If you are having a home birth are you taking or skipping the GBS test?
I was positive with DS1 and negative with DS2. I did have SROM with DS1 and my positive GBS status greatly impacted that particular birth.
I have the option. She would test at my home visit at 36 weeks.
If I am going to take the test I am going to do my darndest to test negative ~ I don't remember my regime from last time (probiotics? Vit C? Garlic? Hibiclens?) anyone care to share their thoughts around testing and/or what you did to try to ensure a negative test result if you DID decide to test?
I'll ask Emily to pop in, because she had an interesting experience with this. I'll also share mine.
I did the test even though I was planning a homebirth, because midwives here can administer IVs at home.
I don't remember my exact regime, but for a week or two before the test I did take a supplement regime. I also only swabbed my vagina and skipped swabbing my rectum (my midwives let me do the swab myself).
I ended up being negative so it wasn't an issue in the end.
I did test both pregnancies for GBS (second time was yesterday actually!). If I didn't, and wound up a transfer, they would automatically treat me as positive, so I'd rather know. I have been taking garlic capsules for the past week. And before I swabbed yesterday I used a homemade witch hazel wipe. I also avoided my backend. Will your midwife give you the swab to do yourself? Does she do IV AB's at home?
I have done the testing for GBS with each of my pregnancies. My reasoning is the same as Jordan's: to avoid the complication of the assumption of being positive in case of a hospital transfer. I also only swab the vagina and not the rectum...I don't birth out my @ss. LOL. I know how to get pregnant, I can certainly handle doing a swab myself.
With my last pregnancy I tested positive at 36 weeks. My labour started with my waters breaking about 12 hours before labour kicked in. THe original plan was to NOT have the antibiotics, because I do have a history of fairly fast labours. But with waters breaking early we opted for the ABX. My midwives do offer this at home. I had to get my regular doctor to write a prescription for the abx and then brought them to my midwives, who are fully qualified to administer them. Are your midwives able to do that for a homebirth?
This time around, I'm still going to test for it, but if I test positive I'm going to request the test be readministered at 39 weeks.
I'm going to do an internal remedy of taking, twice a day:
*15 drops grapefruit seed extract
*500mg vitamin C
*1000mg garlic capsules
This should, hopefully, reduce or completely obliterate any GBS bacteria floating around where it shouldn't be.
Thanks guys. If I choose to test and then test positive she will give me three options:
ABX in labor (routine)
ABX in labor only is I present with risk factors
Watch baby for fever/breathing issues and treat baby with abx if infection signs are shown.
She also listed (Duh, it just hit me to look in my information from mymidwife, LOL)
Acidophilus 4 billion cells/dose
350 mg 2x's/day
Garlic 58- MG capsules 2/day and/or inserted clove vaginally
Vit C 500 mg w 200 mg bioflavenoids
Grapefruit sed extract 15 drops under tongue
with an option to retest closer to date.
With my Moms history of all three births SROM well before labors onset and me having one birth that went that way I guess I will test.
Jordan/Arty/Em how far in advance of your test did you start the regime?
She will have me self swab and yeah ~ I'm so with you on not messing with the exit door on that one, LOL
Thank you guys
I'm pretty sure I started 1-2 weeks before the test. So if you are testing at 36 weeks it wouldn't hurt to start now. And if it were me testing positive, I would go with option C of observing the baby. I'm really not a fan of prophylactic antibiotics.
I would start now with your prophylactic treatments. Can't hurt!
I would also be wary of inserting a garlic clove vaginally as raw garlic can burn the tissues down there. Owie.
I did the test both times and both times was negative, so no issue. I choose to do it for the same reason I do all other routine tests, just that I do not think more information is a bad thing. I would rather know personally. I did not do a regime, but if I had tested positive I was planning on doing the regime and being retested. My mw also can administer abx at home.
Do you girls mind if I jump in and ask some questions?
I've tested - for both my kids so I've never given it a 2nd thought, but now I do have some ?'s. I really don't know much about GBS as you will see from my questions below
If you treat before you test, couldn't that give you a false answer? Would it come back?
Outside of hb, have you ever requested your dr to retest closer to your due date due to a + result?
I read in "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" that she recommends a few things during labor to essentially get rid of it before the baby comes through, has anyone done anything like that?
Can you refuse abx at a hospital if you test +? If so, will that result in baby being kept longer?
It think that's all I have for now. I'm extremely curious about this!
My choice is to get tested (in case of transfer), but to opt for no antibiotics (if I test positive which I haven’t) and watch for signs of infection. Chances are very low.
Reasoning: Studies that I read a while ago (can’t remember it was a couple years ago I researched it) show that children exposed to antibiotics in their first year (and particularly first 6 months) have a much higher incidence of allergies and illness. I guess it somehow seems to mess with the immune system.
If there’s new research on this that anyone has that contradicts this, I would gladly read it.
Skyler Dylan 22 April 1999
Reed Aslan 17 June 2007 ~ 8 September 2008
Ivy Rayne 3 May 2009
Leo Spencer 2 Sept 2010
Forrest Reed 15 Aug 2012