Just wanted to say hello, hope all is well for you this evening!
I had my 38 week appt today. I was really looking forward to it bc Ive been having alot more aches and pains the past few days and baby girl felt like she had changed positions a bit so I was thinking we'd made some progress. Well she changed positions allright, now she's breech They had just confirmed a head down position by us last Weds My Dr was even a little suprised. He said it's pretty unusual for a baby to turn this late especially after a previous uncomplicated birth. We scheduled an external version for this weds. He wanted to give her a day to try and turn back on her own but he doesnt want to wait too long bc her butt hasnt engaged yet and she's not getting any smaller. I'm really nervous about the version. He said it has a good chance of working but he also said that there could be complications that could lead to an emergency c-s. And if it doesnt work that we will need to talk about scheduling one I was not expecting this at all. I'm so disapointed and nervous. I know my body is capable of pushing a baby out and now I may not have the chance bc of something that seems so random. Im feeling pretty down about he whole thing. It just doesnt seem like there are any good options. There are risks if we do the version but if we dont we'll have to deal the the risks of a c-s or a breech birth. I really dont feel comfortable with the idea of a breech birth but I dont know alot about it either. I guess I just need to try not to worry and wait and see how the version goes. Does anyone on here have any experience with them?
oh, Jessi, I'm so sorry to hear your little girl flipped breech! That does complicate things. I don't know much about external version, but hopefully someone else will.
Since you have already had one vaginal birth, if you baby is in a good breech position (bum first, not feet first) you are a good candidate for vaginal breech--there are risks with both the c-section and the vaginal breech option, and only you can decide what is best for you. Whether or not you can find a care provider who feels comfortable with vaginal breech is also a factor, unfortunately.
There is a lot of information about breech birth on the Coalition for Breech Birth (co-founded by Robin/Robinna) website: http://www.breechbirth.ca
ETA: you can try lots of things to try to encourage the baby turn that have less risk than an external version--here are some links:
So sorry your baby flipped. Oh, I understand exactly how you feel...I was in the exact same position a few weeks ago. My LO never even turned down. The good part is that you seem like a good candidate for the external version. As a second time mom, your uterus is more likely flexible, relaxed, and has room for the Dr to work. I didn't have that option and was at more of a disadvantage at even trying it. The external versions are mostly done in hospitals, so your baby would receive good and fast care in case of any complications.
If your heart is really at a vaginal delivery and it feels right I say go with it. Expect any of the outcomes, be prepared in case you do end up with a c-sec. As a worry ward about my own c-sec, I tell you...It isn't so bad at all. I think that at the end, the body producing chemicals that give you a high from having your child all healthy (regardless of how it got here) helps you get through any negative feelings, thoughts, and even as a pain blocker. I wish I could have had Anthony as a vaginal delivery, but I know that that was not an option that would have brought him safe or even alive.
If you have any questions on what to expect or concerns about a c-sec you can always PM me. I'll try to answer you with the best of my knowledge and experience I had.
I'm so sorry your little girl flipped! I would suggest contacting a chiropractor who has experience (or at least familiarity with) the Webster Technique. It's a very simple, painless adjustment that helps make sure the pelvic joints are properly aligned, and helps release tension in the pelvis, giving baby more room to flip back on her own.
If the external version is done in the hospital, then it's quite safe. They'll do an ultrasound during the procedure to make sure that baby's cord isn't in the way, and they will monitor baby the entire time. They'll also probably give you an epidural, both to help your body relax for the procedure, and for the rare chance that something happens and you need an immediate c-section. If your doctor is suggesting doing it in the office, no way would I do that.
And if all else fails and baby stays breech, I would absolutely insist on a trial of labor rather than scheduling a c-section. Babies can & do flip right up to the end, and vaginal breech birth is statistically as safe for baby as a c-section breech birth. In fact, a c-section breech birth is more dangerous for baby than a standard c-section birth, it's just always a tricky delivery no matter what. And a c-section is always harder on mama. I would give my baby and my body every chance to work together the way they're supposed to, and only agree to a c-section if labor wasn't progressing or if baby was getting distressed. Try talking to your baby, ask her to flip, ask her to work with you for a safe birth. But above all, trust your gut! If your mama instinct is saying baby needs a c-section, baby might just need one. More (((((HUGS)))))
Join the revolution & take back our holidays!
Change Black Friday into Buy Nothing Day, and don't take your credit cards to work on Cyber Monday.
Shift Your Shopping from mass marketers & big box stores to your local independent retailers & small artisans.
Practice a Buy Nothing Christmas. Instead of buying more things, give gifts of your time, your energy, and maybe even some unwanted things around your home; organize a used items gift swap among your family and/or friends.
I enjoyed reading your intro. I am also sorry about your little girl flipping over near the end. I really hope everything works out for you and you can have her how you want to without any complications. Good luck!
You have all the suggestions you'll have time for, but I'm really sorry your haveing to deal with this and I wish you all the best for a head down baby. (((HUGS)))