and checked me, i had made it to all 4's on the bed, and they asked if i wanted to be like that, and i said it was as far as i had made it! So i rolled onto one side, and i told the OB the pain was all in my back and hips, so she checked again to see which way the baby was and he was almost OP.... not straight, but kinda at an angle, so she asked me to push and she tried to turn the baby. not really a pleasant feeling, but i don't think her hand made a difference really, if anything the turning totaly helped. After a few minutes she said to try another position, we went to kneeling and leaning over the bed, then squatting which was great! as long as i was pushing i felt so much better.

they kept telling me to curl into a c shape, focus on pushing the baby around the corner, and it was great visualization for me. (with DD i remember the OB telling me "you have to get the baby around your tailbone" and then he stepped back, left me on my back in the bed and walked away. DH liked this OB MUCH better) DH was telling me how great i was doing, i was thinking of asking for the mirror because i thought i'd like to see my slow progress, assuming that it would take a while, even if it wasnt 2 hrs. Well, after a total of about 20 minutes pushing... DH, who was tired, hungry, hot, and standing with his knees locked says "i need to get out of here" the nurses thought he was going to pass out and told him to sit down, but he walked out the door and got a cold drink. and right then the baby started to crown! i had no idea i had moved him that far that fast! so one nurse RUNS out the door to get DH, he came right back in, and i delivered baby's head, they kept encouraging me to keep pushing, which i did because i totally never felt like the contraction stopped, i'd pant, take a deep breath and then push again as much as i could.

the OB tried to very gently to ease the shoulders out one at a time- i just kept pushing for all i was worth- and then out came BUBBA! DH didnt even bother announcing it, he just screamed YES! LOL! i saw the junk though, and i was like... WTF am i supposed to do with a boy? but i hugged him and it was great they totally let me keep him skin to skin, the OB waited until the cord stopped pulsing, then DH cut it, and she showed us the placenta and stuff.

then she had to stitch up my 2nd degree tear which was right along my scar from DD, which i figured was damn lucky considering that his head was almost an inch bigger around and he's got huge shoulders! he looks so skinny, i would have bet he weighed less than DD, but he had 3 oz on her!

I did have a little PPH issue, i sat up to go use the restroom about an hr after he was born and FLOODED the bed, the nurse weouldnt let me up, my uterus really seemed to be contracting well, but i massaged it myself to help while she cleaned up a little, then after a few minutes went and got some cytotec, which gave me wicked cramps for HOURS, but it helped. doing much better now, bleeding is totally under control.

MichelleBell's picture
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/09/10
Posts: 93

My labor started on the evening of Feb. 13th (Sunday night). When I went to bed around 11:00, my contractions were coming regularly, but not close enough together. I couldn't sleep at all. By 2:30 am, the contractions were 5 minutes apart so I woke up my DH. We started gathering our stuff together for the hospital. I lost my mucus plug, and then about 5 minutes later I was standing in the bathroom and GUSH -- my water breaks. And it was a lot of water -- much more than they told me it would be in my birth classes! I called my doctor and she said to go on into the hospital. We arrived at 4:30 am and they got me all settled in. I was only dilated to 1 1/2 cm and 100% effaced. Very disappointing!!

I was doing a good job of breathing through contractions for the first couple of hours, but the contractions were becoming progressively more painful. I was so happy I had my birth ball there. Sitting on it felt the best to me. By 10:30 am I was having a hard time concentrating on my breathing and I was becoming exhausted without any sleep and no food. I asked for an epidural. The nurse checked me and I was thankfully 4 to 5 cm dilated. I had the epidural by 11:00 am and I was like a new person. I was able to rest and I made my DH sneak me some crackers to eat. The nurse checked me again a while later, and I was only at 6 cm, so they started giving me pitocin. I was on that for about 2 hours and they checked me again -- still not progressing. So they turned the pitocin up even higher, and my contractions became more regular. DH and I started to worry that my body wasn't going to do what it was supposed to do and I would end up getting a c/s. Thankfully, the next time the nurse checked me at 3:00 pm, I was dilated to a 10 and she could feel the baby's head descending. I was sooooo relieved.

The doctor came in by 4:00 pm and I started to push. They ended up turning my epidural down because I couldn't feel a thing to push. It started to go much better once I could feel the pressure building with each contraction and push into that. I pushed for an hour, and I just couldn't push him out. The doctor told me they'd like to do an episiotomy to help him out since I was stretched as far as I could go. I went in not wanting an episiotomy, but at this point, I just wanted him out. I agreed and the doctor did it. I pushed again, and he still wouldn't come out. By this time they had put me on oxygen and the baby started to show signs of distress. His heartrate was dropping, so the doctor decided to do a vacuum extraction. On the next contraction, I pushed, and the doctor pulled and his head was out. The cord was across his next so they removed that and they asked me to push again. One more push and he was out. It was the best feeling in the world!!!!!!! They immediately put him on my belly so I could see him. He was screaming his head off. They took him to clean him up, and I could see my DH start to cry as he met him. So sweet!

They brought him back after cleaning him and we tried to do some breastfeeding. It was all just so incredible and emotional from start to finish. Sheldon's apgars were 8 and 9 and he was perfectly healthy. He was only 5 lbs, 11 ozs, and 19 3/4" long. Very long and lean, and strong! The doctors and nurses were all very concerned about his size, but he's a tough, scrappy little guy, and he did great in the hospital. Some jaundice, but not too much. He was 5 lbs, 7 ozs. when we left the hospital. The next day he was back up to 5 lbs, 10 ozs, and the day after that he was 5 lbs, 14 ozs. We have another pediatrician appt. tomorrow and I think he's going to clear 6 lbs!! Let's just say my breastmilk came in the day after we left the hospital and he's been feeding like a champ!

That's my story. It was a week ago yesterday that I gave birth to him. He's so precious and my DH and I are so in love with him. Here's one pic of him, and there are more pictures on flickr, too. I hope you can see them. Thanks for listening!

He's 4 days old here:

Kissing his little red head!


momto3toB's picture
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 08/27/10
Posts: 113

We had a baby girl!! Hazel Sarah arrived at 6:13 this morning Feb 24th weighing 8 lbs 1 oz and 21 in. We are all doing well.

Wednesday morning, the 23rd, I woke up having more regular contractions, they were about 8-15 minutes apart all day. I went about my normal business and even had an appt with my midwife. At about 6:30 pm I started timing them, they were now regularly 7-9 minutes apart and a little bit stronger. They stayed that way until about midnight and I decided to try and get some sleep. I figured the'd either go away or they wouldn't.

I woke up at about 1:30 and I was afraid that everything had stopped. So I decided to go downstairs and have a snack. Turns out they hadn't stopped, they were still the same. So about a half hour later I was getting ready to go back to sleep when all of a sudden they jumped to about 5 minutes apart and noticeably stronger. I waited about and hour or so just to see, but I was feeling like it was time. So I woke up DH and called the midwife.

We got to the birthing center at about 4:15. My midwife was filling the tub and getting things ready. When the tub was ready, she said that I didn't seem as far along as she had originally thought and that I didn't want to get in the tub too soon or it could slow things down. DH counted my contractions for 15 min and I was feeling that the contractions were pretty intense and I wanted to get in the tub. I asked the midwife if she would check me so we'd know if I could get in the tub. It's now about 5 am. She checked me and thankfully, and to her surprise, I was a stretchy 8 and completely effaced. So I could definitely get in the pool.

Here's where things get a little hazy. I felt like I was barely in the pool before I felt like pushing. To me it seems like it was only a few contractions, but DH assures me I was in there for a while. As I remember almost as soon as I got in the tub the contractions became extremely intense. I was so uncomfortable and wow. I pushed a little bit in the tub until I felt like I needed to get out. When I stood up my water broke. I made it to the bed and ended up laying on my side pushing.If I had to guess it was somewhere between 5:30 and 5:45. I do have to admit that once I started really pushing it felt much better. After several pushes and a lot more screaming than I intended, her head popped out... face up. Everyone was very surprised that she was OP. The next push she came out. I was in shock that she really was a girl and I think the first thing I said was about the amount of long black hair that she had. DH and DD were there and watched the whole thing, while my sister and DS were in the other room waiting.

I couldn't believe that DD stayed for the whole thing. When DH asked her about it later she said that all the blood was gross, my yelling was a little scary, and that watching the baby come out was really cool.

Hazel was covered in meconium but showed no signs of aspiration. It was really cool to have her on me right away and start breastfeeding her. I think my placenta tore slightly and I was bleeding more than they wanted me to. So they gave me a few different herbal concoctions and finally a shot of pitocin. Finally the bleeding stopped and everything was alright. I lost more blood than usual, but when I finally got up, I felt fine. I didn't tear at all which was amazing and had hardly any swelling. They gave me an ice pack there, but I didn't need another one. I healed amazingly quickly and all the soreness was gone in a day or two. I was, and am, amazed. I remember being sore for weeks after DS.

The first couple of day were tough on Hazel. She had definitely swallowed some of the meconium and ended up spitting it up after we got home. She did not sleep well the first 24 hours and has had some gassy digestive issues. It seems to be getting better now that my milk is in and she did great last night. I had to wake her up every three hours to eat. Needless to say we both got a fairly good nights sleep.

She is amazing and I can't imagine her not being part of our family. Everyone seems to be adjusting well.

right after delivery

after being weighed, first diaper

family photo

LaurenE's picture
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 06/19/10
Posts: 854

Sorry it took me so long to get this up. I have been very busy with Malia, my older two, and visitors this week! Congrats to everyone who has had their LO's! I have been lurking; just not posting. This turned out way longer than I imagined, but I could not think of a way to shorten it and do it justice. I copied this from my journal so FYI: DH is Carlos, my sister is Christy, and my other kids are Emily and Cody.

Malia Claire C*****’s Birth Story

Malia’s birth story really starts at about 35 weeks; this is when I started losing my mucus plug and having lots of contractions. Every evening from about 35 weeks on I would have contractions about five minutes apart. They were always somewhat painful, but not bad at all. They would last several hours and every night I would go to bed figuring that I wouldn’t be able to sleep if I was really in labor. At first I would get excited every evening, but after a few weeks these were just an annoyance.

At about 38 weeks I started walking just about every evening to try to get the contractions to be more productive. They would occasionally get more painful, but would always go away after I went to sleep. After my due date I started to get impatient and my doctor was beginning to push for induction. After researching natural induction methods I decided to try drinking castor oil. Worst case scenario: I would finally have some relief for my constipation!

So on February 19 (one day past my due date) I took two tablespoons of castor oil mixed with a strawberry milkshake at 7:00 PM. When nothing seemed to be happening I took two more tablespoons at 8:00. I vomited everything up at about 9:00 and figured there would be nothing left to make a difference. I felt puny and horrible and decided to go to bed, but my tummy was too upset and I couldn’t sleep. Then I had diarrhea at 10:00 and started having my evening contractions about seven minutes apart. I felt much better, but got somewhat excited and got up around 11:00 and started watching TV with Carlos. I continued to have contractions and they got to be about five minutes apart, but this was really not very unusual. At 1:00 AM the excitement had worn off and I figured that this was just my usual evening contractions as they did not feel any different than what I had been having for the past five weeks and decided to go to bed.

I fell asleep immediately. I got up about 2:00 and again about 3:00 and noticed I was still having contractions, but they were not any more painful than usual so I went back to bed. At 4:30 I got up to use the bathroom again and noticed the contractions were a little more intense. They weren’t really painful, but I had a lot of pressure with each one. I timed a few of them and they were three minutes apart. I went ahead and woke up Carlos and told him what was going on. He asked if he had time to take a shower and I said yes and that I was going to take one too. I called Christy at about 5:00. I told her I wasn’t sure I was really in labor so I was sorry if I woke her up for nothing, but I thought I was in labor and wanted to give her a heads up so she could watch Em and Cody. She asked me to call her when we were 15 minutes away (she lives about 45 minutes away). Carlos called the doctor to let them know what was going on and they said they would give L&D a call and let them know we were on our way.

I asked Carlos to get in the shower with me because the contractions were getting more intense at that point. I had to hold onto him during contractions. Christy called while I was in the shower and I called her back when I got out. We were thinking the same thing; she should come to us instead of me driving there.

We were trying to pack up the last minute things like toiletries, but the contractions were getting to difficult for me to keep packing. I told Carlos we needed to go ahead and go to the hospital and so he woke up the kids. I called Christy at 5:51 to see if she was almost there. She said she wasn’t really close yet and I let her know we were going to go ahead and go to the hospital. While we were on the phone I felt like I “leaked” a little during a contraction. When I went to the bathroom I realized it was a little bit of blood. I asked Christy to call Carlos and tell him to put the kids in the car. I was feeling a little “pushy” and wanted to get to the hospital asap. When I came out of the bathroom Cody was sitting on the bed crying (no fun getting woken up from a good sleep) and didn’t want to get ready to go. I told Carlos to just grab him and put him in the car. I think when Cody realized how much pain I was in he calmed down a little bit because he stopped crying. Em was an excited ball of energy! We got out to the car and I had another contraction. At this point they were about a minute apart and very intense (although still not really painful)! I had a contraction when I was getting in the car and had to wait for it to pass so I could get in.
Thankfully the hospital is 3-5 minutes away depending on whether the one light is red or green. It was red. I was starting to have to breathe quickly to keep from pushing. I came very close to telling Carlos to run that red light!

When we got to the hospital we went around to the emergency entrance. I told Carlos to let me out at the door while he parked the car. I went into the hospital and there was a desk, but nobody was there. I had to stop and lean on the desk for a rather vocal contraction. Then I walked over to the emergency room. I walked in and said, “Ma’am”. The lady told me, “Sign in if you need to be seen”. I told her, “No. I need to go to L&D NOW and I need help”. Then I had another contraction. I guess that convinced them, because they got a wheel chair to take me up. Carlos and the kids got there at the same time.

A little bit labor we were finally at labor and delivery. They sent me to room seven and a nurse came in and started asking me questions like my birth date and my social security number and telling me she needed a urine sample. My only answer was that I needed to push. While she was trying to get information out of me I felt a pop and a gush and knew my water had broken. I told the nurse and told her my babies come fast after my water breaks. She told me to go get the gown on. The pressure and pain were getting very intense. Carlos helped me undress and put the gown on and helped me to the bed. I kept saying I needed to push and they kept telling me no so I was trying very hard not to.
There were several people in there at that point and they asked if we wanted the kids there. Carlos said he didn’t know and the nurse told him we better decide fast. I said, “No! Get them out!”. I guess I figured they had been traumatized enough at that point! Carlos took them out to the waiting room and got them watching the Disney Channel. Christy hadn’t gotten there yet so they were on their own for a little bit.
The nurses were trying to get the baby on the monitor and check me. They couldn’t get her heart beat and I was getting very nervous. When they checked me I was complete and a plus three station, which basically means the baby’s head is about to come out. They started yelling that they needed this or that and telling me not to push and to wait for the doctor and NICU to get there. Having never experienced (nor wanted to ever experience) natural child birth, I had no idea just how powerful the urge to push really is. As hard as I tried not to push my body took control and pushed anyway. Carlos was wonderful; having me look at him and holding my hand. The pressure and pain was unbearable to say the least. I asked for medicine at one point. I knew it was too late for an epidural, but I was hoping they could give me a shot of something. Carlos later told me her head was already out at that point. The next contraction, at 6:20 AM on Sunday, February 20, 2011 Malia Claire came into this world.

Later, Carlos told me the ER doctor only had one arm in his sleeve and that a nurse caught Malia. Later, I was told all kinds of things. At that moment time had stopped. I asked several times if she was okay and finally was reassured that she was. I stared at my daughter and was only semi-aware of the doctor trying to deliver the placenta and the hum of activity around me. Finally, she was put in my arms. Malia Claire Callo. She was 7 lbs. 10 oz. and 19 ¾ inches of perfection. I cannot describe how I felt in those moments that I first held her in my arms. This is the third time I have gotten to experience the utter joy of bringing my child into this world. It does not get any less amazing. The immediate immersion of love is not any less. She was, is, and always will be, a miracle.

When Time Stopped:

Meeting Emily and Cody:

My Daddy:

Pretty Girl:

Coming Home:



First Doctor's Appointment:

Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/03/10
Posts: 28

I was due February 18th, but didn't go into labor on my own and was induced at 41 weeks on February 27th. I started out with cervidil that didn't do much to my cervix, so they started me on cytotec the morning of the 28th. The cervidil had gotten regular painless contractions going at about midnight the night they started it. The cytotec strengthened them so that every other one was a little hard to talk through.

The first dose of cytotec didn't do anything except make my cervix efface more, so at 2:30 PM they started a 2nd dose. That made my contractions even stronger. I was leaning against my husband trying to breathe through almost every single one. That STILL didn't do much except dilate me one more centimeter. I cracked. I begged the midwife to let me go home. They talked about it, and talked me into staying another night and they'd give me something to relax me. Well, shortly before midnight, shocker, my water broke!! They'd given me a dose of fentinol to help me sleep, and it crashed me out(after making me throw up! Lol). I woke up to this HUGE gush of fluid that kept going and going. I paged a nurse who helped me get up to the bathroom, and the rest of my water leaked into the toilet. Then things got unbearable. I was still only dilated to a 4, but I begged for an epidural because the contractions were making me nauseated. The nurse gave me another dose of fentinol to relax while anasthesia started my epidural. I fell asleep again after texting my husband to let him know my water broke.

At about 4 AM, the midwife came in to check me again and start pitocin because my contractions stalled out. I was at a 5 and 75% effaced, all from my own body's work. She started pitocin, and I fell back to sleep.

I woke up at 7 AM March 1st with a lot of pain and pressure down low in my pelvis. The midwife came in and checked me at about 7:30, and I was dilated to a 10, and mostly fully effaced, except for a small lip, and my daughter's head was at a +2. She left me to labor down more to get rid of the lip while I called my husband to come up to the hospital.

This is where things got interesting. They had to put me on oxygen because my little girl's heartbeat was dropping. Finally, it was time to push after they'd put a scalp electrode on her to monitor her. They told me they were going to use forceps to get her out as quickly as possible so as to avoid a c-section. At 8:45, I started pushing. I pushed 4 times and she was out, and quickly whisked over to the warmer to check her over, and it was time to deliver my placenta.

After that, they repaired my tear, a 3rd degree tear. They showed my husband the placenta, which had an interesting feature. Instead of being attached in the center of the placenta, the cord was attached at the edge by several veins to the membrane outside the placenta(I can't remember what they called it). The midwife who delivered my daughter said her dip in heart rate was likely due to her weight putting pressure on those veins and making it seem like her heart was dipping even though it wasn't.

Overall, the birth was scary, but so worth it. Cailyn was born at 8:58 AM and was 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 inches long. We're home as of March 2nd, and doing well. My milk has already come in, and she's feeding well, even after a bit of a rough start.

A couple pics:

Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/31/10
Posts: 41

Grace LaNette is here


Everything went well with the c-section. She was born yesterday at 1:03pm and weighed in at 7lbs, 20 in. long. She is perfect and we are in love! I'll update with pics when we get home and her birth story.

Update: We got to the hospital at the scheduled time of 10:30, got hooked up the machines and started with the million questions. I was doing my best to stay calm since I was really nervous about the spinal block. My DH was exceedingly wonderful that day. When it was time, I cried a little from nerves and walked into the room. They joked about the tattoo on my back to lighten the mood before they gave me the spinal. It worked very quickly and they put up the sheet and began working. I was in there for maybe 45 min to an hour (I think) and the second they took her out my doc showed her to me over the curtain and I instantly started to cry, just an incredible feeling. Everything went well and I was in recovery before I knew it. She did great on her apgar test and Daddy took great care of her and called everyone to let them know she was here. Then they brought her to me to snuggle but I didn't get to BF until I got up to the regular room. The whole time at the hospital was a whirlwind. Everything happened so fast it seems. BF has been painful but I'm sticking through it. I just have to get things figured out like she does. We're tired but doing well. Here are a few pics...thanks for reading.

pnkin's picture
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/20/10
Posts: 20
Emma's Birth Story

Emma Mae
Born 2-21-2011 at 6:12 am
6 lbs 8 oz and 19.75 inches

It has taken me a little bit to sit down and write this out. I figured I had better get it done soon as I am already starting to forget some little details! I am not sure if it is just life or lack of sleep but either way I want to document this wonderful moment before I forget anything else!!

I had been having contractions off and on for several days, but they never turned into anything. They were not time able, not even close enough together to time them. They would often go away and come back with in a few hours and they never got stronger or closer. I was disappointed to say the least. Knowing that I would be working up until Emma was born I just wanted her here! I also was getting very tired and uncomfortable. Sleep was not really happening for me anymore and getting up and going to work was becoming a struggle.

When I left work on Friday 2-18-11, I knew I didn't want to go back to work on Tuesday ( Monday was a holiday -Presidents day). I tried everything I could think of! I walked laps in my living room, I walked laps at the store, I went for walks with DS to try to get things moving. DH and I DTD....but still nothing picked up. I would one or two contractions but they would go away. On Sunday 2-20-11 (my due date) we had family over to watch the Daytona 500 NASCAR race. After everyone left I check our birth board. I had been watching the thread about Castor oil all weekend waiting to see if it worked for either of the ladies who tried it. After the our company left I sent DH to the store to buy some. I had been suffering from some mild constipation over the weekend and figured if nothing else it might help with that. I took 2 tbsps at 9pm, and drank a milkshake to help settle my stomach. I took another 2 tbsps at 11pm. I didn't think it tasted that bad? The texture was the hardest part in my opinion. After two doses I didn't have any action going on. No cramping, no vomiting, nothing!!! I gave up and went to bed.

I woke up at 3am feeling contractions about like I had, but they were actually coming close together. I stayed in bed for a few minutes to see if I could go back to sleep to sleep through them. But after just 15 minutes I knew they were coming closer to together than ever before and I needed to get up and time them. So I got up and went into the living room, I found a timer on-line and started timing them. It didn't take long to realize that they were between 2 and 4 minutes apart and lasting between 45 seconds to one minute each. DH must had noticed that I got up b/c he came into the living room about 3:30am and asked if I was OK. I said yes, just trying to time them. He said well I am going to go back to bed till you tell me it's time to get in the shower. I said uhm, you might want to go ahead and shower now. The contractions were close enough and long enough to go to the hospital but we live about 40 minutes away and I didn't want them to go away during the ride there, I was trying to see if they would keep up the pace for almost an hour.

While DH got in the shower, I got up and finished packing Emma and I's bags. I also called my mom to come set with DS, who had school later that morning. My mom lives 45 minutes in the opposite direction of the hospital so I knew we couldn't wait for her to get there to leave. So when DH got dressed he went next door and woke our neighbor who came over to stay with DS until my mom could get to our house. We left our house some where between 4am and 4:15am I think? I used a timer app on DH's phone on the way to the hospital to keep track and the contractions were getting much stronger!!!

Once we arrived at the hospital they took me to a triage room to check me and get a monitor on the baby. I was already a 7 and 100%. They were asking about pain medication. I didn't really want anything but I think if labor would have lasted very long I would have caved! I told the nurse that I would like to know when the cut off point was so I could gage my pain and make that decision. They moved me to a labor and delivery room quickly. At this point it was 5am or so and I had only been having contractions for about 2 hours and they were concerned I would go quickly so they were rushing around trying to get everything done! My doctor arrived around 5:15am. He checked in on us, I was a 9 at this point- I asked to be checked because I was feeling pressure and they were still asking about pain medication. I was like I don't think there is time for that!!!! The doctor stepped out to get into his scrubs, by the time he was back I could feel Emma moving down and it was happening very quickly! I remember asking DH around 5:45am to call and see if my mom had made it to our house to be with DS. I wanted him to get to be the first person to meet her once born. Mom hadn't even made it to our house yet. Good thing we didn't wait for her!!!

The doctor checked me again sometime around the time DH called my mom. He gave me the green light to push. I think I maybe pushed 6 or 7 times and her little head was out. With one or two more pushed her shoulders were out and she was laying on my chest! She was the most beautiful little baby, I just wanted to hug and kiss her. I couldn't believe she was finally here! I couldn't believe we finally after 9 years together, 6 years of marriage and years of infertility had a tiny miracle laying right there in front of me. And with no medical help, Emma is just that a miracle!

I handled the pain pretty well with just breathing through the contractions, I am really proud of myself for doing this with out medication. Everyone was like why would you want to be in pain? It isn't that I wanted to be in pain, I just felt like I could do it without medication and I don't like needles so the epidural scares the crap out of me!! Up until the last few contractions and during her transition did it get harder to focus on my breathing but it all was moving so quickly there really wasn't time to feel sorry for myself.

DH got to cut the umbilical cord, and took pictures as they weighted her and checked her out. She scored and 8 and 9, and was perfectly healthy. We tried nursing as soon as they had her cleaned up but she would have no part of it! They moved us to our room by 7:30am. Once in our room we tried several times to get her to latch, but never had any luck. I spoke with the lactation consultant twice, who felt like she wouldn't latch because of the bruising on her face due to dropping through the birth canal so quickly. The hospital gave us 12 hours before encouraging us to try to supplement with some formula to maybe help wake her up a little.

Emma is now 10 days old, oh my where has that time gone!? She never did latch, but I am pumping and feeding her with the bottle. Which is fine b/c I planned on pumping anyway when I went back to work. She has had a little trouble with gas, but it eating and sleeping on a pretty good schedule. DS has been amazing with her, he is so in love and it just melts my heart to see him holding her. There was a time not to long ago when I thought that I would forever be a mom to an only child, and now that isn't the case!

OK, I think this is long enough. If you made it this far thanks for reading.

So here are some pics....

Just born, you can see the bruising on her face from coming down so fast!


3 days old
1 week
2 weeks

I have more but still need to get them on the computer. Thanks for looking!

marymoonu's picture
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 03/15/08
Posts: 2183

Calvin's Birth Story ~ Mary (marymoonu)

Calvin Michael's Birth Story
February 28th, 2011 - 7:39PM
Weight: 6 Pounds 8.4 Ounces
Length: 18 Inches
Head circumference: 13.25 Inches

L&D Nurses:

PP Nurses:
Linda (another one)

Monday, February 28th, 2011 at 9am was my OB appointment for 37 weeks, 5 days. My blood pressure was great for the third week in a row after being high or borderline high at all of my prenatal appointments. The doctor had been talking about inducing at 37 weeks based on the BP's, but decided that it probably wasn't necessary afterall. He informed me that he would be out of town the following week and that we could induce before then if I wanted to, or wait for natural labor and potentially have one of the partners deliver the baby. That was all under the assumption that my fluid levels were still okay. We had been keeping an eye on them because they were borderline low. That day, he did an ultrasound himself and found the fluid was too low. Two of the four pockets of fluid were totally empty and one measured 3.8cm. The fourth he said technically should be considered empty also, but he might be able to count a small amount of fluid there. Regardless, it wasn't enough to put me into the "safe zone" because my fluid only measured 4cm, tops. They induce under 5. He told us we were going to be meeting our baby that day and to head to the hospital.

I hadn't eaten anything yet that day and I knew they wouldn't let me eat, so we stopped at Chick-Fil-A for a breakfast sandwich. I didn't feel hungry, but needed my strength.
Tom dropped me off at the hospital while he and Sean went home to gather some bags, do some last minute cleaning, and wait for the grandparents to come watch Sean.
I went up to L&D and got checked in, then waited several grueling minutes alone in the waiting room until they were ready to take me to my room.

By 11am, we were getting started. I had already changed into my gown and gotten into bed to be checked out on the monitor. They had to have a good tracing of the baby on the monitor before they could begin my induction. I was group B strep positive, and my first IV of clindamycin (antibiotic) was started for that at 11am. My cervix wasn't favorable. It was only 1-2cm and was still posterior and pretty thick, so we had to begin with cervical ripening. This was started at 11:15am. They used a foley catheter which was placed in my cervix and inflated, along with low level pictocin (started at 11:20am) to help things along. It made me feel crampy and I found it uncomfortable because part of it hung outside of my body. I couldn't wait to be done with it because it made going to the bathroom difficult.

Then night before, I had been awake all night with nausea and that morning I had battled diarrhea multiple times. When they offered me phenergan for nausea, I jumped on it because I wanted to feel as good as possible for the delivery and the upset stomach was miserable. At this point, my belly was feeling pretty crampy from the foley.

At 2:30pm, the foley finally came out and I was overjoyed to be done with it. My cervix was 3-4cm, but baby was still high at -2 station. The nurse went to find out whether the doctor wanted to crank the pitocin, break my water, or both. The doctor decided on both. The midwife who was working at the hospital that day came to break my water. I had met her before in the midst of all my NST's and she was nice. At 3pm, my water was broken. It was horribly painful because my cervix was still so high and a bit posterior. I had to really breathe through the pain.

After my water was broken, the contractions became a lot more intense. I was still handling them really well and was able to tell Tom exactly what I needed. He helped by rubbing my back and applying pressure to my tailbone region. Although I was doing really well with the labor, I got scared and finally asked for the epidural.

At 5pm, nurse anesthetist Joe came to place the epidural. He and nurse Donna were really awesome during this time. The contractions were pretty intense and I was breathing through them. They both told me repeatedly how great I was doing. I really was doing well and I questioned why I was even getting the epidural, but I was just scared of the pain.
At 5:30pm, I was 5cm dilated and 80% effaced. My blood pressures started to really dip. They got as low as 80's/40's. It scared me, but I felt fine throughout. Nurse Donna and nurse anesthetist Joe were keeping an eye on me. This epidural was way different than the one with Sean. I wasn't in pain at all, but I could still feel contractions and other sensations like touch. With Sean, I was so numb I couldn't feel anything at all and couldn't move my legs at all. This time, I could still move my legs somewhat.

At 6:20pm, I was still 5cm and baby's heart began decelerating. I was scared at this point. Scared for the safety of the baby and scared that I would need a c-section.
His heart rate decelerated every time I had a contraction. The weird part is, mine did too.
Our heart rates were really mimicking each other. The baby and I were one for that moment, for just one last time.

The nurse told me that the reason for the heart decelerations could be that the baby was decending and his head was being compressed by the birth canal. She checked me again at 6:40pm and I had progressed to 6cm and 90% effaced. I was happy to see some progress and also happy that the nurse gave me a possible non-scary explanation for the heart decelerations.

At 7:15pm, I had progressed to 10cm and +1 station. The nurse didn't expect me to move that fast and called Dr. K. She said he gave an overly dramatic "OH NOOOO!" on the phone, afraid he would miss the birth because he likes to be called at 7cm. It took him 10 or 15 minutes to get there, and he rushed in talking about all the traffic violations he made on the way there. I found it very humorous because I just figured he was used to that sort of thing happening, but he was all flustered. Nurse Angela later told me that after the birth, he told her all about how he had such a bad day and I started it all that morning with my low fluid, haha!

As soon as he was ready, I was told I could push with the next contraction. I pushed twice through that contraction and the baby moved down pretty far, so they told me. I couldn't see anything in the mirror yet. I was told to try to push four times through the next contraction. I made it through about three and a half pushes before I tuckered out. But the baby's head had crowned and was almost all the way out. It was apparent that we were going to have a baby with the next contraction. But of course the next contraction took FOREVER to come! We waited and waited, and then finally it began! I pushed twice and we had a baby!

Calvin Michael was placed immediately on my chest at 7:39pm on February 28th, 2011.
I had always remembered being in a totally different world when Sean was born because I pushed for longer, bled a lot, and was just exhausted. I have trouble remembering his first cry, so I wanted to savor this one. Calvin came out looking purple. I knew it was normal until he started crying, but it still made me nervous. It was no time before he started to cry and I just held him and took it all in. I laughed because as soon as he was on my chest, he started peeing on me! The nurse came to me and asked if she could take Calvin to be weighed, measured, and assessed. I thought it seemed quick in comparison to my delivery with Sean, where I got to hold him for a long time before he was taken away. The nurse told me they normally leave baby with mom while the doctor finishes up, but that I hadn't torn a bit, so he had nothing else to do. No stitches! I was overjoyed and in disbelief at the time to have no tears, but I'm even happier about it now because my recovery has been SO much easier. She took Calvin to the warmer for his assessment and Tom went with her to watch and take pictures. I watched from my bed and fell in love. I couldn't believe how tiny he was.

I loved the actual delivery because it just felt so low-key and casual. There were only three people in the room other than me, Tom, and Calvin. Dr. K., nurse Donna, and nurse Angela were the only other people there. It just felt so calm, quiet, laid-back. It was perfect for me. I almost didn't even have nurse Donna there. She was actually supposed to be off for the day at 7pm, but I think they were short-staffed due to a call-off and she stayed extra for the birth. I appreciated her staying because I'd had her as my nurse all day and felt comfortable with her.

Once everyone had cleared the room and we were doing well, it was just the three of us and nurse Angela in there. She told me that if Calvin started acting hungry, to let her know because she'd help me get him to nurse. I had told her about the latching problems with Sean, and so I was nervous for a repeat. To my surprise, he latched on immediately with no problem and we've been going strong ever since. The nurses in the post-partum department were amazed by what a good nurser he was. He wanted to eat every hour, but that was fine with me. I just wanted to nurture my baby the way my body was made to do! I'm so overjoyed to have this experience this time after pumping for so long for Sean.
I would do it again in a heartbeat to feed my baby the food that is best for him, but I love the additional bonding time that I get. It's something special for just the two of us!

Tom and the nurses kept asking when I wanted to invite the rest of the family in. I hesitated to do it and kept putting it off. I loved the bonding time with just the three of us. It was perfect and I wasn't in a hurry to end it. Sometime around 9pm, we finally asked the rest of the family to come in. My parents were the only ones there at the moment because Tom's parents were watching Sean at our house. My mom and dad were in love and amazed by how tiny Calvin was compared to Sean. Tom had thought his mom was in the waiting room also because he hadn't heard her say earlier that she was leaving to go be with Sean. So at this point, his parents didn't even know he was born yet.
Finally my parents left to come stay with Sean so that Tom's parents could come meet the new baby. His mom had already left for the hospital, so Tom's dad was alone with Sean.
When my parents got to my house, my mom stayed with Sean and my dad came back to the hospital with Tom's dad. I was surprised and happy to see my dad show up at the door again with Tom's dad. His face was happy just like a kid at Christmas!

I am so in love! Sean has been curious and excited about the new baby, and I can't wait to watch their relationship grow!

With Mommy:

With Daddy:

DH says it looks like he's kissing his biceps, LOL:

Meeting his big brother for the first time: