My 1 hour test came back abnormal *update at the bottom!!*
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: My 1 hour test came back abnormal *update at the bottom!!*

  1. #1
    redmachchick
    Guest

    Default My 1 hour test came back abnormal *update at the bottom!!*



    I just got the letter in the mail with a lab slip to go back and do the 3 hour test...

    I'm really upset and I don't want to do it...I know how unreliable the tests are. I'm thinking about asking for the 1 hour test over again because you can get a different result every time you take it. This sucks. I'm going to call my ex-midwife and talk to her...doing the 1 hour test already went beyond my principals and beliefs and I just don't trust it....

    For those who don't know me I have a huge distrust of the OB system... The only reason I took this test was because everytime I eat chocolate and certain sweets I get nauseous and it was worrying me.... I have no other risk factors or symptoms. I do not have a midwife here since we are moving in a month I'm seeing a OB until we move to Hawaii and I will be going to a homebirth midwife. Last pregnancy my midwife just had me eat a huge breakfast and check my sugar 2 hours later. I would have done this this time if I HAD a midwife...I asked my OB for this test but she didn't want to do it and insisted on the 1 hour test.

    I don't want a unreliable test to put me out for a homebirth either. I'm going to have to call my new mw in Hawaii and get her input on all this....

    I don't want to do all this for no reason...I don't want some doctor pushing stuff down my throat either. I've heard of women who's Docs told them they needed insulin and they came to find out they didn't.

    So I'm freaking out!!!! I hope someone here understands and can give me some advice...I was afraid to post this on my BB.
    Last edited by redmachchick; 04-12-2010 at 09:55 AM.

  2. #2
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Do you know what your # was? Did you fail by a little or a lot? That would influence my next step.

  3. #3
    kvo
    kvo is offline
    Posting Addict kvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    11,567

    Default

    Is this the first one you've had? If not, did you get the same result during your prior pgs? Or do you know what you glucose level is typically? I have always been on the high end of normal and diabetes runs rampant in my family, so I get my levels checked every year or two anyway. I knew I'd fail the 1-hour. I failed it by 2 points; last pg I failed by 4 pts. It just means you are on the high end of normal so it's a better safe than sorry to do the more comprehensive test.

    The 3-hour is really unpleasant and made me feel sick for the rest of the day both times. I believe having GD does mean a hospital birth, so if you know what your levels are typically, you were just a couple points over, or you had the same kind of result with prior pgs and did not have GD, then I think you would be safe declining.
    *Kristen*
    DD-Zoe July 2007
    DS-Liam June 2010




  4. #4
    redmachchick
    Guest

    Default

    I have no clue what the # is and I'm going to call asap on monday to find out how high it was.

    My first pregnancy I did do the 1 hour test and passed and last pregnancy I just had my finger sticked and sugar tested by my mw and that came back great!

    I wish I knew what my levels normally were but I don't so I'm thinking that I MAY do the 1 hour again. I also am going to call my (ex) mw here soon and see if she'll come do a finger-stick and check my sugars again. I know there are some other tests you can do instead of the 1 hour and 3 hour but I'll have to get the names of the tests and do some research. Last but not least I've been sitting here thinking that I may just go ahead and treat myself as though I have GD and change my diet ...AND then go do that 1 hour test...and probably just keep a better diet throughout the rest of my pregnancy.... Well thats what's been going through my head these last few minutes anyway...

  5. #5
    Posting Addict AJsmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,625

    Default

    I don't blame you for not wanting to do the 3 hour. I did it on Wednesday and it is so miserable. I failed the 1 hour screening, but I wasn't even close (like 30 points off). I felt like it was important to know for sure even though I've been eating pretty well. The same thing happened with my DD - I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3.

    It sounds like with your history, you'd be okay declining. I hope you get it figured out.
    -Shannon-
    Audrey, 3.20.07

    Gus, 6.23.10

    Newbie due, 11.1.13

  6. #6
    Mega Poster krazykat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    TN/KY Line
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redmachchick View Post
    Last but not least I've been sitting here thinking that I may just go ahead and treat myself as though I have GD and change my diet ...AND then go do that 1 hour test...and probably just keep a better diet throughout the rest of my pregnancy.... Well thats what's been going through my head these last few minutes anyway...
    I was going to suggest this exactly. What you eat the couple of days before and especially the night before can drastically affect your blood sugar. I would stay HIGH in protein, and away from white (bread, sugar, pasta). If you can, eat whole-wheat as much as possible. The wheat helps keep your sugars more stable instead of the white which spikes it up and then drops it out (leaving you with the nauseous feeling). Things like fruit and fruit juice will also spike your sugar real quick. You may already know all this But I just thought I would add my two cents
    Ariel & John: Military Family since May 17, 2006

    Sylvia: 12/18/08, Justus: 9/17/10, Bunni: 5/11/12, Surprise Baby: Guess Date 11/5/13



  7. #7
    redmachchick
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    I was going to suggest this exactly. What you eat the couple of days before and especially the night before can drastically affect your blood sugar. I would stay HIGH in protein, and away from white (bread, sugar, pasta). If you can, eat whole-wheat as much as possible. The wheat helps keep your sugars more stable instead of the white which spikes it up and then drops it out (leaving you with the nauseous feeling). Things like fruit and fruit juice will also spike your sugar real quick. You may already know all this But I just thought I would add my two cents

    Yeah what you said exactly! I eat wheat all the time...yum!

    The only problem is getting this OB to let me re-take the test...I'm hoping she won't give me a problem with it. I really didn't watch what I ate the day/night before the test(heck, or the two days before that either) in fact I ate a HUGE HUGE meal and drank some of hubby's coke too since the waiter never came back to refill my water.

    If my numbers is just a point or two high I'm not going to worry so much but if its really high I may rethink my options....we will have to wait and see what they are...

    I talked to my mw (the one here) via text and she said I can totally decline the 3 hour and just change my diet and cut out refined sugars and start checking my blood-sugar myself and if thats fine and everything is low then there should be no problem with me still having a homebirth.

    I'm still anxious to talk to my new mw...she is a Naturopathic Dr and a midwife so I'm probably right in thinking we'll probably be along the same lines in philosophy and thinking...

    I'm off to look at Dr. Brewers website....

  8. #8
    Mega Poster krazykat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    TN/KY Line
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redmachchick View Post
    Yeah what you said exactly! I eat wheat all the time...yum!

    The only problem is getting this OB to let me re-take the test...I'm hoping she won't give me a problem with it. I really didn't watch what I ate the day/night before the test(heck, or the two days before that either) in fact I ate a HUGE HUGE meal and drank some of hubby's coke too since the waiter never came back to refill my water.

    If my numbers is just a point or two high I'm not going to worry so much but if its really high I may rethink my options....we will have to wait and see what they are...

    I talked to my mw (the one here) via text and she said I can totally decline the 3 hour and just change my diet and cut out refined sugars and start checking my blood-sugar myself and if thats fine and everything is low then there should be no problem with me still having a homebirth.

    I'm still anxious to talk to my new mw...she is a Naturopathic Dr and a midwife so I'm probably right in thinking we'll probably be along the same lines in philosophy and thinking...

    I'm off to look at Dr. Brewers website....
    The Brewer Diet is wonderful!! If you need any ideas on meals, or meal plans, please let me know. I write out my whole week's worth of meals, and I typically get 100-120 grams of protein in a day. I found the diet overwhelming when I first looked at it, but it isn't really that hard if you just plan. One thing we found that is really good is Greek yogurt. If you can get the individual cups, they already have fruit in them, and they are awesome... but if you can only get the larger tubs, we add fruit and some splenda. It is a very rich taste but contains 14-20 grams of protein per serving and is just a stronger tasting version of yogurt. The problem with plain yogurt is it often has a lot of sugar and is not very rich in protein per serving. I get most of my meal ideas from the Eating for Life book by Bill Phillips. I like the recipes b/c they don't have a ton of crazy ingredients, and they are often very quick to prepare. They are also high in protein and balanced with carbs (since carbs are still very important to any healthy diet).

    I'm glad you got some reassurance from the MW... and as far as the OB, you can ALWAYS request a second opinion when it comes to medical care, so I would probably pull that card. Either that, or like PP said, see what your numbers were and then refuse the 3-hr if they weren't that far off. I'm not giving medical advice at all, just what I would probably do in that situation.

    GL talking to the new MW!! I am sure she will have a different view than your OB. How much longer until you get to start seeing her? If it isn't too long can you just forget about the OB for now?
    Ariel & John: Military Family since May 17, 2006

    Sylvia: 12/18/08, Justus: 9/17/10, Bunni: 5/11/12, Surprise Baby: Guess Date 11/5/13



  9. #9
    redmachchick
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    The Brewer Diet is wonderful!! If you need any ideas on meals, or meal plans, please let me know. I write out my whole week's worth of meals, and I typically get 100-120 grams of protein in a day. I found the diet overwhelming when I first looked at it, but it isn't really that hard if you just plan. One thing we found that is really good is Greek yogurt. If you can get the individual cups, they already have fruit in them, and they are awesome... but if you can only get the larger tubs, we add fruit and some splenda. It is a very rich taste but contains 14-20 grams of protein per serving and is just a stronger tasting version of yogurt. The problem with plain yogurt is it often has a lot of sugar and is not very rich in protein per serving. I get most of my meal ideas from the Eating for Life book by Bill Phillips. I like the recipes b/c they don't have a ton of crazy ingredients, and they are often very quick to prepare. They are also high in protein and balanced with carbs (since carbs are still very important to any healthy diet).

    I'm glad you got some reassurance from the MW... and as far as the OB, you can ALWAYS request a second opinion when it comes to medical care, so I would probably pull that card. Either that, or like PP said, see what your numbers were and then refuse the 3-hr if they weren't that far off. I'm not giving medical advice at all, just what I would probably do in that situation.

    GL talking to the new MW!! I am sure she will have a different view than your OB. How much longer until you get to start seeing her? If it isn't too long can you just forget about the OB for now?
    I did the Brewers Diet with my last pregnancy...because I had pre-e/pih with my first. I found it to be a LOT of food...LOL I was going by the "guidelines" and just trying to keep up on my protein for this one but I have been slacking as of late. So I am definately going to do a "refresher" on the diet.

    That would be AWESOME of you to share some of your meal plans/ideas with me! Thats my biggest hurdle with diets and even last time was figuring out what I was going to eat! I'm planning on going shopping tommorrow for some things I'll need and eat really good and clean the whole week and then go do the 1hr on thurs/fri.

    I didn't know that about greek yogurt!!! I like it too! I also like the stonyfield brand organic yogurt it just has a full taste..yum!

    I need to figure out what I'm going to use for sugar. I probably will use a little stevia/splenda but I read up on another thing to use and I can't for the life remember what it is!! Agave nectar? (I think?) I'll have to do some research....haha I'm always researching...I do more research during pregnancy than I did in school!

    Oh we are moving the 2nd or 3rd week of May...I'll be 32-33 weeks then..I still have a bit to go...I would LOVE to not see the OB but I just have one more appt and my anatomy scan so I'm just "toughing it out"

    I'll keep ya'll posted on my numbers when I get them.

  10. #10
    Mega Poster krazykat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    TN/KY Line
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    Hey, tried to send this via PM, but you are full

    Oh yeah, I forgot to add that once I got back into eating my small, balanced meals w/plenty of protein, my cravings have eased off significantly. Sweets are a vicious cycle; the more you eat them, the more you want them.

    Here is where I got my basic nutritional guidelines (and some great recipes) if you are interested: http://www.transformation.com/challenge/2010/nutrition/

    If you eat like detailed in the link, it is really easy to get all the Brewer Diet requirements. The only things I do differently are when recipes call for the "Right" drink powder that is advertised, that is where I put in the EAS soy protein (it is cheaper that's why I chose it). And I am also not so focused on low-fat everything while I am pregnant.

    And just FYI (for after-baby weight), this is the program I did after DD, and here is my profile: http://www.transformation.com/ariel_elizabeth2002

    This is the first program I have found that WORKS. And it is so healthy that you can continue eating like that during pregnancy... I guess that's why they call it Eating for Life
    Ariel & John: Military Family since May 17, 2006

    Sylvia: 12/18/08, Justus: 9/17/10, Bunni: 5/11/12, Surprise Baby: Guess Date 11/5/13



+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions