~* Leigh Anne's Birth Lodge *~ - Page 17
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 161 to 162 of 162

Thread: ~* Leigh Anne's Birth Lodge *~

  1. #161
    Mega Poster Leigh_Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Birth story of Sydney Laine

    Birth story of Sydney Laine

    On Thursday morning, July 17th, I woke up around 6 am to go to the bathroom…nothing out of the ordinary for a pregnant woman *smile*. I returned to bed and woke up again at 8:30 am and found that I was having a bloody show. I knew this meant Sydney was likely to be coming fairly soon. I was feeling a little crampy, but nothing majorly contraction-like…or so I thought anyway. I had a regular midwife appointment at 10:45 am and was waiting for my husband to pick me up so we could go to it. I told him about the morning’s events, and so he was getting a little anxious.

    We got to the appointment, and I told my midwife about the bloody show. She seemed excited at that. The appointment went great, and she checked my dilation…I was 3 cm, 70% effaced. Now, to me, this really didn’t mean a great deal since you can walk around further than that for days, weeks even…though the bloody show was promising.

    At this point, I hadn’t really had any noticeable contractions still. However, around 2 pm, I was having what felt like regular intervaled menstrual cramps. Nothing major though. At 4 pm, I called Daniel to come home from work because I thought I might be going into labor.

    Around 5:30, the contractions got a lot stronger and closer together. I jumped into a hot shower to help me relax, and a friend of mine helped me count contractions. Then, they were about 20 min. apart, lasting anywhere from 15-50 seconds…still, nothing worth rushing off to the hospital about…

    This went on until about 9 pm or so…and Daniel thought we should be going to the hospital…still, I stayed…I didn’t want to go in too soon. However, just a short hour and half later, my contractions were between 2-4 min apart, lasting 30-60 seconds each…OUCH!

    Off to the hospital we went…the contractions were really hard to deal with being buckled in the car…we made it though.
    Once we were all checked in, we were given a labor and delivery room. It was around 11 pm. The on call (my midwife wasn’t due in until 8 am) came in and checked my dilation. I was only at 4 cm, but they weren’t going to send me home. Then, that strapped an external fetal monitor on me, and that irritated me. I asked if it could be intermittent, but the nurse just said “no”. Though I know it could have been.

    I am not sure how much time went by, but they came in to check me once again…5cm. I’d finally had enough of the contractions. They were very regular without a real rest in between. Everything was making me extremely anxious…doctors, machines, etc., and I was exhausted, so in the best interest of my daughter, and to calm my nerves, I opted to get an epi. I wanted to go all natural, but I just couldn’t settle down and was worried about the stress it was putting on Sydney. It was a little after midnight.

    A couple of hours had passed when they checked me again, 7 cms. Almost there. Here’s where everything seems to take a wrong turn. One of the nurses was hooking up my IV for fluids and some antibiotics (I’d spiked a fever). All seemed fine, but of course I couldn’t feel my contractions. All I remember is a bunch of doctors and nurses rushing in, turning me on my side, shoving an oxygen mask on my face and telling me they were going to break my water and give me something to slow down my contractions. From what they told me, I guess I was having a contraction that had lasted over 5 minutes and Sydney’s heart rate dropped. Of course, now I didn’t trust any of the on-call staff. I thought they handled that situation very poorly and didn’t look at the options available to them.

    So, there I was, oxygen mask on my face and all, crying and struggling to keep this birth positive. I was concerned that her heart rate would fall again and who knows what else. One of the nurses assured me that everything would be okay.

    I asked Daniel to pray with me that the rest of the birth would go smoothly.

    Lo and behold, around 6 am, the on call OB came in and began talking pitocin to speed up what she’d slowed down earlier…I was so aggravated at her. I said no. No pitocin. Of course, they hung the bag, but guess what…my contractions started at their regular intervals again on their own!

    Everything is really a blur from here on out. At some time, the epidural started kind of wearing off on the right side. The anesthesiologists came in to check it and upped the drip, I think?! It took some time and some side lying to get the right side numb again.

    I know around 8:30 am, they said my midwife was running a little late, but that she’d be there. I couldn’t wait for her to get there. She arrived shortly after that and checked my dilation. I was at 10 cms on my left side, but I still had a small lip of cervix on the right, so she had me roll over on my right side…that did the trick. Less than 20 min. later, I felt the urge to push, called for my midwife, and she checked and said it was time. We were on our way to meeting our little girl.

    Pushing was so much different than I expected…I wonder what I really did expect, but it is definitely something I can’t explain. Sydney was at zero station when we started…meaning, she hadn’t dropped all the way down into the birth canal yet. I guess most people start pushing at +2 or greater?! Or so I was told by someone, I think.
    Soon after the pushing began, my best friend, Mandy, came and helped coach me through the pushing. She and my husband were wonderful. I know she kept whispering in my ear that I could do it. That Sydney would be here soon. She told me afterward that I kept saying things that she was thinking during the birth of her second son, but she would never say. I do remember saying, “Just get her out of me, now!” I was so exhausted at this point. I began pushing at 10:20 am on Friday morning. I had been awake since 8 am Thursday morning.

    As I was pushing, I remember seeing some doctors come in and ask if we needed an operating room or something. I guess they figured since Sydney was measuring big, that I’d never be able to push her out, especially by starting at zero station. My midwife sent them away and said we were fine. I LOVE HER!

    After just 2 hours and 50 minutes of pushing, Sydney joined our world. I remember my midwife saying, “Take her.” I did. It was a rush of so many emotions that I will never, ever be able to put into words. I looked at her, looked at my husband and cried for what seemed like forever. I told my husband I loved him and told our daughter it was great to finally meet her. They got me all cleaned up…I hear she pooed all over me as she came out…nice Sydney. And, I had a 2nd degree tear, so they stitched me up. They took Sydney and got her clean and got her Apgar scores: 8 and 9! Yay Sydney. She also got a great health report from the pediatrician the next day. A very healthy baby girl!

    We got to stay in the labor and delivery room for quite awhile because there were no maternity rooms available. So, we began “meeting” our daughter.

    Later that night – it was before 11 pm, I do know that – I felt like I had to urinate. The nurses came in and helped me walk to the restroom…my legs weren’t numb anymore, so I could walk fine. I tried to pee, but nothing more than a drop came out. Very frustrating since I knew I had to pee like mad. This went on for an hour or so until the nurse realized that my contracting uterus was off to the side instead of in the middle of my abdomen. She figured out that my bladder was so full, it was pushing my uterus over. One of my other midwives suggested another catheter to see if anything came out. It was the talk of the floor for an hour I guess…almost 2 liters of urine emptied out into the catheter. I immediately felt better. And, I could pee on my own later that evening!

    We got moved to our recovery room around 11:30 pm and tried to sleep when Sydney was sleeping. It was hard because all we wanted to do was stare at her.

    I’m sure I missed some important detail along the way, but this is what I remember about the day my daughter was born. It wasn’t exactly as I had planned it, but I’m very happy I got to push my baby out!

    Sydney Laine
    Born on July 18, 2008 at 12:10 pm (40w 4d)
    8 lbs, 11 oz
    20 ¼ inches from head to toe

  2. #162
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008


    Congratulations! Again! Leigh Anne!!! wonderful!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions