So with my current OB, I have a choice to deliver at one of two hospitals. I am pretty happy with the choice that I initially made (hospital A), and later found out that the c-section rate at the one I DIDN'T choose (hospital is the highest in the state (though still in line with the national average). So I was completely on board with my choice, especially after our tour of my chosen hospital - I had a good feeling. But after talking with my new prenatal chiropractor who gave me some resources to check out, I've found some interesting info that's making me wonder if I shouldn't consider the other hospital (B) instead.
The hospital that I chose is NCB friendly - has tubs in most of the L&D rooms (I can request one when I admit and as long as one is free, I can have it), and has waterproof remote monitors, but they do not allow you to have a water birth, which didn't seem like a big deal.
But the other hospital (B), besides having the highest c/s rate in the state, has on-staff CNMs. There are no tubs in the labor rooms, but they have a portable labor tub and actually allow water births. I'm not clear on how many they have, though, and I run the risk of not getting one. In addition, they don't have waterproof remote monitors, so I'd have to get out of the tub (if I had it) once an hour to be monitored. But what got me most excited was what I learned last night from my birth class instructor. That hospital has now begun to offer acupuncture for pain management during labor!! How awesome is that??
The funny thing is that I'm not even sure that I am really all that interested in an actual water birth - I know that I would like to labor in the tub, or at least try it, though, and I think my chances of getting a room with a tub at hospital A are better than my chance of getting a portable tub at hospital B... so that seems like a no-brainer. Though it would really be nice to have the option of a water birth if I were to decide that's what I felt like that day. And the acupuncture option doesn't necessarily feel like it overrides the good things about my chosen hospital (A), especially knowing that B has a higher c/s rate.
I'm familiar with hospital B because I had my other three kids there, but so much has changed in 8 years - I didn't have the knowledge to even desire anything natural back then, nor did they have all that stuff there 8 years ago. And DH really wants hospital A, rather than B, so there is that to consider, too.
Anyway, this has really turned into more of a ramble than anything else... I guess I just need to sort it all out and decide what's more important to me... but any insight from you all might be helpful.