I think it's really something to hold on to that he's still really active...it's stressful, but babies really do turn super late and even in labor....sounds like you've got a supportive team working for you, so hang in there, mama...
That said, I did the chiro thing, and even though it wasn't technically Webster, I still think it helped a lot to get my pelvis all correctly aligned. Definitely doesn't hurt!
Update to my thread hijacking...
They did the external cephalic version this morning. It was extremely easy. It took less than 30 seconds and I felt no pain... just a little uncomfortable pressure. I was surprised when the doc said "OK, he's head down now." I didn't even realize he'd already done it. I'm going to assume part of the reason it was so easy was that I'd been doing inversions and Breech Tilts for three days prior to the version.
Terrific! May he stay put!
Ivy, Leo and Forrest - May 2013
That's fantastic news!!! Thanks for the update!
as for my friend.
She had her 39w appointment and baby is still breech. Her OB gave her until Thursday (the day before the OB leaves on vacation) to flip. If baby is still head up then she's going to perform a c-section. If the baby's head is anywhere else they're going to wait.
Her OB is not even entertaining the idea of a breech delivery and when my friend asked about a version her OB told her that it probably wouldn't work. I told her she should at least try!
She's so scared of the thought of a c-section. She was asking me what she did wrong that her baby doesn't want to flip. Even with all the tilt-board/light/hot-cold compresses/chiropractic her baby doesn't want to budge. I reminded her she did/is doing NOTHING wrong.
I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. I hope that her OB tries a version at the very least.
It really irks me, that with my friend's first birth she as induced (cervadil) at 38 weeks because the U/S showed the cord around baby's neck and the OB didn't want to risk going another 2 weeks of pregnancy - just in case. She went for a while without an epidural but ended up getting one near the end and hating it!
So this time she wanted a completely natural birth. Her OB was "all for it" and now suddenly when there is something she can do to try and help my friend (a version) she's practically refusing by telling my friend that it probably won't work.
I'm so angry, frustrated and scared for her.
Sorry for the vent. I just don't understand not TRYING to do a version. Even if it "probably won't work" at least TRY!
Oh, that is so frustrating her OB won't even try a version. I would be so mad. Can she try to be a bit assertive and just tell her OB she wants her to try anyway, because why not try ANYTHING that even has a chance of working? I know it is intimidating to insist on anything with a doctor, but they are people too and screw up sometimes just like anyone. It kind of makes me wonder if she (the OB) just doesn't know how to do it. Sounds like several women have had that work when all the tilting and compressing didn't do anything, but it may have prepped the baby to be easier to flip. If I were her, I'd insist on a version and ask the OB to refer her to someone who would do it for her if her own OB won't/can't. Or I'd call around to other OB's and see if I could find someone who would agree to do a version! She doesn't have to tell her OB....
For real, I also find it VERY frustrating that OB won't even try a version. I was in exactly that same boat- everything I did didn't work to get baby to flip, but the version worked SO EASILY- it was totally worth it. I know personally I wasn't willing to give up and just have a c-section without trying the version- but my midwife, and her supporting OB were supportive of the plan. I would really urge her to either insist on it with her OB, or to look for another who is willing to try!
Mara & Joel, 2009
I had to request a version and research it on my own as the doctor would not even discuss it. My hospital is low risk and will not even attempt them so I had to be reffered to another hospital an hour and a half away for it and that was only at my request and begging. I think the doctor hated me because I would not schedult the c section willingly. I would be saying no c section until a version was conducted
Wendy, I still wish I had tried harder to get mine to turn from breech. I allowed them to schedule the c/s.
I agree that your friend should do everything possible to try to get baby to turn. And even if the version doesn't work, don't schedule a c/s. They can still sometimes turn during labor so I would say let her go into labor on her own and if baby doesn't turn she could be looking at a c/s, but try everything first. I hate that our society is so very c/s happy.
BABY IS HEAD DOWN
She showed up at the hospital for her OB appointment and the nurse handed her an intake form to fill out and my friend said "No thanks, I'm not staying, I'm just here for an appointment". She had decided that no matter what position baby was in she was going to wait until the last possible minute to make the "c-section or not" decision.
But as it turns out, the baby is head down, little guy took long enough her due date is in 2 days! She's so happy! I'm so happy for her. She now just waits for labour to start! Her OB is off on vacation tomorrow so she's not sure who will be attending her birth. But she doesn't care because she's got a head down baby! LOL!