hypnobabies experience so far and a question...

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852
hypnobabies experience so far and a question...

I just completed my first week and I've noticed a few things about the hypnosis and I was wondering if its happened to anyone else.

First off I notice that I am falling asleep or I feel like I am and I go in and out of levels of consciousness and I will all of a sudden hear what she is saying in the CD...also as I've listened to the CD now several times every time I listen to it again I notice things I didn't hear before. Its really strange. One time I fell asleep and I didn't wake up when she counted up but was jolted awake by the sound of complete silence as my track had ended!!:eek:

I'm afraid I'm not getting everything because I am either too relaxed and not hearing everything or asleep.

Also my DH came into the room yesterday (and was making noise :rolleyes:) as I was doing my CD and I HEARD him and it brought me up a level or two of consciousness but didn't break it, I had to concentrate for a moment to get back to where I was. I guess thats good. Smile

Otherwise its great and I am sleeping SO good at night now!! Love my affirmations!!

cactuswren's picture
Joined: 10/19/09
Posts: 4658

My Hypnobirthing instructor said not to worry at all about falling asleep during relaxations--your subconscious is still working. That said, I do find that I want both my conscious and subconscious minds to know what I'm doing here, so I try to listen to stuff sitting up on the couch in broad daylight as well as in bed at night. I fall asleep in bed but during the day I can usually make it through and stay conscious.

krazykat's picture
Joined: 08/11/07
Posts: 1143

It feels like I fall asleep too, but I'm not really sure if I am "asleep" as I always wake up at the end or just after the end. So that makes me think that my sub-conscious is paying attention ya know? I even do that if I listen during the day, wide awake, sitting up on the couch... it's crazy. So I have just succumbed to the process and am having faith that I am absorbing everything.

MrsMangoBabe's picture
Joined: 04/09/07
Posts: 2276

You may find this link helpful: http://www.enjoybirth.com/FAQ-Sleeping.html

I fell asleep a lot and it still worked for me.

rainymama's picture
Joined: 08/24/07
Posts: 409

I am on week 2 of my CD's. I noticed that I seemed to fall asleep a lot last week, but I think I was experiencing more of that hypno-amnesia that she mentions, because if I stayed awake, I could tell that I had heard it before. This week, I have stayed awake every time, I think because I am more actively engaged in learning the techniques.

My main problems are: when I turn "off" my mouth hangs open, especially if I am sitting in a chair. Not only do I feel like I look dead or something, or at least dorky, but my mouth gets really dry and I have to move my mouth and tongue around. I haven't been turning "on" to do that, but maybe I should be?
Also, I always seem to get an itch on my nose or something, so I have just been trying to ignore it. But it can be a little distracting.

I really enjoy doing the scripts, and would do them much more often if I could. Once a day is what I am getting in, so I know that is enough. I hope that the Hypno-anesthesia is actually taking place. I will just trust that it is. I did get a sore back during one of the scripts and tried to focus the anesthesia on that area and the discomfort faded away completely.

It's really exciting to have other moms doing the hypnosis on this board because I am totally thrilled with this new experience and love hearing all about others' experiences, too!

krazykat's picture
Joined: 08/11/07
Posts: 1143

Elizabeth, I get an inevitable itch too lol. What I have been doing is focusing my anesthesia on that spot and saying to myself, "it is not itching, it feels fuzzy". That has been working quite well. I also have a terribly dry mouth afterwards. It kindof reassures me that I am actually in hypnosis and not just sleeping though because I don't have a dry mouth like that when I wake up in the mornings. Very interesting! And I am also glad to be sharing these experiences with you ladies Biggrin

kvo
kvo's picture
Joined: 12/18/06
Posts: 902

This may sound stupid, but you can download the CDs to your iPod right? I'm just imagining trying to manage my laptop in bed, falling asleep, and it crashing to the floor.

Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

"kvo" wrote:

This may sound stupid, but you can download the CDs to your iPod right? I'm just imagining trying to manage my laptop in bed, falling asleep, and it crashing to the floor.

I was wondering about this....I went to the hypnobabies website but all I could find were the affirmation tracks and it would be nice to have it all on my ipod!

krazykat's picture
Joined: 08/11/07
Posts: 1143

"redmachchick" wrote:

I was wondering about this....I went to the hypnobabies website but all I could find were the affirmation tracks and it would be nice to have it all on my ipod!

Yes, I have had no trouble putting the scripts on my IPOD. All I do is just pop the CD in my computer and then it guides me from there. I did have to do some maneuvering once I got them downloaded to get them into playlists, etc, but it is possible. I put one class together separated by the affirmations in a playlist so that just in case I don't wake up immediately it will only play through that week and the affirmations.

Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

"krazykat" wrote:

Yes, I have had no trouble putting the scripts on my IPOD. All I do is just pop the CD in my computer and then it guides me from there. I did have to do some maneuvering once I got them downloaded to get them into playlists, etc, but it is possible. I put one class together separated by the affirmations in a playlist so that just in case I don't wake up immediately it will only play through that week and the affirmations.

Wow. Duh. I didn't even think about doing that!!!!! :):notworthy:

faeriecurls's picture
Joined: 06/04/08
Posts: 790

Okay - I haven't started yet, but I have a question for BTDT hypnomoms or anyone else that might be able to answer. It's probably a dumb question too - but I am wondering will I be able to have conversations make decisions and actually remember the birth with the hypnobabies??? I really want to be calm and not in a ton of pain, but not totally unaware of things and unable to make important decisions. :confused:

rainymama's picture
Joined: 08/24/07
Posts: 409

Please read Britney/MrsMangoBabe's birth story! She made several very key decisions during her birthing time while successfully using hypnobabies.

faeriecurls's picture
Joined: 06/04/08
Posts: 790

"rainymama" wrote:

Please read Britney/MrsMangoBabe's birth story! She made several very key decisions during her birthing time while successfully using hypnobabies.

I did read it and your are right... I guess I am just not sure what it will be like and have been thinking about it a lot lately.

Winky_the_HouseElf's picture
Joined: 02/10/02
Posts: 292

"faeriecurls" wrote:

Okay - I haven't started yet, but I have a question for BTDT hypnomoms or anyone else that might be able to answer. It's probably a dumb question too - but I am wondering will I be able to have conversations make decisions and actually remember the birth with the hypnobabies??? I really want to be calm and not in a ton of pain, but not totally unaware of things and unable to make important decisions. :confused:

I've used hypnosis for my last four babies and was completely able to go in and out and have conversations (as needed or desired). Also, I remember their births more clearly than my epidural birth with dd. I love Hypnobabies because I got to be comfortable AND aware/in control. Biggrin

Winky_the_HouseElf's picture
Joined: 02/10/02
Posts: 292

"redmachchick" wrote:

First off I notice that I am falling asleep or I feel like I am and I go in and out of levels of consciousness and I will all of a sudden hear what she is saying in the CD...also as I've listened to the CD now several times every time I listen to it again I notice things I didn't hear before. Its really strange. One time I fell asleep and I didn't wake up when she counted up but was jolted awake by the sound of complete silence as my track had ended!!:eek:

I'm afraid I'm not getting everything because I am either too relaxed and not hearing everything or asleep.

Rest assured that it's extremely common and perfectly FINE to fall asleep. Just let it keep playing and your subconscious will pick it up. Smile I was rarely able to stay awake through a whole script. If you're curious about what's on the CDs, you can fast forward through the relaxation part and listen to the meat of the script while actively doing something else. You wouldn't participate in a hypnotic relaxation session. You would simply be hearing the suggestions on a conscious level. Hope that helps! Smile

MrsMangoBabe's picture
Joined: 04/09/07
Posts: 2276

"faeriecurls" wrote:

Okay - I haven't started yet, but I have a question for BTDT hypnomoms or anyone else that might be able to answer. It's probably a dumb question too - but I am wondering will I be able to have conversations make decisions and actually remember the birth with the hypnobabies??? I really want to be calm and not in a ton of pain, but not totally unaware of things and unable to make important decisions. :confused:

Erica--I feel like hypnobabies helped me be more intune with my body and aware of the important things, while tuning out distractions. I felt very aware of what was going on because I wasn't panicking (most of the time) or trying to distract myself from "pain." And if you've read my birth story, you can see the high level of detail I remember. The "eyes open childbirth hypnosis" techniques allowed me to talk calmly between pressure waves while still in a relaxed, endorphin-promoting state.

"rainymama" wrote:

My main problems are: when I turn "off" my mouth hangs open, especially if I am sitting in a chair. Not only do I feel like I look dead or something, or at least dorky, but my mouth gets really dry and I have to move my mouth and tongue around. I haven't been turning "on" to do that, but maybe I should be?
Also, I always seem to get an itch on my nose or something, so I have just been trying to ignore it. But it can be a little distracting.!

Elizabeth--using the light switch will get easier the more you practice. It will also get easier in week 3 when you learn the center position. A general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't do any voluntary movements while in "off." For the itchiness--you can try to make the itch go away with your mind (I would imagine rubbing the spot, which worked for me for some reason) or you can turn your light switch on and scratch it and then turn it back off.

rainymama's picture
Joined: 08/24/07
Posts: 409

"MrsMangoBabe" wrote:

Elizabeth--using the light switch will get easier the more you practice. It will also get easier in week 3 when you learn the center position. A general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't do any voluntary movements while in "off." For the itchiness--you can try to make the itch go away with your mind (I would imagine rubbing the spot, which worked for me for some reason) or you can turn your light switch on and scratch it and then turn it back off.

I did better with that today. I was listening to Deepening (I love it) and my son interrupted me a few times and I remembered to turn off the switch. It helps so much to practice the finger-drop. Now I am getting quicker at it. Still get the itches, but trying to think of the "fuzziness" that krazykat mentioned.

My kids must have heard me talking about the hypnosis or seen my book, because I was kind of spacing out for a second this afternoon (not on purpose) and my 8 yr old asked me if I was hypnotized. It was funny. I told her no, but then I said, well I might have been!