A head down baby is a wonderful ease of mind!!
My friend is now 3 days "overdue" and no signs of labour, but she's totally relaxed and willing to wait as long as baby wants. She's just pleased as punch that baby is head down! LOL!
My friend had a beautiful baby boy this morning at 1:16am, 8 day past his "due date", 8lbs 5oz of baby boy bliss. Born via c-section. Not sure of the details, but Mommy and Baby are both doing well.
She's very upset she didn't get the birth she wanted, but she's still emotionally numb from the whirlwind of a birth last night. I'm not sure how she arrived at having a c-section. Update later.
Welcome to the world baby boy!
ETA: she was checked at 10:30pm 7cm, checked again at 12:30am 7cm, they told her she wasn't dilating and needed to do a c-section.
Last edited by azin_may; 03-25-2012 at 06:20 PM.
I'm so glad that she has a healthy baby boy!! Congrats to her on that. I'm also very sorry that she didn't get the birth she wanted after waiting so long for baby to turn.
I'm not trying to start a debate on this at all, but not dilating any more for 2 hours, is that a valid enough reason to go to c/s? Maybe she would have dilated more had they just waited a bit? I have no experience, so I'm asking.
Sorry to hear that about your friend.
Anna, I keep reading that some mamas take longer to dilate, even at that point, than others. As long as mama and baby are doing fine it's okay to wait longer. It's definitely something that I plan to ask my practice about - how long I get to stay in labor and what they consider to be "no progression", aka slow dilation. Definitely a concern of mine since I stayed at 4cm with DS for a good 10 hours (pretty sure had I been allowed to move around, therefore move DS into a better position and out of sunny side up, it would have gone better). I can't find the source right now (but I'm sure it came from one of the places Christa sent me lol) but many OBs are taught that it should only take x amount of time to dilate once in active labor and obviously all woman don't follow this model.
Oh, that's really sad, and makes me SO, SO THANKFUL for my birth center, because in a hospital I definitely would have ended up with a c-section but they were patient (and I was educated about NCB enough to be patient even when they mentioned transferring for pitocin if I wanted to) and I got my NCB. I was "stuck" at 5-6 cm in active labor for--oh gosh--12 or 13 hours? Maybe more? A good five or six of those were even after my water broke. And then they gave me some black and blue cohosh, and I went from 6 to complete in an hour and a half.
Glad she has a healthy baby boy, though, and I hope her healing (both physical and emotional) goes well.
I'm sorry to hear she didn't get the NB she was hoping for. I wonder if the baby's HB was dipping, or there were other reasons than no progression for having the c-section? Just a thought.
One way to avoid this type of c-section if you have a doctor you just aren't sure about it to decline being checked every 2 hours. If they are doing intermittent heartbeat readings and there is no concern, there is no reason to get checked that often.
Ethan - June 21, 2009
Olivia - December 5, 2010
5w3d - October/November 2012
My Ovulation Chart