Stripping of the membranes ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Stripping of the membranes ?

  1. #1
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    with my family
    Posts
    3,792

    Default Stripping of the membranes ?

    Just wondering if anyone has had this done and what your experience was like ? I'm 38 weeks & 4 days pregnant and my OB wants to strip my membranes at my next appt. I'll be 39 weeks & 3 days the next time I see her. I've never had this done before, so I'm feeling a little unsure about it. I'm in no hurry to have this baby and really don't care if I make it to my due date, so I kind of don't see the point of doing it. I went into labor naturally at 40 weeks with my first and with my second I had to be induced at 38 weeks due to high blood pressure issues. He was no where near ready to come and I ended up with a C-sec. I'm going for a natural VBAC this time around and want to avoid intervention as much as possible. My OB will not induce because I want a VBAC, and she doesn't want me to go past my due date because my first son was 8 lbs, 6 ounces and my second was 9 lbs, 3 ounces. She is also worried because my first sons shoulders got stuck on the way out. I told her I was lying almost flat on my back while pushing and that I now know that the position you are in while pushing makes a big difference. That's why I don't want the epidural this time. I want to be able to move around and to be in a better position while pushing. I am only .5 centimetres dilated at this point, so I really don't feel that my body is ready anyway. Plus, this baby is measuring right on target (55th percentile) so it doesn't look like he/she will be as big as my second.

    Is it something that would definitely send me into labor ? Are there risks to having it done ? I'd just like some more info on it before I decide whether or not to have it done. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide me with some more info on it.
    Nathalie




  2. #2
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Even though they can do a S&S multiple times, you really only get one good chance at it (the first time it's done). I'd wait until at least 40 weeks to do it. You said you went into labour around 40 weeks, with your other babies, so why not wait until at least then?

    It's not something that will guarantee labour, it's just something that might help out if your body is gearing up... just like sex, just like castor oil, just like EPO... etc. One of the risks to a S&S would be that they accidentally rupture your water, and if your body isn't ready for labour and this happens then that could be a problem and lead to interventions (especially if contractions don't start).

    If I were you, I would wait. My midwife didn't consider a S&S until 41 weeks (I birthed at 40+3, so I never needed it). Also, with big babies, fat squishes and (presumably) you will be in a better birthing position (rather than flat on your back)
    ~*Alison*~
    Married my golfer 10/2009
    Mr. Monkey 09/2010
    Mr. Buggy 09/2012


  3. #3
    Posting Addict ourfirstblessing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,631

    Default

    will your ob start to get pushy about getting baby here right at 40 wks? will they 'let' you go past your edd? honestly stripping the membranes (like all other natural induction methods) won't do anything until your body it ready. If I knew my ob was going to get pushy about getting bb here b/c of the vbac i would consider doing it at the 39 wks appt. It such a personal decision though so do what you are comfy with. Also, someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i thought you had to be a litte bit dialeted (more than.5) to do it b/c they had to 'get in there'...either way GL with your vbac, i hope it works out perfectly!
    ~Kristen~
    <3 Dh Jason 3/22/03
    ~Connor~ 7/26/07
    ~Isaac~ 11/20/08
    ~Colin~ 2/8/12
    Baby #4 11/24/13

  4. #4
    Posting Addict momW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Smalltown, Illinois
    Posts
    8,403

    Default

    Yes, what PP's said.

    I was a VBA2C with my last baby and my OB mentioned doing sweeps starting around 39 weeks. I tend to have big babies (9lb7oz and 8lb7oz both 39 week inductions). I was leery of letting him do it. I was playing a wait and see. I'm sure if he had gotten pushy heading into 40 weeks I probably would've agreed to it but probably not before. I ended up not needing it as I barely made it to 36 weeks before my LO jumped ship.

    It's one of those natural inductions methods that I'm very "meh" about. I've heard and read about this method and it seems like if your body's ready, it'll help, if not it won't, so it seems kind of mox nix to me. If you are gearing up, then you're almost there naturally anyway so why go through the discomfort of a sweep. But as a PP said, it's a very personal decision.

  5. #5
    Posting Addict tink9702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,621

    Default

    Hi Nathalie!!!

    Here is a site that I found regarding membrane stripping.
    http://www.midwife.org/ACNM/files/cc...0Membranes.pdf

    I also keep seeing a lot of caution regarding if you are GBS+. I don't remember if you are (I think it was you having that discussion but I'm pretty fuzzy today!), but I think I wouldn't take that risk if I was. Also since you aren't dialated, it's not likely to help. If baby is only estimated at 55% the "big baby" card doesn't really apply IMHO. I also agree with your assessment regarding Matthieu's shoulders, that the position could have made a big difference. I would negotiate with your OB and say that you'll only do it at exactly 40 weeks. That gives you an extra 4 days, and because of the New Years holiday you'd probably have until the 3rd to actually see your OB again, which is actually 40 weeks 2 days. Your body should be more ready by then anyway!
    ~~Mel

    Ethan - June 21, 2009
    Olivia - December 5, 2010
    5w3d - October/November 2012

    My Ovulation Chart

  6. #6
    Posting Addict Lots-o-Tots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    Stripping of membranes is only going to get labor started if your body is ready to go into labor anyway. If it's not, it can be a pointless, frustrating experience that ends up leading to more interventions.

    My experience with S & S is as follows:

    My OB stripped my membranes at about 39 weeks with my first baby - only I didn't even know that's what he was doing (he didn't ask or inform me; I only figured it out later). Shortly thereafter I started leaking fluid (I'm guessing he caused a small tear in my bag of waters), and contractions were very sporadic over the next several days. I ended up having to be induced with Pitocin because of the leaking fluid. The whole thing was a very negative experience.

    With my twins, I asked my OB (a different one, btw) to strip my membranes at around 38 weeks and I went into labor that night.

    With Lilah, my first home birth, I asked my mw to strip my membranes around my due date. I had never gone to my due date before and I couldn't believe I was still pregnant! She stripped me, and nothing happened. I ended up having over a week of prodromal labor (and she stripped me a few more times to try to get things going), and Lilah still didn't come until 9 days past her EDD. It was extremely discouraging and exhausting, and it was all due to my own impatience and trying to make things happen the way I wanted them to happen.

    I definitely wouldn't consent to it before your due date.
    Lisa - Mom to:
    Kevin 1.10.97
    Joey 7.2.02
    Annabelle & Daisy 9.22.04
    Lilah 10.3.06
    Finn 7.7.08
    Scarlett 6.23.12

    My blogs:
    Life As I Know It
    Turn the Page


  7. #7
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    with my family
    Posts
    3,792

    Default

    Thank you so much for all the replies. I've read up on it some more and I've decided that I don't want it done. The risk that the bag of waters could be ruptured accidentally worries me because if that happens and my body is not ready to go into labor, that will lead me straight to a repeat c-section. My OB has already said that she doesn't use Pitocin etc.. on VBAC patient, so if my labor stalls that would mean a C-sec. I don't feel right about having it done anyway. I think the baby should come when he/she is ready. If I am overdue, that is a different story, but I'll be only 4 days away from my due date when I see her next, so I am perfectly happy with waiting. I went into labor right at 40 weeks with my first and I don't mind at all if I go all the way to my due date again. I really appreciate you all sharing your experiences with me. You helped make my decision much easier.

    Quote Originally Posted by tink9702 View Post
    I also keep seeing a lot of caution regarding if you are GBS+. I don't remember if you are (I think it was you having that discussion but I'm pretty fuzzy today!), but I think I wouldn't take that risk if I was.
    Hey Mel. Yes, I am GBS+. Thank you so much for sharing that link. I may print it out to bring with me at my next appt.
    Nathalie




  8. #8
    Posting Addict Starryblue702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    6,217

    Default

    I've never had it done (never needed to), but from what all I've read and heard on here, you should wait to have it done until you're past your due date. Also, it really won't do much unless your body is ready to go into labor. I would wait on it... that baby will come when they are good and ready!!!
    Krystal & Donovan - 12/2/06
    Reagan - 10/2/02
    Maximus - 3/10/05
    Liberty - 12/11/08
    Trystan- 11/22/11
    My angel in Heaven 1/7/13

  9. #9
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe&Matt View Post
    Thank you so much for all the replies. I've read up on it some more and I've decided that I don't want it done. The risk that the bag of waters could be ruptured accidentally worries me because if that happens and my body is not ready to go into labor, that will lead me straight to a repeat c-section. My OB has already said that she doesn't use Pitocin etc.. on VBAC patient, so if my labor stalls that would mean a C-sec. I don't feel right about having it done anyway. I think the baby should come when he/she is ready. If I am overdue, that is a different story, but I'll be only 4 days away from my due date when I see her next, so I am perfectly happy with waiting. I went into labor right at 40 weeks with my first and I don't mind at all if I go all the way to my due date again. I really appreciate you all sharing your experiences with me. You helped make my decision much easier.
    Please look into this yourself and don't just take your doctor's word for it. Pitocin has been proven safe in VBAC situations where labor has stalled -- when it's used with caution. Augmenting with a bit of Pitocin is a much safer option than moving straight to RCS if labor stalls. The VBAC protocol is to start low, go slow, turn it off when a good pattern gets going, and don't go too high. My hospital's VBAC protocol is to start at 2 milliunits/min and increase by 2mu every hour, and they wll not go above 10 milliunits/min unless you have an internal fetal monitor *and* you're making progress. The problem is that too many hospitals have a standard "Pitocin protocol" which is to start at 2, up it to 4 after 30 minutes, and then up it by 4 every half hour, so you'll be at 20mu in 2.5 hours, and they just refuse to do it for VBACs instead of having an alternate protocol. If your labor stalls & you aren't comfortable with moving straight to RCS, remember that the doctors & nurses work for you, so tell them you won't consent to RCS without at least trying a bit of Pitocin. But watch the dosage, whenever anyone comes to tinker with your IV, ask what they're doing! Good luck to you!
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  10. #10
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    It did not work for me even after i was way over due. It hurt really bad and i bled heavily for 2weeks after that and was in a lot of pain. I would not recommend. I tried many things to give birth, stripping the membranes, squats, hot foods, castor oil. The castor oil works but it is discusting and makes you crap I mean a lot. NOt fun, it's embarrassing.
    hope good for u..

    http://www.implantationbleedinginsight.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions