So I'm measuring two weeks ahead. I'm sure its just my chub- I'm no little thing. But I know I'm going to go in Wednesday for my appointment and u/s (they want to check the size of the baby) and they'll probably suggest an induction before he gets too big. And the problem is, I'm going to want to. Oh, I know I don't really want to, but I'm tired of being pregnant and ready to stop working. I know that an induction will hurt more than letting my body do what its supposed to do, and it could lead to a c-section. I know that my body has gone into labor on its own before and can do it again. I even know that the u/s is completely inaccurate at sizing babies in utero. But I'll still be tempted. And I hate that. I know you guys understand. We walk a fine line with OBs and natural childbirth. So I thought I'd just get my concerns out here. I'll take DH with me to tell me "no" when I'm exhausted from working and tempted to take the OB up on an early eviction.
Hey, I hear you- the end of pregnancy stinks and I don't blame you for wanting to meet your LO. But be strong! Your body has a far better idea of when the baby is ready than you do... more importantly, even if your baby is ready to meet the world, that doesn't mean your body is ready to push it out yet.
My friend just had a similar situation- she was measuring "really big" so at 38 weeks she got induced. She was on pitocin for over 48 hours, but her body just wasn't cooperating. It took 3 days of pitocin to finally get that baby out... at a "whopping" 6 pounds, 8 ounces. The baby is healthy and the mom is fine- lucky to not have a c-section, but fine. The point is... her body just wasn't ready.
If nothing else, remember that pitocin HURTS.
I have been measuring 2-3 weeks ahead this entire pregnancy as well, though my midwife says (from palpation) that it is more related to plenty of fluid (and the fact that I am short, small, 3rd baby and I have good sized babies) than to a giant baby.
Honestly I would not even get a sizing ultrasound ~ measuring 2 weeks ahead is still considered within the range of "normal" and the ultrasounds are SOOOO notoriously innacurate for estimating weight. I feel like it opens the door to unnecessary fears if they tell you that the baby is on the larger side, you know? An induction when not truly necessary can just be so much harder on you and on babythat I would hate to see you scared into one on what may be faulty information, you know?
How big was your other child and what week of gestation were they born?
Last edited by Potter75; 04-18-2010 at 03:28 PM.
I can totally see where you're torn. While this is my first child, I am already dying to meet her. Just try to keep in mind all the reasons you want to do it naturally. While the wait must be uncomfortable and difficult, I hope everything lets you have your baby the way you want to.
At both my NT and anatomy ultrasounds, the babe was measuring about a week ahead, but the dates are staying the same. It seems like everyone I know with kids has measured a week (or two) ahead as well. I hope they just see a healthy baby at your u/s and don't induce you unnecessarily.
The induced babies I know were all colicky after birth. This may not always be the case, but often enough! I'd prefer for baby's sake to wait it out. Let baby decide its birth date. I waited a full two weeks beyond the expected due date for my first child and everything was fine..and a fast delivery at that!
Leo (3 1/2) with Malcolm the cat
I am so glad that you feel safe to post your concerns and fears on this board. We all have concerns and fears. i am not so sure that measuring is a very accurate way to measure the size of the baby. I have never measured ahead, but I have had a 9 lb baby and a nearly 10 lb baby. hang in there, your baby will tell you when it's time!!!!
Yep - I hear you! I have a feeling that when I go in post-date on Thursday for my next appt. they will offer an induction -and I'll want to do it. Keep you head up - you know what's best for baby! I keep telling myself the same thing
Yeah I think I would refuse the u/s so you are not even tempted. But I know how you feel. I was measuring ahead for a long time until this one dropped and now I am right on, so who knows.
Just refuse the ultrasound! FWIW, I measured four weeks ahead with Tiven the entire time, and I went to 42 weeks with her and she was just shy of 9 pounds. With Weston, I measured perfectly almost every time and he was born at 41 weeks. He was 10lb 10oz. So there's some proof that those measurements are meaningless. Don't let them scare you into something you don't want or need.
David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!
I don't care how "accurate" they state ultrasounds -- they aren't. They told me that my daughter was 6lbs, 12oz at my last ultrasound. She was born being 5lbs,4oz. Please, for the sake of your baby and your own piece of mine, opt out of the induction. It only leads to trouble!