Opinions?? Sweeping membranes...

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681
Opinions?? Sweeping membranes...

Okay, so I know the pros and cons, but I'm in kind of a unique situation... I'm 35 weeks with baby #5 and my mw brought up starting doing S&S when I'm 37 weeks. Reason being, my last baby was 12lbs at 38 wks. I should add that my other kids were all 40+ weeks and 10ish lbs and I've gone into labors naturally each time.

My dd (the 12lb one) was born at home, without any complications. Labor was a bit longer and definitely harder pushing than with my previous delivery and as my mw put it, I "had to push until her legs came out"... It was still only an 8 minute second stage and like I said, everything was fine.

This time around, I'm measuring big again (I always do), though not as big as last time - 4 weeks ahead vs 7 weeks! I still feel huge, but I can't say I feel bigger than last time.

In general, I prefer to let things happen on their own and not try to bring on labor. After all that worked last time, it was the first time I was early and I'm awfully glad to have delivered her when I did, not a couple weeks later. I do believe my body knew it was time.

Still though, I see the logic in being cautious and maybe gently prompting labor sooner rather than later. I really don't want to push out a baby bigger than that! And since I'll be at home, I don't want to do anything to increase my risk for a dystocia.

Just wondering what people's thought are... What would you all do in my situation? I can make a pretty good argument for either choice and flip-flop back and forth between what I want to do.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4099

Under your circumstances, I'd do it pretty much without a second thought. I'd also avoid pretty much avoid all sugar & fruit the next few weeks, too, just to try to help keep baby from getting that big again.

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"Spacers" wrote:

Under your circumstances, I'd do it pretty much without a second thought. I'd also avoid pretty much avoid all sugar & fruit the next few weeks, too, just to try to help keep baby from getting that big again.

Oh I should mention I've been checking my blood sugars regularly just to err on the side of caution (I've always passed my GD screenings) and been in touch with the diabetes nurse... My sugars have been absolutely perfect. I've loosely stuck to the GD diet and have only gained 15 lbs.

I suspect I just grow large babies. The smallest baby on my mom's side of the family in 3 generations was 8lb 13oz and my grandfather was 13 lbs!

I guess I feel I should just trust my body to do what it needs to. It hasn't let me down yet. But, a S&S is pretty safe.

I appreciate hearing peoples perspectives and rationales.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4099

I'm pretty sure I remember in your last lodge that you mentioned your family history of big babies, and I know you've never been GD. But with any big baby the usual concern is belly fat, and sugar settles on the belly, that's just a given, so avoiding sugar helps avoid excess belly fat regardless of GD status or baby's eventual weight, and that's never a bad thing.

tink9702's picture
Joined: 09/28/08
Posts: 2977

hmmm, I think I'd wait until 38 weeks, not 37 especially since you are measuring 4 weeks ahead and not 7 like last time. Just my initial reaction to your situation though. You can always wait until 37 weeks and then make the decision.

cactuswren's picture
Joined: 10/19/09
Posts: 4658

I don't think it will do much if your body isn't ready, but could tip the balance by a few days. If you think that's enough, given your history, to make a difference then go for it. But you pushed out a twelve pounder in 8 minutes already! I kind of wouldn't spend too much time worrying after that...it took me 2 hours to push out 8!

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"Spacers" wrote:

I'm pretty sure I remember in your last lodge that you mentioned your family history of big babies, and I know you've never been GD. But with any big baby the usual concern is belly fat, and sugar settles on the belly, that's just a given, so avoiding sugar helps avoid excess belly fat regardless of GD status or baby's eventual weight, and that's never a bad thing.

True and I agree it certainly doesn't hurt, which is why I've been mostly sticking to a GD anyways. Heck, even if it doesn't make a difference for the baby, it will help me gain less and have an easier job post-partum! My kiddos have all been 22ish inches long and DD had a pretty big head, but she was definitely chubby Smile

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"tink9702" wrote:

hmmm, I think I'd wait until 38 weeks, not 37 especially since you are measuring 4 weeks ahead and not 7 like last time. Just my initial reaction to your situation though. You can always wait until 37 weeks and then make the decision.

This is sort of what I'm thinking. Just wait and play it by ear. Last time I was going to get the sweep at the 38 week appt but the whole family was sick with the flu and the day I was going to call the mw to come and do it, I went into labor naturally.

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"cactuswren" wrote:

I don't think it will do much if your body isn't ready, but could tip the balance by a few days. If you think that's enough, given your history, to make a difference then go for it. But you pushed out a twelve pounder in 8 minutes already! I kind of wouldn't spend too much time worrying after that...it took me 2 hours to push out 8!

lol! Remember she was my 4th and the others weren't tiny either... The way had been paved! You'll be quick next time around Smile

Even though my history is pretty good when it comes to birthing big babies, I just worry because at some point they just might not fit - either due to size or positioning. But, whether a few days will make a difference it worth considering.

jolly11sd's picture
Joined: 02/02/05
Posts: 3327

I also had the inital reaction of waiting until 38 weeks if you decide to go with the sweep. Just seems closer to the end and a good extra week to bake and get all that awesome brain development. I can totally see why you'd like to encourage labor at that point though with your last LO being 12lbs at 38 weeks. I'd be doing the same I think.

krazykat's picture
Joined: 08/11/07
Posts: 1143

I'd trust your gut. I had the feeling this whole pregnancy that this baby was going to be smaller than my others, and she was! 12 oz smaller than DS and a full pound smaller than DD. So if you aren't measuring bigger and have a feeling baby isn't as big, then I wouldn't stress. That being said, I really don't believe that a S&S will do much if your body isn't ready anyways. So of you are teetering on the edge of labor, then it might work but if you're a good ways out I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Log in or register to post comments