Ok so I was just wondering for moms of more than 2 how your 3rd and subsequent labors went? My midwives say that 2nd labors tend to be the most efficient (obviously not always the case!!) and then every labor after that is a wild card and may be super long, super short or anywhere in between. I am not preggo with 3 yet but just want to be prepared for when I am
So my first labor was 14 hrs and my second was 5 with only 2.5 of that being active labor. I really liked the 5 hr and I would be kind of scared for it to be faster than that!
DS Ethan 1/29/08,
DD Lola 2/2/10
DS2 Weston 2/18/12
My 2nd was 12 hours (8'4) my 3rd 48 (9.2). Fun times
Last edited by Potter75; 09-25-2010 at 06:20 PM.
1. 17 hours
2. 2.5 hours
3. 6 hours
4. less than 2 hours
1. 4 hrs (from water break, first ctx) - 6 pd 5 oz baby
2. 3 hrs 45 min (from first ctx, no SROM that time) - 9 pd baby
So second was only slightly shorter, but got out more than two pds of baby faster, so much more efficient.
My baby was LOA in the days before labor (my 3rd baby) but that and my first labor started with SROM. BOTH times it dropped baby into my pelvis in an ascylintic (sp?) position which ultimately led to them not coming out and agonizingly slow dilation/cervical lip/swelling due to them being so malpositioned/crooked in there. I officially hate and resent SROM My quick labor (well, quick for me) started without SROM.
I hate SROM too, Melis. My 3rd had SROM 12 hours before labour kicked in...and while it wasn't near the experience you had recently, it did mean I was doing squats on the stairs at 8cm to get his chin to flex. Uggg.
I am seriously wondering if this one has a nuchal hand too, like his last ultrasound indicated, and if that is arresting his dew cent a bit during all these bouts of prodromal labor. Hmm...
No experience here but I had to post to say that you're siggy pic is ADORABLE!
1. 1 day of prodromal labor, followed by active labor about 5am the next day...DD1 born at 8:44pm. So 12+ hours of labor.
2. Woke up at around 3am with mild contractions, DD2 born at 8am - About 5 hours, but I don't know how long I was contracting while I was sleeping.
3. Contractions started around 7pm - very inconsistent. Things picked up around 9-9:30pm. DD3 born at 2:46am - about 8 hours total, 5.5hours of active labor.
I agree that baby's position can change length of labor. DD1 was also asynclitic, and I was also stuck at a 5 for 6 hours. It wasn't until AROM that I went from 5-10cm in 1.5 hours. DD2 & 3 were in much better positions to start, plus I knew what needed to be done for a quicker labor (I was better at relaxing myself and changing positions).