I've checked in with the 2 midwives recently actually (I suddenly had this realization that I wanted a homebirth a few weeks ago and decided to try again just in case) and both are still booked. I did my research and I know that there are only 3 in my area (there are a few more several hours away, but I know my labor is likely to go too fast for a midwife who is that far away). At this point, I feel like I need to just stick to the plan, it's too much ruckus to try and change now, and DH isn't totally on board with the homebirth thing anyway. I think he was secretly relieved when I couldn't find a midwife.
I'm right there with you, completely! If you don't have the resources available it might as well not even be an option. I have friends 2 hours away that get to have homebirths, not legally granted but they still at least have mw's to choose from. I have 1 midwife in the entire area that does underground hb's and she recently had a baby and isn't doing births right now I was heartbroken when I heard it. not that I even had a chance to "interview" her and had I not liked her it would've been the end of the line anyway but still..... When you only have 1 midwife, there's no choice, there's no options, it makes me sick and very sad. This baby is our last and I just can't picture having him/her in the hospital, every time I think about my birth I'm at home because I don't want to leave!