Hey girls, I know I don't post here much but I just needed somewhere to vent.
I have a friend who is pregnant (doesn't live close) and her and her husband are all into eating whole foods and she is gluten free, etc. Well, Monday was her due date and she said she was being induced on Thursday (yesterday) if she didn't go into labor by then. I think I thought she had a midwife but she doesn't and I as gracefully as I could told her I hoped she went into labor before then but to try not to be induced because of the risks, etc etc.
Well Thursday comes and she posts an update that they finally started "the first step in inducing her" (cervadil maybe?) at 7pm. Of course she is all comfortable in her hospital bed watching tv and waiting...
Then this morning the update is that she started pitocin at 6am and not much is happening. AHHHHHH!!!! I Just want to scream at them to just WAIT on their BABY and not try to make her body do something it's just not ready to do yet! It's SO frustrating. So I left this message: Is there any dilation/effacement/softening yet? Would they let you go home and try again later if there's no progression? You guys should do what *you're* comfortable with but maybe baby just isn't ready yet? Praying praying that things progress and go smoothly!
It's SO hard because I don't know her super well - her husband went to college with mine and they are pretty close. But she is a great girl and seems to have a good head on her shoulders and I totally thought she would know better than this!
Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I just really really hope this doesn't lead to a c-section. She is already pretty destined for an epi with pitocin starting...
Oh and what doctor induces that early? I thought they usually waited at least a week, this was just three days late! My babies were 5 and 6 days late and those extra few days in the long run didn't matter one bit!
Some people seem to think "due date" means "expiration date." If she doesn't have any medical condition to warrant induction, she's better off waiting especially if this is her first. Good luck waiting. I hope you get good news soon.
It takes 12 pounds of grain and 2500 gallons of water to produce ONE POUND of beef.
Livestock generates 65% of all human-related nitrous oxide, which is 296 times more warming to the environment than carbon dioxide; 37% of all human-related methane, which 23 times as warming as CO2; and 64 percent of ammonia, which contributes significantly to acid rain.
"If you care about the planet, it's actually better to eat a salad in a Hummer than a cheeseburger in a Prius."
-- Bill Maher
I was going to be induced three days after my edd with #2, because my first was 10# 10oz, and I was scared ds2 would be bigger. Thankfully, it didn't happen and ds2 was a pound smaller. With #1 I was almost railroaded into a section because the ob who backed up the mw didn't allow tol over 9 pounds. My mw induced and we had my big baby at home. I'm not a small girl either.
Depending on your friend's frame, estimates of the baby's size, and the policies of the hospital, this may be normal procedure--especially if your friend has allowed herself to get scared. I hope it all goes well!
DS 1 b. 1/19/09, DS 2 b. 1/12/11, DS 3 b. 3/3/13
Hope all is going well for her. Does sound the start of the induction train that leads to c/s. BTDT myself.
so sad and frustrating.
Homebirthing, breastfeeding, sling wearing, cloth diapering momma to 3 girls ages 7 and 6 year old twins and peanut #4 due sometime in late September
My neighbour told me here that I could ask for an induction at 38-39 weeks. I was shocked. My first was under 7 lbs at almost 42 weeks. I can't imagine if I'd asked for an induction at 38!
DD1 July 2008 (41w3d)
November 2010 (13 weeks)
DD2 August 2011 (33w5d)
A disheartening update:
I did find out that she had the baby about 24 hours after they started the induction. However, I just went on FB to check his weight (maybe they induced because he was big?), found he was 8 lbs 6 oz and ... that she had a c-section.
I just want to bang my head up against the wall. I wish we lived closer to them so I could have en-undated errr talked to her about options and knowing the facts, etc. and recommended Your Best Birth and told her to watch TBoBB etc.
I can't believe it; I just can't believe it. I was following it and knew where it was headed. They probably said she was failure to progress or had to up the pit so much that the baby freaked out and they had to do it "for the safety of the baby."
I HOPE HOPE HOPE that she gets support next time and doesn't just resort to a repeat c/s. I think I might have to send her some "encouraging" VBAC messages next time around (she'll probably have more, they love kids).
Anyway, thanks for letting me vent even more.
I know so many people that asked to be induced at 38-39 weeks when they are perfectly healthy. And most doctor's here in Texas will induce at 39 weeks on request. I'm so happy that March of Dimes has started their 39 week commercial. If you haven't seen it...March of Dimes 39 Weeks - YouTube
However, even though I don't agree with inducing for the sake of comfort, I try to stay out of people's business. I know I can't change everyone's mind about how to birth. But if this isn't how she planned it and she couldn't advocate for herself, then yes I feel bad that she didn't have support.
You're in a tough position because, its already happened and you can't change that for her. She might have lots of regrets and guilt going on. You really need to be careful with what you say to her. Just be happy for her and the baby.
I hope she and the baby are doing ok. In the end a healthy baby and healthy mom are all that matters.
I haven't seen the March of Dimes commercial but I have seen some of their ads. Great idea!
Yeah really I wouldn't dream of saying anything to her at this point about it. I'm just thinking about down the road and I have no problem asking her about a vbac when she's pregnant again.
And I'm also just venting here so I don't go crazy!